Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Fred

Learned
Nothing else I want to play (well yes there is Labyrinth of thingy), so I started a second playthrough with all the draconian options :D
No shop and no armor will be horrible. No armor already hurts (can't even equip accessories as long as they give more than one armor it seems), and no shop is not a problem now but will be, considering how useful are some end game shops for crafting ingredients (will have to run around a lot more)
Smallpox activates I'd estimate 20% of the time, perhaps 25%. I wonder if turn skip resistance equipment can help.
I was worried no fleeing would prevent me for going to buy advanced stuff when I'll get the ship, but then I remembered no shopping, so I guess it's not a real problem.
Less XP for weak monsters isn't a problem at all.

Well, played one hour and left Cobblestone, let's try this.

Perkel

Arcane
will never understand why someone would want to play this with no shopping or no armor.

Both are doable.

1. Shops either way don't have anything interesting and most of the time you either find or make gear yourself.
2. DQ11 uses system in which there are cutoff where you get damage just by virtue of having slight more attack or defense. Just farm for 10-15 hours seeds of defense or life and you basically play like you have armor.

Though 2nd one is def autistic.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is not impossible, but it really is alot of grinding.

The thing is, if you have like 500 hours to burn, fine, but the only thing it does to you is taking lots of your time.

Shops have alot of ingredients, and they sell pearls too, and they save you alot of waiting for drops, stealing and waiting for sparkles to respawn.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tbf, I find the idea of starting another playthrough almost straight after dropping 100+ hours on the first one probably indicative of some sort of mental disorder.

I'm loving the game, but let's be honest- it doesn't have high replayability.

/Salute nonetheless, you're getting your money's worth no doubt.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Whether it's doable or not was never the issue but rather that you're intentionally removing enjoyable aspects of the gameplay for no logical reason.

Perkel

Arcane
Shops have alot of ingredients, and they sell pearls too, and they save you alot of waiting for drops, stealing and waiting for sparkles to respawn.

I am in act 2 and i just got all members of party and i can safely say i bought like 2 times from shop anything. 1 sword and some random garbage i didn't need.

Whether it's doable or not was never the issue but rather that you're intentionally removing enjoyable aspects of the gameplay for no logical reason.

Well they are not gameplay enhancers or something like that to begin with but some sort of "challange mode"

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I remember buying 30 or 40 Holy Waters one time (early on) because I thought they were Mana Potions.

Imagine my surprise when I used them and my mana wasn't going up.

"FFFFFFFFUCK, What is this shit!" (*reads description*) (*face palms hard*)

Zep--

Fred

Learned
Tbf, I find the idea of starting another playthrough almost straight after dropping 100+ hours on the first one probably indicative of some sort of mental disorder.

I'm loving the game, but let's be honest- it doesn't have high replayability.

/Salute nonetheless, you're getting your money's worth no doubt.
Yeah, I'll just try, if I have to farm I'll stop. I want to see if some clever buffing or some bizarre strategies make the game possible. If I just have to farm there's no point.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I am in act 2 and i just got all members of party and i can safely say i bought like 2 times from shop anything. 1 sword and some random garbage i didn't need.

Well they are not gameplay enhancers or something like that to begin with but some sort of "challange mode"

The thing is though Perkel , you're not playing with Harder Monsters. Imo, you really screwed yourself there as the game is almost perfectly balanced with that option. Everything gets a little easier in Act 2 depending on how much you've levelled, but there's still a decent challenge and crucially, you can't faceroll everything like on normal and get bored shitless.

They should make harder monsters the default setting and let people enable an easier mode if they want. I'm no min/max theorycrafter and I've got by just fine and am almost finished with Act2 after 80 or so hours.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
cheat engine dq11 table from fearless revolution forums lets you enable or disable draconian flags any time you want.

polo

Magister
Gloomnivore was a fun fight. Took me 3 tries to barely beat the mf.

Fred

Learned
I farmed for the first time in Octogonia dungeon for 30mn then an hour in the Dorian dungeon (basically when I randomly met metal slimes I stayed a bit). In my first playthrough I even mostly avoided most random battles, they were too long. My level of autism is not that high in fact, I hate farming and usually it makes me quit a game.

Zerth

Arbiter
So, how much different/better It is in comparison to DQ VIII and DQ IX?.

Hyperion

Arcane
8 had tons of potential, but pacing was all over the place. Part 1 was significantly better than 2, with the exception of Dragon Graveyard because late game combat was extremely poor. The tension system made it extremely sluggish, with all 3 characters built around supporting the Hero. Every boss using Disruption Wave to clear buffs and Tension then magnified the problem, because you could go 12 turns without dealing a point of damage.

9 had no difficulty balance, and was a monotonous grind. The main story was dreadfully boring, and easy. After that the entire game was grind, grind, grind grottoes till...who knows. There wasn't much purpose to do them beside completion sake.

Zerth

Arbiter
Pretty much, although in VIII you can summon the arena monsters as complementary damage option; there were some pretty neat combos, albeit kinda unreliable, such as Triple Trouble with killing machines.

However, is the skill panel an improvement to the previous systems?. It allows flexibility or there is an obvious optimal path as many former DQ with tons of spells but with just a handful of useful ones?

Reinhardt

Arcane
However, is the skill panel an improvement to the previous systems?
At level cap you can learn almost everything. If you get ~10 skill points from skill seeds for each character - without "almost" part.

Fred

Learned
Pretty much, although in VIII you can summon the arena monsters as complementary damage option; there were some pretty neat combos, albeit kinda unreliable, such as Triple Trouble with killing machines.

However, is the skill panel an improvement to the previous systems?. It allows flexibility or there is an obvious optimal path as many former DQ with tons of spells but with just a handful of useful ones?
Some characters have very obvious panel development, mostly physical attackers (even then this is more diversified than 8 imo), but characters with magic or lots of abilities have very different ways to go.

Fred

Learned
I need to think more of using party chat, in 4-5-6-7-8 it was often funny or useful (in some games they have something new to say after nearly every random NPC you talk to, Lunar 1 and 2 style), but now that there's a menu in between and it's not a single button press (and there's like a second or two of load time) I use this function a lot less, and when I used it they were just saying "we need to go there next". I'll try to think of using party chat a lot to see if they sometime say interesting stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom