Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News INSOMNIA: The Ark Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: INSOMNIA: The Ark; Studio Mono

INSOMNIA: The Ark is a retro-futuristic dieselpunk RPG from a Russian team called Studio Mono, set aboard a colossal space station that's been floating through deep space for centuries. Originally known as just InSomnia, the game has existed in some form or other since at least 2011. It was Kickstarted in 2014 and again in 2016, gradually changing from an isometric RTwP-type game to a third person action-RPG along the way. Despite such changes, our community remained interested in the game, intrigued by its unique setting and Fallout-inspired design. After a flurry of promotion over the past few weeks, INSOMNIA's long journey has finally come to an end. Here's its launch trailer and description:

INSOMNIA is a dieselpunk sci-fi RPG about the slowly degrading remnants of human society attempting to survive on an abandoned space metropolis. Develop your character, explore lovingly handcrafted locations, interact with peculiar NPCs and factions, craft equipment and try to stay alive in this brutal world.

Welcome to Object 6 - a colossal space station set on a dismal 400-year journey in search of a new home. Your character wakes from cryogenic sleep — stricken with a rare psychological disease and unknowingly holding humanity’s last hope in his bare hands...

Exploration is rewarding…and dangerous

Survive hunger, thirst, fatigue while searching for valuable technology and resources in over 70 unique locations. Pay attention - INSOMNIA’s nuanced world can conceal unexpected quests from treacherous characters, as well as savage enemies and deadly hazards.

Personalized journey

Break free from character classes and unwanted grind with a flexible perk system combined with a large amount of craftable items and equipment. Choose your gear wisely - every armor and weapon type in the game has its own tactical virtues and shortcomings.

Сhoices matter

Navigate a non-linear storyline with ‘points of no return’ that encourage unorthodox approaches and 12 different story endings. Your character’s chosen background plays a role in how you interact with NPC’s and factions, as well as influences the outcomes of certain quests.

A rich universe

Experience a neo-noir world with elements of dieselpunk. Witness man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark ambient soundtrack and echoes of a decaying civilization.

The game is apparently pretty cool but also quite janky, as its Steam reviews will attest. It seems hard to believe it'll survive, coming out at the tail end of this crazy month. But if you've been looking for something more actiony to play, it might be a good choice. You can grab INSOMNIA on Steam for $30, with a 10% discount until next week.

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing this for a couple hours and it seems really cool. It's kind of like if Fallout 1 and Gothic had a love child, then shot it into space. Love the setting and the atmosphere, RPG systems seem nice, and gameplay is fun so far. Clearly in need of some patching, but definitely deserving of more attention. It's interesting enough to pull me away from Pathfinder: Kingmaker for a couple hours, anyway. That's about as high a praise I can give an RPG right now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Man, the unfinished translation made it feel like an early access game but I agree, the ambitions of this game is pretty clear to see. The graphical settings also disappoint, I wanted to disable motion blur and stuff and couldn't see any. A shame really. If they're selling it for $49, I'd refund it straight away, but the lowered price tag is also triggering my suspicion that this is a desperate cash grab.

Puteo

Learned
I've put 6 hours into the game so far and it's really damn good.

The Fallout + Gothic comparison is spot on, it's clear the developers were fans of both games and it feels like a much more faithful sequel than the legitimate IP holders of those two franchises have given since.

It has two main problems with it that are really putting people off.

1. Terrible optimization, I have a 1080 so this isn't really a problem for me but I still see the FPS dip into the 50s on occasion.

2. There are a ton of amateurish bugs in the first 30 minutes of the game. I had: ingame audio playing over a cutscene, turrets floating above the ground, horrible low resolution textures, and the map for an early game location - one of the most complicated, showing up completely in russian.

After the first 30 minutes, the bugs drop off significantly to about the level of post-patch Oblivion or Elex. Nothing was game-breaking and again, after that rocky start it's been pretty much smooth sailing, but I almost gave up because of it.

Shame that the bugs were so front-loaded, that's gotta be killing their sales right now.

Overall, if you liked Elex and you have a good PC I'd highly recommend it; especially at the price point it's at.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
'bout time, Infi.

But seriously guys, wait a month or two. There's a damn fine game here, but the bugs don't do her any good.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Buy now and wait. The developers likely ran out of cash and need support. It's only $26 right now, but when polished it will be worth much more than that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Trailer looks awesome!
Codex is praising it!
It is released now that I got P:KM, BT4 and soon Vigilantes to play :(
It seems to be action rpg combat which I hate :(

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looking forward to 'October Insanity'
No RPGs out in October except Cthulhu. Nothing in November either except Underworld and whatever it is that Bethesda's doing with Fallout now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom