Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Post-apocalypse under the dome: Encased now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dark Crystal Games; Encased

In case you missed it, Encased is an upcoming post-apocalyptic isometric RPG from St. Petersburg-based Dark Crystal Games that has attracted some positive attention. In the months since its re-announcement, the game's developers have been doing some good old fashioned community building - posting concept art and area renders on Twitter, soliciting input on our forums, and even setting up a site where fans can design an in-game character and win a free DLC. You can read about those efforts in this development update from July. Community alone doesn't pay the bills however, so like many similar indie titles before it, Encased has arrived on Kickstarter. The game is apparently getting made no matter what, but Dark Crystal are seeking $100k in funding to make it even better. The pitch does a good job of showing how it is actually pretty post-apocalyptic, despite my earlier skepticism.

The game is set in an alternate 1970's and revolves around the exploration of the Dome, a mysterious structure discovered in a remote desert. No one knows the exact nature of those who built the Dome, but the founders of this advanced civilization have come to be called the Forefathers.

You will discover miraculous technologies and weird artifacts in the labyrinths of the Dome, but that is not all the Forefathers left behind. Watch out for automated security systems, traps, and inexplicable anomalies.

In addition, the Dome itself is showing signs of consciousness. It has been reacting to the human presence since the first explorers entered its domain. Once inside, no one is able to leave. Uncovering the wonders and dangers of the Dome is a one-way road.

Exploration and exploitation of the Dome is carried out by the CRONUS Foundation, a massive organization founded by the world’s most powerful governments. CRONUS is divided into five departments, called Wings, each with its own director, specialization and history.

As a new recruit, the player must choose one of five Wings:
  • Black Wing - military and security forces;
  • White Wing - scientists, medics and researchers;
  • Blue Wing - engineers and technicians;
  • Silver Wing - upper management;
  • Orange Wing - ex-convicts who have exchanged their prison jumpsuits for the uniform of a CRONUS laborer.
Though your selected Wing grants certain starting bonuses and opens interesting options, your choice does not lock you into a “class”. You are free to develop your character, distribute skill points, and choose abilities as you wish.

Upon completing character creation, you are summoned to Crystal Sands, a city built directly outside the Dome as a staging point for personnel and equipment.

The transition station mounted at the apex of the Dome, above the only aperture, is called the Spire. After basic training, you will descend from the Spire into the Dome to land at Magellan HQ.

There is much to uncover during your first mission underground…. Relying on your stats and Wing training, you will find there are several ways to resolve each challenge. Replayability is one of our main goals for the game. After your briefing at HQ comes your first task: exploring a newly discovered Forefathers compound tagged Object O-12-Nashville.

After a few adventures inside the Nashville object (which we don’t want to spoil just yet), your group encounters an entirely new anomaly. You awaken something dreaming deep beneath the desert of the Dome. Your trespass has activated Maelstrom, a telepathic entity created to serve the Forefathers.

All connection with the world outside the Dome is lost and Maelstrom rages across the desert, infecting the minds of everyone it encounters. You and your group fall into a technology-induced stasis for five long years. And when you come to, the entire world has changed.

Seems promising enough, doesn't it? They've even got Iron Tower Studio associate Scott Hamm on board to help with the writing. Encased is scheduled for release on Steam Early Access in Q1 2019, with a final release later that year. A €18 pledge will get you a copy, including the Early Access. You can also get the "closed beta" and "closed alpha" for €120 and €215 respectively, although I'm not sure if that's worth it when everybody is getting Early Access anyway. Be sure to follow the game's Steam page if you like what you see.

buffalo bill

Arcane
The game is set in an alternate 1970's and revolves around the exploration of the Dome, a mysterious structure discovered in a remote desert. No one knows the exact nature of those who built the Dome, but the founders of this advanced civilization have come to be called the Forefathers.

You will discover miraculous technologies and weird artifacts in the labyrinths of the Dome, but that is not all the Forefathers left behind. Watch out for automated security systems, traps, and inexplicable anomalies.
Yet another Soviet take on Roadside Picnic.

I've been burned a few times so I don't do pre-orders or crowdfunding anymore, but I hope this game does well. I'm looking forward to buying it when it comes out.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hope they give an oppurtunity via Paypal, because this looks goooood. But where do I get the time to play all of this :D?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks interesting- but the combat though. Is it Fallout combat where you just stand still and blast each other?

Terra

Cipher
Sounds good, initial setup sorta reminds me a bit of Gothic with the barrier and whatnot. Would definitely prefer to have control over your allies in combat though.

CadmusLabs

Arcane
Developer
Ouch those graphics and sounds... I rather it had Fallout 1 graphics than this.. this KS makes WL2 before DC look good.
I think... though I might be mistaken, several years passed but even now the game does not look worse than W2 alpha? But we are still working on it obviously.

giphy.gif

CadmusLabs

Arcane
Developer
The only mention on the Kickstarter is a cover system. Will it be like the modern Xcom game then? But with AP?

It's a mix of several things. Fallout 1-2, Jagged Alliance 2... the most, I'd say. Covers like trees and concrete blocks you can hide behind affect chance to hit and which parts of the body could be hit. Some covers can be penetrated, so the target is hit, but the damage is lessened. You can toggle sit stance manually, so you hero is not leaning towards the cover automatically and there is no simple half/full cover system, the game calculates each part of the body separately. The foundation of the system is the abilities system. By spending points in Skills you don't only increase hit chance, or the chance to lockpick, or steal, you reach certain thresholds, where you unlock active/passive abilities you can choose from. Barrage, snipe shot, more effective dual wielding to name some.

imweasel

So early access is coming mere months after the Kickstarter finishes.

:mca:

Good job, comrades.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
That Kickstarter 'English' reminds me of tech support outsourced to India. :D Nevertheless, isometric turnbased Stalker sounds interesting enough, I'll probably get it when it arrives.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ouch those graphics and sounds... I rather it had Fallout 1 graphics than this.. this KS makes WL2 before DC look good.
I think... though I might be mistaken, several years passed but even now the game does not look worse than W2 alpha? But we are still working on it obviously.

giphy.gif

Don't mind the retards, the game looks amazing.

ArchAngel

Arcane

giphy.gif
It does look better here when it is zoomed out but in the trailer when zoomed in, it looked terrible.

CadmusLabs

Arcane
Developer
He is right when he says that the gif you linked here is of much better quality than the clips shown in the video.
I think you are correct. The quality is floating. Some places have not got the best lighting and level of detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom