Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Laughing at how even in a thread for a new release you people like, a lot of you still can't stop talking about PoE. :lol:
Isn't it a pretty natural comparison, though? Whether one considers PoE shit or not, it was a big release in the same genre? Comparisons are going to happen, and there's no inherent reason or point to avoiding the topic.

Saying "you can't stop talking about X" implies anyone has made an effort not to talk about PoE, or that it's somehow haram and should be avoided. This is not true.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Does pathfinder have black powder weaponry?
The PnP? Yes. There's even a Gunslinger base class.

Golarion is the ultimate kitchen-sink. Literally neighboring the Stolen Lands in which this game takes place, there are huge robots, techno-barbarians, a lolhueg downed spaceship, and laser-rifles. There's no real consistency. Hell, we even meet Technic League people in the game, yet not a single high-tech thing between the lot of them. The only consistency that can exist is self-contained to each campaign or DM, and you better not ask questions or scratch the surface.

Golarion is such a fucking shit setting in nearly every imaginable way.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Game is full of small details. I mean just critters alone is such a great move!
Yeah, I noticed yesterday how the rabbits makema little *fwomph* sound when scuttling the fields.
If you're in the caves and move camera so that's your party off-screen their barks will be muffed!
Yeah, whomever was in charge of sound was a genius. I've heard some really shitty voiceover work (especially that bandit woman you meet), but whomever worked with the sound itself was a fucking genius. I've never experienced such immersion in this type of game before. Rabbit fwomphs, muffled sounds/barks, muted echo, hushed/whispered voices when sneaking, etc. Again, there's shit I can shit on in this game, but it's clearly a labor of love for some of the very talented people involved.

Last edited:

Curratum

I wouldn't call Golarion shit, but then again... I wouldn't ever run a campaign in it as written, so maybe I should really call it shit... :hmmm:

Shadenuat

Arcane
So far I am only disappointed in 1 thing

for all the fucking loading screens
for all the labour they've put into little 3d buildings, village spots, even landscapes are different
for all the running around

all your cities are fucking same

yeah, crafters are great when they come to you and deliver basically free stuff (although their fedex loading screens quests are bad), but you will never go into Random Tavern #4 to talk to your Random NPC Barkeep #62 or walk around the park you placed. It feels like these cities should serve as little hubs for your adventures but they lack anything interesting besides that; heck, they lack even THAT i.e. you can't use the taverns you've built there to rest.

Concidering your capital and your cities all have small buildings to walk into, I smell cut content.

Cael

Arcane

Golarion is the ultimate kitchen-sink. Literally neighboring the Stolen Lands in which this game takes place, there are huge robots, techno-barbarians, a lolhueg downed spaceship, and laser-rifles. There's no real consistency. Hell, we even meet Technic League people in the game, yet not a single high-tech thing between the lot of them. The only consistency that can exist is self-contained to each campaign or DM, and you better not ask questions or scratch the surface.

It is supposed to be a crapsack world to end all crapsack worlds.

They have the god of humanity blowing up and as a consequence, a large part of one end of the continent started worshipping Asmodeus.
They have a slumbering lich king of unimaginable power that took the now dead god of humanity to help kill sitting in another part of the continent.
They have the worldscar, a massive nation-sized tunnel all the way to hell where demons keep pouring forth, kept in check only by a line of ward stones. And they still manage to get through, although in drips and drabs instead of a horde.
They have that crashed ginormous alien ship that spawned all kinds of laser tech.
They have Viking analogs that have to kill a adragon to prove their manhood or some crap like that. Can't imagine the dragons are too happy about that.
They have the ultimate in stupidity: the Starstone. A stone that can turn you into a god... if you passed its tests... which is unique to each person. Funtimes.
Oh, and half the current gods are ascended humans thanks to the Starstone. Why don't they give the players the keys to the magic armoury while they are at it?

And this is just in the northern continent, where all the action takes place. The southern one? Jungle. Massive jungle. Unexplored jungle. Shh! Buy the expansion books.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Laughing at how even in a thread for a new release you people like, a lot of you still can't stop talking about PoE. :lol:
I personally don't care about PoE at all, 0% interest or emotion.

All people always wanted was game like this, why did other developers instead tried to deliver their own vision TM is a mystary

I guess, first BG was done by Canadian Ukranians, this by barbarian Russians, so probably it all makes sense, only them can make RPGs right; well and Czech of course can do good Mafia 1/Morrowind hybrids as we found out

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

They have the god of humanity blowing up and as a consequence, a large part of one end of the continent started worshipping Asmodeus.
They have a slumbering lich king of unimaginable power that took the now dead god of humanity to help kill sitting in another part of the continent.
They have the worldscar, a massive nation-sized tunnel all the way to hell where demons keep pouring forth, kept in check only by a line of ward stones. And they still manage to get through, although in drips and drabs instead of a horde.
They have that crashed ginormous alien ship that spawned all kinds of laser tech.
They have Viking analogs that have to kill a adragon to prove their manhood or some crap like that. Can't imagine the dragons are too happy about that.
They have the ultimate in stupidity: the Starstone. A stone that can turn you into a god... if you passed its tests... which is unique to each person. Funtimes.
Oh, and half the current gods are ascended humans thanks to the Starstone. Why don't they give the players the keys to the magic armoury while they are at it?

And this is just in the northern continent, where all the action takes place. The southern one? Jungle. Massive jungle. Unexplored jungle. Shh! Buy the expansion books.

Setting created by the writers of Shadow the Hedgehog. Nothin' personnell, kid.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
So, no slings... anyone found any darts? There's Dart Proficiency/Focus, after all.
There's a sling staff. Requires a specific exotic proficiency iirc.
Can use your strength score for added damage.

Edit: You can buy one right from the first trader guy.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, no slings... anyone found any darts? There's Dart Proficiency/Focus, after all.

Yeah, but Sling Staffs is entirely different from slings, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Slings are 1h Simple ranged weapons that allows you to add Strength for damage. Sling staffs are 2h and exotic. I have no idea why anyone would spend a exotic weapon proficiency to use sling staffs, giving up the major advatages of the good ol' sling.

But then I saw that there was a Dart Proficiency/Focus, at which point I realized that I haven't seen a single Dart so far.

nope these items don't exist in the game.
So there's a Dart Weapon Focus, but no Darts? Fucking Russians, I swear on me mum...

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, but Sling Staffs is entirely different from slings, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Slings are 1h Simple ranged weapons that allows you to add Strength for damage. Sling staffs are 2h and exotic. I have no idea why anyone would spend a exotic weapon proficiency to use sling staffs, giving up the major advatages of the good ol' sling.

But then I saw that there was a Dart Proficiency/Focus, at which point I realized that I haven't seen a single Dart so far.

nope these items don't exist in the game.
So there's a Dart Weapon Focus, but no Darts? Fucking Russians, I swear on me mum...
DLCs modders will fix it...

That made me think - couldn't Russians DESIGN rpgs and then Japanese actually MAKE them?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Ah, sorry, missed the past discussion.

I haven't really noticed any regular slings or darts yet, either, but then again, I just give everyone a polearm or magic.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Holy shit summons don't disappear when you use the same spell, you can use it again and again, you can have up to 20-30 summons at the same time from a single char wreaking havoc left and right.

Hell if you use two clerics, you can have 40-50 skeletal champions, just stay back and watch the show:lol:

Cael

Arcane

Setting created by the writers of Shadow the Hedgehog. Nothin' personnell, kid.
That is about 8 words more than is required. "Setting created by Paizo" is more than enough to let people know how bad it is.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Were the devs invited in here? Would be nice for them to get some positive feedback I believe. It's frustrating to even look at the Steam reviews
- Devs why is this so hard this is not like in PnP
- But here this works exactly like in PnP, look
- .....b but why is it so hard then??!!

/reviews.

Cael

Arcane
I think the staff slings are basically a 2hd exotic version of the sling. 1d8 base damage vs 1d4, which would suit the progression of 1 size up and exotic being 1 step better at something (e.g., 1hd martial = 1d8 base, 1hd exotic = 1d10 base, the crit range being the same).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh shit, maybe this is why we're not getting our keys - they burnt out their community manager! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2300895

Wind of Change

Dear pathfinders,

it is with a heavy heart that we come to you today. You may have noticed an unusual stillness on our game's social media - especially on Kickstarter, our official forum and Discord. Sadly, our beloved community manager, Berserkerkitten, has bid us farewell last week. Due to health reasons, he decided to take a step back and put everything on hold while he recuperates. The dev team at Owlcat Games would like to thank Berserkerkitten for his titanic contributions to this game and this community. We fully support your decision and wish you a speedy recovery!

As of now, a whole group of people is going to work hard every day to make sure your questions are answered, your concerns are addressed and your feedback is heard. There is quite a backlog of e-mails, messages and posts to go through, so it might take some time until we can get back to you, but we'll get there sooner rather than later - promise. On Kickstarter and on our official forum, this task will predominantly fall on me. Which means that introductions are in order!

My name is Kotarsis, I am a narrative designer and (from now on) a community manager at Owlcat Games. You might have met me at our dev streams last week, or on our Discord server. I was an academic games researcher before becoming a part of the industry, I know a thing or two about Eastern European fantasy and sci-fi, and I have a soft spot for linguistics and philosophy. But most of all, I am very happy that I will be able to spend more time with you, guys and gals, and I'll do my best to keep this place cozy and warm.

Hail to the Kings!

This is crazy. The upside is Roqua has no reason to be butthurt at Owlcat anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom