Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
I LOVE CATS
tenor.gif

Cael

Arcane
If Roqua has any potato in his rpgcodex wallet (which is very unlikely) administration should probably confiscate them and send to Owlcats.
If he had any potatoes in his pocket, Codex admin would slurp his ass and forgive him all his trespasses.

Elex

Arbiter
I've been reading the steam discussions and I can not say this often enough, the developers really fucked up by not adding a "core rules" difficulty. That's my main gripe with this game, and the biggest con so far.
you can't move a slider a little?

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP game so I don't know if that's true.
The fuck you care about "core rules" when you dont even have a point of reference from pnp? "Phwooar I wanna feel like im getting the most authentic experience" he says into his holodeck.
So many other compromises made to translate something to videogame format but "hurr mai numbers gots to match boss"
Although true core rulea may not be meaningful a hipster authenticity slider might be
it’s a real pnp experience: the dungeon master know the players at the table he know they are the worst minmaxer the kind of people that google “op solo build pathfinder: kingmaker”

he know that the players are full murderhobo mode.

he know that the players have zero interest on dialogue and rp.

“you minmaxer your character? fine i have minmaxed my encounters”

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been reading the steam discussions and I can not say this often enough, the developers really fucked up by not adding a "core rules" difficulty. That's my main gripe with this game, and the biggest con so far.
you can't move a slider a little?

I can and I did, or so I assume I'm playing with core rules. The problem is that the game never explicitly tells you what you have to do to play with core rules. I've been reading people pointing out how enemy stats are bloated even with everything on normal/average. I don't play the PnP game so I don't know if that's true.
The fuck you care about "core rules" when you dont even have a point of reference from pnp? "Phwooar I wanna feel like im getting the most authentic experience" he says into his holodeck.
So many other compromises made to translate something to videogame format but "hurr mai numbers gots to match boss"
Although true core rulea may not be meaningful a hipster authenticity slider might be
it’s a real pnp experience: the dungeon master know the players at the table he know they are the worst minmaxer the kind of people that google “op solo build pathfinder: kingmaker”

he know that the players are full murderhobo mode.

he know that the players have zero interest on dialogue and rp.

“you minmaxer your character? fine i have minmaxed my encounters”

All a DM needs to do to in most situations to "min max" an encounter is use a creature's full complement of abilities.

A lot of creatures have stupidly obnoxious abilities that most DMs will use sparingly.

Elex

Arbiter
It's probably really good and a big success for these devs. I think, but I'm not sure, that this is their first game and it's a niche genre and everything, I doubt they expected to do this well. I assume it will continue doing well if they manage to keep positive word of mouth about the game circulating which will be tough now that everyone seems pissed at the difficulty and the game has mixed reviews on Steam. I'd wager the launch was excellent at least.

If you want to see what a legitimate fucking bomb looks like then look at Bard's Tale 4, which we can very safely assume had a much higher budget than this game (all things considered it looks like the budget was massive for the type of game inXile were making) which was dead in the water since day 1. It's still very much dead, killed by tech issues, bugs, bad reviews and then the release of Pathfinder which fucked it over even further (you can see the peak number of players was never the same after Pathfinder came out).
it’s a 1 million(?) kickstarer so look like a real success.

Goblino

Savant
I can't believe that I have no time to play this at the moment! Page by page this games seems to have a very good RTwP implementation. Can one of the critics of that style play it and tell how they feel?

I'm only lvl 2 and just defended Oleg's post. So far the RTwP system in this is probably my favorite. I've played a bit of bg1 and iwd, like repeatedly getting 40 plus hours in and quitting altogether, so I have a low opinion of the playstyle. What makes this one pop for me is that right off the bat, you're using debuffs, flanking, buffs, disabling spells of various kinds, and using charge and other such abilities for plain melee characters. The opening of the game drops you right into the action and rapidly gets you using whatever you've got to end each encounter quickly and safely. Crits will fucking destroy you in a second, and likewise for the enemies. I haven't had many difficulties in combat, cause I'm playing on normal with damage and everything set to core values. I'm not far in at all fyi, but things like the camping system for rest, reminiscent of playing RoA, make the assertion that this is a table top simulation more apparent and plausible. I'm really not far enough in to make a real judgement on how it plays, but to me the combat is very enjoyable. Idk where these crazy difficulty spikes are that people are referring too, but it's been pretty easy so far. I'm more concerned about encounters becoming trivial as my characters get stronger.I would recommend it for a purchase with the understanding that it's very buggy still. It has an absurd startup time and obnoxious but tolerable load times between maps, but gameplay is mostly smooth with occasional hiccups and sporadic slowdowns. If you're concerned about it being buggy or crashing your toaster, I'd recommend waiting a little bit to buy it, especially if you're a poor wagie scumbag like me.

Elex

Arbiter
Oh, so i looked it up the question i posed on the last page and it's "Nok-Nok" that MCA wrote. Not to presume that you folks don't already know, but there it is for anyone else who's curious
you are talking about all the lurker in particular the press/blogger/youtuber that try to understand if they must give a positive or negative rating to the game?

DexRiwus

Novice
Non-combat movement speed is atrociously slow. Have to use speedhacks, 'cause i can't wait 30 minutes for my characters to cross half of the map. This needs in-game fast mode more than POE.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Reports from the frontline:
DzDvmXd.jpg

Non-combat movement speed is atrociously slow. Have to use speedhacks, 'cause i can't wait 30 minutes for my characters to cross half of the map. This needs in-game fast mode more than POE.
I'm more bothered by the fact that in-combat movement speed is so slow. Every time combat starts, it's like my whole team starts walking in syrup, and I've just got low encumbrance (and it shouldn't affect movement speed, since I turned that off after realizing that sometimes, your character is alone and somehow gets stuck carrying the entire inventory for themselvws.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Been snatching some hours here and there and oooh boy, does it feel good so far :incline:
Playing on Normal (with 100% enemy damage though) with an Elf Magus and made my way to the Tartuccio's Mercenaries infested temple at lvl2. Valerie takes point and tanks Fighting Defensively with her 27(!) AC, Linzi sings merry songs, the barbarian chick hacks and slashes with her raging charges and my Magus Shocking Grasps mofos to death with that sweet 4d6 damage burst (2d6 for shocking grasp + 1d6 for spellstrike + 1d6 for her normal attack). I just need a goddamn cleric, I can't play D20 without a goddamn cleric :negative:

Life is good Brothers!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing that does annoy me somewhat is they seem to have increased the weight of mundane items.

In the tabletop a strong character can lug around everything and the kitchen sink and still be at light encumbrance. It also becomes a non issue for weaker characters if they get a handy haversack or a bag of holding.

Norfleet

Devs used something like Hideous Laughter (don't know the PT name of the spell) on the ogre, it worked quite well, actually. If it didn't, most melee chars were dead in 5 turns after a couple 45+ crits (or it could have been hits) :lol:
Pretty sure such bosses are meant to be handled with Web/Hold Monster/Sleep/Slow/Grease/Ghoul's Touch and so on. People are generally too drunk on evocation magic to notice that illusion/transmutation/etc is also useful in certain situations.
The problem with spells like that is that the only work when the developers allow them to work, and if NPCs have jacked up saves, they're just completely immune and they're a total waste of effort. Explosions, on the other hand, well, as the size of the explosion increases towards infinity, the number of problems it is incapable of resolving approaches zero. I once did an LP on a D&D game, to which I basically just used MORE EXPLOSIONS as my go-to solution for EVERYTHING, boring the audience to death.

zapotec

Liturgist
I made a post on the Steam forum regarding this rule i found in the reference document, but unfortunately my thread got submerged by other topics.

Adapted rules
Enemies don’t threaten critical hits.

If i am reading it correctly, when an enemy NPC rolls a 20 or whatever his their critical chance, they don't have to confirm the critical strike by re-rolling again?

Cael

Arcane
I made a post on the Steam forum regarding this rule i found in the reference document, but unfortunately my thread got submerged by other topics.

Adapted rules
Enemies don’t threaten critical hits.

If i am reading it correctly, when an enemy NPC rolls a 20 or whatever his their critical chance, they don't have to confirm the critical strike by re-rolling again?
No. If you roll a to-hit and rolled a number within the threat range of the weapon, you threaten a critical. You then roll to confirm a critical.

That setting means the enemy will never crit regardless of what they rolled.

hexer

https://steamspy.com/app/640820 so this gae has 15k peak players on release, is that good or bad? I don't know any of the concurrent player numbers off the top of my head but my impression is that's not bad
It flopped.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... if that's a flop then what's this?

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep ( https://steamspy.com/app/566090 )
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 864

Also, Fallout 2 has an overall recent score on Steam of 84% from 45 reviews in the last 30 days.
The Age of the Cuck is upon us!

Xeon

Augur
Are there any dragons in the game? I kinda want to try the Ranger and not sure if I should pick humans since that's mostly the only thing I encountered in the early game and don't have clue about the rest of the game of what's there and isn't.

If there is a dragon then I want to pick it as my favored enemy and set it as my goal or something.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

In the base game you still have to crit confirm on a natural 20, but a natural 20 is an automatic hit even if their AC would be too high to hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom