Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Salvo

Arcane
Advice for anyone trying out a cleric: selective channeling is a TRAP. Waste of a feat due to mid-combat healing being a bad decision.

Also best domains seem to be Animal and Plant, the former gets an ANIMAL COMPANION at 4th level (absolutely bonkers) and the latter has Enlarge Person as a free action (great for melee fighters).
Willing to answer questions if people ask, I'm no Nerd Commando but still got plenty of experience playing the tabletop version.
why's mid combat healing a bad decision? is it because of the penalty to combat casting or something?

Yes, also casting spells causes AoOs (which is obviously bad). The main reason though is the fact that generally Damage vastly outpaces Healing (heals are for the most part weak), expecially at early levels where a nasty crit can insta-gib you. If your cleric is healing he's not buffing/smacking mooks.

That does not mean that there are no exceptions to this. If you manage to establish a chokepoint with your fighter/tank engaging the enemies by himself, then topping him up with heals while the rest of your party uses ranged/reach weapons is a smart and solid idea. There are also some high-level spells that are worth the time spent using them, such as the 6th level spell Heal (150 hit points).

EDIT: In the end though just go what you feel is right like Rusty did, it will (probably) work out

Jezal_k23

Advice for anyone trying out a cleric: selective channeling is a TRAP. Waste of a feat due to mid-combat healing being a bad decision.

Also best domains seem to be Animal and Plant, the former gets an ANIMAL COMPANION at 4th level (absolutely bonkers) and the latter has Enlarge Person as a free action (great for melee fighters).
Willing to answer questions if people ask, I'm no Nerd Commando but still got plenty of experience playing the tabletop version.
why's mid combat healing a bad decision? is it because of the penalty to combat casting or something?

Yes, also casting spells causes AoOs (which is obviously bad). The main reason though is the fact that generally Damage vastly outpaces Healing (heals are for the most part weak), expecially at early levels where a nasty crit can insta-gib you. If your cleric is healing he's not buffing/smacking mooks.

That does not mean that there are no exceptions to this. If you manage to establish a chokepoint with your fighter/tank engaging the enemies by himself, then topping him up with heals while the rest of your party uses ranged/reach weapons is a smart and solid idea. There are also some high-level spells that are worth the time spent using them, such as the 6th level spell Heal (150 hit points).

EDIT: In the end though just go what you feel is right like Rusty did, it will (probably) work out

What are the best buffs or debuffs in the game?

Cynicus

Augur
Does anyone know if the chests at Oleg's are persistent? Or maybe a better question would be is there any reason to keep anything like wolf hides etc?

Does alignment restrict who you can use as advisors? Just wondering why I can't use the undead elf chick for anything.

Not sure, but I read somewhere that the advisor will resign if they disagree with too many of your decisions. Can't remember where I saw that, though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Hideous Laughter. Bless. The various spells that buff stats. Delay poison, cast BEFORE you fight spiders and shit. Resist/Protection from energy. Protection against alignment. Hold person. Prayer.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If anyone of you is doing a Stealth build, how is that working out? Is it useful to send some squish ahead of the party? Is it used in out-of-combat checks?

I'm going to go Rogue way - like I did in MotB when I soloed vampires in Shadow Mulsantir with it... in every unclear situation pick Rogue.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If anyone of you is doing a Stealth build, how is that working out? Is it useful to send some squish ahead of the party? Is it used in out-of-combat checks?

I'm going to go Rogue way - like I did in MotB when I soloed vampires in Shadow Mulsantir with it... in every unclear situation pick Rogue.

You sneak attacked vampires?

But yea, rogues are amazing, especially since sneak attacks are very easy to set up in PF. Basically any sort of hinderance on enemies will suffice.

Elex

Arbiter
Fuck 'em. CohhCarnage is having awesome time on stream playing it on HARD. He is having so much fun he decided to not play other games in addition to P:KM like he usually does. He is being watched by 10 000+ concurrent watchers all the time. He also all the time defends and praises the game and explains to people that on normal or less the game is not difficult like some people are screaming and that they should try it. Also he has not run into any game breaking bugs.
That is way better marketing than any stupid journos.
it's probally also free because he always play new rpg.
Not just free, he was a KS backer :D
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/315919850
look the first minute.
it's a nosense.
literraly zero promotion.
he can't even contact them.

Salvo

Arcane

Keeping in mind that I have yet to get far into the game and don't know how many and what spells have been implemented, I can tell you some early level stuff for both cleric and wizards. (You get the entire spell selection as a cleric, just need to prepare them, so you can try things yourself)

Buffs: Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength, Protection from [Good/Evil], Divine Favor and Bless are all good, in that order.
Guidance is a cute 0 level Cantrip that gives you +1 to a single roll and that you should cast before every fight on every member.
Firebelly is good for the Bear Treant encounter at the temple early on.
Shield spell from mage list is a nice +4 AC for yourself (caster only unfortunately)

Debuffs
: Bane is generally good but a bit unreliable. Cause Fear is strong but single target.

Color Spray, Sleep and Glitterdust are "I WIN" buttons. If your targets fail the save the encounter is over.

I'd check the Monster Summoning out too. Apparently the Monster Tactician (Inquisitor subclass) is expecially strong in the game.

Does anyone know if the chests at Oleg's are persistent? Or maybe a better question would be is there any reason to keep anything like wolf hides etc?

It is persistent and also magically shared with other Stash type chests you might fight around the world. Cute QoL feature.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You sneak attacked vampires?

I'm not sure I sneak attacked THOSE vampires, because I think my lvl was too low for epic feat that allow to sneak attack undead and constructs.
But I think I coupled it with enchanting two kukri with everything I could.
Later on of course I could sneak attack anyone.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There is a reason to play with named companions: they become advisors after you complete their quest.

I don't know if the same thing happens with hired companions.

Edit. I'm retarded.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The bugs in this game are pretty unforgiveable though. Lategame stuff SHOULD have been tested, but there's plenty of broken shit literally minutes in. Like for example, I took the Madness Domain, and the abilities it provides literally don't work. Timer counts down to casting and... my Inquisitor just sits there, doing nothing at all. Visions of Madness is a classic skill for putting on melee inquisitor because it helps offset their lack of martial skills but I guess testing the basic skills you can get at level 1 was too much to ask.

guise question about dips.
Monks are restricted to lawful. if i start lawful and dip a level in monk for some of the feats/class features, then later on aligment shifts... I get taht i cannot levleup monk anymore but do i lose access to monk class features?

similarly paladin dips.
start as lawful good, 2 level dip in palladin for +CHA to saves, then level up other stuffies and alignment shits. no more pally levels thats ok but do i lose access to the palladin class features?

I really really really like how the equipping items actually changes the paperdoll not just armor and helmet that's low level stuff but bracers (and maybe belts and boots, I haven't found any yet) and how it reflects when you have more than one weapon set. My character has a crossbow, a dagger and a spear, he's a walking armory, do I change weapons during the fight depending on the situation? no, do I use them at all? No my character uses magic, is that stupid? NO IT'S FUCKING COOL AS HELL

Anyone knows if there is elven chainmail in this game? I'm thinking of taking the arcane armor feats to use light and medium armor for no other reason than to look even cooler

PD: Rogue and wizard are tied for best base clothes

jf8350143

Liturgist
Monks are restricted to lawful. if i start lawful and dip a level in monk for some of the feats/class features, then later on aligment shifts... I get taht i cannot levleup monk anymore but do i lose access to monk class features?

similarly paladin dips.
start as lawful good, 2 level dip in palladin for +CHA to saves, then level up other stuffies and alignment shits. no more pally levels thats ok but do i lose access to the palladin class features?
I think you will lose it because I specificity checked it when I was trying to make a paladin first.

But I can't say for sure since Chinese localisation is not that reliable when it comes to class related info,

panda

Savant
To add to everything already said: Jaethal can learn Dazzling Display(well, everyone can but it makes most sense for her). This is absurdly strong debuff skill. From enemies encountered so far only certain skull could more or less resist it. Her DC is so strong that she reliably debuffs regular monsters, trolls or even super magical bears, not to mention puny humies.

Yosharian

Arcane

similarly paladin dips.
Per PnP you do.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
On that one i disagree, there were many participants even in first encounter and they used words like "king", "queen", "war", so IMO that was obvious warning about challenge level. Initially i wanted to kill them all myself too, but then decided to at least take look first.

Btw, do you have Valerie in party?

If it were just the kobold king maybe, but it's every encounter.

I do have Valerie, I got her back from the rival in the tomb with a persuade check.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seems a bit buggy, but pressing 'space' uses the last potion you used. If you equip a potion in combat, pressing space again will equip another. If you use a potion out of combat, again, pressing space will use another.

But it also happens outside of the inventory so make sure you click something else(anything but a potion in the inventory) or you'll use a potion when you pause.

panda

Savant
And they so strong that even she can't tank? Buffed Valerie has like 25-26 AC while flatfooted.

Codex Year of the Donut
anyone know what to do with the golden toad and the chest it came from?

unlike other chests, it doesn't disappear when empty so I assume something is meant to be put in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom