Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Gerrard

Arcane
It's Wasteland 3 obviously.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Meanwhile Dying Light EE is still $60/50€ base price (the price in Potato was lowered literally 2 days ago, and it's still more expensive than W3, not counting the other DLC).
:keepmyjewgold:

It's on sale currently

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Meanwhile Dying Light EE is still $60/50€ base price (the price in Potato was lowered literally 2 days ago, and it's still more expensive than W3, not counting the other DLC).
:keepmyjewgold:

steam has increasingly started doing that shit a lot over the years. There are games that have been on the market for over 7 years that they are still trying to charge $60 for. God bless pirates, is all i can say. That, and cd key resale websites like G2A where the prices are significantly fairer.

ur dad

Literate
"...the narrative as a gameplay mechanic"

Oh god, no. The story in the first game sucked ass and I dont believe for a second the story in this one is gonna be good enough to justify "narrative as a gameplay mechanic".
I just wanna drop-kick homosexuals and infidels off rooftops, inshallah.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
steam has increasingly started doing that shit a lot over the years. There are games that have been on the market for over 7 years that they are still trying to charge $60 for. God bless pirates, is all i can say. That, and cd key resale websites like G2A where the prices are significantly fairer.
Publishers set the price, not Valve.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"...the narrative as a gameplay mechanic"

Oh god, no. The story in the first game sucked ass and I dont believe for a second the story in this one is gonna be good enough to justify "narrative as a gameplay mechanic".
I just wanna drop-kick homosexuals and infidels off rooftops, inshallah.

As long as you don't rape them anything goes according to Avellone.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
"Binary choices suck, and Techland is moving away from that. To prove our point, look at this example where you can choose between helping the Peacekeepers or the Smugglers."

ok

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This will be presented at Square Enix's E3 conference.

Press things before that:

"Dying Light 2 Interview with the Lead Game Designer on the Modern Dark Ages setting, RPG Elements": https://wccftech.com/dying-light-2-...on-the-modern-dark-ages-setting-rpg-elements/

Dying Light 2 Interview with the Lead Game Designer on the Modern Dark Ages setting, RPG Elements

Dying Light 2 might not be at the very top of your average gamer’s most anticipated lists, but it’s probably not far off either. After delivering two popular Dead Island games, Polish studio Techland garnered even greater success with the first Dying Light, released in early 2015 with Warner Bros. Interactive on publishing duties.

The game has been played by over 16 million unique players and there’s a particularly active community to this day, well over four years the original launch. As CTO Pawel Rohleder told Dave in the recent tech-oriented interview we published, the developers are continually surprised by how much fans are playing to this day.

It could perhaps be enough to simply take that established framework and make it bigger and better. But that’s not what the developers have in mind, as they have brought on esteemed game designer and writer Chris Avellone to make this a bona fide action RPG with proper choices & consequences and an enticing new ‘Modern Dark Ages’ setting.

We had the pleasure to chat with Techland’s Lead Game Designer Tymon Smektala to discuss specifically the new setting and the additional RPG elements that will make this sequel stand out from its predecessor. Look forward to our E3 2019 coverage for more information and gameplay footage on Dying Light 2.

Can you talk about the Modern Dark Ages setting, how it came to be and what makes it unique?

Dying Light 2 started a long time ago, but we typically spend a lot in the concept phase, trying to make sure that whatever we decide to move forward with is well thought-out. We had defined the meaning of the game, the design foundations, the dominant emotions we want to evoke, the lore and world setting, but we still felt that we needed something unique that would make the game really stand out. Modern Dark Ages was a concept that came to us during that stage – we discovered that juxtaposing medieval behaviors, rules and laws with a modern setting really serves as a wake-up call for us as humans. As humanity, we’ve been there (during the real Dark Ages), we’ve lost our minds for some time, we started the most cruel wars, we stopped believing in reason. When you see all of those things in the context of a modern city it makes you go “ah, so if we’re not careful with what we have we can really revert to the worst version of us”. But this is not only a narrative tool, it’s also a north star we’re using in a lot of other areas of the project. When we design locations, we take modern buildings and add post-apocalyptic elements to them so they start looking like medieval fortresses. When you look at our weapons they’re medieval by definition – but they’re made from modern materials.

How many factions are there in the game? Is there something like a reputation system in place?

So far we’ve revealed the two most prominent ones – the Scavengers and the Peacekeepers. Both are a force to be reckoned with, you could say they basically rule the City. Both have also a different idea of how they want to survive in the future. The Peacekeepers want every Infected dead, and they try to enforce it without really taking anything else into consideration. Scavengers think they can build a safe haven for them fenced off from the Infected… and other people. You can agree with one or the other, but both have also a lot of dirty secrets that make you look at them from a completely different perspective. And that’s just the start since in the world of Dying Light 2 there are also a lot of smaller factions that try to prosper in the shadows of the rulers. This is quite a complex political setup, almost Game of Thrones-y in its feel. And no, there’s no Reputation system in the game. We don’t want you to collect points. We want you to make real, actual decisions.

The ‘World System’ will be brand new to Dying Light 2. Can you discuss it how it’s going to change this sequel?

In Dying Light 2 players get to shape the gameplay sandbox it all takes place in using various methods and systems. One is the narrative itself, with various branching choices and their significant consequences. The other is the World System you mentioned, where every action of the Player is being looked at, added, subtracted and accounted for, and as these actions pile up more and more elements start appear in the World – things like water fountains you can use to heal yourself, or specific encounters that allow you to get some rare items.

When it comes to the presentation of the story, do you favor cutscenes or seamless delivery of dialogue during gameplay in Dying Light 2?

We use cutscenes, but they’re introduced quite seamlessly – keeping players in the first person perspective. We strive for Dying Light 2 to be this immersive experience, where players see and feel everything the player character experiences.

Do you already have an idea of how long it could take on average to complete the main quest? Also, how many side missions are there in Dying Light 2?

This is the hardest question to answer in a game like this – a huge, interactive open-world sandbox filled with gameplay, quests, activities. Especially in DL2 where all of these elements combine with each other. The most sincere and safe answer is that it’s similar in length to other AAA open world games. The hook of DL2 is that it offers a lot of replayability – and each playthrough can be radically different. One of our fans played the first Dying Light for 4500 hours; I think he’ll squeeze a similar amount of time from the second.

Will there be multiple endings? If so, do you have an idea of how many variations you’re targeting?

There’s a set, countable number of “huge” endings, and an even bigger number of their variations – but again that’s not really what’s important. The important thing here is that you can shape the City to your liking, create your own version of it. This is the real outcome of the game – how the City looks after you went through your adventure. It’s especially important in co-op – when you head out with others, in other people’s worlds, you’ll see you’re playing in a different place.

From an RPG standpoint, is there anything else making Dying Light 2 unique that you’d like to point out?

The ability to see the outcome of your choices on such a grand scale. For us, an RPG is mostly about role-playing, filling the boots of the main character – and you’ll get plenty of opportunities to do just that, be it through narrative or through gameplay.

Sounds very promising. Thank you for your time!

"Prepare for Dying Light 2 at E3 2019 with an exclusive new look at its dystopian, story driven setting": https://www.gamesradar.com/dying-light-2-exclusive-concept-art-e3-2019/

fKAAs9Qecg8gMDexqn3BU9-970-80.jpg

“Players are directly responsible for shaping the world of Dying Light 2. Player choices will influence whole regions, districts, areas of The City. Dying Light 2 will often force you to make decisions on the spot, and the outcome can be unexpected. This particular scene depicts just that - how one good deed can end in destruction. This theme park, once a bustling, lively district, now sits in ruins, the oversized Octopus attraction mirroring the famous Ferris wheel in Pripyat, near Chernobyl."

"Exclusive Dying Light 2 Concept Art Teases How Your Choices Affect The World": https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-201...-art-teases-how-your-choices-affect-the-world

dl2.jpg

"This panorama of The City shows the potential effects of player decisions that will have to be made in Dying Light 2. Who you support – the survivors, regular people trying to carry on with their lives, one of the faction groups, motivated by their own agenda, or act in your own best interests – is entirely up to you, and your actions can impact all of those lives. The European ex-metropolis is a familiar city with cathedrals, parks, restaurants, shopping malls, different districts – modern, past, artistic, industrial – that reflect its rich history. From a safe distance, you can see the layers of the city: on the ground level, the threat of death, and up top, the struggle to survive. The City is a constant reminder of what used to be, what could have been, but leaves out what there is to come."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It’s been 15 years since humanity lost to the virus.

The last great human settlement exists within an unforgiving, infected world, plunged into a modern dark age. During the day, bandits, factions and starving survivors roam the streets scavenging for scraps - or someone to take them from, by violence if necessary. At night the infected roam free, evacuating their dark hideouts to prey on the living.

You are Aiden Caldwell, an infected survivor. Your exceptional agility and brutal combat skills make you a powerful ally and a valuable commodity in this dangerous world. You can achieve things no one else can. Enter places no one else dares. With your unique abilities you have the power to be an agent of change within this decaying metropolis.

The fate of the city is in your hands.

YOUR CHOICES, YOUR WORLD
You must make tough decisions and hard sacrifices as you decide the fate of a society on the brink of collapse. The effect of the choices you make will have a huge impact on entire regions of the city, uncovering new land masses and areas to explore.

EXCEPTIONAL AGILITY AND BRUTAL COMBAT
On your journey from humble beginnings to a person of great power, you have unprecedented freedom of movement across the city, seamlessly integrated with brutal first person combat.

A MODERN DARK AGE
In a desperate city, where resources and power are scarce, unstable, and trust in ruling bodies is all but eroded; humankind has reverted to a dark age. Civilization is gone but the relics are still there. This is a violent, primal & unforgiving world - and so are its inhabitants.

THE INFECTION HAS EVOLVED
The infection has evolved and become more sensitive to UV light. Society exists in the relative safety of sunlight, while the infected hide in the shadows of buildings. At night the infected roam the streets freely searching for prey, presenting opportunities for you to explore areas of the city inaccessible by day.

2-4 PLAYER CO-OP GAMEPLAY
Play the entire campaign in up to four-player co-op. Host your own games or join other players’ and see how their choices have played out differently to your own and how they have shaped their world differently to yours.

frajaq

Erudite
I'm interested in this game because I really liked the gameplay in the first one but this year's E3 Trailer for it kinda sucked ass

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just bought the first game (((on sale))) because I saw Chris Avellone was writing for the sequel. It's alright so far. A lot tougher than I first imagined since all that parkour bullshit looked overpowered. Pretty fun game so far.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Just bought the first game (((on sale))) because I saw Chris Avellone was writing for the sequel. It's alright so far. A lot tougher than I first imagined since all that parkour bullshit looked overpowered. Pretty fun game so far.

its great. I avoided it for years because like most of you i thought it was going to be retarded trash. I finally got it on sale and it ended up being my most played AAA title in a long time, i got 104 hours of it and its expansion, and at least 90 of those were fun.

soulburner

Cipher
The trailer doesn't look good, but I'm waiting to play this game - I liked the first one, and this one moving more into the RPG area and with Chris Avellone, it's a must buy. However, I do not like the idea of time running out. I hope this is resolved quickly within the game, because I refuse to play anything that forces me to rush.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom