Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

daveyd

Savant
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much mandatory combat is in the game? (e.g., 1 being Age of Decadence when not a mercenary / assassin, 10 being Icewind Dale).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Codexers SHOCKED as darth roxor announces he will IGNORE pathfinder after positive-neutral review of DUMPSTERFIRE!!!!

Local angry man believes he has seen trucks of DORITOS penetrate the roxor mansion with alarming frequency past week
Yeah, when I read that dumpsterfire review I knew his time had come. You either die an edge-lord hero or you live long enough to become a PoE fan. Anyway, he had a good run.

F.

Tigranes

Arcane
Codexers SHOCKED as darth roxor announces he will IGNORE pathfinder after positive-neutral review of DUMPSTERFIRE!!!!

Local angry man believes he has seen trucks of DORITOS penetrate the roxor mansion with alarming frequency past week
Yeah, when I read that dumpsterfire review I knew his time had come. You either die an edge-lord hero or you live long enough to become a PoE fan. Anyway, he had a good run.

F.

Choo choo

Mech

Cipher
I just got past the starting area and pretty decent so far. Combat is... a bit awkward, but I might just have to turn off the AI so it stops doing stupid shit during the more dangerous battles.
Camping stuff + an initial 3 month time limit is pretty interesting and prevents camping spamming to heal.

laclongquan

Arcane
I just got past the starting area and pretty decent so far. Combat is... a bit awkward, but I might just have to turn off the AI so it stops doing stupid shit during the more dangerous battles.
Camping stuff + an initial 3 month time limit is pretty interesting and prevents camping spamming to heal.
But of course you have to turn off the AI. Why would you play with AI on when you can manually manage your minions?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

F.
He had to, to gain his freedom back. All those expectations, the pressure, the time spent in rage, they wear out a man. The only way out was to destroy his own image by sucking Deadfire cock.

I'm sorry you felt you had to, Darth Roxor. But I understand.

:hero:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much mandatory combat is in the game? (e.g., 1 being Age of Decadence when not a mercenary / assassin, 10 being Icewind Dale).

After 3h of gameplay (past character creation) and every difficulty setting set to "normal", 1:1 damage etc.

From what I've played it looks like a solid 10. You are playing as an adventurer hired to take out the trash, so it's been a chain of locations with unavoidable battles. Starting area is a building with rooms requiring combat to pass, from there you travel (without much of a say in the matter) to another location with next two unavoidable battles.

As for other things, the bugs don't seem to be that big. Sure, menus sometimes fail to refresh as you go back/forth (especially in character creation) but you just need to click something again. And besides that i had a single exception window in main menu.

Character creation is excellent with plethora of classes, feats and abilities visualized via level progression graphs, although I imagine it can get confusing since it expands upon D&D, and overwhelming to someone who isn't even familiar with that.

Music is fine, and I found (english) voice acting actually pretty good, and I'm rather picky about shitty accents. I think they go quite well with the setting, and said setting being a really lighthearted fantasy with magic everywhere. Possibly it's because the characters are actually likable - while mostly they're nothing uniquely special compared to say, MotB or Tyranny, they are by far more lively than in D:OS2 and interesting than PoE1 snorefest. I'd say something around DA:O - a bunch of archetypical adventurers that are simply fun to listen to, although the amount of interaction with them is noticeably smaller than in all of the aforementioned games. Not all NPCs are voiced, neither is the narrator.

Visuals are quite good, and while not as detailed as D:OS2, the more blurry/cartoony touch makes the game still look decent with even closer zoom than there. However its only isometric, so you can't rotate the camera, and as such the bottom walls sometimes obscure positioning. The maps seem really small however, and that's probably my biggest issue so far.

Combat is quite fun, but nothing revolutionary. Active pause with status icons, engagement lines and down counters showing time remaining to complete given action. I wouldn't say it's noticeably better than PoE - it can still turn to shit if you let it run rampant.

Dialog choices are there, complete with text adventure segments, alignment options and skill rolls, meaning, it's still possible to have a high skill and botch it. The writing is ok, the plot seems quite generic - opens with "adventurer gathering at a noble's request" typical for p&p source books and quickly gets to "you are the chosen one (tm)" typical for cRPGs. A bit disappointing.

There was also a simple puzzle in the first area.

Camping mechanics are more in-depth than in most other games, with assignable tasks like hunting or granting temporary buffs through cooking or equipment maintenance.

Last edited:

jerfdr

Educated

From what I've played it looks like a solid 10. You are playing as an adventurer hired to take out the trash, so it's been a chain of locations with unavoidable battles. Starting area is a building with rooms requiring combat to pass, from there you travel (without much of a say in the matter) to another location with next two unavoidable battles.

Quite a few of the fights later on are avoidable though, if you have high Persuasion and you pick correct dialogue options.

For many, this title is riddled with defects, the save game system being especially broken on Linux, Mac and Windows. (Although I'd just noticed this morning there was a new Linux version released) The disconcerting thing throughout all of this is that Owlcat has maintained little or no visibility with the user community, with no plans of patch for the time being, which this title damned well needs at this point in time. It is a mess.

Zeriel

Arcane
eh, nobody expects a game to be good on the first day anyway

just waiting for the enhanced edition to see how good it really is

It's actually pretty good. I'd say it kind of reminds me of Temple of Elemental Evil, real-time aside: the D&D stuff is fun and puts it head and shoulders above Pillars of Bland, the story isn't bad but it's not super compelling either, and it has a huge focus on exploring wilderness areas, kind of feels like someone decided to make an entire game out of the "exploring random forest areas in BG1" thing. My only real gripe so far aside from RTWP is that the movement speed is retardedly slow, even when you are completely unburdened. My overall impression is, "How did Obsidian fuck up so hard? This is the sort of game we wanted from those Kickstarters."

Oh yeah, I forgot. Voice acting was so bad I had to turn off voices entirely. Once I did that the story got a lot better, the writing varies from decent to strong, its just the VA casting is so incredibly bad.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Eh, I don't care about VA anyway. So far, from the feedback I've seen on the codex, seems like a rough gem. Anyway, still too much other stuff to play right now, but this looks promising

jerfdr

Educated

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I have not played much, couple hours but its okay, not perfect but hey. I really get the overall feeling people have, this is the blueprint of what pillars of faggotry and Divinity should have aimed.

Gecos

Learned
Playing unfair mode aka "impossible mode" unless you use save scumming like hell. Looks good so far - pretty much the toughest RPG difficulty wise I've ever played. It's honestly a bit over the top - you need also luck almost every time to survive even with best practice tactics.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I really don't understand all the complaint about difficulty. It's not an easy game, but I had no trouble at all so far. That wolf encounter people was bitching about and the devs said were gonna nerf took me about one reload to beat it. I'm definitely not gonna update the game if they start nerfing shit.

Thonius

Arcane
I really don't understand all the complaint about difficulty. It's not an easy game, but I had no trouble at all so far. That wolf encounter people was bitching about and the devs said were gonna nerf took me about one reload to beat it. I'm definitely not gonna update the game if they start nerfing shit.
Why? If you can just adjust it higher?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom