Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
After analysis my own messages in this post, I still doesn't understand why TwinkieGorilla started attacking me, but never mind. It's thing of a past, now.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
That shitty butthurt sjw writing is the scourge of all the modern games. No fucking chaotic or neutral guy will give two shits about how butthurt the little gnome parasite is! Ohhhh nooo he bullied her when they were kids.....ohhh what should we dooo??!?!?!?! Fuck off retard!!! Really want to kill all the retarded companions,thank god for the undead elf.

So you ignored part with "strong and independent" woman barbarian, but calling "SJW-writing" on part where authors was lack of understanding what alignment is (or more like part where you disagree with authors)... i think there a little error in your logic. I think there just a different views on good, evil, law & chaos, it's not SJW logic.
It's not that fucking hard.
Yeah, sure... *looks on tremendous amount of tomes about philosophy during of mankind's existing* No it's fucking hard and decisions never ever please everyone.

DnD Alignments and dialogs never worked perfectly in CRPGs.
There's too much room left for subjective interpretations of what fits and what doesn't.

Fallout's Karma and Reputations system is the best IMO.
I do agree that alignment system does NOT working in CRPG and not working for reason that you described. But I think this system sometimes not working in table top version too when people with different views starting arguing about certain decisions during session (fucking Lawful Good characters and their arguable decisions).

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I couldn't figure out why letting the kobolds be my subject was Chaotic-only. I realize they are probably Chaotic Evil in the manual but if they're going to swear allegiance to the barony... then surely that's Lawful? But on the other hand anyone who's played as or with a paladin knows that alignment is fucked generally and you just gotta go with whatever the DM says it means, in the end.

I would suggest turning off the alignment notifications in dialog and just pick whatever you want to say, unless you need to stay a specific alignment for whatever reason (cleric, etc)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, sure... *looks on tremendous amount of tomes about philosophy during of mankind's existing* No it's fucking hard and decisions never ever please everyone.
We're not talking about "tremendous amounts of tomes about philosophy during mankind's existing" or "please everyone". We're talking about the fictional representation of cosmic morality with defined parameters. You can call it Chaotic Blue vs. Ostentatious Marsupialism if it makes you feel better, it doesn't change the underlying facts, and one of the fundamental aspects of Alignment since the beginning was and is that too much of anything becomes fucking crazy.

"Good" doesn't mean good for you, and Lawful at it's extreme is unmoving and uncaring. This is not a philosophical debat on what constitutes a good person or "what is evil, anyway?". We know what is good and we know what is evil, because there's cosmic forces flat-out telling us, and the broad alignments are pre-defined. It doesn't matter whether others in-universe defines themselves as good, evil, team red or team blue. We know, and unless you're retarded, this is relatively easy to express through predefined dialogues and actions as part of a game, depending on context.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Baldur's Gate was always our beloved reference," said Shpilchevsky. "We strove to recreate the best feelings one may remember from playing this great game. It did not mean our only goal was to make a blunt copy of Baldur's Gate, but let us be honest, the 'Would Baldur's Gate be better with this stuff?' benchmark was applied almost to every new feature or piece of content we were considering."

This is why, despite any flaws KM has (and, it has them), this game is pretty damn good. It simply gets it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So you ignored part with "strong and independent" woman barbarian, but calling "SJW-writing" on part where authors was lack of understanding what alignment is (or more like part where you disagree with authors)... i think there a little error in your logic. I think there just a different views on good, evil, law & chaos, it's not SJW logic.
Nah i bitched about her retarded quest too. She is very annoying....at least the journo is not whining to me about his woes every five minutes. Also i don't have problem with strong women,i have problem with bad writing that makes me roll my eyes every five minutes. Still the writing is a lot better than deadfires tho.

Also i have problem with how little options i have in that dialogue,i can't bash the little whiny cunt over the head or even kick it out. Same with the barbarian bitch,you can't really be mean to her,because hurt feelz or something. :roll::roll::roll:

Mortmal

Arcane
There's too much room left for subjective interpretations of what fits and what doesn't.

Indeed , lawful good choice: eradicate all the trolls the kobolds and their families even after their king surrendered...err wait?!

DrLocrian

Educated
Finished act 1 and I think I have a crush on this game.

My Deadfire playthrough is stuck after Neketaka. :oops:

Codex Year of the Donut
The price for making custom companions is ridiculous at higher level. I imagine they will nerf that in the future. There is really no reason to set it that high.
really doesn't seem that high to me
what else are you guys spending your gold on? The only thing to buy is build points.

I'm level 7 and I can't afford to build a 6 man party using custom companions.

I only has around 25000 gold at the moment. Probably because I buy too much equipment and trinkets from the vendors.
I'm level 10 and nearing 400k gold

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The price for making custom companions is ridiculous at higher level. I imagine they will nerf that in the future. There is really no reason to set it that high.
really doesn't seem that high to me
what else are you guys spending your gold on? The only thing to buy is build points.

I'm level 7 and I can't afford to build a 6 man party using custom companions.

I only has around 25000 gold at the moment. Probably because I buy too much equipment and trinkets from the vendors.
I'm level 10 and nearing 400k gold
I am level 13 and don't care about money. Shame that the craftsman quests exists,they are vague and 50% of them are bugged.....also they are all fetch quests.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Indeed , lawful good choice: eradicate all the trolls the kobolds and their families even after their king surrendered...err wait?!
It seems to be implementing them in dialog as tyranny (law) vs egalitarianism (chaotic), which at least makes sense given the rulership theme... but then sometimes it isn't that, and if I'm a tyrant why can't I force these guys to kneel to me too if I want?

markus

Barely Literate
Alignment in D&D arises from its literary influences and also makes it so that every single character and creature in the game has a sort of preexisting set of affinities with the religions, gods, political groups, and the player characters. When you try to remove alignment from the game, you wind up with something that is less rooted in the traditions that actually made the hobby popular. "Appendix N" by Jeffro Johnson goes into some detail on this. I'm pretty sure everyone who has played D&D or similar games has complained about how silly the alignment system is at some point, but it has some good reasons for existing and persisting. When you try to take it away it unmoors players from what would otherwise be common reference points that helps them to immediately understand the strange and fantastic world they are being introduced to.

Now, game dialogue trees were a mistake. I think they were popular in the brief time window in which the internet was not popular but computer games were becoming popular. People who played Bioware RPGs in the early 2000s wanted the illusion of chatting with people while comfortably at home with their computers. Now everyone can talk with anyone on a computer at any time and it's no longer a weirdo niche thing done by people who know about newsgroups, IRC, and web forums. When Dragon Age was winning GOTY awards, Facebook had barely expanded outside of US colleges. The whole conceit of dialogue treeing with invisible computer friends has lost a lot of its luster and it's not just because 80% of the characters in mainstream RPGs written after the 2000s are gay and/or are girls with dicks. It just doesn't make for terribly interesting gameplay. The kinds of people who are fascinated by CYOA dialog choices are the kinds of people who are going to enjoy homosexual dating simulators much more than anything that involves challenging gameplay.

I think the idea that the market will reward games that are like movies or novels except better and with more interactive elements has also been generally disproven. Bioshock Infinite nearly brought its publisher under and caused the dissolution of that studio. XCOM/XCOM2 despite whatever missteps the second might have had showed that turn based RPGs with characters do not need those characters to have personalities expressed through dialogue. The top selling games may include some games with narrative elements like GTA but they tend to be otherwise dominated by plot-free games like Fortnite, PubG, and MOBAs. Even CoD has decided to remove its narrative component and is instead focusing entirely on the game aspect. The only people who really like story mode games at this point are games journalists who would rather be reviewing Netflix shows than playing games anyway.

That being said, a lot of the flavor choices are interesting and if the Kingdom system were more fleshed out, alignment and the advisors you choose would also come into play in more interesting ways. I said it before but I think this type of game would do better with the player making up as much story as he wants in his head and instead focusing more on fleshing out the world and the systems instead of having quirky gnomes talk to you about their magazines and goth elves complain about being undead while the player continues to be frustrated by only getting assigned a team of gimpy midgets and bikini barbarians with Toughness.

Curratum

Good grief, the absolute cunt on PC Gamer who gave BT4 an 84 now rated PF:KM a 69.

Judging by the content of both reviews, PC Gamer's balding cucks hadn't played either game but Fargo didn't forget to send a paycheck along with the review code.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Good grief, the absolute cunt on PC Gamer who gave BT4 an 84 now rated PF:KM a 69.

Judging by the content of both reviews, PC Gamer's balding cucks hadn't played either game but Fargo didn't forget to send a paycheck along with the review code.

69 is the ultimate cuck score it shows he doesn't know what to make of this game and is afraid to give it the good 70 score but doesn't want to anger the fans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said before release:

It's a problem that that many games that are perceived as "low-rent clones" suffer from. The gaming journalists think they're boring and unimportant. That means not only less pre-release coverage, but also a risk of getting edgier reviews post-release.

"Is this a game that I consider important, prestigious or groundbreaking? No? Then I'm not even going to bother to think about it hard enough to consider giving it more than a 7/10." Many such cases!

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Games journalism is a joke but it still makes me rage that they can ignore/give shitty reviews to a game that is clearly the biggest incline we have had in years.

"A good RPG with some unique ideas, but one that ultimately plays it too safe to really stand out from the crowd." And this is just next level braindead statement from a parasitic hack.

Anyway true classics that stand the test of time are always hated or ignored by the general populace, so this just further cements Kingmakers :obviously:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Really hate rpgs where they make all the body/armour slots and then don't add any items for half the slots. Boots and gloves are practically non-existent in this game. I found two pair of boots and that was it.

Thonius

Arcane
Games journalism is a joke but it still makes me rage that they can ignore/give shitty reviews to a game that is clearly the biggest incline we have had in years.

"A good RPG with some unique ideas, but one that ultimately plays it too safe to really stand out from the crowd." And this is just next level braindead statement from a parasitic hack.

Anyway true classics that stand the test of time are always hated or ignored by the general populace, so this just further cements Kingmakers :obviously:.
Well it's actually selling quiet well, sue we do not know condition of Paiza deal, but it's already outsold deadfire and price of RU devs lower that Californian devs.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
LH7l2Hb.png

Jinn

Arcane

Luckily it seems it's not getting too ignored. Still have ~15,000 concurrent players on steam today. Pretty good for a Monday.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I would suggest turning off the alignment notifications in dialog and just pick whatever you want to say, unless you need to stay a specific alignment for whatever reason (cleric, etc)

How the fuck do I do that?!?!?

Also, anyone else sad for the Stag Lord and his dad story :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom