Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

LJ40

Cipher
Like in all DQ from DQ1 =) People say different things at night. There's also a rain/sun/storm thing with different monsters spawning.
#3 was the first to have the day/night cycle.

Perkel

Arcane
Other gripe is that you get all this nice equipment that could be used to fight monsters who like to put debufs etc but almost every fight is to easy to fight so you never need those protections.

polo

Magister
Other gripe is that you get all this nice equipment that could be used to fight monsters who like to put debufs etc but almost every fight is to easy to fight so you never need those protections.
Harder enemies dud.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This is why I get pissed off when people moan about 'hp bloat' and 'bullet sponges'. If your enemies die in two attacks obviously you'll never bother with status effects.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I played the whole game (normal of course), using the combination of 3 Fight Wisely, 1 Focus on Healing (for 'harder fights, not bosses).

2 Show No Mercy, 1, fight wisely and 1 Focus on Healing (For bosses).

My Goto group was usually, Hero, Eight, Veronica and Serina. For Bosses, Serina was usually swapped with Sylvando. If both my Kazingers had died, I'd bring in Rab until they were alive again and swap him back out. I Don't recall my Eight having the Kerplunk abilty, or I might have probably forgone swapping Rab in and using that.

I hardly ever controlled the party manually, sometimes the hero (or the healer) to make sure they casted Kazing instead of doing something stupid.

Also used (mostly) Use Pep Powers Automatically. Unless a quest called for a certain condition on either using, or killing with the Pep Power.

Zep--

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Tbh, I have more of a gripe that the vast majority of these accessories only give 25% chance of resisting their specific state, even at +3. There's a few that give 100%, but they're few and far between, at least up to lvl 47 ish. It just makes them really unreliable and if you do use them, it's still in the lap of RNGesus.

Perkel

Arcane
Is there an item that helps against pheggits trolling your party with Thwack?

Death protection items. But you probably won't find anything 100% to cover it. Especially early.

I am currently sitting at 37 lvl and best protection i can make is for dark damage and it is about 75% from all equipment i can muster.
Problem here is that every enemy dies in 3-4 turns so there is no reason to use it at all even if you farm stuff.

This is why I get pissed off when people moan about 'hp bloat' and 'bullet sponges'. If your enemies die in two attacks obviously you'll never bother with status effects.

I don't thin it is issue with hp bloat or lack of it.

Problem here is that there is no enemy that actually uses such attacks in consistent way or when they attack they don't actually pose any threat to party that has healer. If enemy dies in 3 turns then you should also have ability to die in same 3 turns.

HP bloat IS a problem though regardless of game you are talking about and i disagree with you. The more numbers you throw then more you make stat comparison tool and take out tactics out of combat. Good analogy of that phenomena is argument about boxers. If you put 1 average boxer and 1 master boxer and give them 1 round only then there is reasonable chance that 1 average boxer has a chance to win. But if you set condition of win as 24 consecutive fights and winner is the one who takes majority of fights home then that average boxer has no chance of winning. Summing up. The more stats you put in place the more predictable system becomes and less fun.

In case of DQ11 hp bloat doesn't really exist. It is enemies who are weak that is the problem. I spend now nearly 40 hours and only tentacle monster was hard fight but aside from him everything else didn't require any planning, just faceroll. I kind of get that generally DQ is created toward younger audience and some of people need to learn as they go but there aren't really any curveballs either that would require you something else than choosing attack and spell>heal. This might change though when i hit end game.

Still i have one heck of a fun, mostly thanks to characters. I kind of scratched off completely traditional jrpgs for past 10 years because i fully believed that formula just doesn't work in era where most of combat systems are deeper than just pure hp attack comparison but DQ11 is kind of proving that jrpg can still exist, it is just that devs are shit and couldn't either make something good or couldn't innovate enough to lose junk that was not needed.

Now real question is.. does DQ11 even need exploration>combat transition ? I mean i don't expect YS out of this but something YSish mixed with FF12 active turn system would be nice thing and flow better imho. Or even better make it YS + Gambit system, or alternatively Vagrant Story system for spells and abilities that stops time while default attacks and spells won't + Gambit system.

I mean DQ11 doesn't have any positioning (not even lines) so turn combat in special arena doesn't make really sense.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Liquid Metal Helm gives 20%. Rab can buy a Mitre in Gondolia (Pt. 2) that gives 50%. There are accessories that can be bought that give 25%. These are just off the top of my head, and are the unupgraded values. There are definitely more.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I played the whole game (normal of course), using the combination of 3 Fight Wisely, 1 Focus on Healing (for 'harder fights, not bosses).

2 Show No Mercy, 1, fight wisely and 1 Focus on Healing (For bosses).

My Goto group was usually, Hero, Eight, Veronica and Serina. For Bosses, Serina was usually swapped with Sylvando. If both my Kazingers had died, I'd bring in Rab until they were alive again and swap him back out. I Don't recall my Eight having the Kerplunk abilty, or I might have probably forgone swapping Rab in and using that.

I hardly ever controlled the party manually, sometimes the hero (or the healer) to make sure they casted Kazing instead of doing something stupid.

Also used (mostly) Use Pep Powers Automatically. Unless a quest called for a certain condition on either using, or killing with the Pep Power.

Zep--

Oh, and Don't use MP on All (trash mobs accidentally run into) if I was trying to get back to a boss (or whatever) and wanted to make sure i had FULL MP when I got there.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
So Basically..my strategy was "Press X to Win", not turn micro-management.

Zep--

Fred

Learned
Yeah but all the equipment that gives that is end game, or at least mid-late. Best thing before is using Serena's ability that does that (only single target tho).
She has 2 of those, oneis an upgrade of the other.

Yeah the party AI is pretty smart at this game, I played with it in japanese version. It even uses the most efficient attack to finish a mob, I even saw it use attack with Veronica and kill a mob with one damage. The AI knows all.

Fred

Learned
But the best way to prevent that is to cast fizzle, mobs with instant death spells are (i think ?) all susceptible to it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Talk to the old cannon lady.

Don't need it. Just stored pew charges for whole team and used that team move with black hair chick which scares boss for good 2-3 turns.
Got tentacles dead and then his face melted quickly after that.
I remember when later i tried to finish it with pep for quest.
Spent hour to find tentacular in random battle, first turn - Jade killed him with multithrust with 4% chance for instand death. It was ONLY time it procced in entire time she used this spear. I said "fuck this quest"

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Don't need it. Just stored pew charges for whole team and used that team move with black hair chick which scares boss for good 2-3 turns.
Spent hour to find tentacular in random battle, first turn - Jade killed him with multithrust with 4% chance for instand death. It was ONLY time it procced in entire time she used this spear. I said "fuck this quest"

Yeah, the 'kill with Pep power' quests are a bit obnoxious. I don't mind the 'kill rare enemy' ones as I like a bit of grinding, but I was doing the 'Nightclubber with Buff-Buff' one and it took a bit longer than I enjoyed. Only because the first time I tried I didn't quite kill it with the power, the second time I was lined up to do it next go and MC got critted and died. By then I was running out of SP so needed to leave and sail back to the island. :argh:

Hyperion

Arcane

Works in your 40s - Pop Holy Water, sail East of Sniflheim. Tentacular only enemy strong enough to spawn through.

1 and done.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
PYZXX0X.jpg

:negative:

Perkel

Arcane
Just finished act 1 finally after about 45 hours. Gotta say that was really interesting.

My only issue with Act 1 is fucking boring compared to Act2.
I can't believe Act1 and Act2 come from same team of developers.
Pacing is completely different and way better and it feels like FFIX in a good way.

Perkel

Arcane
I liked part 1 more, but Last Bastion was really cool. May be best part of the game.

Act 1 would be fine if it would have good pacing. Problem is that it doesn't.
Even important events are delivered very weakly.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I personally prefer low level adventure so for me just traveling the world and collecting companions beats epic world saving without questions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom