Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
I've been reading the steam discussions and I can not say this often enough, the developers really fucked up by not adding a "core rules" difficulty. That's my main gripe with this game, and the biggest con so far.
you can't move a slider a little?

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I've been reading the steam discussions and I can not say this often enough, the developers really fucked up by not adding a "core rules" difficulty. That's my main gripe with this game, and the biggest con so far.

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP game so I don't know if that's true.

Sentinel

Arcane

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP game so I don't know if that's true.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I think it's to make up for the terrible AI, they just jacked the stats up instead.

I wonder if it's a Russian thing? Steam comments point out it was like this in the Beta and the devs refused to change it. I recall Jeff Vogel mentioning that russian customers were the most vocal in demanding his games be more difficult.

In any case, it's not the end of the world but it seem the NPC writers didn't get the memo. Oh, we'll make this character with bad stats, it's part of her backstory.... And then fight the min/maxed super goblins from soviet gulags.

Elex

Arbiter

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP so I don't know if that's true.
I suppose that simply the game don't follow 1:1 the kingmaker module. Still the harder part for people is when the monster and mechanics are RAW like in pathfinder. see monster resistance/immunities or the spells that need touch/to hit (and this is that need knowledge of the game).
monster with a lot of HP/armor are never a real problem.

Thonius

Arcane
I think it's to make up for the terrible AI, they just jacked the stats up instead.

I wonder if it's a Russian thing? Steam comments point out it was like this in the Beta and the devs refused to change it. I recall Jeff Vogel mentioning that russian customers were the most vocal in demanding his games be more difficult.

In any case, it's not the end of the world but it seem the NPC writers didn't get the memo. Oh, we'll make this character with bad stats, it's part of her backstory.... And then fight the min/maxed super goblins from soviet gulags.
What do you mean Amiri? Just enlarge her! She will wreck the shit!

Xeon

Augur
I thought Core Rules meant enemies will do full damage but without any increases so I thought it was the challenging difficulty renamed or something. Didn't think it meant following the P&P rules or something.

Since Amiri is cannon, isn't her stats from the P&P ones?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay I like this bard her VA isn't thoroughly irritating and she's one of the better characters, but come on GTFO out of my party it's not hard to pass my persuade/perceptions checks and otherwise you're merely a really shitty crossbow user

Shadenuat

Arcane
I've panicked for a while when I saw the kingdom management part for the first time but now I've put a couple of hours more into the game and I can say that the management part while not great it's miles above the PoE stronghold stuff. In fact, it has potential to be fun
If only LOADING SCREENS WOULD NOT TAKE FUN AWAY

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw in the long run I'd say best class to choose for first playthrough is an Evoker/Transmuter or Sorcerer. Game has no arcane single class powerhouses, they're all either dual or gishes, Jubilost is Alchemist so gg.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP so I don't know if that's true.
I suppose that simply the game don't follow 1:1 the kingmaker module. Still the harder part for people is when the monster and mechanics are RAW like in pathfinder. see monster resistance/immunities or the spells that need touch/to hit (and this is that need knowledge of the game).
monster with a lot of HP/armor are never a real problem.

I'm not having any trouble at the moment playing on custom true normal, that's not the point. The problem lies in the fact that they didn't add the core rules difficulty for those who want to play the game as it was meant to be played. Bloating the enemies' stats should be done for higher difficulties but you should always have the core rules to compare it to. It's a retarded design decision not to have the core rules for those who want it, even if it would be easy. Just put it next to story mode if you have to ffs.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What do you mean Amiri? Just enlarge her! She will wreck the shit!

More like Valerie "We gave her 15 charisma because backstory! What do you mean that's a dump stat for fighters? BACKSTORY!!"

Game has no arcane single class powerhouses

The fighters are all pretty bad too, but here have three clerics.

Sentinel

Arcane
I just want the fucking monsters to have the same attributes, stats and XP rewards as the core rules.

Is that too much to ask for? Fuck sake. Why am I fighting these guys with ridiculous AC at level 4 that only give 50 EXP.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just want the fucking monsters to have the same attributes, stats and XP rewards as the core rules.

Is that too much to ask for? Fuck sake. Why am I fighting these guys with ridiculous AC at level 4 that only give 50 EXP.
that's what happens when a game is designed around savescumming.

Cross

Arcane
Might want to wait until Kingmaker surpasses Deadfire's concurrent players to say a thing like this.
D:OS' concurrent players peak is far lower than PoE's, but we all know which game sold better. Same situation here, except I suspect that the gap in sales between these two will end up being even bigger. Deadfire flopped, only generating a brief spike in concurrent players because every website had their review ready on release day. Pathfinder is the opposite: just like D:OS it had 0 reviews on release day, so it can't generate a spike, but it's consistently selling well.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I will just leave this here ... :)

D3F85BD767C38669FF0F6E36CDC782E67C40BFF2

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
If only LOADING SCREENS WOULD NOT TAKE FUN AWAY

I think SSD is soon to be mandatory for gaming pc. My load times are like 20 seconds. I imagine it would be horrible on normal HD.
It's shit even with a SSD. Travel for 5 seconds, 20 second loading screen to fight 2 bandits that you kill in 1 second, 20 second loading screen to leave. Woops, new kingdom event, another loading screen to go manage that...

Syme

Arbiter
Btw in the long run I'd say best class to choose for first playthrough is an Evoker/Transmuter or Sorcerer. Game has no arcane single class powerhouses, they're all either dual or gishes, Jubilost is Alchemist so gg.

I mean there's nothing preventing you from choosing different classes for your companions once they level up. It's not ideal in most cases, but I kinda like the idea of turning my goth bitch the undead inquisitor into a druid to fuck with her to round out my party with a full divine caster that isn't a depressed dwarf or a faggot.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So what are the current Legitimate Bugs That Aren't Dumb Things Only Retards Encounter? The Valerie quest is the only one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom