Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Starflight 3 - upcoming sequel from original developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/801

Final Week!
POSTED: 09/21/2018

The Home Stretch!
This is it, folks! We’re six days out and we have a long way to go to reach our goal. It’s not looking good for our friends at Interstel but crazier things than an 11th hour funding win have happened! We’re doing our best to get the word out and we really appreciate the support, help and love you’ve shown for one of our favorite games of all time!

Chris Taylor Talks Starflight
For a little inspiration we got to catch up with Chris Taylor. Chris is an industry legend having designed some of great games including Dungeon Siege and Total Annihilation. Chris took some time to talk about what Starflight gave to him early on in his gaming journey!

Thanks so much for your support! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitterand Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
To bad this fund raising for this game is probably not going to make it.
During my game collecting days years ago I was determined to get Starflight 1 and 2 for the Amiga and Starflight for the Sega 16-bit as their gameplay sounded very interesting and because they were a part of gaming history.

I guess these days Elite Dangerous is probably the closest comparison to the idea of gameplay in the Starflight series. (commanding your own starship and explore various worlds and their surfaces).

I also had the idea that Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space, and Infinite Space: Sea of Stars were sort of modern sequels in spirit to the series.

Beastro

Arcane
Thanks for the post. I somehow missed Starflight 1 and 2, and I don't remember ever hearing about them until I saw news about this fig the other day.

Anyone that has played them recommend them for play today? I understand the difference between being a good game for its time and still being a good game.

Also, I will invest in this fig. We were just whining in another thread about how rare sci-fi rpgs are. I can't whine about the lack of something and then not fund that something when I get the chance.

I'll add to give the Genesis port of SF1 a try. It has a nice facelift, especially with the sound. The effects and the little bit of music it has are wonderful to get you into the sense that you're in this wide open, but isolating and dangerous field of space where you're on your own.

First time playing it as a kid I was so unsettled by the tone I turned it off feeling too weirded out when I ran into the Mechans.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
These days you don't get far with a few bits of concept art and some hints of a good story alone. Makes you wonder whether Greg is in this with all his heart, or whether someone pushed him to do the crowdfunder.

Maybe they could just use the campaign-builder in Star Control: Origins?
Actually, if you think about it, there is substance to this. Maybe the way to salvage the campaign is to convince Greg that his best option is to contact Stardock and ask for the missing $400K in exchange for a publishing deal. Do we have anyone with the necessary connections to facilitate this in time?

MRY Maybe your clout as a developer of Primordia and ToN would be sufficient for Greg to take this suggestion seriously if you contacted him on Fig?

Morkar Left

These days you don't get far with a few bits of concept art and some hints of a good story alone. Makes you wonder whether Greg is in this with all his heart, or whether someone pushed him to do the crowdfunder.

Yep, besides "we're making SF3" there isn't anything I can really get out of it. How will they advance the old mechanics? Will they improve the crew xp/skill system? Will there just be a TV driving around or can you explore some ancient alien ruins by foot? What happened to Arth, they are talking about Earth... Besides I don't feel really passionate about the story setup where Earth is vanished and you're the only ship left. Planet's Edge already did that...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two hours left before failure.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/807

2 Days to Go!
POSTED: 09/25/2018

This is It!
Well folks, we’re not gonna lie: it’s lookin’ grim. With only 2 days to go and the campaign at just over 50% of its goal we need a cosmic miracle. And those don’t come around too often. But what also doesn’t come around that often is the chance to engage with an amazing group of people who love Starflight as much as we do!

We’re almost done setting up our post-campaign channels for us all to stay in touch. Once that’s complete we’ll send out another update!

Thanks again so much for your support! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

Lmaooooo: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/808

The Elon Bundle
POSTED: 09/26/2018

Well today the Internet Gods™ smiled upon as as one of YOU, the best most supportive fans on Arth tweeted at the amazing Elon Musk, telling him to swoop in and fund Starflight 3 the rest of the way. Well he responded! Buuuut not 100% the way we wanted, talking about some otherawesome sci-fi game (which we happen to love too!)... So we decided to sweeten the deal a bit!

Today we’ve created a new one-of-a-kind bundle: The Elon Bundle. At $420,000 (USD) this can only be had for a king’s ransom. BUT if a certain king were to come along and purchase this not only would Starflight 3 meet its goal but it would also include a new race in every copy of the game. And for this one beloved benefactor, he would get a special truly one-of-a-kind box copy of the game.

SO WE NEED YOU, OH AMAZING FANS! Take to Twitter! Let Elon know how much we AND the universe need him! You can make your voice heard here:

https://twitter.com/Agent_KO/status/1044766555471405057

Desperate times call for desperate measures and any noise we can make could make all the difference!

Thanks again so much for your support! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F26%2F00c5b5cd-2d18-472e-95a4-711d9d87b7ba

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it failed, at $466k (165k in pledges and 301k in investments) of a $800k goal.

Thank You
Posted: 09/28/2018

Today marks the last day of the campaign, what a ride! We wish it would have ended better financially for us. $800K was ambitious especially for a new team looking to get the resources to go further with our prototype ideas and story. We learned a lot about what might have worked better, where we made the right calls and where we could have made better ones.

But, what makes us most excited is the Starflight community coming together, letting us get to know it more and really changing how we thought about Starflight 3. That’s right, will be. Starflight isn’t going away. We have no idea what the future holds for it but we know it’s not going away any time soon.

Discord and Mailing List!

No matter what happens we want you to come with us! So head over to starflight3.com where you will find links for all our social media accounts as well as our Discord server and mailing list! Near the end of the campaign we were busy preparing for the post-campaign setup and we may have not gotten to all your questions! Now you know where to go! YEAH!

Thank you so much for sharing with us your love, memories and amazing ideas for Starflight. Please continue the discussion with us. As Greg Johnson said to us yesterday, “I’m sorry we couldn’t quite carry the day, but plan Bs tend to always turn out better somehow once we’re in the future looking back.”

Cheers to Plan B!

The Starflight 3 Team

Blake00

Learned
I grew up playing the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis remake of Starflight.. probably ended up being my favourite game on the console. Was such a shame that the SF3 crowdfund failed, but the fan community was in a bad near dead state and almost none of the mainstream gaming media sites covered it so one knew about it!

gZDqcHx.png

Well here we are 3 years on and unfortunately there hasn't been another attempt at a Starflight 3 game crowdfund or a new demo. However recently the first ever Starflight Anthology book was released and to celebrate that occasion something really cool happened! I run the Starflight fan communities so as a 'thanks' I got invited to take part in a group video podcast interviewing non other than Starflight lead dev and creator Greg Johnson himself!

I was a nervous wreck as I don't normally do live stuff, and I think I was the only non-American on there so people were probably wondering wtf I was saying half the time lol, plus on top of that my giant 46" screen was glaring on my face making me look like a bloody ghost haha.. but in the end I had a blast as it was so cool to talk to one of the creators of a game I played so much as a kid, not to mention getting thanked by him for my Starflight community work! Greg was a super nice and humble guy and he told so many great stories about creating Starflight, and his very popular ToeJam & Earl console games, along with his consultation work on the Star Control games and Spore which many of us didn't know about! He even discussed the possibility of a Starflight and Star Control crossover game which would be pretty crazy! And sure enough he confirmed that the original Starflight games were heavily influenced by Star Trek heh.

He also confirmed that the dream of Starflight 3 is not dead and that just a week ago he was on the phone with someone trying to secure funding for it. He talked about his dreams of what the sequel could be and he showed openness to trying another crowdfund campaign. We did our best to assure him that the Starflight fan community is in a WAY better state then it was back in 2018 when they last tried the crowdfund as back then all the big old Starflight forums were gone and there was only around 100 people in my 'new' Starflight Fans Facebook group so there was just no one to friggin tell about it! That's up around 400ish members now, plus I've since created a Starflight Fans Reddit group which is closing on 100 now, and best of all there's the Official Starflight 3 Discord I help out on as a moderator which is now up to a massive 800ish members, so that's over a 1000 starflight fans that weren't around in 2018 so we're getting there! The games sold millions of copies back in the day so there's certainly still plenty of long lost Starflight fans out there though! If there's any Starflight old timers lurking around here I hope you come join the gang! :)

Anyway, here's the video podcast if anyone is interested. I posted a comment on youtube with timestamps of interesting topics should people wish to skip to stuff that interests them...

There was more I wanted to say on there but yeah.. obviously the podcast wasn't about me haha.. but I got to say most of what I wanted. Really the only big thing I didn't get to say on the podcast was that I'm excited to read the new Starflight - Tales From The Starport Lounge anthology book (I've ordered it from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet as it's probably on a slow ship heading for Australia lol!). I'm not a huge book person but I just had to get this as like I said earlier in the stream video it's amazing how playing a game and reading a book about an adventure set in that same game universe really enhances the experience. The game makes you love the book more and helps your imagination visualize the aliens and places they'll go to in the book. While vice versa the book makes you love the game more as it adds so much depth to the game universe and makes you crave going on your own adventures similar to the ones these new characters your reading about are going on. They both really buff and lift up each other to a whole new level forming this equilibrium of awesomeness haha! I had that experience with the Starflight manual short stories as a kid, and I had it in the years since with other games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Witcher, and the X Universe series space games that all have source or addon novels or short stories set in the same universe. So hopefully I'll like the new book and get to have that experience again with Starflight!

BnuLu40.jpg

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
I grew up playing the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis remake of Starflight.. probably ended up being my favourite game on the console. Was such a shame that the SF3 crowdfund failed, but the fan community was in a bad near dead state and almost none of the mainstream gaming media sites covered it so one knew about it!

For some reason there's 2 threads about the Starflight 3 crowdfund on the codex lol.. I've already posted in the other one so am not gonna duplicate spam the whole thing.. basically Greg Johnson confirmed in a interview I got to take part in a few days ago that the dream of Starflight 3 isn't dead.. more details in my other post here:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/starflight-3-a-sequel-from-original-series-creator-greg-johnson-now-on-fig.123634/page-2#post-7433275

Quantomas

Savant
Hey Blake00, very cool and nice post. I played Starflight I on an ATARI ST and still cherish the memory.

I gather you are a true believer in great old games, plus you put a huge effort into help them get going.

Greg Johnson obviously faces an uphill struggle, for which other oldtimers like Lord British and Paul Neurath (Underworld Ascendant) have to take part of the blame, by ruining the reputation these older devs had. Many see them as dinosaurs now.

I share your belief that Starflight is worth a second chance, though. But whether you can sell the same old design today is questionable. If it helps, I could draw up a grand AI design to make Starflight 3 something innovative and new, features that other games don't have, not something fancy but fully functional, smart and performant, so that Greg can create a superior pitch, and if it is successful a grand new Starflight game that retains its core driven by the most advanced tech. If you think this indeed could make a difference, feel free to send me a PM.

Blake00

Learned

For some reason there's 2 threads about the Starflight 3 crowdfund on the codex lol.. I've already posted in the other one so am not gonna duplicate spam the whole thing.. basically Greg Johnson confirmed in a interview I got to take part in a few days ago that the dream of Starflight 3 isn't dead.. more details in my other post here:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/starflight-3-a-sequel-from-original-series-creator-greg-johnson-now-on-fig.123634/page-2#post-7433275

Ignore this post.. admins moved the post I linked to over into this thread.

Hey Blake00, very cool and nice post. I played Starflight I on an ATARI ST and still cherish the memory.

I gather you are a true believer in great old games, plus you put a huge effort into help them get going.

Greg Johnson obviously faces an uphill struggle, for which other oldtimers like Lord British and Paul Neurath (Underworld Ascendant) have to take part of the blame, by ruining the reputation these older devs had. Many see them as dinosaurs now.

I share your belief that Starflight is worth a second chance, though. But whether you can sell the same old design today is questionable. If it helps, I could draw up a grand AI design to make Starflight 3 something innovative and new, features that other games don't have, not something fancy but fully functional, smart and performant, so that Greg can create a superior pitch, and if it is successful a grand new Starflight game that retains its core driven by the most advanced tech. If you think this indeed could make a difference, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks yeah this is one of many old series I loved playing and love to talk about to this day. Try to keep people informed when there's new developments with them.

Now that's a very interesting offer. I have Greg's email so I'll chuck you a PM with it so you could discuss your AI ideas with him if you wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom