Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about another RPG Codex Top 70 RPGs poll?

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
And Skyrim wins

Martyr

Arcane
In what way do Daggerfall dungeons feel “natural”? Cellars in Morrowind feel like cellars, not like a Kraken orgy that got caught up in a volcanic eruption and preserved for all eternity like those dudes at Pompeii. Like, it is a reasonable opinion that Daggerfall dungeons are better than Morrowind, but more natural they aren’t.

Also

Wizardry 8 is far superior to Wiz7

FTFY

not talking about cellar-dungeons (these aren't natural at all) but talking about real dungeons. they are caves that got inhabited by skeletons/necromancers/monsters etc. you can get lost in them - just like you can get lost in caves in real life. the dungeons in Morrowind+ are what caves would look like, which have been built for tourists in DisneyLand.

Wizardry 8 is a great game, but in fact it is a dumbed down version of Wizardry 7.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
not talking about cellar-dungeons (these aren't natural at all) but talking about real dungeons. they are caves that got inhabited by skeletons/necromancers/monsters etc. you can get lost in them - just like you can get lost in caves in real life. the dungeons in Morrowind+ are what caves would look like, which have been built for tourists in DisneyLand.

I was thinking more of those dungeons where the walls look like it is a man-made structure, but the layout looks like nothing that a sane mane would or an insane man could possibly build (IIRC the very first dungeon is like that, but that one wasn't particularly confusing). Caves as large as Daggerfall dungeons are quite rare IRL, and there usually won't be anything large living in those. Daggerfall dungeons feel very gamey (that's not a bad thing, mind you); I'm pretty sure real life bandits and smugglers would rather use a Morrowind cave as their base of operation than a Daggerfall one.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Our currently prestigious top-70 is at risk of being polluted/diluted/supplanted, which list will show up on a Google search

This. The Codex Top 70 is fine no need to change that, imo. Would be nice to have something like Old vs New RPGs just for fun though

Oh, and Wizardry 8 is FUCKING AWESOME.

felipepepe We definitely need a new poll, because with all the craptastic Top RPG lists out there, the codex list is the only respectable list with any exposure (even if I disagree with a bunch of games on it, as I am sure do many others). However, since it was done in early 2014, it is now behind the times, since there HAVE been at least several worthy RPGs released since then. So it absolutely needs to be updated to stay relevant, even at the risk of dilution.

However, I think the polling approach needs to change. I don't have the answers, but in my opinion, there are two major problems with the approach used last time, and we have a lot of smart people here, so I would like to see them come up with solutions to these issues.

1. The poll depends too much on how many people have played the game, which inherently puts older games at a disadvantage. There needs to be a way to counter that, maybe use the 2012-1016 approach, and just list all the RPGs, and have people vote on ones they like/dislike, whih would even the playing field for games with less exposure.

2. The limited point nature of the last poll gave more power to fanatics and less to objective, balanced people. Someone would just pump the max into their favorite game(s) if they were fanatical about it, whereas someone with more objectivity and experience might choose to distribute less points to more worthy games. Again, I think the 2012-2016 approach is better.

I realize that putting together a list of ALL rpgs released from the beginning would be insane, as well as having to look through it to vote, so maybe a good compromise might be 2 rounds of voting:

1st round, people submit their lists of worthy games. Felipepe or someone else puts them together into one voting list.

2nd round, people vote likes/dislikes for the list from the 1st round, using a 1-5 scale or whatever was used in 2012-2016.

My 2 cents.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The previous Top 70 poll was pretty good, so I support the idea of another one, as long as we have a comprehensive article about the results like last time.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Will the holy trinity ever be beaten?

One can only hope.
But in all likelihood when it is beaten I will go
giphy.gif

as it loses to twitch3r or dark souls or some other horrible possibility.

Every 5 years seems like a reasonable interval imo.

deama

Prophet
I'd like to see another poll yes, but I think it should be confined to people who have an account on the codex, maybe only accounts that are 1 year old at least? At any rate, I like what PorkyThePaladin suggested.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got out of lurking and made my very first post for the voting thread for the top 70, and ended up writing one of the mini reviews, those were the days :happytrollboy:

Shin

Cipher
Would be cool if there were subcategories this time.

I think Dark Souls is a fine game but have a hard time comparing it to Wizardry 7. Or to compare Deus Ex to Dark Sun. Both fine games but hard to put in the same box.
So maybe having action-RPG's, isometric RPG's, strategy RPG's, jRPG's etc in separate sections would be helpful. The hard part would be defining in which subgenre a game would fit (I'm sure a lot would fit in more than one).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually think that this is a good suggestion.
Would be cool if there were subcategories this time.

I think Dark Souls is a fine game but have a hard time comparing it to Wizardry 7. Or to compare Deus Ex to Dark Sun. Both fine games but hard to put in the same box.
So maybe having action-RPG's, isometric RPG's, strategy RPG's, jRPG's etc in separate sections would be helpful. The hard part would be defining in which subgenre a game would fit (I'm sure a lot would fit in more than one).
We can do one list of all-time greats, and then several lists of the RPGs broken down into categories.

We did 2012-2016 RPGs last year already: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10535

The fun thing about doing this is to see how modern RPGs compare to older titles, see how Witcher 3 or D:OS rank alongside Fallout: New Vegas, Gothic and other older games.

I think we need more time to objectively assess the quality of new games against the old ones. Let's do a different poll, like best combat RPGs or best jRPGs.

Falksi

Arcane
Folk will have woken up to how wank The Witcher 3 is now. However the poll is structured we should hopefully see it's likes relegated to a support role at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom