Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Latelistener

Arcane
YlVc.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Back in DMC3 Dante had Jack Daniel's in his office, this is probably because he's still young and thinks that Jack D is peak taste.
Now he drinks Monster Energy drinks, because he's now old and... I don't really understand what's going on in old people's mind but my uncle likes putting in Monster stickers on his motorcycle too so it's probably similar.

Dante is having his middle-age crisis now, please be kind to him.

Falksi

Arcane
I can't believe they've turned their back on the awesome reboot. They deliver us this all-singing, all-dancing brilliant new Dante then scrap him! Bastards.

Martius

Liturgist
I can't believe they've turned their back on the awesome reboot. They deliver us this all-singing, all-dancing brilliant new Dante then scrap him! Bastards.
Uhm, what do you mean by all-singing all-dancing? I guess you know now series fan felt when reboot was announced. It was supposed to reach out to wider audience, since that did not work out at least Capcom keep going with original series now.

Falksi

Arcane
Uhm, what do you mean by all-singing all-dancing? I guess you know now series fan felt when reboot was announced. It was supposed to reach out to wider audience, since that did not work out at least Capcom keep going with original series now.

I mean he sang & danced like Mary Poppins covered in Satan spunk.

Big Wrangle

is that a NuGOW camera
Nope, not close enough. :lol: Judging the gameplay videos we've seen this seems to be your typical "epic trailer zoom" thing that trailer dudes do for whatever reason.

sullynathan

Arcane
The camera zooms in, in one on one situations and zooms out when you move a lot and when there's multiple enemies. It seems to be erratic in small spaces and fast movement.
It has a slow mo zoomed in camera when you kill the last enemy/ boss, they took that from DmC.

Ent

Savant
I had a suspicion that they would tag on that shit from Special Edition. I wouldn't mind if they put a million different cosmetic items as dlc but stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way as it might mean that they purposely tone down the red orb acquisition rate to nudge people into buying them.

Martius

Liturgist
At least in Special Edition you could ignore that since all characters shared red orbs/proud souls so getting upgrades wasnt a problem.

sullynathan

Arcane
I never bought dmc4, but I did pirate it which gave me all the microtransaction shit. Let's just say, it was a bit easier when you have everything maxed out from the get go but doesn't change the game. These aren't rpgs

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Microtransaction shit is a bummer, but if they do it the same way they did in DMC4SE, then I can get over it. In that game they didn't change the rate of orb drops, so it really didn't change anything gameplay-wise.

Bahamut

Arcane
Capcom lately do all kind of game boosteres (RE:Rev2 and DMC4) but thankfully these are just for lazy people

Suicidal

Arcane
Enemy/boss designer Yoshida demoing the boss fight against Cavaliere Angelo from the Capcom stream.

Full TGS stream, fuck ign for taking their stuff down

I don't understand the purpose of having the boss teleport far away from the player and then spend 10 seconds channeling a spell that only hits a small area around himself.

Martius

Liturgist
If I had to guess then so players would actually use their mobility tools.

Suicidal

Arcane

What for? The boss uses an attack that only hits a small area around him after moving far away from the player, so the only thing the player needs to avoid it is to do nothing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What for? The boss uses an attack that only hits a small area around him after moving far away from the player, so the only thing the player needs to avoid it is to do nothing.
The boss is more vulnerable when charging up, so they HAVE to attack, but they also have to be careful not to get cought by the lightning dome strike (tm).

Martius

Liturgist
Beyond what J_C said mission ranking could include time of getting through mission. Sure, you can play super safe but that is not the way for best ranks. Typical risk versus reward stuff.

Suicidal

Arcane
But it looks so dumb. The boss is like "hey I have this spell that hits everyone close to me, let me teleport to the other side of the map before casting, that'll show em". It would be so much better if the spell hit the entire map, forcing the player to move quickly to the boss and hit him some times to interrupt the cast, or if the boss teleported on top of you and started channeling it, so you could do some damage to him and then move out of the way before it hits.

I understand that DMC is all about style and the power fantasy of playing as a super strong character but a boss that seems like he's deliberately trying to lose to you by misusing his abilities would take me out of this power fantasy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
But it looks so dumb. The boss is like "hey I have this spell that hits everyone close to me, let me teleport to the other side of the map before casting, that'll show em". It would be so much better if the spell hit the entire map, forcing the player to move quickly to the boss and hit him some times to interrupt the cast, or if the boss teleported on top of you and started channeling it, so you could do some damage to him and then move out of the way before it hits.

I understand that DMC is all about style and the power fantasy of playing as a super strong character but a boss that seems like he's deliberately trying to lose to you by misusing his abilities would take me out of this power fantasy.
You just don't get it. :obviously:

Martius

Liturgist
It could be case of easier difficulty setting, on harder modes all enemies are much more aggressive. This aoe attack looks like fire/light explosion attack from Belial or Beowulf which also are melee focused bosses. Hitting entire floor sounds like Nevan or Cerberus but you can avoid these by staying in air for long enough and these two are more of ranged/less mobile. I guess its more of keeping each boss different enough.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't understand the purpose of having the boss teleport far away from the player and then spend 10 seconds channeling a spell that only hits a small area around himself.
Watch closely. The boss teleports and charges his sword, the let's out lightning attack if the player is dumb enough to be that close to him after doing so.

It's likely a buff to his weapon since it now constantly glows purple, similar to artorias in dark souls who will jump away from the player and buff himself, if you're too close, he will let out an AOE attack.

Fortunately Artorias can be staggered and stopped from finishing his buff, I've not seen anyone do that to Cavalier Angelo.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom