Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where you explore a Pyramid?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne has a couple of pyramids.

51-SMT3-3187.jpg

vazha

Arcane
All inXile games.

:dontbelievehislies:
Posts like these is why I love Codex. A wonderful pun, good sire.
Re: pyramids, if ziggurats do indeed count, there is one at the very end of the Russian Corsairs (Age of Pirates) game. Not that impressive, mind you, you fight skeletons and the like (even a monkey skeleton as I recall). The game is still very good though and well worth your time.

also, Loki: HoM does have a pyramid if memory doesnt betray me. There is also an Aztec Ziggurat at the very end of the Gun, though you arent doing much exploring as you are busy killing the main baddie.

hilfazer

Scholar
Assassin's Creed Origins calls itself an RPG now so i guess it can be mentioned. I've read there's 19 tombs in there.

bataille

Arcane
DC:SS (roguelike) has ziggurats as a late-game optional challenge; you descend through the structure fighting your way through increasingly large levels for loot and glory. There's no real aesthetic sense of being in a pyramid though, it's just a structural thing. There is a Tomb level though which is very Egyptian-themed.

Also, not a CRPG, but seeing as how Dragon Quest was mentioned above - Illusion of Gaia on the SNES had a pyramid level as well as a few similar dungeons.

Edit: Didn't see you'd already mentioned Might and Magic.

Well, speaking of DCSS, there is this post-end dungeon called Tomb of the Ancients that is a pyramid in everything but its shape: from mummies to scarabs to sepulchers with sarcophagi. It's even got an optional boss that is the strongest mummy priest in the game (and one of the hardest bosses period; although it depends on whether you have some metagame knowledge), Khufu! That guy is on his way to goodhood!
If only the tomb was merged with a ziggurat........
EDIT: Lmao, I guess I'm still half asleep with my brain turned off: you even explicitly mention the tomb! Kill me! (Don't do it!)

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's great desert tomb dungeons in both NWN Shadows of Udrentide and The Prophet, part 2.

There are some pyramid levels in the NES action rpg Crystalis.

922screenshot1.png

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Not an RPG at all, more of a first person puzzle/adventure, but Total Eclipse was set in a pyramid. It also has a PC remake.

Also, to be even less relevant, Scarabeus (set in an Egyptian tomb, though not a pyramid):

ushas

Savant
What a fun request:)
No other rpgs coming to mind currently, but fondly recalling one series of puzzle games called Quadrax.

The recommended starting point is the one with the pyramid theme, Quadrax IV

scr00_en.jpg

Have to get two guys to the exit while can switch between them freely.
scr11.jpg

scr05.jpg

Damn it, lost my codes to the levels:negative:

The series gradually go up in difficulty, perhaps may call it progressive overload. Yeah, we have that in logical games, but it's something I would really like to see more in rpgs. The thing is, If one accepts the players to be adaptible (i.e. learning) animals, then, in order to maintain the challenge, it makes more sense to rather increase difficulty throughout the game than keeping it on the same level.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Might and Magic 3 Isles of Terra HAS pyramids... kind of ;)
Grimoire has a pyramid
Funny that nobody has metioned Wizards and Warriors
Edit: until the 3rd page they mentioned them

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I guess every possible RPG that exists is already mentioned one way or another, if you don't mind to wait a bit and want something tacticool instead of pure RPG, you could wait a bit for Pathway . It's whole premise seems to revolve around pyramids, Egypt and co

daveyd

Savant
Expeditions: Conquistador has Mesoamerican pyramids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom