Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spooky and abandoned labs and outposts

crazy_dave

Educated
Ok guys, need suggestions for good games where you go into ominusly deserted facilities and explore them reading datapads or notes of what was happening... Like abandoned lab in stalker, or system shock, metro 2033 or doom 3. Any good suggestions?? Some mods maybe???

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You've already mentioned STALKER, which reduces the possibilities significantly...

Pandora Directive had an awesome sequence in Area 51, but that's an adventure game.

Other... erm... does 3rd person count? If so, The Glow in Fallout.

Topher

Cipher
Jaesun said:
The Penumbra series, though they are adventure (point and clickish) 3D games.

I need to play these but I'm a big wuss. I got the first game from the indie games bundle but I haven't got past the beginning.

crazy_dave

Educated
guys thx for suggestions. The games don't have to neccesarily be FPS any genre is good as long as the game isn't shit. Also it doesn't have to be very scary to be good. Just good atmosphere and interesting location... I have unfortunatley already played Fallout, and yes indeed, the Glow is awesome... :)

Squirly

Educated
Goddammit. I changed my ava yesterday because some douche had started using my worm during my hiatus and now here you are.

Fuck.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Bioshock had tape recordings.
VtB had recordings in that house as well. (I ment the second house, the first had few newspapers and diary.)

crazy_dave

Educated
Squirly said:
Goddammit. I changed my ava yesterday because some douche had started using my worm during my hiatus and now here you are.

Fuck.

Sorry dude, I had this avatar since I registered. But I might change it soon, since it's becoming boring to me.

Tried to play Fallout 3 a few time but just coudn't it was too retarded and boring... Bioshock, tried it, given up on it... Vampire Bloodlines was good, but unfortunatley I already played it...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
crazy_dave said:
The games don't have to neccesarily be FPS any genre is good as long as the game isn't shit. Also it doesn't have to be very scary to be good. Just good atmosphere and interesting location
In this case run to your nearest GOG/TPB (hey, whatever floats your boat) and download Pandora Directive. The labs are only about halfway through, but the rest of the game is excellent anyway and the labs are AWESOME.

One hint: save at the beginning of the labs (you'll know when) and DO NOT TOUCH THAT SAVE until you finish the labs.

Also, this game is full of C&C. Emphasis on the &C.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can recommend Cryostasis. It's an atmospheric corridor shooter with some pretty interesting design here and there (for example, there is no 'health' stat per se, but there's body temperature, some enemies are also pretty fucking wack - for instance, there are those bulky dudes in trench coats, helmets made of huge padlocks, akimbo ppshes with double magazines attached to themselves via duct tape, while the ppshes themselves are strapped to the guy's arms because his hands hold flashlights, and both are bolted to his helmet). Takes place on a derelict Soviet atomic icebreaker in the Arctic. It's something like Condemned meets a non-annoying version of Bioshock.

Don't expect scares, though. The stuff might be atmospheric, but I haven't been startled even once, even by the cheap scares of monsters suddenly popping up in front of you. That's mostly due to the fact that you can whack them to death with a chain you find almost at the very start.

Master

Arbiter
^Betrayer is a good one. No labs but there are outposts.
Portal
Cold Fear

Edit
Thief 2 - Blood Trail mission. Almost abandoned Mechanist outpost in the wilds.

Last edited:
Ok guys, need suggestions for good games where you go into ominusly deserted facilities and explore them reading datapads or notes of what was happening... Like abandoned lab in stalker, or system shock, metro 2033 or doom 3. Any good suggestions?? Some mods maybe???

I also recommend everything by Frictional Games, they're one of my favorite developers because of the detail, atmosphere, and unique physics they put into all of their games.

A couple others worth looking but that are ancient at this point with their low-poly graphics are The Suffering and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (I can't remember if this one includes deserted facilities though).

Ebonsword

Arcane

I'm surprised that nobody ever mentioned Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero. Both have great sections in abandoned labs (and are great games in general).

d65935596505b7dec5cb48be5c65688e.jpg

Epsilon

Cipher
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Plenty of labs and bunkers. Most of the time, you won't find any of the original personel alive. But due to the games design theres plenty of reasons to be scared, and theres plenty of monsters there to scare you.
It's the best game ever!
But it's strictly 2d, so you need to have an imagination.

Zenith

Arbiter
Good necro.
Gorky 17 has a bunch of grimy labs and bunkers, not to mention a whole abandoned city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom