Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The level of copy paste texturing in those large, square rooms was really something (especially those rooms with the big bonfires after the main bosses). Like a poorly made fan map. FROM has certainly made worse games though (Eternal Ring) and I did really enjoy the DLC for 2. It never should have been a Dark Souls sequel, though, and should have just been called King's Souls or something if they wanted to milk the franchise with a spin-off.

Arnust

Savant
dark-souls-3-bad-textures.jpg

(and remember that weird ass floor texture glitch that happens every time even today in the Profaned Capital ladder after the bonfire?)

It's almost like if every one of the games has had to cut a varying amount of corners, and the one that was reset development at least TWICE, rushed release to last gen to bank into it and not get in the way of BB/3, and god knows what other malaise, eventually having cut so many corners that you could play hockey with it. People are obviously aware of this because they've got fucking eyes, but it is telling of its victories that people are willing to get past them (plus it is last gen, not everything is because of time constraints), especially with the SOTFS changes.

"Games designed around fast reflexes are terrible design because [...] it's just boring" + "Because the non-reflex-intensive playstyles in DS series are dull"
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here because you're calling both parry and "non-parry" types boring (that's aside from the bizarro breakdown of style options), but playing it anyway.

First, a slight correction: I did not call parrying boring, I called fast reflex based gameplay boring. Parrying in DS series is more than just fast reflexes, you also have to learn different enemies attack patterns, which is as close as you are going to get to technique in DS. It's not great, could be better, but compared to other stuff it's pretty good. This is why I enjoy parrying in DS games, but my point was, in DS2, with the wind up time, it was made too ineffective. I can work really hard to master parrying in DS2, and get better at it, but ultimately, it will still be only partially effective, whereas I can roll instead and be much more effective.

But rolling is boring. It's too easy to roll out of the way, since it's not as punishing missing the timing on a roll as it is with parrying (unless dealing with huge boss attacks that cover a lot of area), and it goes on too long, since it doesnt have the consistent equivalent of riposte damage (backstabs don't automatically activate after a successful roll). And of course, just from an aesthetic point of view, rolling is retarded. Imagine watching a movie with a sword fight scene, and one dude rolls away as a regular defensive move. This is why I don't like rolling, even though I do it a lot.

The non-timing approaches (tanking, massive 2 handers, spells, ranged) are dull in DS games, because there is no technique. You just spam something.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The non-timing approaches (tanking, massive 2 handers, spells, ranged) are dull in DS games, because there is no technique. You just spam something.

Every playstyle expect shooting arrows from beyond the enemies' aggro radius requires timing. If you attack too late or too early, you're gonna get caught and take damage, and possibly get stunlocked or gangraped to death. It doesn't matter which weapon you use. I actually know this because I've played through all the games multiple times with multiple different builds.

"Parrying is dull in DS games, because there is no technique. You just press the parry button at the right time and win. You're even invincible during the riposte animation so you can do it while being ganked by 10 enemies." See how this works? :prosper:

Every playstyle expect shooting arrows from beyond the enemies' aggro radius requires timing. If you attack too late or too early, you're gonna get caught and take damage, and possibly get stunlocked or gangraped to death. It doesn't matter which weapon you use. I actually know this because I've played through all the games multiple times with multiple different builds.

Technically, yes, but the timing requirement for those other approaches is so lax that it's not really a gameplay element the same way as it is for parrying/rolling builds. I have played DS games with those types of builds, eg my Zweihander build in DS1. It was super easy, just hold up block, negate most damage, pancake them, etc.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to see you play one of these so-called "boring" builds through content you've never played before. I doubt you'd find it as easy as you think.

Well, I played the Zweihander strength build through the first couple of bosses/minibosses in DS1 (Taurus Demon, Black Knight, armored pig). Took out Taurus Demon 2nd try, Black Knight first try, armored pig 1st try. Was very easy.

I also played a tank build against Manus in DS1 expansion. Didn't want to spend time learning all his moves, so I just used the Eagle Greatshield. Keep in mind, this is with a dex build, with crappy stability (compared to higher end greatshields that required more strength than I had), no experience, and I took him out on 1st or 2nd try. It's just too easy, block, block, get a hit in when he is obviously on cooldown, block.

Arnust

Savant
You’re complaining it’s a cop out and boring, when intentionally playing the most cop out and boring play style posible. Figures.

I also played a tank build against Manus in DS1 expansion. Didn't want to spend time learning all his moves, so I just used the Eagle Greatshield. Keep in mind, this is with a dex build, with crappy stability (compared to higher end greatshields that required more strength than I had), no experience, and I took him out on 1st or 2nd try. It's just too easy, block, block
- That’s not a tank build, you were just using a great shield for a bit. Stability also is only dependent of the shield itself, and the Eagle Shield has a more than fine one even if it is on the low end of its spectrum, so I don’t know what are you on about.

- Yet again, you complain of the lack of depth when you’re actively avoiding to experience it at any level. The thing you’re also supposed to do when belittling, is showing a point of comparison where it allegedly is better, and you haven’t done that either. Because you just described the back and forth, even if deductively, of any and every action game out there.

- You keep saying “easy”. Easy this, easy that. Pretty much any and all of us could say how easy it all is, but the thing is that you can only start to pretend to talk objectively about difficulty or the lack thereof, from more perspectives than your current own. I can safely say that Artorias is difficult to the people fighting him blind in the same way Gwyn was; an unoptimized build with somewhat evenly spread level ups and medium class weapon and shield isn’t really the best, and he’s a completely different pace to the most of the other fights, which you haven’t really been eased to. And also has a unique mechanic of self buffing when he already has a pretty high base damage. It could also be worth noting a rather long corpse run with some not so trivial enemies in the way.

“EZ PZ what are y’all even on about” is pretty good for gloating, but it’s only really making you seem even dumber right now.

You’re complaining it’s a cop out and boring, when intentionally playing the most cop out and boring play style posible. Figures.

My point was, had you bothered to actually read what I write instead of just whining with the crowd, that I did try different approaches to DS games, including parrying, rolling, ultra massive weapons with poise, tanking, ranged weapons, so that gives me the perspective to comment on the combat system overall.

- That’s not a tank build, you were just using a great shield for a bit. Stability also is only dependent of the shield itself, and the Eagle Shield has a more than fine one even if it is on the low end of its spectrum, so I don’t know what are you on about.

Well, besides the shield, I also put on Havel's set armor (except the helmet), so it was pretty much a tank, equipment-wise. Obviously if I was actually specced into tanking, I would've been a lot more powerful, but that just supports my point.

- Yet again, you complain of the lack of depth when you’re actively avoiding to experience it at any level. The thing you’re also supposed to do when belittling, is showing a point of comparison where it allegedly is better, and you haven’t done that either. Because you just described the back and forth, even if deductively, of any and every action game out there.

What point of comparison? It's pretty much known that most melee combat in games is absolute crap. Do you want me to compare DS games to Skyrim or something? Well, yeah, then they are just great. But that doesn't stop me from making appropriate criticisms against what I feel are shortcomings of their system.

- You keep saying “easy”. Easy this, easy that. Pretty much any and all of us could say how easy it all is, but the thing is that you can only start to pretend to talk objectively about difficulty or the lack thereof, from more perspectives than your current own. I can safely say that Artorias is difficult to the people fighting him blind in the same way Gwyn was; an unoptimized build with somewhat evenly spread level ups and medium class weapon and shield isn’t really the best, and he’s a completely different pace to the most of the other fights, which you haven’t really been eased to. And also has a unique mechanic of self buffing when he already has a pretty high base damage. It could also be worth noting a rather long corpse run with some not so trivial enemies in the way.

“EZ PZ what are y’all even on about” is pretty good for gloating, but it’s only really making you seem even dumber right now.

I don't really say the whole series is easy, I had a lot of troubles in DS1, as you can see from my posts in that thread. I am just saying, there are hard and easy ways to play these games. Playing a parry build is very difficult, but playing as a pancake build or tank build or sorcerer build is pretty easy.

Well, the deed is done. I have completed Dark Souls 2.

Took down the following bosses today:

Vendrick
Throne Watcher and Throne Defender
Nashandra

Vendrick was fairly easy once you have 4 Giant Souls in the inventory, although how people figured this out when the game was new is beyond me. Strategy guide? Some hint somewhere? Who knows... He hits very hard, but is farily slow and predictable.

The throne douchebag duo were a little annoying, but I got them on the third try. Basically wait for the quick guy to leave himself exposed, and hit him once or twice.

Nashandra at first looked kinda scary, but I quickly figured her out. An easy way to take her down is to just ignore curse damage (i put on dark quartz ring and regen ring, not sure how much they help against curse damage), hit her 3 times, then back off. Up close she has a lot of fast attacks, but at range, she has a slow ray attack that's easy to dodge and heal. After that, she was easy as cake.

So in total I took down 29 bosses. Skipping the optionals and DLC stuff, as I don't like this game that much.

Anyways, it had some of what makes Dark Souls games fun, the world that is slowly opened up by your actions, the grim atmosphere, and so on. But in most ways, it's inferior to DS1. The world lacks the cool interconnected design of the former, the story and atmosphere are not as good, and the combat system in my opinion took a step back.

Beggar

Cipher
Too bad you skipped DLC stuff. By far the best content in DS2. For me it's the only motivation to go play DS2 all the way through just to experience those 3 DLC locations. Combat is terrible, but the content itself is amazing.

Explorerbc

Arcane
The DLCs are one difficulty setting above the vanilla game. Only there did I have to retry multiple times to get the bosses. I eventually got everything except the Darklurker and the Frigid Outskirts that I didn't even bother visiting.

Anyway, you can't stop the Rock. After experiencing the perils of spontaneous combustion in the Kiln
82A372E34460FA85E73FD6ED80FF2643CA9D16C8

as a reward for his hard labor our hero is this time entombed in his empty throne
245E3119E1EB25F38930D074B110D8DEDA657985

At least he's not on fire. Where will his adventures take him next ? To be continued ...

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Look, I respect that guy. I probably spent a total of more than 10 hours dawdling around in town or checking my stats during my playthrough because I was too scared to proceed through the next area.

Perkel

Arcane
Replaying SOTF version with my friend who got back to PC gaming from console peasantry kingdom...

Was there any patch addressing how poison works or any new bugs ? I don't remember it being so lethal in DS2.
Right now it feels like it is toxic rather than poison and with normal lifegems you are not able to "hold" it for a time.
I think it damages me twice fast than it used to.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Replaying SOTF version with my friend who got back to PC gaming from console peasantry kingdom...

Was there any patch addressing how poison works or any new bugs ? I don't remember it being so lethal in DS2.
Right now it feels like it is toxic rather than poison and with normal lifegems you are not able to "hold" it for a time.

Nah, Poison was always super deadly in DS2. In DS1 it ddn't matter, but it DS2 its an actual threat.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

That's that shit boyeeeeeeee

Perkel

Arcane
Nah, Poison was always super deadly in DS2. In DS1 it ddn't matter, but it DS2 its an actual threat.

Are you sure poison didn't change going from vanilla to sotfs ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom