Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prestigious site Destructoid confers a 6/10 on Witcher 2

Gerrard

Arcane
The one thing you can usually guarantee about any video game that describes itself as 'mature' is that it'll be even less so than the norm. But then being seen as mature is a strange obsession, usually voiced only by youngsters who fail to realise the dismal reality of being an adult involves tracker mortgages and sensible shoes - not non-stop swearing and endless fornication.

The Witcher games are based on a series of Polish fantasy novels of which we admit we are entirely ignorant. Developer CD Projekt are Polish too (one reason why there's no console version, as the PC remains king in Eastern Europe) and their passion for the source material is obvious.

You play as Geralt, one of the titular witchers: human mutants trained to channel supernatural powers and fight monsters. As the game begins Geralt is being held prisoner for the assassination of the king he was supposed to be acting as bodyguard to. Naturally he escapes and quickly becomes embroiled in political intrigue and a near endless series of betrayals.

Although the game does sometimes seem to be trying too hard - often only swapping one set of clichés for another - the attempts to portray non-player characters as real people, all with serious moral flaws no matter their station, is certainly refreshing.

It's hard to understand how Geralt ever got a job as bodyguard though, considering how ineffectual he is in a fight as the game begins. A generous skill tree means you can quickly begin to improve his abilities, but then the balance tips in the opposite direction and by the halfway mark you're all but indestructible. Even though the targeting system and movement controls remains unreliable throughout.

Although we wouldn't go as far as to say it was actively broken the combat is by far the least interesting element of the game, especially given the frustrating mob tactics of most enemies - that makes it all an exercise in frustration even when you are more powerful than everyone else.

Instead it's in town that the game reveals its more notable achievements, as well as what may well be the most unpleasant collection of amoral - and often actively immoral - characters in any one video game. Rapists, racists, thieves and general ne'er-do-wells, the ugliness of a town's population stands in stark contrast to the beauty of its architecture and surrounding landscapes.

This is realism of a sort and it feeds into the constant moral choices that are a world away from the black and white decisions of a game like Dragon Age. Not only does The Witcher not judge you for your decisions but a least worst option is usually the best you can hope for - and if no one gets robbed or killed as a result of it you can pat yourself on the back for your saintly conduct.

What's most impressive is the effect some of the bigger decisions have on the storyline, with the plot carrying along an entirely different path depending on how you act. This is probably why the game is shorter than last time, at around 20 hours - but it's no excuse for the rushed and unsatisfying finale.

The laughably coy sex scenes (Geralt is sterile so can afford to put himself about a bit) of the first game have thankfully been de-emphasised this time, and the ridiculous 'sex cards' have been given the boot. This at least counts as an improvement on last time, but relatively little else does.

As attractive as the graphics are the animation is still terrible and the game world full of minor glitches. Some of the worst concern the quest information, with map markers and descriptions regularly not showing up.

The dialogue, translated from the original Polish, is a little better but it's nowhere near the standard needed to support the game's ambitions. Certainly not given the low quality voice-acting - which again is slightly improved, but still distractingly poor.

The tutorials are as obtuse and secretive as ever too and combined with the ass-backwards difficulty curve ensure the game remains horribly inaccessible to all but existing genre fans.

Which is a terrible shame as there are a lot of great ideas here, particularly the whole moral decision making process - which we've not seen handled better in any other game.

True to form that makes The Witcher 2 itself incredibly difficult to recommend, even though we're sure some people are going to love it. Unpolished and uneven, despite the attempts at maturity The Witcher is still disappointingly under-developed.

In Short: An ambitious and morally complex role-player, but one still limited by a poor script and half-broken game mechanics.

Pros: Believable characters and the moral decisions are handled better than in any other role-player. Excellent visuals (except for the animation).

Cons: Frustrating combat and controls. Weak script and voiceovers. Numerous bugs, poor interface and insubstantial tutorial. Bizarre difficultly curve.
What the fuck is this shit? This is supposed to be a review?

Suchy

Arcane
Imbecile said:
I've seen another 6/10 from a review site that I trust, but on the flip side my mate has bought it and thinks that its excellent. It sounds like its improved from the Witcher in some respects, but worsened in others. The difficulty curve sounds a bit fucked up.
If you liked TW1, you'll like this one for sure. It's better in almost every aspect - except the difficulty balancing which is indeed a bit fucked up. I'm in the middle of Act 2 and it's already getting too easy (playing on hard).

Imbecile

Arbiter
Suchy said:
Imbecile said:
I've seen another 6/10 from a review site that I trust, but on the flip side my mate has bought it and thinks that its excellent. It sounds like its improved from the Witcher in some respects, but worsened in others. The difficulty curve sounds a bit fucked up.
If you liked TW1, you'll like this one for sure. It's better in almost every aspect - except the difficulty balancing which is indeed a bit fucked up. I'm in the middle of Act 2 and it's already getting too easy (playing on hard).

Cool, I'll borrow it after my mate has finished with it then. I actually liked TW1, whereas he couldnt get into it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suchy said:
Imbecile said:

Well if TW1's combat was completely overhauled in a mod(and that was basically far shittier than TW2's combat, which mostly faces balance problems) then I'm sure TW2 will be fixed eventually either in patches or a mod.

Suchy

Arcane
Phage said:
He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10, which was fucking awesome.

Unfortunately the fact that it's only on consoles means that nobody here will really know what I'm talking about.
I watched some gameplay vids. Looks like shit and the console mechanics are terrible, but I like the atmosphere and this heavy Twin Peaks vibe. I'd give it a go, if it was released for PC.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I fully endorse this review. 100% spot on.

Also: Deadly Premonition is indeed awesome, but it's honestly one of those games that are much better watched rather than played. Its shit controls and Shenmue-gameplay demands a lot from the player. Supergreatfriend's very fun, very informative let's play is almost wrapping up. Go watch that, see if you like what you see and if so watch the rest of the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend

edited for it's its.

MasPingon

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:

Also: Deadly Premonition is indeed awesome, but it's honestly one of those games that are much better watched rather than played. Its shit controls and Shenmue-gameplay demands a lot from the player. Supergreatfriend's very fun, very informative let's play is almost wrapping up. Go watch that, see if you like what you see and if so watch the rest of the videos.

edited for it's its.

So you say this typical emo japanese console "mystery" shit with more cutscenes then gameplay, terrible dialog and awful qte combat is better? Nice to know

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
MasPingon said:
Andyman Messiah said:

edited for it's its.

So you say this typical emo japanese console "mystery" shit with more cutscenes then gameplay, terrible dialog and awful qte combat is better? Nice to know
So you think Deadly Premonition and The Witcher 2 is the same genre? Good to know.

Also I drew your portrait: :retarded:

Edit: Also 2: Even though I haven't spent much time with Witcher 2, so far it's been a "good for what it is" type of game. Better than the first, definitely, but then the first Witcher was a piece of shit in every department, so yeah.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
6/10 is not a bad score. I mean, 3, 4 or even 5/10 I would disagree with, as it would be too low*, but any score from 6 to 10 is probably within subjective view range of the game's actual quality, so I don't see any problem.

* The graphics alone make this game better than average.

J_J_M

Educated
Even if you don't like TW2, you have to realize where this guy is coming from. He hates PC gaming, and probably gave the game bad scores just to spite PC gamers and get hits on his article.

The fat fuck has demonized PC gamers for piracy on several occasions. Last time he blamed PC gamers for the leaked Crysis 2 beta version (after which he conveniently ignored the leaked DA2 and Portal 2 console versions). While I agree with some of his points, I know he is doing it because he likes to pick on PC gamers, not because he cares for PC gaming. Just so you know.

Gord

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
6/10 is not a bad score. I mean, 3, 4 or even 5/10 I would disagree with, as it would be too low*, but any score from 6 to 10 is probably within subjective view range of the game's actual quality, so I don't see any problem.

This, at least this is as it should be.

But most of you guys sound more like:

Woah, a review site that's actually using scores below 8? Author has to be an idiot then!

Especially, as it is the Codex' latest favourite (wonder if it's going to swing) toy he's talking about.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MicoSelva said:

Well, giving TW2 6/10 is not really a big deal for me. I mean I'd give it much higher but it's obvious not everyone have to love the game. What is retarded is that this fag rated DA2 higher than TW2 :decline:

Suchy

Arcane
Gord said:
MicoSelva said:

Woah, a review site that's actually using scores below 8? Author has to be an idiot then!

Especially, as it is the Codex' latest favourite (wonder if it's going to swing) toy he's talking about.
Beacause in real gaming journalism, the scale is from 8 to 10.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Suchy said:
Gord said:
MicoSelva said:

And the guy is a retard.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not the score. Just read the review, he is bullshiting left and right. Having a different taste is one thing, but saying that the game sucks just because the player is too stupid to figure it out how it works is a completely different beast.

Phelot

Arcane
I'd imagine Mr. Sterling thought he was giving a piss poor score with a 6, but it actually isn't so bad as MicoSelva pointed out. If 5 is average, meaning you should have a pretty good time at certain points in the game while also having some dull or frustrating points, than a 6 sounds perfect for TW2. It is slightly above average, but it has it's flaws. You might want to play through a few times, but you'll likely get satisfied with one play through. You'll likely not remember it in a few years, but if you do, you might get the hankering to fire it up again.

Elzair

Cipher
I am sure this guy will be charged by Polish lancers any day now.

Gord

Arcane
J_C said:
It's not the score. Just read the review, he is bullshiting left and right. Having a different taste is one thing, but saying that the game sucks just because the player is too stupid to figure it out how it works is a completely different beast.

I don't know, there are a few lines that sound like he's indeed missing handholding-devices like quest-compass, pop-us, etc. which you get in many recent games, but mostly his critique doesn't seem that unreasonable. Then again I have not yet played the game.
Still, from what I've read in the review he doesn't hate the game, he's even implying it's not bad at all, just not entirely his beast.
Certainly it wouldn't stop me from playing it if I would be interested in the first place (and considering other reviews).
Also it's seems better to me than restricting oneself to 8/9/10 scores.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Konjad said:
Well, giving TW2 6/10 is not really a big deal for me. I mean I'd give it much higher but it's obvious not everyone have to love the game. What is retarded is that this fag rated DA2 higher than TW2 :decline:
I haven't played DA2, so it's hard to tell me if it should or should not be rated higher than TW2. The Codex Consensus seems to indicate this is not the case. But then, destructoid guy's criteria for game evaluation may be, and probably are, different than ours, so he may as well give a higher score to DA2, if he sees that as fair.
The conclusion to draw from this is that we probably shouldn't follow his reviews very closely and definitely not base our decisions to try a game on his scores, as he's clearly looking for other things in games than we are.

Or he's trolling, but that does not change the conclusion.

Suchy said:
Yeah, a shitton of games are overrated, for various reasons. The marketing wheel just has to keep on spinning. That's why we ignore most of mainstream gaming journalism here, unless for lulz purposes.
We do, right?

J_C said:
I've read it. It's typical amateurish gaming journalism, nothing special. I could write a review at this level too, probably. But it really doesn't matter as
1. not that many people read reviews anyway
2. of those that do, how many will value destructoid's opinion over others? Some of his permanent reader base, maybe.

bhlaab

Erudite
phelot said:
I'd imagine Mr. Sterling thought he was giving a piss poor score with a 6, but it actually isn't so bad as MicoSelva pointed out. If 5 is average, meaning you should have a pretty good time at certain points in the game while also having some dull or frustrating points, than a 6 sounds perfect for TW2. It is slightly above average, but it has it's flaws. You might want to play through a few times, but you'll likely get satisfied with one play through. You'll likely not remember it in a few years, but if you do, you might get the hankering to fire it up again.

I'm not convinced he puts that much thought into the things he writes but I envy your willingness to see rainbows through the rain~

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I have to defend Poland's greatest treasure here, even though I've not played Witcher 2. I base this on the general reactions of players in differing mindsets.

On one spectrum the PC crowd who are more open-minded and willing to try things will probably be pleasantly surprised by the challenge. The other spectrum is...

The game never tells you how to throw items, for example, nor does it tell you what most of your spells actually do as part of the actual tutorial. It hearkens back to the old 'you have to read the manual to know what the hell anything does' days, and while you can go into your journal and read all sorts of 'oh so this is how things work' the game is quite terrible at actually walking you through anything to understand how it works for real.

So, yeah. The lowest common denominator will not be amused if they get slaughtered 10 times in tutorial when Dragon Age 2 cradles them in its loving arms, and let them suckle the awesome, juicy nipples of blood-gushing action RPG as form of the tutorial.

Master

Arbiter
Pretty accurate description of the game other than a couple of points and no mention of the horrible interface. But other than that...

What is it about TW2 and 3 the Codex likes so much? My theory and one thing i noticed is that if a game has a guy in it that is a "bro". It will get instant plus points from Codexers. I dont know if its some Freudian thing going on
:updatedmytxt: but if a game has this "bro" character the Codex just goes apeshit and disregards all the flaws.

What is it about TW2 and 3 the Codex likes so much? My theory and one thing i noticed is that if a game has a guy in it that is a "bro". It will get instant plus points from Codexers.
No, it's just that the Codex is top heavy with people who believe that interactive fiction is the apex attribute of RPGs. A sort of dumbed-down cousin of that attitude, dialogue choices == RPG, is also something that bleed over into the mainstream. Neither TW 2 or 3 are good RPGs by any metric I'd use, but I found TW 2 a really entertaining example of interactive fiction. TW 3 also, but to a lesser extent as the good stuff is smothered in a pointlessly open world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom