Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Limit Theory - An Infinite, Procedural Space Game - DEAD

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's been obvious for years, is all I'm saying.

Yes, right about now is when smug morons armed with perfect hindsight show up and start criticizing people for not foreseeing the ultimate outcome from day one.

I wasn't sure if you were one of those before.

Curratum

I'm afraid the morons are the people who believed the game was coming out after the 2015 nervous breakdown update.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
This was the KS with the most potential and the one I had the most anticipation for. I have had a persistent doubt about the project since about mid-2014 when Josh Parnell started talking about stuff like node-based UIs and a custom scripting language (rather than, you know, the actual game), and his comeback in 2015 did nothing to alleviate that, but 2017-2018 were honestly looking fruitful, especially with the two additional team members to counterbalance Parnell's worst tendencies.

Assuming he survives this, it'll still be interesting to see what he does next. But suicide is always a possibility with exceptional minds such as his, and he has the additional disadvantage of actually caring.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm afraid the morons are the people who believed the game was coming out after the 2015 nervous breakdown update.

Bad omens or no, predicting failure doesn't count for much, since failure or a mediocre result (basically the same thing as failure) are by far the most likely outcomes in the context of crowdfunded games.

The Curratums of the world are almost never around to talk shit until after the fact. When you manage to not only predict that a project will fail, but also describe why it will fail, and do so BEFORE the fat lady sings, then you're in the clear to show up and gloat.

As it is, you're just some retarded newfag claiming to have thought something four years ago only after we all know the final outcome. It's probably better to say nothing at all than to toot your own horn in such an impotent way, but that's probably lost on you as well.

Unwanted

Slavegal

Unwanted
Dude writes an unmanageable Cpp codebase. Tries to write it again via code gen. :retarded: Roffles. Wizard.
vGKRtAm.png

But wait, I can also write it in C! And rewrite most useful abstractions to double the logic!
:lol:

Curratum

Bad omens or no, predicting failure doesn't count for much, since failure or a mediocre result (basically the same thing as failure) are by far the most likely outcomes in the context of crowdfunded games.

The Curratums of the world are almost never around to talk shit until after the fact. When you manage to not only predict that a project will fail, but also describe why it will fail, and do so BEFORE the fat lady sings, then you're in the clear to show up and gloat.

As it is, you're just some retarded newfag claiming to have thought something four years ago only after we all know the final outcome. It's probably better to say nothing at all than to toot your own horn in such an impotent way, but that's probably lost on you as well.

If you weren't thick as pig shit, you would understand that my original comment was just an innocent "well, that wasn't difficult to predict...", with no extra connotations, implied insults to backers or any claims to clairvoyance.

somehow i'm reminded of infinity. i probably wrote my first articles about it 15 years ago and i already knew it was a scam. every other year there's still a vague update (even if there's no website anymore) and people still believe it'll be finished sooner or later.
now we have kickstarter, the perfect tool for the modern thief. you make impossible promises and people throw money at you. it's like politics without extra steps.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Fast forward 17 years into the future: "It's coming out this summer,I just need to iron out a few bugs and rewrite the code to make the game compatible with Windows 16."

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that this is the case. He had an impressive prototype to show at the beginning of his Kickstarter and has been releasing progress videos ever since.

Skimming over a few superficial blurbs and deciding that the project is doomed because you believe the guy's too optimistic or flowery in his presentation indicates that 1.) you don't remember being young, 2.) you're a shallow idiot, or 3.) both.

Or perhaps it's just standard stress-relief shit-flinging at some game you otherwise don't care about, singling out something to nitpick? Codex's favorite pastime, no shame in it I reckon.
:shredder:

Couldn't help myself Blaine

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Fast forward 17 years into the future: "It's coming out this summer,I just need to iron out a few bugs and rewrite the code to make the game compatible with Windows 16."

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that this is the case. He had an impressive prototype to show at the beginning of his Kickstarter and has been releasing progress videos ever since.

Skimming over a few superficial blurbs and deciding that the project is doomed because you believe the guy's too optimistic or flowery in his presentation indicates that 1.) you don't remember being young, 2.) you're a shallow idiot, or 3.) both.

Or perhaps it's just standard stress-relief shit-flinging at some game you otherwise don't care about, singling out something to nitpick? Codex's favorite pastime, no shame in it I reckon.
:shredder:

Couldn't help myself Blaine

Not to worry—my wallet's been closed since long before this was posted, and so has almost everyone else's, with only a very few exceptions like PoE2.

Instead of having a small chance that a project like this might succeed, we can all celebrate the fact that there's virtually no chance, moving forward. At least you were able to taunt me for my inability to predict that a game's developer would have a nervous breakdown, though.

I think the saddest thing about Kickstarter in the context of games/RPGs is that it was all either:

1. Unknown entities (e.g. college grads or scam artists) who had either no experience (best case), understanding or intention (worst case) to actually make the game.

- OR -

2. Known entities (Obsidian, Larian, nXile, etc) who instead of using the platform to work on new ideas, chose to recreate 20 year old games, and even failed at that mostly.

Was it lack of imagination on their part? Or did their market research show that KS would not support anything other than nostalgia crap? I don't know, but it's all very disappointing.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow indeed. I hope he recovered, that kind of thing can scar you for life...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom