Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

eXalted

Arcane
When A Dance with Rogues 3 tho?

:prosper:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Is there any mod that fixes graphical issues with Half Orcs in nwn2? I'm talking about the hands going weird occasionally, fingers all over place when holding stuff, and HO Monks never punching just kicking. It's irritating me.
Oh nice work on best mods Lilura, used a few of your suggestions and it really improved me enjoyment, cheers.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This guy has made 62 hours of content to date???

Rough estimate of Ch.1-3 is 92 hours total. Ch.4 (in playtest phase) will make that 122 total.

Subject to revision, Swordflight is projected to span six chapters.

I haven't gooten to part 3 yet. Do you keep the level? I expect shit to get too epic level by then since you ate already very high level at the end of part 2.

Inf0mercial

Augur
I haven't gooten to part 3 yet. Do you keep the level? I expect shit to get too epic level by then since you ate already very high level at the end of part 2.

You do, it gets to that fun epic area where you fight a viper that could solo everything in chapter one. You basically hit level 20 an hour or two in.

Well if your not a mage.

Here is my issue Summons and Familiars drop the Xp you get right? But more of them seem to trigger something in the game where it spawns more enemies i assume something to do with what level you are or the challenge rating.

But the enemies it spawns are fucking brutal for a Wizard where you already fragile resources are even more stretched, finished chapter one a full level and a half below what the non summon classes finish at.

Got a Pure wizard to level 11 by going full blaster so far up to the outside world in chapter two to get my fucking xp but Goddamn, i skipped the Orc Calimport bit going to come back to that once i grind levels at the village and fort, that thing murders casters with the long crawl before any resting point and yes i know i could use a revit stone but honestly fuck that i am saving those for the longer crawls.

Oh one thing i grabbed that basically made this run Viable as a pure mage is Improved Expertise 10AC boost is actually amazing lets you tank some shit.

Oh and i went Necromancer, sacrificing Premonition but i needed the spell slots.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Level + gear carries over between Chapters. I didn't find Ch. 3 or what I have played of Ch. 4 to be too easy. I was still shocked here and there by the difficulty (massive mobs with special powers). But then, I am not the best NWN tactician/builder.

Inf0mercial

Augur
I got around to reading that interview and after taking a fighter/pale master, Fighter/Bard/Red Dragon Disciple and a Bard/Fighter to chapter three i have to say his comment on multiclasses being best made me reflect that you really need some Magic options for chapter three especially.

My Bard is 16 Bard/5 fighter so far and i have to say with Curse song and a greatsword is doing pretty great, compared to my Dragon disciple on paper with a scythe and plus 18 damage from 32 STR it should be doing really well in combat right? But it lacks AC or Defence options.

HP vanishes too fast to sneak attacks or hits from monsters to stick to pure AC and you will fail a save somewhere and get fucked, with the bard level you buy scrolls and use them of course but it really shows if you don't have some way to avoid damage like Improved invis or a stoneskin or Tumble to artificially Boost your AC you get really fucked up.

Also the bard build is hilarious with max cursed song you can debuff everyone yourself makes some encounters a breeze i stuck to buffing myself in chapter two then near the end splashed into Cursed song and there is something gratifying about using Druid boots that give that nice con boost in addition to dodge or hoarding all those rods of various effects to use.

If your going to start a character stop and think to yourself "can i use Improved invisibility or stone skin?" and if the answer is no consider splashing into something that gives you the ability, even the early visage spell is a good alternative that 5 damage reduction stacks up in later fights and 10% conceal kicks in more then you would expect (it also makes you immune to level one spells and you get a surprising amount of use out of it), there are too many creatures that tap your ability scores and cripple you once they hit, also buy a lot of restore scrolls on that note.

So my final thoughts would be, great Modules but the fact that is it such a long lasting one means you need to think about epic level viability when making a character if you intend to play through, oh also fuck Fire beetles/Elemental's , i admit one of the central reasons i even made the red dragon disciple was the fun of standing in front of 10 greater fire elemental's and basking in the warm glow of those orange 0's.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I got around to reading that interview and after taking a fighter/pale master, Fighter/Bard/Red Dragon Disciple and a Bard/Fighter to chapter three i have to say his comment on multiclasses being best made me reflect that you really need some Magic options for chapter three especially...

It definitely helps to have magic options, but one of the characters I used for playtesting was a pure fighter who has so far been able to get by. I do not recommend playing a pure fighter for purposes other than testing, since it is both a relatively weak class at medium levels or higher, and due to the lack of skills, spells, special powers, etc. also one of the more boring choices, but it is playable. Sometimes painful, but that is true for just about anything. Also note that Zarala can cast Improved Invisibility spells on both you and herself. She is actually quite useful for buffing, though not much else.

Inf0mercial

Augur
I got around to reading that interview and after taking a fighter/pale master, Fighter/Bard/Red Dragon Disciple and a Bard/Fighter to chapter three i have to say his comment on multiclasses being best made me reflect that you really need some Magic options for chapter three especially...

It definitely helps to have magic options, but one of the characters I used for playtesting was a pure fighter who has so far been able to get by. I do not recommend playing a pure fighter for purposes other than testing, since it is both a relatively weak class at medium levels or higher, and due to the lack of skills, spells, special powers, etc. also one of the more boring choices, but it is playable. Sometimes painful, but that is true for just about anything. Also note that Zarala can cast Improved Invisibility spells on both you and herself. She is actually quite useful for buffing, though not much else.

Yes she is useful up until she starts spamming Iron horn and you roll a nat 1, its either that or Gust of wind something with knockdown in it, chapter three at once made her very useful with Bard song and the lightning lute as well as a surprisingly good tank and also intensely aggravating when she summons her stupid fucking bear and i can feel the XP drain kick in, and i haven't proven it also triggers more enemies but i deeply suspect it does.

The worst thing is i have no idea what the trigger is, in the city she never did its literally only in the wilderness she started to summon it.

If your taking suggestion on future iterations please give us an option to tell Zarla not to summon shit.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
She learns new spells when leveling up, eventually getting Summon Creature V (naturally you cannot count on her to choose something sensible). You can already tell her not to spontaneously cast spells at all, and just have her cast buffs on command, which probably makes sense if you are using her as a tank. She will still cast healing spells (including wasting time with useless Cure Minor Wounds and such) and dispels, even if told not to, but it cuts down on the summons. It is annoying, like much Zarala does, though in my play-testing experience, the summons usually die too quickly to have much effect on XP.

hell bovine

Arcane
She learns new spells when leveling up, eventually getting Summon Creature V (naturally you cannot count on her to choose something sensible). You can already tell her not to spontaneously cast spells at all, and just have her cast buffs on command, which probably makes sense if you are using her as a tank.
You can tell her that, just like you can order her to fight ranged and keep her distance, but what the ai will actually do in combat is another story. It would be great if there was some sort of item that would stop her from casting entirely, or at least cause 100% spell failure.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
You can tell her that, just like you can order her to fight ranged and keep her distance, but what the ai will actually do in combat is another story. It would be great if there was some sort of item that would stop her from casting entirely, or at least cause 100% spell failure.

Are you saying that she casts spells other than the two exceptions I already mentioned (heals & dispels) after being instructed not to in conversation? That has never happened to me, so if so I would suspect it is the result of you using some AI customization of your own such as Tony K's or the Community Patch (neither of which interacts altogether well with Swordflight's customizations). As far as the indicated exceptions go, it would indeed be good if the AI did not make them, but I would have to basically re-write the AI from scratch to fix all the glitches and issues with it, which I fear is not too practical.

hell bovine

Arcane

Are you saying that she casts spells other than the two exceptions I already mentioned (heals & dispels) after being instructed not to in conversation? That has never happened to me, so if so I would suspect it is the result of you using some AI customization of your own such as Tony K's or the Community Patch (neither of which interacts altogether well with Swordflight's customizations). As far as the indicated exceptions go, it would indeed be good if the AI did not make them, but I would have to basically re-write the AI from scratch to fix all the glitches and issues with it, which I fear is not too practical.
I honestly don't remember anymore what mods I've had installed at that time. But some of the bugs I've observed are original game AI (e.g. henchmen refusing to fight).

rogueknight333

Arbiter
rogueknight333
Did you specifically leave out the possibility of
a 2nd pickpocket in the Tome quest? My autism cries out for justice.

It was indeed not my intention to allow one to pickpocket the Tome and obtain it again after turning it in to complete the quest, if that is what you mean. It was a complicated enough quest already without adding in the possibility for something like that.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Does someone know how NWN handles x1.5 STR bonus for wielding weapons two handed? Usually, if you wield a scimitar or longsword without a shield you should get the x1.5 STR modifier, but I don't think it's case in NWN, wielding a scimitar without a shield yields the same damage as wielding it with a shield equiped.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I think you need to use an actual two-handed weapon in NWN1 to get the 1,5 Strenght bonus.
One of the many improvements in NWN2, which recognizes that you don't use an offhand/shield and awards the larger Strenght bonus.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've added quite a few more mods and pro-tips to my prime NWN/NWN2 write-ups.

Also, I've added dozens of mods to Core since its initial posting date. Thus, this should be the most thorough alphabetical listing available (and it's conveniently in a single post with updated links).

Inf0mercial

Augur
There is something hilarious about playing a Shifter "what's that Red Dragon Diciple it takes 10 levels for fire immunity? I get it at lvl 1 in addition to every other element."

Not to mention i can imagine NPC find it a bit disconcerting to be speaking to a Manticore as i refuse to change back.

This is a really non optimised build if i am honest i wasted cleave feat i got for free with the monk splash as i waited till level 11 to get it but it works, you can get some decent AC with Barksin and Wisdom boost on your forms, 32Ac Manticore at level 11 for example, then Flurry of blows for those Four attacks.

The thing that made this entire thing worth it if nothing else was standing in front of the three gorgons as a basilisk and waiting for them to run out of petrified breath then calling companions in to murder them, because all your items vanish and the bonuses only apply you can go around full plate for an actual decent melee fighter normally then shift out and have monk AC kick in.

Minotaur is the most useless shift every it lose so much AC its actually atrocious and you get fuck all in exchange, harpy is not worth it either when the Gargoyle with its 15DR and high nat Ac is right there.

Black Wyrm makes Gelatinous cubes a non threat click flurry of blows then have a drink or something while you chip then to death.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Shifter/Monk was pretty fun. I really liked Shifter/Dwarven Defender in Risen Lord form also. Mostly invulnerable to enemy attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom