Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Morkar Left

Gentlemen, may I ask why...

... dwarfs in this game aren't short...

Actually they are short. Or at least shorter. But yeah, redesigning the dwarves was something they should have avoided.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Alright, finally managed to sit down with this game. Thanks to the update the game works a bit smoother, and they seem to have fixed the issue I had with blurriness in the face of NPCs. I didn't play too far in as the game still has some hiccups every now and then so I'll wait for the game to be patched even further so that I can get a smooth experience, but so far I really, really enjoy what I'm seeing here. The combat is a lot of fun and I can see there being some potential for party building so I'm liking how there might be replayability here. The music is also very enjoyable, especially the combat theme. This game is more or less how I imagined it to be so I have no disappointments so far from the design of the game. It's just rough of on a technical level. I've noticed some odd kinks like Low, Medium and High texture options don't change the textures at all. They all look equally bad, but on Ultra it looks fine. They need to fix that so that Medium and High actually do something. I also read how people complained that different weapon types don't seem to matter. Not sure if this was something patched in or people didn't notice, but I saw that when I had a Sword equipped I gained a passive that granted me +1 attack to the Storm of Blades ability, meaning that it will do 12 damage with it instead of 9.. in theory. The problem was that this passive seems to be bugged and it isn't working.

So yeah. Fix the technical issues and this is a very good game for me. Really happy with what I've played so far.

How's the combat speed? Is there options to speed up the fighting animation or just skip it?
Combat is quite fast paced. Definitely not an issue of complaint for me so far. They are going to add an extra option down the line to make it even faster.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Despite all negative things you've seen and heard, there is no way avoiding it
rating_prosper.png

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
From what little I've played, it seems like it could be semi-fun in the long run. Lighthearted little grinder. I've not seen much technical dissues so far, some screen tearing and few glitches (like NPC's separated feet jumping out of the robes as they walk), but that's all. It doesn't seem to be as fun as MMXL, though. The mechanics (or, the lack of certain ones like weapon damage, armor values, no to-hit rolls, the character system, and so on...) do feel offputting and stupid, but I suppose if one can get used to those, there's easily at least one playthrough of this game to be had -- unless it gets way worse later on.

Curratum

For anyone considering the game RIGHT NOW, stay well the fuck away.

It's full of bizarre design choices that may not be a deal breaker but the performance is so hideously bad you simply won't be able to enjoy the experience, even if you can get with all the weird.

I held off until level 15 to replace the story companions with mercenaries (because no respec) only to find that the Baed bonus skill points -- the entire point of picking Baed -- don't work with mercenary character gen. Don't bother recruiting Baedish mercenaries.

V_K

Arcane
The only settings that actually affect performance are the shadow setting, the ambient occlusion checkmark and lowering (or raising) screen percentage. Everything else can safely be left on high/ultra, with possible exception of view distance.

EDIT: of course it goes without saying that with shadows on low and AO disabled the game looks absolutely terrible, worse than Oblivion.
I agree with you. I posted screenshot on medium and it runned like shit. After i killed the shadows the game runs well on ultra textures with AA on. I looks decent and it runs ok.

newtmonkey turn off the shadows and the game will run better.
Reminds me of the fun times I had with Divinity: Ego Draconis, where my character would get semi-stuck in the scenery and I didn't understand why until I turned off the shadows.

PEACH

Arbiter
Not drunk enough yet, instead I decided to try The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians from my Steam library and ended up playing it for 70 mins straight. Seems pretty good so far, Real time blobber without dance of death, though you can use the real time nature of the combat to flee from combat and draw enemies into traps. XD

Got about 1/3rd that bottle left, so let's see if I wake tomorrow morning with some ugly broad in my bed—I mean, Bard's Tale IV purchased and sitting in my Steam library!

Try the 7th Circle, if you want to play a turn-based roguelike single-char blobber with a good horror mood, it's more competent than BT4
Holy Shit, tried the 7th circle. Absolutely loving it so far. and the soundtrack so far is simply superb.

As a huge bonus absolutely no KAWAI KANCER like Labyrinth of Dusk.

7th Circle is really neat but I'm curious what either of you end up thinking of the difficulty by about the fourth floor.

I hadn't died once on my run and by the time I quit I was pretty much the terminator. Considered killing off my character to reroll on a harder difficulty but it was much much harder to die at that point than to clear entire floors due to high HP/evade/armour so I lost my patience and uninstalled

There's a lot to like in the game so I'd be happy to hear if one of the other difficulties actually forced you to make use of the crafting/potions/rest spots but in my experience the permadeath system just means any character who doesn't die turns into a god really fast and the good aspects of the game get pretty severely undermined by being able to mash A to win every fight

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
I want to buy this game so bad, but it also looks so bad.

Again, for the Nth time, it does not look bad ( by "look bad" I assume you're talking about the graphics ) at all, just the first areas do. In fact some of the mid-game areas look fantastic. Here, look at this and tell me this is bad (spoilers ofc):

pB3AxD9.jpg

T8omBCj.jpg

lonKfet.jpg

QSKvt1H.jpg

ElWG0dM.jpg

FyaPpbu.jpg

cG9KC8V.jpg

llfLRy9.jpg

JziEJzj.jpg

C5lApwL.jpg

Also, of note, lots of people are playing the game on medium and criticizing it for looking bad. Here's a picture someone posted on Steam some time ago to demonstrate how crappy the starting area is:

4DCAB3CC326EC527AC2005E272872F5DE8DF7F0C

.. but on my machine that's not at all how it looks like:

pZpvNgk.jpg

Notice the better lighting, water, reflections, fog.. basically everything..

Curratum

Nyast, you absolute fuckwit, could you please stop lying to people for a minute?

The game looks like absolute shit, even on Ultra everything.

Here are two shots of Ultra settings:

y3EUbVz.jpg

lu9r0mn.jpg

This is underground, where it's not as obscene as in daytime Skara Brae. The first shot looks like it came right out of Thief 3, a game made in 2004.

Nyast

Cipher
Those are the first areas, which I said were the worst.

I posted pictures of later areas in spoilers. Everybody can judge by themselves. If those are what you call "shit", then I'm afraid all games must look like shit to you.

V_K

Arcane
I want to buy this game so bad, but it also looks so bad.

Again, for the Nth time, it does not look bad ( by "look bad" I assume you're talking about the graphics ) at all, just the first areas do. In fact some of the mid-game areas look fantastic. Here, look at this and tell me this is bad (spoilers ofc):

pB3AxD9.jpg

T8omBCj.jpg

lonKfet.jpg

QSKvt1H.jpg

ElWG0dM.jpg

FyaPpbu.jpg

cG9KC8V.jpg

llfLRy9.jpg

JziEJzj.jpg

C5lApwL.jpg

Also, of note, lots of people are playing the game on medium and criticizing it for looking bad. Here's a picture someone posted on Steam some time ago to demonstrate how crappy the starting area is:

4DCAB3CC326EC527AC2005E272872F5DE8DF7F0C

.. but on my machine that's not at all how it looks like:

pZpvNgk.jpg

Notice the better lighting, water, reflections, fog.. basically everything..
I wouldn't call all those screenshots all that fantastic tbh. They differ wildly in both quality and style, and you still can see some artefacts here and there. Plus, tellingly, none of them shows any characters or monsters.

Curratum

I didn't see the rest of the screens, just the first corridor shot, then I scrolled down. Yeah, it does seem to get better, too bad I can't bear the average 30 fps and the constant freezes, stuttering and drops to 19-20something.

Some of those later shots just scream "let's throw polygons at it, it will be ok in the end!". The devs seem completely lost when it comes to using UE4.

Curratum

I upgraded my CPU partly because of DQ XI, partly because of BT4.

The difference is, DQ XI is now locked at 60 and BT4 can only remain around 30 fps if I never move the camera or never go into combat.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Here are peak player numbers for the first Saturday. Normally a game beats its launch day peak at this time, but inXile last two releases have been exceptions. Torment memorably collapsed from 7k to 4k , while BT4 has only lost about two hundred players.

Code:
75.429 - D:OS 2
21.848 - Deadfire
18.846 - Wasteland 2
15.730 - Tyranny
 6.075 - Legend of Grimrock
 4.146 - Legend of Grimrock 2
 4.072 - Torment
 2.887 - Ex-Vikings
 2.542 - Star Control: Origins
 2.269 - Battle Brothers
 1,878 - Bard's Tale 4     <----
 1.716 - Neverwinter Nights EE
   595 - Stranger of Sword City
   450 - Starcrawlers
   172 - Grimoire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom