Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Wut about items? Boring crap like PoE or they are nice and interesting?
No , i am not "fabulously optimistic" i am playing it right now and it's that good.As for items its as good as it goes with pathfinder. Seriously everything , i mean it, everything is pure incline.

It's not that I don't believe you... but I remember the PoE2 thread on release and it was full of people saying the same things.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Just got Avelloned by 2 wolves. Got to love that random 20 crit!

I think I have to restart. My mage is on a 1 million missing streak now - MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS hit for 2 damage MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS 16 damage received from normal attack DEATH

And my DPSer got kidnapped. Please game, some restraint. I'm old and feeble :)

Also that, I roled a Wizard and the successful rate for a ranged spell to hit is pitiful, I had to make him into a support because he was missing everything and when I did hit someone, I think I heard the enemies laugh, 2-3 damage really?

Stuff I'm interested in:

1) How linear is the game?
2) How small are its areas?
3) Are there segments of the game that feel like they're "abridged", like say in Storm of Zehir where you can visit a big city but only get to see a small portion of it?
4) Do any of the above become more true later in the game, particularly after the beta content?

Basically I'm really curious to know how well they tackled having to implement a seven chapter tabletop adventure in a single game.
why don't you play and find out?

It is almost as if you have no interest in actually playing rpgs. Oh wait.

Codex Year of the Donut
My barbarian one shot the boss at the temple with a critical right as she engaged it.

The fort management stuff is actually pretty in depth by the way. Not sure how many of you have gotten to it yet. It has a lot of micromanagement but there's an option to autopilot it for people who don't care about it.

Suicidal

Arcane
You guys are really making me want to play this right now. It's been a while since I've played an actually challenging modern RPG that's not an indie japanese dungeon crawler.

Codex Year of the Donut
You guys are really making me want to play this right now. It's been a while since I've played an actually challenging RPG that's not an indie japanese dungeon crawler.
It's not really challenging, just tedious. Get used to reloading because enemies got a few good dicerolls and completely steamrolled your entire party in 1 round.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why can enemies that are asleep have the ability to dodge, there's nothing like seeing 5 members of my party missing again and again the same target and when the enemies wake up, they hit on their first try. The dumbest thing I have seen in a long time:retarded:

What happened to the coup de grace mechanic from older editions anyway. Same with the healing during rest, I thought once I got a cleric I'd be able to cut down on rest time much more but all it does is restore spells, which are then wasted on healing after the camp is broken up.

Didn't you hear?

Heal on rest in Bg2 is decline, real RPGs waste your time with casting memorized Cure Light Wounds.
Wat, you have to manually cast them? :lol:
Remember when Curse of the Azure Bonds fixed this back in 1989, almost thirty years ago?

Codex Year of the Donut
Why can enemies that are asleep have the ability to dodge, there's nothing like seeing 5 members of my party missing again and again the same target and when the enemies wake up, they hit on their first try. The dumbest thing I have seen in a long time:retarded:

What happened to the coup de grace mechanic from older editions anyway. Same with the healing during rest, I thought once I got a cleric I'd be able to cut down on rest time much more but all it does is restore spells, which are then wasted on healing after the camp is broken up.

Didn't you hear?

Heal on rest in Bg2 is decline, real RPGs waste your time with casting memorized Cure Light Wounds.
No, they're just retarded and missed the big "use healing abilities" toggle on the camp screen.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The most tedious is parhfinder resting. Want to rest to heal up? Well, fuck you, dice rolls say no.

Also magic users are so powerful in D&D.. except they need to survive long enough. Dear gods, my sorcerer refuses to do just that :(

Sentinel

Arcane

Didn't you hear?

No, they're just retarded and missed the big "use healing abilities" toggle on the camp screen.
it's toggled on by default, you can't miss it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
does combat maneuver actually do anything in this game? I'm not seeing any trip or disarm commands.
& is it possible to deal nonlethal damage? I wanted to bring someone back alive for a quest but he just dies.

I know trip and disarm can be taken as combat tricks. Seen them listed and have gotten tripped. Here’s one of the devs talking about implementation last year:

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?393-Combat-Maneuvers-in-Pathfinder-Kingmaker

Just got Avelloned by 2 wolves. Got to love that random 20 crit!

I think I have to restart. My mage is on a 1 million missing streak now - MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS hit for 2 damage MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS 16 damage received from normal attack DEATH

And my DPSer got kidnapped. Please game, some restraint. I'm old and feeble :)

Also that, I roled a Wizard and the successful rate for a ranged spell to hit is pitiful, I had to make him into a support because he was missing everything and when I did hit someone, I think I heard the enemies laugh, 2-3 damage really?

What difficulty are you playing on? Maybe take Spell Focus in illusion to get an edge beating will saves so you can do crowd control?

Alright, so I played through what I suppose was tutorial. All in all, I liked where this was going before I had to stop playing. Played on what I assume were core rules (custom, everything set to normal), made it in one try without reloads with a dex based magus. Did not even use spells that much, mostly just good old select all and left click, though I did set the casters to auto cast daze. There are some minor things that could be better, and I still have to get used to interface. Writing so far does not bother me in the slightest, and I liked the skill checks and how the party is determined in the end.

But there's one big problem. Well, two problems, I seem to be also missing many sound effects and have no music whatsoever. But the bigger problem is I can't load any save. There's a critical bug in the linux version that makes loading a game impossible. They even pulled it from GOG until they patch it up. Ugh, I hope when they do they'll provide a simple patch and not force me to waste another day just downloading it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You know, dealing with regular old kobold shamans and seeing how they can cast magic missile with impunity while provoking AoOs from 4 of my dudes makes me dread fighting actual spellcasters later in the game. I mean, fuck, optimizing your enemy design is one thing but this seems a bit excessive.

Look at this:
SbgJjra.jpg

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Impressions so far:

1) Atrocious dialogue. Really bad writing. The only time I won't feel retarded reading that dialogue if I was reading it to my year & 1/5 toddler, even then I would be embarrassed if anyone hears me saying the lines in this game.

2) The stupid gnomes voice and the strong naked barbarian girl makes me develop a seething hatred for rpgs in general and DnD specifically.

3) Not a fan of the WoW cartoon graphics. It is like a mishmash of NWN 2 graphics with WoW art style. Absolute catastrophe

4)Absolute stupid beginning. go kill the bandits and we will give you this land hero!!!11!! They keep screaming YOU ARE A HERO!!11!! as if they were striking your head with a baton. I am not a fan of PoE pretentious writing. But I would take PoEs diarrhea in a migrant camp beginning over this drivel.

5) RNG and dice rolls MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS the most arbitrary game mechanics ever created that should have been left to die.

6) Nice variety in Classes/Races/Bloodlines. Probably the best part of the game is the character creator.

Sentinel

Arcane
Impressions so far:

1) Atrocious dialogue. Really bad writing. The only time I won't feel retarded reading that dialogue if I was reading it to my year & 1/5 toddler, even then I would be embarrassed if anyone hears me saying the lines in this game.

2) The stupid gnomes voice and the strong naked barbarian girl makes me develop a seething hatred for rpgs in general and DnD specifically.

3) Not a fan of the WoW cartoon graphics. It is like a mishmash of NWN 2 graphics with WoW art style. Absolute catastrophe

4)Absolute stupid beginning. go kill the bandits and we will give you this land hero!!!11!! They keep screaming YOU ARE A HERO!!11!! as if they were striking your head with a baton. I am not a fan of PoE pretentious writing. But I would take PoEs diarrhea in a migrant camp beginning over this drivel.

5) RNG and dice rolls MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS the most arbitrary game mechanics ever created that should have been left to die.

6) Nice variety in Classes/Races/Bloodlines. Probably the best part of the game is the character creator.
trying too hard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom