Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Gord

Arcane
I think the first patch added some sharpening, so it's less blurry. Might be mistaken, though.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
There are still people playing this "game"?

Not too many it seems.

zW1H4p3.png

Dorateen
that must be your second or third run ? Maybe with an all Vampire Necromancer party?

Also one must admire the brilliance of inXile when they decided to release the game when they did. Completely unoptimized and unfinished, and in a time window where a truckload of other RPGs would become available. Genius release strategy right there.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
https://steamcommunity.com/games/566090/announcements/detail/3369147113804010409

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch 2
29 September - paul_inxile

Hello everyone!

The second patch for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep is live, and it is a big one. Once again, thank you for all the feedback you provided. We really appreciate it.

In this patch, our team's main focus was continuing to improve optimization of the game across both the GPU and the CPU. We have made some great gains in this area across all quality settings and we will continue to improve it in the upcoming next patch.

We also continued our improvements to loading times. Additional notable fixes in this patch include a resolution to a problem some people experienced during launch where non-ASCII characters in Windows usernames would cause a game crash, UI support for widescreen and non 16-9 aspect ratios, large localization updates across all languages, clean-up pass to the mini-map (including adding save totems to it), lots of ability clean-up and description work, and various balance tweaks.

Moving forward, we are already working on the third patch that will have additional optimization and load time fixes. We expect this to be out in approximately 10 days when this work has been completed.

Beyond that, we will be focusing on additional optimization, fixes, and Legacy Mode. Unfortunately, Legacy Mode will not be part of the third patch as we originally suggested, as this feature is a larger project, and we did not want that feature to reduce the cadence of our updates in the meantime..

For details on this patch, please check out the notes below.

Patch Notes:
  • Fixed a crash on launch issue for Windows accounts that contained non-ASCII characters
  • Optimized lighting and baked lightmaps in Baedish Lowlands, Skara Brae, Inshriach, Castle Langskaal, Mangar’s Tower, Boar Temple, Necromancers Spire, Orkan Rookery, Barrows, and Einaar
  • Optimized combat lighting to make it less taxing on the GPU
  • Large optimization pass to reduce unnecessary ticks happening to reduce load on the CPU
  • Large pass to LOD additional static and skeletal meshes all over the game
  • Various spelling fixes for typos
  • Optimization to animation process system
  • Large group of fixes for combat actions among a variety of enemies that were timing out, creating unnecessary delays. Also sped up attack animations on some slower attacks to improve pacing of combat
  • Fix to hallowed passive of the Blessed boons line and Red Boots passive to work as the descriptions state
  • Updated some save totems that weren’t operating correctly and added save totems to the mini-map
  • Fixed a crash when obtaining a party passive that grants opportunity award during character creation when you had another member in your party that granted an opportunity award already
  • Fixed a crash with skeletons using Woodsman Chop on someone with counter strike when they would die because of the counter strike
  • Fixed a random crash that was due to multi-threading
  • Fix to ensure proper resolution is displayed in windowed fullscreen
  • Fix for gear puzzles not saving correctly in some languages
  • Optimization to Unreal blueprint continuation
  • Fix to unequipping offhand when equipping a 2 handed weapon if Vanguard isn’t active
  • Fix to Granny Maurag conversation
  • Consolidated map legend to remove some unnecessary icons
  • Adjustment to various enemy voicepacks
  • Fix so players won’t be able to save masteries from one adventurer on another adventurer
  • Fix for item meshes that weren’t previously showing up when inspected
  • Fix for end game scenario where Anvil Fist would no longer be a store as his conversation option wasn’t showing up
  • Fix to prevent arrow keys from selecting disabled dropdown widgets
  • Fix to a few animations that weren’t looping properly and had a hitch
  • Fix to subtitles not showing up properly in some instances for human male and female variants
  • Updated Thomas Hoff mesh so he no longer clips
  • Fix to Gerund conversation to not auto-trigger at such a large distance
  • Updated skill tree icons that weren’t unique
  • Updated Songs of Exploration ability usage so the party HUD will hide after using the ability
  • Fix for gold sense continuing to trigger on chests that have already been opened
  • Fix where Tarjan and Zanta camera sequences were missing subtitles
  • Added effect and sound when Shadow of Mangar spawns in
  • Fixed a level streaming issue in Iwon Reg where player could see through the world
  • Fixed an issue where, in rare instances, game could softlock upon interaction with a secret door button in Castle Langskaal
  • Fix an issue where a UI softlock could occur in rare instances in a cutscene in Castle Langskaal
  • Fix for Dragonsbile Bomb puddle audio that could persist after combat had ended
  • Various audio improvements to characters and levels
  • Fix to Arcane Barrage muzzle flash not cleaning up properly where the particle would stay in the world after combat
  • Fix to various abilities where All Out Assault wasn’t applying to the entire ability, Storm of Blades damage preview wasn’t working well with multiplicative effects, Razor Strop tooltips displaying incorrect info
  • Fix where archer’s beat VFX were staying around after an enemy was killed
  • Various VFX optimizations
  • Fix for songs of exploration tooltips no longer showing range diagrams that were unnecessary
  • Fix where Compass of MACO did not, in fact, point north
  • Updated to setting of view distance for NPCs based on user settings
  • Updated materials on Ham in Fettercairn
  • Reduced clutter on mini-map icons
  • Fix for some enemies like floating wizards and giants when hit by specific damage types freezing their animation
  • Fixed a performance hang that would happen when certain enemies would trigger caltrops
  • Updated weapon, item, and armor tooltips to reduce redundant text.
  • Updated tooltip text (where applicable) to explain that an item can be equipped from an ability
  • Fix for crash where the player could inspect an item in the character sheet while an item was on the cursor
  • Moved stat plate locations on giant and wraith enemies
  • Fix to an issue where it wouldn’t save the location of your masteries after trying to rearrange them.
  • Fixed an issue with 16:9 monitors that have a greater resolution than 1920x1080
  • Fix on materials on Father Rythe in Fichti
  • Added missing audio to various UI elements
  • Reduced Falkentyne’s Fury damage by 35%
  • Large amount of fixes to localized text that was showing in an incorrect language
  • Updated Russian font assignments for handwritten notes
  • Fixed spot in Castle Langskaal where a player could fall through the world when triggering a combat
  • Fix for wrecking ball incorrectly showing it would deal 0 damage if the boots weren’t yet equipped
  • Fix for Dragonsbile Bomb text incorrectly showing amount of turns the effect will last for
  • Rebuilt lighting in character creation
  • Fix for a softlock that could occur if your last alive character kills the last alive enemy and themselves with Blood for Blood at the same time
  • Fixed Sinister Street fog showing incorrectly in quality settings lower than Ultra
  • Fixed issue where some normal abilities were always showing the range diagram, even if they do not need it
  • Updated cinematic UI to handle different aspect ratios
  • Updated UI layouts based on various aspect ratios, including widescreen
  • Reordered PAK files to help increase loading times across all scenes
  • Fix for What The River Takes Ghost spawned from combat not saving their state and staying in the world
  • Fix to notification for when the Wraith is killed to notify the owner to go back to Gate ability from Banish Wraith
  • Slightly increased difficulty on skeletons and charn skeleton health and power level
  • Turned of mipmapping for hair alpha cards to prevent beards and hair from disappearing when texture resolution changes
  • Added some status effect types to determine how a status effect stacks when another status of the same class is added to the combatant
  • Added internal setting to adjust type of fog being used based on quality settings
  • Adjusted optimization settings for texture streaming and various texture qualities
  • Optimizations to animals and ultra dynamic sky to reduce amount of ticks
  • Updated AI for Cultist Sorcerers to be more active on the combat grid and reduce them not having an action on their turn due to cooldowns
  • Added ravenous null audio to Duke Kingston’s lair
The team at inXile

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggus

Scholar
I was just thinking. I happily parted with my cash for a GOG version of the Bard's Tale trilogy, but I have zero interest in even looking for a torrent of this. Not sure what that says, but it certainly says something.

Things really have changed, and most of them not for the better. :(

Gord

Arcane
And of course GOG users again got shafted, because they are using the old release channel which has GOG build and distribute the patch manually.
Which likely means no patch before monday evening due to them having a proper weekend to slav around. :outrage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Downloaded patch,
Went back to playing the game,
Had like 40 minutes of fun,
Got stuck on a rock while charging an enemy,
Lost everything I did.

:rage:

i see you still have not figured out that using the save stones to save might be a good idea

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
we are already working on the third patch that will have additional optimization and load time fixes. We expect this to be out in approximately 10 days when this work has been completed.

Beyond that, we will be focusing on additional optimization, fixes, and Legacy Mode. Unfortunately, Legacy Mode will not be part of the third patch as we originally suggested, as this feature is a larger project

fedora.png
At least they're busy fixing stuff. And quite fast as it seems.

Also patch 3 in 10 days? Awesome!
Especially curious about that thing: "Ability to speed up combat animations"

Gord

Arcane
I was just thinking. I happily parted with my cash for a GOG version of the Bard's Tale trilogy, but I have zero interest in even looking for a torrent of this. Not sure what that says, but it certainly says something.

If you already own it, but are not super eager to play right now, wait for 1-2 more patches and give it a try. Despite the edginess surrounding it, it's actually a fun game if you are willing to give it a chance.

Downloaded patch,

So, are those performance improvements noticeable?
While it runs good enough to play it and have fun, I still wouldn't mind more fps in some areas.

Curratum

Performance is absolutely the same as it was on launch - i.e. hot garbage.

Can't get 30 fps in combat, playing at 900p on an i5 and an R9 380 4gb. Looking around while exploring can give you a headache from just the low fps.

Fuck you, Fargo, you rancid puddle of vomit.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, are those performance improvements noticeable?
While it runs good enough to play it and have fun, I still wouldn't mind more fps in some areas.

I'd also like to know. Performance issues are holding me back at the moment.
With patch 2 installed, my home PC (i3 4170, 8GB RAM, R7 260X 2GB) can run the game quite okay at medium setting, 900p, 30fps. There's still occasional frame drop when I move camera at high density places, but overall it performs better than launch and I'm satisfied considering how old my home PC is.
My work PC (i5 8400, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB) still can't get stable 60fps on ultra 1080p, I drop some settings to high and it does get 60fps but framedrops are also frequent. Kingdom Come Deliverance ran better at launch than this game, tbh.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
With patch 2 installed, my home PC (i3 4170, 8GB RAM, R7 260X 2GB) can run the game quite okay at medium setting, 900p, 30fps. There's still occasional frame drop when I move camera at high density places, but overall it performs better than launch and I'm satisfied considering how old my home PC is.
My work PC (i5 8400, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB) still can't get stable 60fps on ultra 1080p, I drop some settings to high and it does get 60fps but framedrops are also frequent. Kingdom Come Deliverance ran better at launch than this game, tbh.

Thank you kindly for the report. I'll keep waiting.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Patch has improved framerate ever so slightly for me, around 5 fps boost in most areas. (My PC: i7-7700HQ, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1050 ti)

I run it with everything set to ULTRA other than shadows set to HIGH, with Temporal AA. The frame rate is all over the place, from low 20s in certain areas (the Adventurer's Guild, for some weird reason) to around 60 in others (most dungeons). Average FPS tends to be in the 30-45 range. The 5 fps boost from the latest patch actually helped a lot with this, as areas that were just under 30 fps are now at 30 fps for much smoother experience.

If I lower foliage to HIGH it gives me a slight boost in outdoor areas, but I find the difference between ULTRA and HIGH to be way too noticeable (it affects more than just grass and trees).

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Patch has improved framerate ever so slightly for me, around 5 fps boost in most areas. (My PC: i7-7700HQ, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1050 ti)

It's pretty sad when a dungeon crawling game that should be far less demanding than other types of games can't reach at least 60FPS on a computer with those more than adequate specs.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The craziest thing with BT IV is that the difference between graphic setting levels is HUGE. Shadows on anything below HIGH ruins the lighting, while setting foliage to anything below ULTRA removes not only half of the trees and grass, but even environmental objects like fences. :o Setting effects to anything below HIGH seems to kill the antialiasing for some reason, while setting it to MEDIUM basically removes most effects as far as I can tell.

Later areas in the game look really good... but there's also nothing going on besides putting graphics up on the screen. There's no physics or AI or whatever. It makes no sense at all to me that the Adventurer's Guild of all places slows down to 20 fps. I think the game has a problem with any area where there are a lot of character models standing around. I've noticed this too in later outdoor areas with a lot of large groups of encounters. Once you start killing groups of enemies, the frame rate improves quite a bit in these areas. I'm wondering if they are not culling anything at all when rendering. (The Adventurer's Guild is simply an anomaly; it slowly fills up with characters as you progress in the game, but for me at least, it's 20 fps whether you first step foot in there with only a handful of NPCs, and 20 fps 15 hours later when it's now got double the amount of characters hanging around).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom