Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Combat! ITZ an aRPeeGee nao! :D

This looks great Pyke, but I sure hope you tone down those flashy effects and give the option to remove the blood splatter thing altogether from the screen.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Combat! ITZ an aRPeeGee nao! :D

This looks great Pyke, but I sure hope you tone down those flashy effects and give the option to remove the blood splatter thing altogether from the screen.

We are adding in as many options as possible to alter the graphics. Glows, particles, even the colour and intensity of the 'xray' where you run behind objects. Ill check with Nic if we can add 'blood borders' to that list. :D

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Im watching those things VERY closely to see how well they work out! Its a very cool idea - but Im always wary about permanent discounts with Kickstarter games on release. Like I would hate for our backers to feel screwed over if the release price is super discounted from their backing amount.

Also, your games are actually good, is it worth diminishing pedigree with ((huge)pre release) discounts normally reserved for shit games?

Pricing games is a difficult thing to get right - but yeah, I would be concerned about coming out of the gate at a low price. The sales spike you get in the first few days/weeks compared to the rest of the life cycle of a game is large enough that a prolonged opening discount could severely hurt your game in the future.
I think what has happened is that because STEAM no longer organically gets you the numbers it used to, developers are trying to find ways to work within the STEAM ecosystem to drive traffic to their games.

We are hopefully going to be able to get around a lot of those launch day issues because of the Kickstarter. We should have a few thousand people at launch talking about the game on various places outside of the digital marketplaces.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
So there will be no character stats? The combat will be resolved through items and strategy only?

No character stats. You gotta learn how to use the units you have access to in the different scenarios. You can combine different race 'abilities' to combat certain combinations - so if you are fighting against robots, don't use units that have poison arrows.

Currently you can actually play the combat 'free' of the game from the menu, similar to how Star Control 2 had Hypermelee as a separate minigame.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So there will be no character stats? The combat will be resolved through items and strategy only?

No character stats. You gotta learn how to use the units you have access to in the different scenarios. You can combine different race 'abilities' to combat certain combinations - so if you are fighting against robots, don't use units that have poison arrows.
So it will be a more complex rock-paper-scissors minigame if I get it right.

And after you get some experience designing strategy gameplay, your next game will be a full blown strategy game. Please make it a reality!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

So it will be a more complex rock-paper-scissors minigame if I get it right.

And after you get some experience designing strategy gameplay, your next game will be a full blown strategy game. Please make it a reality!

I thought of it as small games of chess - but yeah, rock-paper-scissors would also be a good fit. The combat encounters themselves are nice and quick to resolve, but getting that 'perfect' combination is a damned fun experience!

I would love to make a game that has a more complex combat/strategy aspect to it - but we are going with baby steps right now!

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam doesn't give us access to the list of people who Wish list - just the numbers. Its a good thing cos I think that developers would spam Wishlist's with coupons and announcements - but it would be awesome to have a way to directly support people who added you to their Wishlist's early. If that does change between now and release we will let you know.

Do you also have the intel on the number of people who put the game on "ignore"?

Modron

Arcane
Yeah ignore is not something I have used much besides freeing up more space on the marquee feature and recommended games by ignoring some popular shit that I have no interest in that is always up there like Call of Duty games, PUBG, et cetera.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
k2xay37.jpg

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I like the minimalist GUI. Can't wait to enjoy this one!

Thanks Ivan. We have put a LOT of effort into trying to balance form and function in the UI. Trying to create a balance between current UI design trends (AAA floaty holographic style UI) and old school skeuomorphic design has been a challenge!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2338521

NOVEMBER 2018 PRODUCTION UPDATE

We're still working at break-neck speed on DESOLATION!

The scene graphics are ahead of schedule, and the GUI graphics have been completed to a large extent.

I'm just about done with the over-world map screens. We'll definitely illustrate the detail we're putting into these areas in a future backer update. While I've knuckled down to get these done, Nic has been implementing some of the more arbitrary (but necessary) development, like the credits screen and diary/codex system.

Don't forget to WISHLIST BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION on STEAM! https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

A previous update introduced players to the Fley: LINK (CLICK HERE) ,

and now we're pleased to reveal our next denizen:

THE NEST
The NEST are a nano-robotic life form that live in an isolated part of this desolate world. The orbital research station on which they were created, has crashed in the African veld. This warm, dry environment is not the ideal for the replication of the synthetic NEST.

d47db2df6b641db70743903e584bb061_original.gif

Their advanced technology has allowed them to terraform the grasslands into a cold, sterile tundra that is rapidly expanding.

bd9953365a6e120199122a981c14191a_original.jpg

NEST Atmospheric Processor and ice cube maker
367d7c2ca5ba6e12c8c7cfcaff5ec671_original.jpg

Mark takes some time to do a sketch.

The NEST are now in direct conflict with their neighbors - and Mark will need to find a subtle or extreme solution to this problem.

995f3be8531108d50cb32f49e2e3252f_original.gif

01777207aa485282f6bf5bb730e42c4c_original.png

968207071f9623383564aaa3fef6db18_original.jpg

b3aa461e62779db7382b59ff3e7aab15_original.png

50037cce12a02e9935e0af7e74c0067d_original.jpg

095355f60fcdf1c1f33c4a33d3b6d597_original.png

0fbbe3d7fe954985ff74d30275d1dece_original.jpg

Take care,

CHRIS

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this looks as good if not better than deadfire visually we dont know how dynamic it is compared to PoE, but considering the budget is probably like 1/100 dedfire it is damn impressive
STASIS and CAYNE got great visuals too, but was renderred in much lower resolution than this (4K IIRC)

crazy good Pyke

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
this looks as good if not better than deadfire visually we dont know how dynamic it is compared to PoE, but considering the budget is probably like 1/100 dedfire it is damn impressive
STASIS and CAYNE got great visuals too, but was renderred in much lower resolution than this (4K IIRC)

crazy good Pyke

POE has things like day/night, dynamic weather, and even AI on the NPC's that allow them to react to those changing conditions. We dont have any of that - with our worlds being closer to a classic Adventure Games more static screens. We do have NPC's that walk around and do things - but its all scripted behavior.
We are doing some very cool things where your choices will alter the places you go to in a very profound way - something Im looking forward to seeing how people react when it happens!

But yeah - our budget is around double the Kickstarter funding - so we had to really edit ourselves down to make sure we get the game done on time and in budget. We do have big plans for this framework - things that we can add in for the next game to make it more reactive and dynamic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom