Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Myobi

Liturgist
Well you have the choice to ignore the notifications and not waste your time on me but you just have to make it your duty to include your self in everything concerning me...

…Of course I could, but how would I take your offer of laughing at yet another failure then?

Reading an online thread doesn’t make anyone a stalker mate, just like gluing assets together doesn’t make you a game developer.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
... and how many times have we been over that in this thread by now?

42?

IDk man, but Jim is my friend and hes a good guy who just doesnt see some things in the same light as we might. He's being legit regarding everything he says because he really and genuinely believes it and for whatever reason does not take past experiences and problems into account when deciding future plans.

I've been friends with Jim since shortly after this entire fiasco with GM and the whole "making an mmorpg" is frustrating, maddening and makes me want to pull my hair out- But every single time he sincerely believes "this time will be different" and hes not just saying it but really believes it.

There is nothing you, I or anyone can say about starting and finishing small projects and working up- About budget- About anything.

Trolling people and going after shady devs/people can be fun and some people deserve it. Fucking with certain people can be fun, especially when they can sling shit right back at you. Thats not the case here although I understand why some people might believe it is- There are underlying issues in this whole situation.

Jim doesnt mean anyone any harm- Hes not asking for money. He's not trying to start a project and hide his involvement in it.

Using logic and looking at things from afar, I can totally understand what peoples perception is of the entire situation. However, this isnt a normal situation when things like logic or cause and effect have any bearing.

-Just saying.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Honestly I really have nothing to lose. Worst case it turns into just a time waster project that I can do in my spare time or I completely and utterly fail and give up but I've had fun in the process. Most likely case I ended up with a small game my guild and a few other people can play together. Best case I'm able to succeed, get the prototype done, build a team, and make a go of it. Honestly which ever case ends up happening I'll be perfectly happy. At the very worst I'll have fun for a little while. Nothing wrong with that.

Once I get to the point where I have the prototype done and I'm starting to build a team that's when I'll start getting more serious about it. Until then it's more a hobby project that I want to get feedback on.

Myobi

Liturgist
... and how many times have we been over that in this thread by now?

42?

IDk man, but Jim is my friend and hes a good guy who just doesnt see some things in the same light as we might. He's being legit regarding everything he says because he really and genuinely believes it and for whatever reason does not take past experiences and problems into account when deciding future plans.

I've been friends with Jim since shortly after this entire fiasco with GM and the whole "making an mmorpg" is frustrating, maddening and makes me want to pull my hair out- But every single time he sincerely believes "this time will be different" and hes not just saying it but really believes it.

There is nothing you, I or anyone can say about starting and finishing small projects and working up- About budget- About anything.

Trolling people and going after shady devs/people can be fun and some people deserve it. Fucking with certain people can be fun, especially when they can sling shit right back at you. Thats not the case here although I understand why some people might believe it is- There are underlying issues in this whole situation.

Jim doesnt mean anyone any harm- Hes not asking for money. He's not trying to start a project and hide his involvement in it.

Using logic and looking at things from afar, I can totally understand what peoples perception is of the entire situation. However, this isnt a normal situation when things like logic or cause and effect have any bearing.

-Just saying.

Oh, I know that he actually believes what he says, because your friend Jim is absolutely bonkers.

Logic, common sense, humility, reality, it’s like he never heard about any of that shit.

However, let’s not pretend here that nothing harmful may come out of shit like this… may I remind you that last time he pretended to be a big ass game developer, he got “hired” by a con artist and helped scamming 100,000$ to a bunch of people, plus stumbling upon links like this one:

http://www.kongregate.com/users/6417994/posts#posts-11721662

Kind of goes against the “it’s not like his asking for money!”, doesn’t it?

Myobi

Liturgist
lol SO what are you saying? Even if I have a Playable released game I shouldn't monetize it at all? lol

It’s pretty impressive how that’s what you take from all I wrote.

No dude, I’m saying you’ll never make a playable game, like ever.

Hang on, I got a list here somewhere, I’ll show you… ah there you go:

... and I'm 100% positive that I missed a lot more.

You can't finish a space invaders clone or a clicker game, yet here you stand thinking about ways of monetizing a MMORPG.

If you truly can't grasp how ridiculous that is, and how harmful it may be for the idiots out there who actually believe in the shit you go around spewing, you seriously have a problem.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
It’s pretty impressive how that’s what you take from all I wrote.

No dude, I’m saying you’ll never make a playable game, like ever.

Hang on, I got a list here somewhere, I’ll show you… ah there you go:

... and I'm 100% positive that I missed a lot more.

You can't finish a space invaders clone or a clicker game, yet here you stand thinking about ways of monetizing a MMORPG.

If you truly can't grasp how ridiculous that is, and how harmful it may be for the idiots out there who actually believe in the shit you go around spewing, you seriously have a problem.

lol I haven't said anything about thinking of ways to Monetize RoH. The ONLY thing I said about Monetizing RoH was that it wouldn't be until the game was complete and was ready to launch.

Myobi

Liturgist
lol I haven't said anything about thinking of ways to Monetize RoH. The ONLY thing I said about Monetizing RoH was that it wouldn't be until the game was complete and was ready to launch.

It's just like talking to a fucking lettuce.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I died and revived and this thread is still happening and what the actual fuck :lol:

hes-alive-hes-alive.jpg

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Wow, I died and revived and this thread is still happening and what the actual fuck :lol:
Did you ever think that perhaps you were never really revived and are actually on the 'other side' right now or experiencing that last flash of your brains life and your mind is filling in the blanks and providing a suitable ending?

Once this game releases everything is going to fade to black...

Myobi

Liturgist
Everything will fade to black way before this guy releases shit at all.

Honestly no one would give a flying fuck about it, if he just kept it to himself, but no, as soon as he manages to glue a couple of assets together off he runs off to social media to make some sort of fucking announcement about it. I understand that lots of great games have been made by tiny teams and even single-developers that started as simple hobbies, I mean, fuck, look at Stardew Valley, it’s not even an original concept, it’s a simple looking yet improved version of Harvest Moon series made by one fucking guy that had never had made a single video game in his life, yet is now one of the top selling indie games, and it’s all over every bloody platform…

James is just not it, he already proved that he can’t finish shit at all, over and over, no matter how simple it may be, not a Space Invaders clone, not a browser clicker game, not a Minecraft copy and certainly not a fucking “do-all-you-want-cuz-fuck-limitations-MMORPG-survival” horseshit.

… again, it wouldn’t be a problem, if he didn’t go around doing shit like joining projects like Greed Monger as a “Game Developer”, or by rubbing salt on the people he helped scamming by doing Facebook groups to announce yet another attempt on the fucking project just to give up weeks later, and I won’t even start on the mere though of adding microtransactions to these fucking monstrosities.

James is weak willed and can’t think realistically or logically about anything, his projects will always go as far as the assets he got from Applecunt from the Greed Monger project let him, and the mother fucker actually believes that someone who can’t even complete a clone of one of the most basic games ever, can actually complete one of the most expensive and hard to develop genres ever… the dude is completely bonkers.

James, you can blame it all on the “haters” or the “stalkers” all you want, but by the way you are going, the only game you’ll ever complete, if even that, is the worst forum based game of “game developer” RP ever fucking seen.

Angthoron

Arcane
Did you ever think that perhaps you were never really revived and are actually on the 'other side' right now or experiencing that last flash of your brains life and your mind is filling in the blanks and providing a suitable ending?

Once this game releases everything is going to fade to black...
I could also be in limbo I guess

GM_JamesPro

Savant
I have not giving up on Rise of Heroes yet and don't plan on it. I wasn't ready to release any sort of update last week and more then likely it will be a few weeks until I am ready. I was planning on having the first few releases be with self hosted servers but I really want to wait until I am able to host the server my self before I release a playable client.

I now have a Discord - https://discord.gg/ftkhmvp

I won't be posting here much I'd rather just focus on the game instead of responding to different people. But I will post when I have updates.

Also the latest screenshots:

41529129_10156576322103744_8261273468192948224_n.jpg

42202810_10156600840803744_3309214109056106496_n.jpg

42292310_10156601400538744_877467329015840768_n.jpg

42369905_10156606828148744_4510096100413145088_n.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
I have not giving up on Rise of Heroes yet and don't plan on it.

You said pretty much the same about the dozens of games you have announced before it, just go focus on the game and stop advertising your assets, fuck off.

rakknock

Novice
http://greedmonger.net/2018/10/08/the-future-of-greed-monger/

https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/09/...n-a-prototype-for-the-failed-kickstarter-mmo/

For a bit of more universal context below is a dead link to when Greed Monger was killed

http://www.greedmonger.net/updates/2016/03/23/the-final-end-of-the-road-for-greed-monger/

The next link is the Kickstarter that appears to somewhat be making "progress" towards refunds....but if Greed Monger is back in Development....who owns Greed Mongers???? Who is actually the one doing the Refunds....Is this a elaborate ruse/publicity stunt. I honestly hope for a Indie film based off this whole thread and the Story of Greed Monger happens with like super dramatic cut away scenes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg/posts/2283524

Welp I was really looking forward to seeing what Rise of Heroes would grow into.

Myobi It's been just over 2 weeks since the last post about Rise of Heroes, maybe I am assuming too much but I believe my hopes are dashed and the project abandoned

GM_JamesPro You should do a Interview with MassivelyOP next week, they are very well connected and could probably get you onto Kotaku as the "Game Developer who could" feel good story of 2018... They broke that story about Daybreak games and leading to them getting all scared for the upcoming Audit of Russian assets.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Evidently Greed Monger is back. Last months announced game is apparently over and the return of greed monger is the latest announcement.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/09/...n-a-prototype-for-the-failed-kickstarter-mmo/

http://greedmonger.net/2018/10/08/the-future-of-greed-monger/

Seriously I am rendered speechless and I'm a wordy motherfucker most of the time. Might as well just post the links since this a thing.

edit- Rakk, you beat me to it- I somehow missed your post.

I have no idea who owns what but Appleton evidently stepped up and was at least refunding some people- regardless of his reasons for doing so, that was pretty cool- Now the announcement states that "refunds are going out and its time to revisit the game" along with the liberal use of "we" in the post, it sounds like Appleton is involved in this (since as far as I know hes the sole person giving out refunds even though the game was taken over by Jim and Lumpy who made promises all over the internet to make things right) but I asked Jim and he said that Appleton has nothing to do with it.

I'm done with the entire fucking thing- If Jim wants to continue to suffer self inflicted wounds over decisions that seem totally insane to me- I'm not going to stress about it. This pushes the boundaries of bad taste to a whole new level and I hope that on the 12th this prototype thats been promised is something thats been in the works for more than a few days or this will be another slap in the face to people who backed this and have already been slapped silly with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Undoubtably Appleton was shocked by the amazing development of Rise of Heroes and realized the damn thing is the future.

I’ll bet on: Appleton will contact Proctor, Proctor will rename his pile of assets to “Greed Monger”, they will throw that shit into Steam as an Early Access as yet another “sandbox survival derp derp”, people will call it for the shit it is, Appleton and Proctor dodge all the criticism by accusing people of being trolls and after a couple of months of having 1-3 players online they will just give up on the damn thing and move to some other random shit project.

Srly, those guys just need to fuck off already.

Taojnhy

Novice
but I asked Jim and he said that Appleton has nothing to do with it.

I get that Proctor is your friend, but he is quite likely lying to you here; the last time he tried playing the "I'ma make GM for reals this time with my mysterious backer who totally isn't Appleton", it turned out that the backer was Appleton.

I mean, think about this: Proctor is talking up Appleton cleaning up his mess (albeit slowly) and who else in their right minds with two dimes to rub together would associate with Proctor trying to make GM -again-?

Question for you Proctor: you recently started working on RoH again, only to announce mere days later that you were considering picking GM back up again. Do you actually have any of the code and assets still? If you don't, how are you planning to make this even work, given that your only consistently displayed ability is to string store-bought assets together?

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
but I asked Jim and he said that Appleton has nothing to do with it.

I get that Proctor is your friend, but he is quite likely lying to you here; the last time he tried playing the "I'ma make GM for reals this time with my mysterious backer who totally isn't Appleton", it turned out that the backer was Appleton.

I mean, think about this: Proctor is talking up Appleton cleaning up his mess (albeit slowly) and who else in their right minds with two dimes to rub together would associate with Proctor trying to make GM -again-?

Question for you Proctor: you recently started working on RoH again, only to announce mere days later that you were considering picking GM back up again. Do you actually have any of the code and assets still? If you don't, how are you planning to make this even work, given that your only consistently displayed ability is to string store-bought assets together?
Maybe, but I doubt it-

TBH I think Jim used the refunds as a way to restart development without having any responsibility to pay anything back, send T-shirts or have any sort of debt-

Him and Joel were happy to take the assets, the IP , the completed work and the publicity that initially came with 'taking over development' but they only gave lip service to the responsibility, never thought things through realistically and operated the "business" the way a few elementary school friends operate a lemonade stand... When they realized that the things they said and the promises they had made were going to be followed up on and they had no means of financing and no experience running a business- Joel jumped ship and disappeared and Jim started a slew of new games.

Now the debt has (at least partially) been cleared and even though Jim avoided the responsibility he had taken he thinks its totally not sketchy to jump in after someone else has essentially paid his debt... I think the whole "we" thats sprinkled throughout that post is supposed to give the impression there is a legit team behind GM and not only Jim. Applon is too smart to ever get involved in this shit again and if he did it would be with a different developer.

Anyhow- I really dont know. When I asked why the fuck he would even do this after just announcing another game he said
"I dont own the name for that other game and I own GM and GM comes with a community already there"

So he owns it when there isnt any debt to be paid or responsibility- And evidently there is a community behind this 'game'.

Anyhow, the entire thing is puzzling and disappointing. I'm not going to defend this shit though or just shrug it off as "he just doesnt get it"- This is fucked up.

edit- I'll also add that i'm fairly certain Jim always intended to finish GM and send the T-shirts, etc... I dont mean to come across in a way that infers he had shady intentions. He didnt and he doesnt.

Thats also part of the problem.

When I was a teenager I used to have it my head that I could grab a Mcjob, move out of my parents house, have a nice pad, decent ride and revolving door of willing bitches. I had it all figured out- Jim is stuck in that teenage mindset when it comers to major shit like games and he does not learn from past mistakes and keeps doing it publicly. I believe hes sincere about everything he says and thinks-

There comes a point where a major fucking reality check is needed. Sadly there have been a fuckton of events that would have been a major reality check for everyone and yet here we are - "this time will be different , you'll see"

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Wait, hang on, I though it was Appleton who was behind this…

Why the fuck is Proctor bringing up the refunds as if he had anything to do with it?

What filthy attention whore… fucking shameless…

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Wait, hang on, I though it was Appleton who was behind this…

Why the fuck is Proctor bringing up the refunds as if he had anything to do with it?

What filthy attention whore… fucking shameless…
Thats pretty much my feelings- That post is worded in such a way to elicit the idea that "hey guys, we're paying you back- now back to work on the game!" when the 'we' is just Jim and he hasnt so much as sent a single T-shirt regardless of the slew of promises he made all over the web.... "If I can only send 1 T-shirt/month i'll do it to make it right to the backers!!!"

I never faulted him personally for not following through because his mouth wrote way more checks than his bank account could cash and even though everyone and their mother could look at the circumstances and see that the second Jim and Joel took the "rights" to GM it would be dead in the water and all that money lost- He didnt see it.

He has to see that it looks like hes taking credit for the repayment- The first thing I asked him when I read that post is "you're back working with jason?" because thats the impression it gives (or to someone not following this mess it gives the impression he is fulfilling his responsibility). Theres no fucking way that the wording and the timing of this is just coincidence.

This is shady x 1000- The entire thing.

I hope he gets the credit, attention and publicity he is obviously after.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom