Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aight apparently you are supposed to go to Ancient Tomb, then Pine something and only then to Old Sycamore. In a lot of ways this game frustrates me even more than PoE 1, but it's also much better in other aspects. I wish people would fucking playtest their games though.

the nymph tells you to go to place X and find out where the hut is because the fog is too thick and then you go there and find out and then go to that place

how is this frustrating?

Goblino

Savant
Seems promising so far. Gameplay is smooth when it gets going, but load times are crazy. Haven't gone past the beginning level yet, just got the undead lady. The writing isn't particularly bad. It's silly and straightforward, but that's a plus in my book. I prefer when rpgs jump into the gameplay right away, then try to get me invested later. This one wastes no time getting started and I think that's for the best. Even in the opening, the combat can be quick and brutal. with the stats set to normal, the first arrow launched at your character can turn them into a meatsplosion and force a reload.

Aight apparently you are supposed to go to Ancient Tomb, then Pine something and only then to Old Sycamore. In a lot of ways this game frustrates me even more than PoE 1, but it's also much better in other aspects. I wish people would fucking playtest their games though.

the nymph tells you to go to place X and find out where the hut is because the fog is too thick and then you go there and find out and then go to that place

how is this frustrating?

I visited that place prior, or at least it said so on my map marker, besides the quest was cleared as complete. I don't necessarily mind railroading, but what's the point of illusion of freedom, especially if you are being punished for exploring.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and she just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."
Can you quote that text?

Just for these that didn't pirate that game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Re-rolled a mage and can't even get past the tutorial now. The three guys in the library gibs us with their crossbows...

lol.

Cael

Arcane
Any other lack of context is lacking because there essentially is no relevant context beyond that, which is why it's awful. There is absolutely no reason for her to tell you, let alone in such a way, then and there. The "reason" given is that there are traps somewhere that does not affect her, but this is in no way relevant, since they are easily discovered by one mandatory party member, and then as easily removed by another mandatory party member.

This may be a reading comprehension issue.
There's about a million better ways to handle that other than blurting out "I'm undead. Let's go." in the way it's done.

Ways like? Do explain.
"I am good at my job." Which then allows you to press her further, change the topic or for her to do so, or a segue to another, more pressing concern (e.g., a bunch of enemies burst through another door). That is just off the top of my head.

The question is: After "I'm undead. Let's go!" is there an option to say, "Die, undead bitch!!!"?

Terrible explanation.
What job is that which makes her immune to poisonous gas which killed all other people? Doesn't make any sense...

It's like seing someone shot with a gun in heart at close range. "I am good at my job" won't exlain why the person shot isn't harmed. "I have bulletproof vest" is good enough explanation (which is equal to I am unded in fantasy terms), even if character doesn't get into details why was he wearing bulletproff vest at the moment..
Hence the option for you to probe further. Or respect that she is obviously trying to avoid the question and ask something else instead.

"I am undead" in fantasy terms, especially DnD type fantasy, means planting a bullseye on your chest. Anyone who says that had better be expecting to be assaulted almost immediately or have the other guy run screaming into the night.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
It's in her best interest to tell you she's undead, otherwise you'd gib her with the first healing spell you cast on her.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is sneak attack bugged? They just walk to me in combat and hit BAM! Sneak attack. Sneak is supposed to sneaky, not upfront assault.
Trying to spellcasting as sorccerer at the beggining is counter prodcutive, as spells have less hit chance than crossbow hit. Lame.
Jesus christ, why are the archers hitting me through a wall? I wanted to use some positioning, btu it's irrelevant as they just pierce through a wall.
:retarded:

PrettyDeadman

Is sneak attack bugged? They just walk to me in combat and hit BAM! Sneak attack. Sneak is supposed to sneaky, not upfront assault.
Sneak attack encompasses other attacks on unsuspecting / distracted opponent other than attacks from stealth like flanking attacks, attacks on CCed enemies and etc. Catching opponent when he is unable to defend himself from mechanical point of view means attacking him in situation when he loses Dexterity bonus to AC.

*Sneak attack

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

See Precision Damage & Critical Hits FAQ for more information.

Combat Modifiers in the Combat chapter outlines the main conditions that deny Dexterity bonus to AC:

• Attacker is invisible (attacker gains +2 to attack)
  • Target is blinded (target suffers -2 to AC)
  • Target is cowering, such as from a fear spell (-2 to AC)
  • Target is flat-footed because he has not taken his turn yet in this combat
  • D&D 3.5 only, not Pathfinder: Target is grappling someone other than the attacker
  • Target is helpless, e.g.: unconscious, sleeping, paralyzed, bound (-4 to AC against melee, and Dex modifier counts as -5)
  • Target is pinned (-4 to AC against melee)
  • Target is stunned (-2 to AC)
Other circumstances in which a creature loses its Dexterity bonus to AC:

You don't lose Dexterity to AC just for being prone or casting a spell. In D&D 3.5, your target is denied Dexterity to AC if grappled by someone other than yourself, but this no longer occurs in Pathfinder unless the target is also pinned.

Cael

Arcane
It's in her best interest to tell you she's undead, otherwise you'd gib her with the first healing spell you cast on her.
Only if she joins your party. If that is the case, she may trust you enough to reveal that she is undead.

You do not say "I am undead" to a total stranger as the first thing out of your mouth (or even close to that). It is bad writing. Perhaps the writer had a block or derped, but it is still bad writing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It also works on flat footed enemies, which are all that lost initiative in first round of combat. Also they can sneak attack you if you are flanked which in this game means you are already in melee with someone else and a second attacker joins that fight.

Cael

Arcane
Trying to spellcasting as sorccerer at the beggining is counter prodcutive, as spells have less hit chance than crossbow hit. Lame.
Jesus christ, why are the archers hitting me through a wall? I wanted to use some positioning, btu it's irrelevant as they just pierce through a wall.
:retarded:
If you are flatfooted (i.e., haven't moved yet that combat), you can be sneak attacked. And if he is right next to you, it gets worse: Sneak attack once as a surprise round before combat starts, and then if he wins initiative, full round of sneak attacks before you can move.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only if she joins your party. If that is the case, she may trust you enough to reveal that she is undead.

You do not say "I am undead" to a total stranger as the first thing out of your mouth (or even close to that). It is bad writing. Perhaps the writer had a block or derped, but it is still bad writing.
You are not a total stranger, you were both at the gathering that evening, one assumes you at least noticed each other. So you are obviously more an ally than an assassin.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Some elf girl: "I'm undead."

Fighter: "I don't give a shit."

Wizard: "Fascinating."

Rogue: "Don't avoid the subject, we're still fucking by Act 2 right?"

Bard: "I shall sing you a dirge for the ages."

Cleric: "I'm going to pretend I went deaf and we'll never speak of this again."

Ranger: "Let me check my favoured enemy list."

Paladin:
47d0ddecfa4101341bedc331fefe-were-the-crusades-an-act-of-self-defense.jpg
Plane Tickets, Bitch.

Polanski

Scholar
I do not seem to receive the feats from my sorcerer bloodline at level 1. Anyone knows if this is a confirmed bug?

I really need that augment summoning to make my abyssal summoner sorcerer work...

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Owlcat had a quarter of the Kickstarter funding than Obsidian did with Pillars but is more of an IE successor? And Obsidian has employees that worked on the IE games. And this is more fun. I don't even...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you quote that text?

Here, it's timestamped:

I think it fits the general tone of the writing and this is much ado about nothing, as is the whole drama around the writing right now, coming from "critics" who have played for a couple of hours and are questioning people for "not having played". :)

"I am undead" in fantasy terms, especially DnD type fantasy, means planting a bullseye on your chest.
You just have narrow imagination. This is your friendly shopkeeper Lich for tonight.
The first thing I said after her response, as I was watching it together with someone, was "Alright, the Evangeline Lilly-deadringer is an elven litch. Cool."

Last edited:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
except I turned off that being encumbered lowers your move speed. Nobody has time to watch my characters move slowly between combats, in PnP moving between places takes as long as Saying "you moved to your destination" even if you are slowed down by stuff.
I think it only effects world map travel times, no?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I do not seem to receive the feats from my sorcerer bloodline at level 1. Anyone knows if this is a confirmed bug?
I really need that augment summoning to make my abyssal summoner sorcerer work...
Worked fine for my undead bloodline half-elf sorc, also got augmented summoning.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'll say this in favor of the game: It doesn't pull any punches. Starting as an Ecclesiarch (I think that was it, the Cleric Archetype) is painful on Hard, as you meet up with a Bard and a Sorcerer right away, followed by an Inquisitor, going up against melee/ranged enemies that just tear you apart. This is more frustrating than it needs to be, partially because the game doesn't give you any information on how things are supposed to be used/played, and the UI is bloated and terrible, but apart from that and the extreme "swingyness" of early-game combat (arguably a fundamental issue of D&D/PF), it is refreshing that the game really does shit all over me in a most unapologetic fashion.
The writing so far really is awful. I almost burst out laughing at the awfulness of it all when you meet the inquisitor lady during the intro events and she just blurts out what amounts to "I'm undead. I'll tell you later."
Can you quote that text?

When I get home tonight I'll see if I've got a save near that section, but don't hold your breath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom