Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles IV

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
First game's plot was serviceable until about the halfway point where it felt like certain scenes happen because the writer wanted them to happen instead of them happening because of a proper reason.
"Gosh we really need a dramatic death here, let's kill this girl"

ColCol

Arcane
Seems like this one is bring the classes down to at least somewhat normal level. No shield and giant hammer assholes.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Damn this looks like really good sequel. It is basically VC1 + completely new story + small changes.
I still can't believe they did it fuckers. After all this time we get actually VC2.

laclongquan

Arcane
beta male oblivious nature-loving cuck becomes officer because he brought his own tank to the war, lol

Brought his own tank to the war is a very valid excuse to promote him to officer class, especially when they can use a figleaf reason like son of a war hero and a general.(realistically, sons of generals have excellent human connection in army so can get fast track to command, especially in wartime)

Bitch please, it's a small country at war, with tank being strategical weapon as it is. promote him to the lowliest rung of officer ladder is a cheap price to pay.

I refer to Letter of Marque in pirate history: you bring a ship with you and swear to serve this country's interest and they confirm you to be official commander of this ship.

Last edited:

L'Montes

Educated
beta male oblivious nature-loving cuck becomes officer because he brought his own tank to the war, lol

Bitch please, it's a small country at war, with tank being strategical weapon as it is. promote him to the lowliest rung of officer ladder is a cheap price to pay.

You'll note that I said that in parentheses as an example (e.g. = exempli gratia for "Opinions on Welkin") not my opinion. That said, I think he would've served even without the rank-up (the gist of his first wager suggests he'd be fine with relinquishing command if he failed).

deuxhero

Arcane
Welkin was explicitly college educated. There's a few countries in the real world where college education can make you a drafted officer instead of drafted cannon fodder. I recall, may be wrong, that Russia was one of them (officer courses are technically optional in college, but the time spent is so low it beats the chance of being college educated cannon fodder) and Galia's milita training is explicitly done in schools. This would track with the only other character that was explicitly in university at some point being Faldio, who is also an officer.

Edit: Juno's biography mentions she was in university, but there's enough options to excuse that (she didn't do officer training yet, different expectation for women ect.). Reporter chick was also, but she's not fighting.

Last edited:

L'Montes

Educated
That's true, and it's part of the class distinction you often find between officers and enlisted even today, which I suspect was more true during WW2 (and fake WW2, as the case may be).

His officership (or people taking issue with it) comes up when people complain about his character though. Like... offhand, I know the RPGamer staff review took issue with it back in the day (his promotion over the more experienced existing staff), and it wasn't an infrequent complaint on forums around launch.

Personally, I found things like the mascot-pig more annoying in the context of the narrative, but that may be my own distaste with that kind of thing. Like... Chuchu in Xenogears and what-not.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Tempting to get on the PS4 but as the previous game ran perfectly on pc, and it's cheaper there as well, I'll just buy the steam key.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Formulaic is probably best thing that happned to VC4 considering VC2-VC3 garbage designs.
Indeed. There's nothing else quite like VC1 out there, so nothing wrong with making a sequel that plays nearly the same.

Perkel

Arcane
Especially after nearly 10 years. Let us see first if they can even replicate good game as VC1 then with VC5 they could innovate.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I just hope it won't have those garbage boss fights again. Whittling away that giant tank was the most frustrating thing ever.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I'll probably get this on sale later on, or if I feel really bored after finishing Pathfinder.

Puukko

Arcane
I really can't justify dropping 60€ on a digital version with Denuvo, even if I really liked VC1, so eagerly waiting for a crack.

Deleted member 7219

Bought it during the Black Holiday sale.

So far it is exactly like VC1 in every way, but with a different story and different characters.

I am completely fine with that.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gee thanks, now I got a "oh yea, I gotta remember to play Persona 5 too" moment, that's going to eat a lot of my time as well. This year's end is perilously piling up my backlog, since I gotta get to VC4 too.

Beavery

Literate
Thankfully the sameness of Truekyria 2 isn't a real problem due to how long we had to wait for it and the slight changes and better polishment feel more impactful cause of abstention. The history is okay, my only problems is the excessive anime. I've been far from anime from such a long time that the male officer protag being physically abused by his female soldier for being a "baka" broke my suspension of disbelief. But some days of this and me mind gonna be kawaii desu again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom