Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Well, at least all this dungeon crawling and slamming my head against a wall of kobolds was worth it:
9KS6cFg.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
Is there any affect of playing an evil alignment aside from not being able to be or have any paladins in the party? Do any quests change, or you get special quests?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I got what I needed. Going to wait till it's patched up... or I finally finish PoE. Thanks to those few reminded me why I don't buy games on day one. Since I'm waiting to finish PoE: 1 and 2, I think this will be a next year purchase, maybe.

By the way, I can't believe the dialogue sucked. Wasn't Avellone supposed to write everything? Dude's stuff is top-shelf. What the hell!?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there any affect of playing an evil alignment aside from not being able to be or have any paladins in the party? Do any quests change, or you get special quests?

Yeah, the kingdom building aspect changes dramatically depending on your alignment, which means the game ends up having not just different quests, or different quest solutions, but even different settlements.

From the Reddit AMA the other day:

ChrisAvellone: Many, and all alignments are taken into consideration (evil, chaotic). Also, because there's repercussions in the Kingdom Building and Capital City building as well, that's another way consequences play out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/9he3e9/pathfinder_kingmaker_crpg_ama_this_friday/

Thonius

Arcane
Codex: Oh lol new gamess are ez trash.
Codex also: Oh no this russian game is so hard it's trash...
Anyhow decision not to include console for speed/xp for test builds is weird.... I had to instal cheat engine and shit to test some builds and synergy's.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Kill the staglord and start to run my kingdom
Do you have to kill Bear Treant at temple of Elk to kill Staglord and proceed with plot?

please say no.

Heh, Jaedar, it seems you're not alone
The fireball casting kobold is pretty hard too for my level 3 party.

Guess you really need to vacuum maps for xp via kills and quests (but mostly kills because quests seem to provide very little xp comparatively)

Dodo1610

Arcane
I think it's great for what it is: Their first game made by 30 Russians and partialy crowdfunded. It is definitely much closer to Baldurs Gate then anything Obsidian has made with their 15 years of RPG expierenence. I really hope that Kingmaker makes enough money so we can see what these Owlcats are truely cabable of. For now there is a lot of bugfixing and polishing to do for them.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Codex: Oh lol new gamess are ez trash.
Codex also: Oh no this russian game is so hard it's trash...
Anyhow decision not to include console for speed/xp for test builds is weird.... I had to instal cheat engine and shit to test some builds and synergy's.
No one is saying the game is trash because it's so hard. Many people who say it's "hard" are playing on "hard" difficulty anyway. Coincidence? I think not! If it's trash it's because it has really bad writing, seems to be tedious (low movement speed, possibly grinding required) and of curse because it is RTwP instead of turn based.
The starting area is actually very easy on "challenging", I assume the game gets significantly more difficult once you finish the "tutorial" area.

Yep - I haven't removed it from inventory, runs fine on a few years old rig so far. Still not sure what to think of the game itself. The smart thing to do would be to wait a few weeks at least for a patch or two before playing (and buying) I guess...

Edit: person who said recruitable NPC are poorly made is mistaken. Most are actually reasonably well rolled. Not perfectly but better than many characters in BG(2) were. The gnome sorcerer has 20 cha, 16 con, 14 dex for example. Looks very reasonable to me. The cleric with 18wis, 16con and 14str isn't horrible either.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bought it because I'm too fucking thirsty for some sort of decent RPG to play.

The beginning reminds me eerily of Neverwinter Nights... So I'm probably going to regret this, aren't I? :D

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Challenging is challenging enough so far. Had to restart quite a few fights, though thinking and using talents and potions does tend to solve any problems. Game feels open and full of possibility, with my choices cutting off some and adding others. Impressed so far.

Refreshing to see a game where difficult difficulty levels are actually, gasp, difficult.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Edit: person who said recruitable NPC are poorly made is mistaken. Most are actually reasonably well rolled. Not perfectly but better than many characters in BG(2) were. The gnome sorcerer has 20 cha, 16 con, 14 dex for example. Looks very reasonable to me.

Valerie seems to be the only odd one, the rest is rolled like your average player character with 14-16 on average. They didn't do dump stats, of course.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It reminded me of NWN too. I laughed at the moment of the attack during the night which would of course serve as combat tutorial.

BTW, important question - what difficulty setting should I use?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Edit: person who said recruitable NPC are poorly made is mistaken. Most are actually reasonably well rolled. Not perfectly but better than many characters in BG(2) were. The gnome sorcerer has 20 cha, 16 con, 14 dex for example. Looks very reasonable to me.

Valerie seems to be the only odd one, the rest is rolled like your average player character with 14-16 on average. They didn't do dump stats, of course.
You can't go below natural 7 anyway during char creation so dumping stats is quite limited anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom