Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kevin Saunders has joined Nexon to head a new RPG studio - SHUT DOWN

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.mmorpg.com/news/nexon-shutters-california-based-nebula-studio-1000045056

NEXON Shutters California-based "Nebula" Studio

45056.jpg

Sources close to the in-development game have reported via social media that NEXON Korea has indeed closed down the California-based NEXON Studio responsible for the forthcoming Nebula, a game we'll now never know much about.

We've reached out to NEXON's PR team for confirmation, but from what we understand the actual main office of NEXON West hasn't been told as of this writing either. The team behind Nebula formed last year and have been working hard on developing a prototype and passing the NEXON Greenlight process.

Then today? Poof. It's over, finito, caput.

From what we've been told about Korean companies and layoffs, they don't like having to announce such restructuring. Instead, they much rather take departments, form new companies out of them, and then close them down. This way, they can say, "Layoffs? We didn't do layoffs. We closed the studio."

How is this better? I really don't know, but it seems like semantics at best.

Once again we've reached out to NEXON for confirmation, but are you sad we'll never know more about the mysterious Nebula?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevindsaunders/detail/recent-activity/

Haydn Dalton Creative Director at Nexon 2d

The Nexon Nebula experiment has come to end. I’ve never had the luxury to explore lots of different game types before, so when a new opportunity to do so came along, I grabbed on and rolled the die. I got to work with some great people and even managed to create something interesting, unique and fun along the way. Unfortunately, this adventure has come to a close. From today, I’ll be taking some time to assess what is next for me. New opportunities welcomed.

ksaun What's up.

Last edited:

ksaun

Arcane
Developer

The Nexon Nebula experiment has come to end. I’ve never had the luxury to explore lots of different game types before, so when a new opportunity to do so came along, I grabbed on and rolled the die. I got to work with some great people and even managed to create something interesting, unique and fun along the way. Unfortunately, this adventure has come to a close. From today, I’ll be taking some time to assess what is next for me. New opportunities welcomed.

ksaun What's up.

We experimented with several ideas, and ran with one. It would have been a lower cost ($10-20) premium title. Rich and fascinating world (that we used for all/most of our game ideas), conceived by Neal Hallford and expanded upon by Adam Heine. The game had some "RPG elements," but was more in the RTS direction. The Orcs Must Die games are perhaps the closest comparisons, but it wasn't quite like those. Our prototype showed well, but ultimately Nexon decided it wasn't a good fit at this time. I'm very sorry to my team (of ~10) -- they did a great job as a new team. I don't really have more to say about it.

I'm not sure what I will do next. At least I'm able to see my kids at night again. (For the last year+, I was staying at a hotel during the work week (at my own expense) because I found the commute too taxing.) I grow weary of the difficulty I have providing financial stability to my family in this industry. I suspect it only gets harder as I grow old(er).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

He has joined a robotics/AI company called Embodied last month: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevindsaunders/

I'm currently a principal natural language processing designer at Embodied, where we're developing life-like robots to revolutionize care and wellness for humans.

I imagine in some way this is similar to his job before inXile, making communication training simulations for army? Anyway good for him!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Dude has spend years trying to comprehend McComb's story for Torment. After that experience, teaching robots to process language is a cakewalk.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Good for him, I'm always surprised how long some people hold out in the game industry, given the shit pay and work conditions. As much as I like games, I would never work in that industry.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

ksaun What's up.

We experimented with several ideas, and ran with one. It would have been a lower cost ($10-20) premium title. Rich and fascinating world (that we used for all/most of our game ideas), conceived by Neal Hallford and expanded upon by Adam Heine. The game had some "RPG elements," but was more in the RTS direction. The Orcs Must Die games are perhaps the closest comparisons, but it wasn't quite like those. Our prototype showed well, but ultimately Nexon decided it wasn't a good fit at this time. I'm very sorry to my team (of ~10) -- they did a great job as a new team. I don't really have more to say about it.

I'm not sure what I will do next. At least I'm able to see my kids at night again. (For the last year+, I was staying at a hotel during the work week (at my own expense) because I found the commute too taxing.) I grow weary of the difficulty I have providing financial stability to my family in this industry. I suspect it only gets harder as I grow old(er).

You've made the right choice. Though I hope you have some time aside for hobby projects in the evening ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom