Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizards & Warriors released on GOG

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are correct and I am very dumb. Sorry. :|

The Clan of Three Swords caters to the needs of fighters including Warriors, Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Samurai, and Ninjas.
The League caters to the needs of spellcasters including Wizards, Warlocks, and Bards.
The Guild of the Shadow caters to the needs of all rogue’s including Rogue’s, Barbarians, Bards, and Rangers.
The Brotherhood of Promise caters to the needs of Priests, Paladins, and Warlocks.
The Way of the Dragon caters to the needs of the Samurai, Monks and Ninja.
So from this I take it that:
Warriors can become Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Samurai, and Ninjas.
Wizards can become Warlocks and Bards.
Rogues can become Barbarians, Bards, and Rangers.
Priests can become Paladins and Warlocks.
Only Samurai and Ninja can become Monks?

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You are correct and I am very dumb. Sorry. :|

The Clan of Three Swords caters to the needs of fighters including Warriors, Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Samurai, and Ninjas.
The League caters to the needs of spellcasters including Wizards, Warlocks, and Bards.
The Guild of the Shadow caters to the needs of all rogue’s including Rogue’s, Barbarians, Bards, and Rangers.
The Brotherhood of Promise caters to the needs of Priests, Paladins, and Warlocks.
So from this I take it that:
Warriors can become Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Samurai, and Ninjas.
Wizards can become Warlocks and Bards.
Rogues can become Barbarians, Bards, and Rangers.
Priests can become Paladins and Warlocks.

No, they all can become anything. If you have a warrior, pick paladin, join cleric guild, drop class advancement quest. Or, if you have a cleric, pick paladin, join fighter guild, drop quest, pick Samurai from fighter guild, etc. All characters join all guilds and all can become anything pretty much.

The only outlier in the beginning is the lack of rogue guild in the first town. A work around for that is to pick fighter and advance to Berserker who has rogue skills. Starting class isn't all the important, and you'll want all characters to focus on specific skills.

The biggest thing to look out for is skill changes with new classes and if a new class lets you advance the weapon skill you've been focusing on. It isn't a good idea to spread weapon skills around, or to double dip skills only one character needs (like thief skills and crafting skills). Just make sure you look at the weapon skills of classes you plan on advancing into. Giving everyone sword works well and is good advice for the base game, but that is the genius of Jeff Ludwig's mod, it makes all weapons a good pick and changes some of the skills around and how non-class skill advancement works much better (in my opinion).

If anyone played his Wiz8 mod it really didn't mess with the core game. It made some sensible changes like skills for lord, etc. His mods are done really well and are really thought out with an eye for long term balance and plugging obvious holes and inconsistencies/weird things the core game had.

Edit - traits are important to look at too. For instance, the trait rangers get increase range damage by a lot, so is important to make all characters rangers for that trait you plan on having be ranged combat guys, but wouldn't make sense if you plan on having them use spells while enemies close and then switching to melee. You can never go back to a class, but you can run characters through them just to get specific traits.

Edit 2 - why barbarians are okay to advance into early is because their advancement quest is to kill 20 enemies. Its not a good idea to go fighter to barbarian if you don't plan on grinding some levels since the first dungeon require decent lockpick skill and once you're in you're stuck in for a while. I'm just mentioning incase someone creates a fighter they plan on making a barbarian and no has no rogue and shoots straight into the crypt.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
All this talk has got me psyched to replay this... but I think I am going to wait for a proper fix for the mouse issue which seems to be the main problem with modern systems... kind of doggy how GOG seems to be getting a bit lazy getting these games to run properly or outright using Beamdog’s “design ideas” of just adding mods

Ahhh there is nothing as good as a proper honest to goodness blobber from Bradley
:love:

Roqua

Prospernaut
All this talk has got me psyched to replay this... but I think I am going to wait for a proper fix for the mouse issue which seems to be the main problem with modern systems... kind of doggy how GOG seems to be getting a bit lazy getting these games to run properly or outright using Beamdog’s “design ideas” of just adding mods

Ahhh there is nothing as good as a proper honest to goodness blobber from Bradley
:love:

I agree with GoG not doing much of anything to get old games to work for most people. I think the AVI not being fixed is a bigger deal since people will know off the bat if their mouse is lagging like crazy, but new players will have no idea if the AVI issue is making it so they don't have access to all the buildings in the city or not.

Also, it seems the mouse issue is more effecting people with a basic mouse. I am not certain and have no idea how most shit works, but it seems like people with mouse software running in the foreground because they have a mouse with extra buttons that don't work in some games (new ones) if run otherwise. There is a good chance the mouse issue won't effect you, but I think the AVI issue is going to impact everyone on modern systems (again I don't know for certain and have no idea how shit works).

If you do give it a try, if you don't have immediate access to the following buildings in the starting town you need to install the AVI fix from here - http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-townavi

Buildings - Inn, Town Hall, Tavern, Blacksmith (fighter's guild), Church (cleric's guild), Magic Shop (mage's guild). For me, without the AVI fix, I had access to the Inn, Tavern, fighter's guild, and Church only. It also wouldn't let me exit through the east gate when you should be able to exit through either east or west.

Roqua

Prospernaut
MM9 is definitely one I had to fix myself. I know there is at least one other that I own I had to fix myself; I can't think of which but I'm almost positive it isn't run in DOSBox. None as egregious as W&W. How many people have played it and are stuck and have no idea why because they don't have access to all the buildings in towns, or the quests in those buildings, the character advancement options in the guild, etc?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
IIRC Saboteur from GOG have fixed map (not a thing on Origin) but then - have issues with 4+ cores CPUs.
Desperados 1+2 and Robin Hood were unplayable for most folks. They fixed it recently for Desperados games (now most folks runs it with no issues) but I'm not sure if RH got similar treatment...

Some games, especially with Windows10, either work or not for some people for some reason(s) but you know that drill.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Betrayal in Antara had a problem that was fixed long after, another problem is still unfixed, although there's a workaround

Last edited by a moderator:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Pretty disappointed now with the GOG version.

1) 640x480 is stretched 16:9 by default (or at least on my PC it was). Switching to 800x600 or 1024x768 fixes it, but the scaling is uneven so all the text looks horrible. The only way to fix it was to run dgvoodoo on my own and fix the aspect ratio.
2) The townavi files weren't fixed, meaning you have to apply a fan patch in order to even play the game.
3) They didn't reset the adventure, which means your quest cannot even start. I knew to do this because I had the game back in the day, but no new player would know to do this.

All in all, this suggests they did not even test the game BEYOND THE FIRST TOWN. That is some dump it on Steam and forget about it level quality control.

V_K

Arcane
3) They didn't reset the adventure, which means your quest cannot even start. I knew to do this because I had the game back in the day, but no new player would know to do this.
What do you mean by this?
You can reset the quest and start the game anew while keeping the same party and all the leveling/non-quest loot, kinda like in Diablo. It's an artefact of Bradley wanting to introduce multiplayer to the game.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
What do you mean by this?
At the very beginning of the game, when you create your first character or characters and leave the inn, you should immediately meet the Elder who will give you the quest to go fetch the Mavin Sword, which is literally the main quest of the game. For me this didn't happen and I had to reset the adventure in order to trigger it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
felipepepe
Thanks for the link. I submitted the following:

---

Hello,

I was happy to see this finally released. However, there are still several issues with playing the game as released on GOG.

1) 640x480 is stretched 16:9 by default (or at least on my PC it was). Switching to 800x600 or 1024x768 fixes it, but the scaling is uneven so all the text looks horrible. The only way to fix it was to run dgvoodoo on my own and fix the aspect ratio.

2) The townavi files haven't been fixed, meaning you have to apply a fan patch in order to even play the game. (If the townavi files are not fixed, you cannot click on most of the buildings in towns).

3) The adventure hasn't been "reset," which means the main quest does not start after generating a party or even if selecting the premade party in the Inn. What should actually happen: after creating/selecting characters in the inn and then leaving the inn, a character should immediately appear in the town telling you about the main quest. If this doesn't happen, I'm not even sure that you can finish the game. (This suggests that the game did not come from a fresh install).

Fixes:
Issue 1: The aspect ratio needs to be corrected using dgvoodoo.
Issue 2: The townavi fix needs to be applied (see http://www.jeffludwig.com/wizardswarriors/download.php)
Issue 3: The adventure needs to be reset (this can be done in the options). Even better: the game needs to come from a fresh install with only the above fixes applied.

newtmonkey

Arcane
W&W was just updated:

Internal Hotfix 1
- Reduced mouse cursor lag
- Fixed a problem where you couldn't enter certain buildings

[EDIT]
Tried out with the latest update applied:

- It overwrote my dll files, so 640x480 is back to stretched to 16:9
- townavi issue seems fixed
- mouse lag seems worse, if anything

[EDIT 2]
It's because the default settings are now set to "software mode" after the hotfix lol
Setting it back to Direct3d brings the mouse back to how it was before the hotfix.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If you can get past the mechanical hurdles it's really an underrated crawler. The class mechanic is great and original.

Roqua

Prospernaut

I played this a bunch of times and even just within the last three or so years and forgot/didn't notice. But I don't think it breaks anything, as you can still get the quest for the mavin sword when you take the oath in the crypt, right? I don't think people have to reset their current game for this, or am I wrong?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New hotfix:

Internal Hotfix 2 (19 September 2018)
  • [WIN] reduced mouse cursor lag yet again
  • [WIN] fixed a problem with Gareth encounter not appearing

The game still looks like ass stretched across a widescreen display, but at least everything seems to be working now.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
New hotfix:

Internal Hotfix 2 (19 September 2018)
  • [WIN] reduced mouse cursor lag yet again
  • [WIN] fixed a problem with Gareth encounter not appearing

The game still looks like ass stretched across a widescreen display, but at least everything seems to be working now.
So the problems with the mouse lag and the non responsive town menus are fixed now?

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Hrm, the mouse lag is completely gone but now I'm having a hard time clicking different things. The targets for buttons and dialogue selections and even enemies in combat. The lag I could deal but this is making it unplayable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom