Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

DeepOcean

Arcane
Mmmm, okay, gonna keep supporting InXile, so, we will get true genre pushing features like retarded Larian style co-op multiplayer and XCOM cinematic cameras on Wasteland 3, my God, imagine if InXile didn't exist to deliver such impressive features, RPGs wouldn't be the same.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
> doing puzzles for like 3 hours
> no banter from the companions, nothing
> just killing mobs and the occasional narration from some mouths,
> reached a puzzle with required me to construct a bridge,
> build bridge, solved another puzzle,
> tried to go back but there is no bridge because the world has reset for some reason,
> only option is to die,
> revive before the bridge puzzle,
> done it again, the same thing
> rage quit, uninstall.

This shit was not tested.

Edit: I'm a retard. I did not resolve completely a cog puzzle :/

Sorry.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
> no banter from the companions, nothing

Honestly I wish I'd run into this bug while playing. The banters aren't bad but I'd prefer them to be mute so I could attach my own story and personality to each character like older blobbers.

Got through the first mages tower I hope puzzle design gets better so far it feels by the numbers easy, or maybe I'm just too use to these kinda thins now.

Also, for arguments that we need this game to be successful to popularize the genre again outside of indie studios I would warn that's a double edged sword. Like Divinity: Original Sin 2I had fun with it and could still play it but it's no where near as good as D:OS classic was for me and I'm worried other developers might see Larian's successes and do more of the same. I'd argue you'd be better off trying to get people to buy Bard's Tale 1 remaster.

Still I wont say people shouldn't play BT4 just that if you have too large of a back log or just not enough time there are plenty of other games to try while they optimize and "fix" BT4 with patches.

Ulfhednar

Savant
To celebrate the release of BT4, here is chapter 2 of Fargo the Baptist:

After Sven the Divinity had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee.

When Fargo the Baptist, who was in bankruptcy proceedings, heard about the deeds of the Divinity, he sent his disciples to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

Sven replied, “Go back and report to Fargo the Baptist what you hear and see: The cRPG genre is in Renaissance, the Shadows-run in Hong Kong, those who have leprosy are cleansed of their Torment, the deaf hear the echoes on the Pillars of Eternity, the dead who wander the Wasteland are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the grognards. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

“Truly I tell you, among those grognards born of women there has not risen anyone greater than Fargo the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of incline is greater than he. From the days of Fargo the Baptist until now, the kingdom of incline has been subjected to violence, and violent people have been raiding it. For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until Fargo. And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Gygax who was to come. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

“To what can I compare the Codex? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

“‘We played turn-based combat for you,

and you did not dance;

we sang of RTwP,

and you did not mourn.’

For Fargo the Baptist brought back old-school series, created new lore and experimented with innovative mechanics, and they say, ‘He has a demon of decline.’ The Divinity came with multiplayer, colorful WoW graphics, diablo loot, level scaling and retarded armor mechanics, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of story fags and weeaboos.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

SophosTheWise

Cipher
There is a huge difference between people ignoring games that don't interest them, and people going out of their way to sabotage companies that make games that don't interest them. Have fun playing your Pokeman and Metal Gear games.

explain how shitposting on the codex is sabotaging companies

Shitposting won't, but review-slamming it on Steam will.

Fairfax

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart: I've been waiting for you, Brian. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.
Brian Fargo: Only a master of evil, Feargus.
Feargus Urquhart: Your managerial skills are weak, old man.
C87xx6T.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Did they turn off grid-walking for some reason? For me, the option to switch to it is grayed out and unclickable.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Shitposting won't, but review-slamming it on Steam will.
You are overestimating the codexian trolls ruining games meme, review bombing because of bugs and bad performance is pretty much the rule on steam, InXile should be aware of that. Actually the only way for your game to get mixed review on steam is to get involved on some big controversy like loot boxes or the game being really bad on a technical point of view. It was a big mistake for inXile to release the game on this state.

Yosharian

Arcane
It seems to me that comparisons to Troika are unfair. Troika was forced to ship Bloodlines by their publisher if I remember correctly, whereas InXile are using Kickstarter.. Also, Bloodlines always looked fantastic in my opinion, the NPC faces in Bloodlines still look really good to me, whereas the faces in Bard's Tale IV, and the graphics in general, look really janky to me.

Jezal_k23

It feels like this game has had no marketing whatsoever. Nobody knows about it. The few people who are aware of it are having performance issues and the like, so yeah the situation is very bad. inXile needs to get their shit together fast, every single project so far has seemed mismanaged. They're like an even worse version of Obsidian's early days. At least when Obsidian was putting out broken games you still had stuff like KOTOR 2 and MotB, what does inXile have?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Did they turn off grid-walking for some reason? For me, the option to switch to it is grayed out and unclickable.
They've said it wouldn't be in-game at launch, and will be added/enabled in a later patch. Kind of ridiculous, but at least they were upfront about it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It feels like this game has had no marketing whatsoever. Nobody knows about it. The few people who are aware of it are having performance issues and the like, so yeah the situation is very bad. inXile needs to get their shit together fast, every single project so far has seemed mismanaged. They're like an even worse version of Obsidian's early days. At least when Obsidian was putting out broken games you still had stuff like KOTOR 2 and MotB, what does inXile have?
Let it die.

Electryon

Savant
To be perfectly frank, there IS an inXile game people should buy, that is tied to this one. The Bard's Tale Trilogy remastered is excellent (even though we only have the first game for now), and is costs $20 less. It is not only everything you would hope a modern remaster of a blobber would be, but is also (for those that care about this) "in the spirit of the old games" because they ARE the old games. For $15, it's a no-brainer. And it has a Very Positive score on Steam because it deserves one, just as IV has a mixed score because it was released as a pile of unoptimized horseshit.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I have BT Trilogy on my wishlist, but am waiting until all three games are finished with the legacy options enabled (I want to set the EXP awards back to the original values, which I read is one of the options).

Electryon

Savant
I have BT Trilogy on my wishlist, but am waiting until all three games are finished with the legacy options enabled (I want to set the EXP awards back to the original values, which I read is one of the options).

I bought it, along with Graveyard Keeper (which I like simply from a concept level) with my refund money from IV. No regrets.

Jezal_k23

You know what's kinda funny? The few people who know about it buy the game, and then their god damn 4790k + GTX 1070 (or similar) PCs can't reliably run the game, and then everyone at inXile is absolutely shocked that reviews are negative.

Electryon

Savant
You know what's kinda funny? The few people who know about it buy the game, and then their god damn 4790k + GTX 1070 PC can't reliably run the game, and then everyone at inXile is absolutely shocked that reviews are negative.

This is, in fact, exactly what happened. I bought my Helios 300 laptop (not top of a line, but a GTX 1060 that set me back a $1000) specifically so I could run most new games coming out for the next couple years on high settings at an acceptable frame-rate. Bard's Tale IV was one of those games I had in mind. When my investment was made worthless in regards to their game, I did what I rarely ever do, which is get a refund.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
To be perfectly frank, there IS an inXile game people should buy, that is tied to this one. The Bard's Tale Trilogy remastered is excellent (even though we only have the first game for now), and is costs $20 less. It is not only everything you would hope a modern remaster of a blobber would be, but is also (for those that care about this) "in the spirit of the old games" because they ARE the old games. For $15, it's a no-brainer. And it has a Very Positive score on Steam because it deserves one, just as IV has a mixed score because it was released as a pile of unoptimized horseshit.

Maybe InXile will make more money from the BT Trilogy than BT4 and have some kind of epiphany that gamers do really want old school style gaming systems and the next game they make will not be a steaming pile of turd.

Electryon

Savant

Maybe InXile will make more money from the BT Trilogy than BT4 and have some kind of epiphany that gamers do really want old school style gaming systems and the next game they make will not be a steaming pile of turd.

Wizardry I-V polished up in the same fashion would sell like hotcakes to a certain audience, especially since they aren't even digitally available by any legal means.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Just like that underworld wannabe I keep forgetting the name of, this one looked like time poorly spent, and in all the wrong ways. All that's left is a game nobody asked for but might be an ok mobile game with 3-5 months of patching. I never played the Bards Tales, that was way before my time, so I do want to try this remaster trilogy.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's kind of sad that they keep fucking up promising games like that. TTON could have been much better if they had some good editors cutting down the text and better combat.

As to BT4: Whoever created the beginning of the game and thought that it's fine should be fired. I can probably get into the combat, the subclasses that are unlocked later through skills and the weird item system - but the story and dialogues are completely bland so far. Exploration is okay, but I'll wait for the grid-movement and for them to fix the movement controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom