Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok, this is regarding the Numerians.

One of the worst random encounters is coming in contact with these fucks. I've honestly save-scummed a number of times because they seemed unbeatable. However, I beat them once, tracked them to their campsite, slaughtered them, and ended up with TWO NEW PARTY MEMBERS AS A RESULT!

So damn pumped right now. Excellent game design. Excellent RPG design!
When you say 'tracked', do you actually mean tracked, as in using the survival skill, or do you mean you walked down a corridor map?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One way to control random GPU usage spikes and temp spikes is to use a frame-rate limiter. No, I'm not joking, and yes, this works 100%. Limiting it to 57 or 58fps will ensure your GPU usage/temps don't spike in situations like the above where some random handle/thread goes crazy when opening in-game menu.

EDIT: This is because the more frames a GPU has to render the more it is taxed, regardless of what is actually displayed on-screen.
What program do you recommend ?

Jinn

Arcane
When you say 'tracked', do you actually mean tracked, as in using the survival skill, or do you mean you walked down a corridor map?

I mean "tracked" as in I needed to pass at least 2 varied skill rolls to find their camp. General exploration of the world map would probably bring you there, but only after awhile of looking.

PrettyDeadman

Ok, this is regarding the Numerians.

One of the worst random encounters is coming in contact with these fucks. I've honestly save-scummed a number of times because they seemed unbeatable. However, I beat them once, tracked them to their campsite, slaughtered them, and ended up with TWO NEW PARTY MEMBERS AS A RESULT!

So damn pumped right now. Excellent game design. Excellent RPG design!
You can do both. Track them after the encounter, or randomly stumble on their camp while travelling across the map (afaik)

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel like people are overexaggerating the difficulty of the combat. Regardless, when I first joined the forum I said that all we fucking needed was an IE-style game with writing on par with IWD or BG, and people shitted on me for expressing that opinion. We've now got an IE-style game with god-awful writing, and people are singing its praises like it's the second coming of Christ. I'll try the shit out and maybe stick with it if the combat is as good as people are claiming, but the writing looks fucking horrible. All the retards claiming it's endearing because it doesn't take itself too seriously have already been so cucked that they'll make excuses for anything.

Done with work and getting fully immersed.

I’ve gotta say, the first few hours of Kingmaker have been pretty eye-opening for me. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but the game is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the other Kickstarter and Kickstarter-adjacent CRPGs.

Maybe it’s because the gameplay doesn’t feel like padding that exists purely to space out lengthy NPC dialogues. I need to get my thoughts in order. For whatever reason, Kingmaker’s a lot more engaging than POE or Deadfire.
I will save you some time. because D&D. shitty RTwP D&D.
fixed.
Also there is no wanna be "novelist" writing gazillion words of "immersive" dialouge.

Also, mandatory begging for kingmaker key.

Gib kingmaker steam key plz.

if I had my way I would prefer turn based ToEE type combat. That would make this perhapse the best CRPG game ever. But under the circumstances, based upon where we are today with regards to gaming and CRPG specifically, I am very pleased with this game..and I can only think its going to get better as they fix bugs, release DLC and make sequels. Who knows... perhaps they will eventually release an option to play the game with a true ToEE style turn based system? Or better yet, switch back and forth between RTwP and turn-based depending on type of encounter. however, even if they never do, this game seems to be the start of something good.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I feel like people are overexaggerating the difficulty of the combat. Regardless, when I first joined the forum I said that all we fucking needed was an IE-style game with writing on par with IWD or BG, and people shitted on me for expressing that opinion. We've now got an IE-style game with god-awful writing, and people are singing its praises like it's the second coming of Christ. I'll try the shit out and maybe stick with it if the combat is as good as people are claiming, but the writing looks fucking horrible. All the retards claiming it's endearing because it doesn't take itself too seriously have already been so cucked that they'll make excuses for anything.

People have been making excuses for mediocre "incline" games since the kickstarter fad started...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW I don't like that the menu drives my GPU nuts to 100% usage and VSync seems not to apply at all. Anyone got a fix for this?

si82S8S.jpg
Have you tried to force VSYNC in drivers? Open NVIDIA panel, select game exe, and select force VSYNC.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and she just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."

Tao

Savant
A few questions:
-Where is the raven familiar?
-Can we get improved familiar? (consular imp specifically)
-Angel blood give wings at lv10 like in pnp?

The character creation is great but there a little lack of information. Mostly bc i dont know what is true to pnp and what did they change.

Anyways 5h to make my char just to dump him at the final check. I'm loving the game already :thumbsup:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."
On god I'd alt-f4 and automatically refund the game. Something that bad deserves to be pirated on principle.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."

Emos gonna emo :)

Jezal_k23

BTW I don't like that the menu drives my GPU nuts to 100% usage and VSync seems not to apply at all. Anyone got a fix for this?

si82S8S.jpg
Have you tried to force VSYNC in drivers? Open NVIDIA panel, select game exe, and select force VSYNC.

Yeah NVIDIA control panel doesn't do anything. Had to force it to 60 through RTSS.

Also does anyone else think the game feels like it's going in slow motion? Particularly the movement speed of the characters. The combat speed I don't mind.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On god I'd alt-f4 and automatically refund the game. Something that bad deserves to be pirated on principle.
Well obviously I didn't pay for this.

Between Neo-MCA, Paizo/Pathfinder in the background, the Golarion setting, and overtly SocJus developers, there was no chance this wasn't going to be a trainwreck of some kind.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the writing here is worse than Baldur’s Gate. How can you praise BG writing and then in the next breath claim we’re making excuses for PK when we say it doesn’t take itself too seriously? BG didn’t take itself too seriously either and believe me, the selling point for that series was never the writing. Kingmaker’s writing is really more than decent. I’m not sure what people think is so awful aside from the guys who get triggered by the occasional empowered female character.

You can’t fucking win with some people. POE and TTON and Tyranny were too florid, too wordy, too pretentious... now Kingmaker is too unserious.

ItsChon, humor me here: what would you consider good CRPG writing?

Andhaira don’t know if anyone’s answered this, but yes Eldritch Knight is in as a prestige class. And while I have no idea how Magi play in p&p Pathfinder, spell combat and spellstrike are both pretty useful so far.

Israfael

Arcane
owlcat turnbased dungeon crawler aka ToEE when? (Minus the nigger ork cucking u sjw part(
Someone asked it on the stream, they said what basically amounted to 'we don't have such plans' with a tinge of 'it'd be hard to balance / who actually wants that'.

Salvo

Arcane
Well obviously I didn't pay for this.

Between Neo-MCA, Paizo/Pathfinder in the background, the Golarion setting, and overtly SocJus developers, there was no chance this wasn't going to be a trainwreck of some kind.

Yes, yes, everything is shit, carry on.

bataille

Arcane
Some people seem not to know how to handle such incline! I'm so prepared to play this, though, holy shiet. Pumped and ready to go! 20 minutes till the download ends!

Feeling like a child in a candy store. Where oh where have such feelings gone!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the writing here is worse than Baldur’s Gate.
Are you out of your fucking mind? How can you equate this,
upload_2018-9-25_23-37-54.png

with anything in Baldur's Gate? Notice how I said IWD and BG level writing, versus just saying good writing. BG and IWD don't have "good" writing, in the sense that it's not on the level of a game like PS:T, or Underrail. That doesn't change the fact that the writing in these games creates an immersive setting with endearing characters and quests
prologue1.jpg
(taken from Lilura's blog lol)
What in gods name is wrong with the opening scene of Icewind Dale? People on the Codex are really so fucking delusional that they praise games like FO1 & 2 for their writing while simultaenously shitting on BG and IWD.
BG didn’t take itself too seriously either and believe me, the selling point for that series was never the writing
Again, what the fuck are you talking about? You're right, BG didn't take itself too seriously. That doesn't mean it had dogshit writing like this game seems to have. As for IWD, the writing was actually pretty damn good despite its linearity.
Kingmaker’s writing is really more than decent. I’m not sure what people think is so awful aside from the guys who get triggered by the occasional empowered female character.
:prosper:
Do I really have to provide more examples of the absolutely god awful writing in this game? Why are you shilling it so hard.
POE and TTON and Tyranny were too florid, too wordy, too pretentious... now Kingmaker is too unserious.
It's not too unserious, it's too fucking shit.
:rage:

Some thoughts after a couple of hours: Stats for some creatures are way overtuned, on average you have like 25% chance to hit a random ass boar (on challenging difficulty), which is just bullshit, loading screens are annoying in the same way they were in first PoE, world map movement restrictions are just bizarre, why didn't they make it similar to deadfire or M&B is beyond me. Aside from that the game seems to be alright so far, i'll reserve my judgement till I get to the meaty stuff (kingdom management and all that jazz). It's channeling IE experience fairly well though.

The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and she just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."

From your example I actually have no idea how bad that writing may or may not be. There is no context. I am not saying you are wrong, but somebody saying they are an undead creature and will talk to you about the details of it later does not to me say much of anythingg. Who else was in the room? What were you talking about? Why was she dismissive? Why did she mention it at all?

I think its clear the games writing is not novel worthy nor is it trying to be a RPG novel, but your example is almost totally meaningless since its devoid of any context, and its just an approximation anyway, as you said you are paraphrasing. I have no way to judge what you are talking about except I am just supposed to accept that being told (in a roundabout and non specific manner) that somebody is undead and that they will talk to you about it later is some sort of obvious and universally understood quality marker as it relates writing.

Salvo

Arcane

From your example I actually have no idea how bad that writing may or may not be. There is no context. I am not saying you are wrong, but somebody saying they are an undead creature and will talk to you about the details of it later does not to me say much of anythingg. Who else was in the room? What were you talking about? Why was she dismissive? Why did she mention it at all?

I think its clear the games writing is not novel worthy nor is it trying to be a RPG novel, but your example is almost totally meaningless since its devoid of any context, and its just an approximation anyway, as you said you are paraphrasing. I have no way to judge what you are talking about except I am just supposed to accept that being told (in a roundabout and non specific manner) that somebody is undead and that they will talk to you about it later is some sort of obvious and universally understood quality marker as it relates writing.

She appears unscathed after walking through a cluster of traps designed to hurt the living. When you ask how, she claims she's undead and that there's no time to explain since you're under attack. Wasn't THAT bad looking to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom