Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

Tehdagah

Arcane
The game looks like a flop to me. The next weekend will be telling if the game had sunked. It looks like it sold less than 500,000 copies. Have in mind that we are talking about the publisher that whined how the first game sold only around 9 millions. This must be an epic fail in their book.

Screenshot_2018_9_17_Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider_Steam_Charts.png

Meh, PC Sales are only a small part of the overall picture (off the top of my head PC sales typically account for something like 10% with AA/AAA title multiplatform sales). I remember Shadow being a top seller on Steam for quite a while. Still, all the signs so far point to sales similar to RoTTR's original Xbox One launch, which isn't stunning. I expect the weak reviews are going to accelerate the drop.
The first (reboot) game sold more on PC than consoles IIRC.

A horse of course

The game looks like a flop to me. The next weekend will be telling if the game had sunked. It looks like it sold less than 500,000 copies. Have in mind that we are talking about the publisher that whined how the first game sold only around 9 millions. This must be an epic fail in their book.

Meh, PC Sales are only a small part of the overall picture (off the top of my head PC sales typically account for something like 10% with AA/AAA title multiplatform sales). I remember Shadow being a top seller on Steam for quite a while. Still, all the signs so far point to sales similar to RoTTR's original Xbox One launch, which isn't stunning. I expect the weak reviews are going to accelerate the drop.

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I'm unaware of a single title of its ilk that sold more on PC than console.

Tehdagah

Arcane

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I'm unaware of a single title of its ilk that sold more on PC than console.
It's not hard to believe, Steam sales are a thing. The game sold 5+ millions on PC.

A horse of course

It's not hard to believe, Steam sales are a thing. The game sold 5+ millions on PC.

Gonna need a source for that. I can only find a speculated figure of 2m on PC as of the 11m sales mark, which is based on Steamspy (lol).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Isn't this the classical modern problem of making sequels that are merely Last Game 1.5? Not to mention Lara should've become the badass yet sophisticated tomb raider after the 2013 reboot instead of wasting even more time on her "maturing as a character".

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Isn't this the classical modern problem of making sequels that are merely Last Game 1.5? Not to mention Lara should've become the badass yet sophisticated tomb raider after the 2013 reboot instead of wasting even more time on her "maturing as a character".

Not exactly. This is more the typical sequel made by a B team that results being better than the work of the main team. This is what I think at this moment about the game.

I've only experienced two fights against humans in the couple of hours I've played the game. I'm not exaggerating. I guess it will degenerate at the end but at the moment I like the tone of the game. The thing has been about moving in the jungle, resolving riddles and tombs and fighting against jaguars. Then, I arrived to a settlement in a river, where looks way more detailed and useful that the one in the geothermal valley in Rise. Not gonna lie on this, I'm really enjoyng the game. It doesn't offer the same susbstance that the original trilogy of Core design did in terms of laberintic levels and harsh plataforming. But I'm enjoying it at the same level than Legend/Anniversary/Underworld.

A horse of course

Finished with 100% completion. Probably the weakest of the 2nd reboot trilogy overall, even if it deserves credit for moving away from TR2013's Uncharted-esque action setpieces.

Not exactly. This is more the typical sequel made by a B team that results being better than the work of the main team. This is what I think at this moment about the game.

People can quibble over the areas where they differed, like the differences in pacing and foucs on puzzles/platforming, but where CD and SQM were attempting the same thing, Montreal did an objectively worse job - the actual combat, the climbing controls and detection, the visuals, music and scripted sequences.

Some people (including TR fansites) have been spreading the talking point that Shadow is "a return to the classics" or somesuch nonsense. Just to be clear - Shadow has (generally) larger tombs and more complex puzzles than the previous two games, but it's absolutely in no way comparable to the level design and approach to exploration of the Core titles. Overall I'd still recommend Shadow in a good sale (wait for the inevitable Definitive Edition or whatever), but Rise was a much more enjoyable experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried demoing Rise of The Tomb Raider on difficulty step below highest, got bored in couple hours. Enemies are completely braindead and very easy to kill and game is littered with boring collectibles, sometimes every few meters. Lara herself is extremely boring too. If this is more of the same I won't even bother trying. Also, everyone in game seemed to call her "Laura". Who cares, I guess. Certainly not devs of this crap.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Gonna need a source for that. I can only find a speculated figure of 2m on PC as of the 11m sales mark, which is based on Steamspy (lol).
Refer to the accurate steam leak that happened a few months back. The exact value is 5,495,033 as of then for Tomb Raider 2013.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold 2,491,210 as of then.

A horse of course

Refer to the accurate steam leak that happened a few months back. The exact value is 5,495,033 as of then for Tomb Raider 2013.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold 2,491,210 as of then.

AKSHULLY the steam leak is merely based on "players" cross-referenced with achievements, so it's not the same as sales figures like the ones Eidos publicized. Fair enough though, that's much higher than I believed it to be. I assume the 11m sales figure is based on both TR2013 and TR2013 Definitive Edition for current gen consoles, so 5m "owners" on PC is still pretty impressive.

A horse of course

The post-credits ending before the Day-1 patch. As far as I can tell the only real difference is that this ending has a letter from Natla Industries, twin pistols on the table next to Lara (in contrast to the bow and axe hung up on the wall), and lacks the ending shot with the childhood drawing of the family. I can see some people being unaware of this and ending up in a Berenstein Bears situation in a few years :lol:

During the course of development on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, multiple post-credits scenes were explored. Unfortunately one of the directions that was considered, but not chosen, was mistakenly included in the game. The Day One patch fixes this error, along with many other improvements. As always, we highly recommend that our players install the patch to enjoy the complete and most up-to-date experience.

Ash

Arcane

Fucking popamole PCtards.

A horse of course

She has a good pair. You can easily see it with the Syria tank top costume.

That's imported from Rise, but yeah. In terms of nu-Raider, Lara's bazongas are biggest in TR2013 (though they were reduced or possibly had jiggle reduced with the console Definitive Edition).

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
She has a good pair. You can easily see it with the Syria tank top costume.

That's imported from Rise, but yeah. In terms of nu-Raider, Lara's bazongas are biggest in TR2013 (though they were reduced or possibly had jiggle reduced with the console Definitive Edition).

I'ts the costume from Rise, but the body shape of Lara's model it's not exactly the same. Her chest and her shoulders are a bit wider in Shadow.

Dnb7TBlW4AAItG8.jpg

tumblr_ogdh814VUU1vhrxleo2_1280.png

I think Lara's breasts are slightly bigger in Shadow. There's some camera angles in the late game where you can see her neckline while wearing that costume, and check that she's very nicely equipped in that regard.

A horse of course

I saw a scientific analysis of Lara's breast size on /v/ but I forgot to save it :( Her boobs seem bigger in cutscenes with the default outfit but that might just be because it's tighter than most of the clothing from Rise.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've just got round to the Hidden City and have to say that I actually feel this game would benefit from more combat (at least the stealth kind) as so far the gameplay seems to consist of lots of tomb puzzling mixed up with running around talking in the hub locations. The exciting set pieces of the previous two titles seem to have disappeared so far.

Of course, some might consider this incline...

A horse of course

I've just got round to the Hidden City and have to say that I actually feel this game would benefit from more combat (at least the stealth kind) as so far the gameplay seems to consist of lots of tomb puzzling mixed up with running around talking in the hub locations. The exciting set pieces of the previous two titles seem to have disappeared so far.

The part up to and including the exploration of the Hidden City is the part most reviewers are latching on to. Depending on how you play and how long you put off story quests, you can go a good few hours of gameplay without any combat.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You won't get much combat until after leaving The Hidden City. The final chapter is pretty much gunfight after gunfight though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom