Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which is better,PK or PoE: Dumpsterfire?

Choose your poison!

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
2018, the year most of the Codex chose meat and potatoes generic tradfant over extremely flawed attempts at being experimental (Deadfire, Tides of Numenera).

BG-hating Classic Codex would be aghast.
I don't like BG and i think Kingmaker is fantastic you pleb

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In a thread where people are asked to favourite one of two RTwP games some people who hate RTwP have somehow managed to turn up and turn the thread into a TB or RTwP debate. Nice trolling. I look forward to the next Grimoire vs Wiz 7 thread where I'll spam the opinion that both games would be better if they were isometric...
That would be me. Thank you for the recognition, it's nice to feel appreciated.
And I officially welcome You to try the thing you mentioned.
:positive:
Well i do get you mate,it is not like you have anything else to do. While we have some nice games to enjoy,you could only troll since the only noticeable TB game was DOS2.:smug:
I still have dozens of older and newer CRPGs I haven't played. Unlike You I don't believe a game must be "noticeable" to be enjoyable. I couldn't care less if a game is being "noticed" or not. And I still haven't finished Grimoire. :smug: Checkmate.

Having said that, I actually do enjoy Kingmaker, as I many times said, I think it does tons of things very well. Just not that one particular design decision to make combat rtwp. So it would seem that YOU have less to play than me because once you finish Kingmaker you will have to revert to playing the other "noticeable" rtwp game - Deadfire. Checkmate x2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In a thread where people are asked to favourite one of two RTwP games some people who hate RTwP have somehow managed to turn up and turn the thread into a TB or RTwP debate. Nice trolling. I look forward to the next Grimoire vs Wiz 7 thread where I'll spam the opinion that both games would be better if they were isometric...
Well i do get you mate,it is not like you have anything else to do. While we have some nice games to enjoy,you could only troll since the only noticeable TB game was DOS2.:smug:
I still have dozens of older and newer CRPGs I haven't played. Unlike You I don't believe a game must be "noticeable" to be enjoyable. I couldn't care less if a game is being "noticed" or not. And I still haven't finished Grimoire. :smug: Checkmate.

Having said that, I actually do enjoy Kingmaker, as I many times said, I think it does tons of things very well. Just not that one particular design decision to make combat rtwp. So it would seem that YOU have less to play than me because once you finish Kingmaker you will have to revert to playing the other "noticeable" rtwp game - Deadfire. Checkmate x2.
As i said before,don't care about system as long a the game is good. I don't have backlog because i have finished everything i was truly interested in:smug:. Still i do find something interesting that i have missed from time to time.

Also i fail to see how the fact that you don't play much rpg is some kind of badge of honour,a brave accomplishment.

As for the notability...well one of the most prized RPGs in my book is "Laxius Power". Doubt that more than 5% of codexers have even heard about the game/s let alone finish it/them. Being such TB fan,have you even played games like "Grotesque Tactics" or "Dwarf run"? :smug:

This thread and this poll is basically a textbook example on how to create biased polls and surveys. I think it does almost every single faux pas in statistics.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This thread and this poll is basically a textbook example on how to create biased polls and surveys. I think it does almost every single faux pas in statistics.
While what you say is true, the poll and the OP is just intentionally written in a trollish manner. You'd know if you weren't new around here.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Go on.

Real talk I'd actually love to know if the fact every single Codex poll contains the Kingcomrade option at the end is statistically valid or not. The amount of money my boss has spent based on the frankly bullshit surveymonkey polls I've created over the years is honestly well into the latter half of the 6 figures.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
While what you say is true, the poll and the OP is just intentionally written in a trollish manner. You'd know if you weren't new around here.
I would prefer it to be a codexian or provocative way,but still do agree ;).

Puteo

Learned
I assume "KC" stands for Insomnia - The ArKC
Is the game any good? I don't have time to give it a try because of kingmaker.

Very good. It's like a mashup of Gothic and Fallout with incredible art and tons of unique content along with the sort of old-school game mechanics that the codex loves busting out of every seam.

The problem is that right now it has a bunch of bugs, I personally ran into a showstopper bug about 12 hours in. Up to that point the worst I experienced was some missing translations on a map and framedrops in an area with a lot of NPCs.

Otherwise, it's a complete game that's going to be a classic once it get fixed.

Or if it gets fixed. Their sales don't look very good right now as they're getting slammed in steam reviews for having the audacity not to include objective markers in the game

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
2018, the year most of the Codex chose meat and potatoes generic tradfant over extremely flawed attempts at being experimental (Deadfire, Tides of Numenera).

BG-hating Classic Codex would be aghast.
I don't like BG and i think Kingmaker is fantastic you pleb

Agreed, I have always been pretty meh about the BG series, but I am digging PK, mostly because it feels like it has heart and soul, and some balls to actually take risks eg. difficulty.

Compared to the diluted and compromised pap we are getting from Fargo and Sawyer conglomerate.

Guys, TB does not automatically equal better combat than RtwP every time.
No it does. RTwP is an abomination that poisons everything it touches.
I actually used to believe this too, but with extensive auto-pause options and slow down or speed up arrows I think it can be done very well and I enjoy it. I would say in theory the very best turn based (Jagged Alliance, ToEE for example) will be above the best designed RTwP, but not by all that much. This is an opinion my past self would never believe to be possible-I was quite militant in my position as well.

My all time dream would be a game that had both a top notch RtWP and Turn based system and that one could switch back and forth as they please depending on the fight or even with in a particular battle--perhaps someday?

pathfinder kingmaker for me,simple because its based on a existing pnp (and they have made a pretty good job implementing the rules).
wish they didnt follow the source art style THAT close......

I honestly feel they tried to deviate from the art style as much as they felt they could get away with. perhaps I am just hopeful that this is the case, but I surprisingly am enjoying the art style and graphics more than I imagined I would.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Let's address 2 things in this failed thread:

1) RTwP is a great system, and if done correctly is a vast improvement over turn based. IE games's system was essentially turn based with autopressed "end turn" that you could disable or configure in the options. All the calculations were still turn based under the hood. If you wanted to turn BG into a pure turn based game, you could in the options. Of course it would take centuries to finish a battle because DnD is slow, but you could if you were an autistic mazochist like all those turn based lovers. The fact that they didn't speaks volumes about their intelligence, their lazyness, and their lack of honesty...

2) It is too early to really make a judgement on Kingmaker. RPGs are huge, and you need lots of time so many people can 100% them, try out of the box things, etc. Then and only then the community can pass judgement on a big RPG. All i see now is hype from certain people who are probably secret popamolers judging by how easily they get hyped by something they haven't played, or barely played. Perhaps a guerilla marketing campaign? What profiles support Kingmaker and are Russian? :P

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Also pathfinder should be compared with poe 1 pre 3.0,anything else justs delutes the obvious facts.

Found the Russian.... Of course the Russian supports Pathfinder against POE, and makes an utterly retarded comment. Why compare only with pre 3.0? If you want to play PoE now, you play it at 3.0, no? This is the game POE is now. This is how the game is.

Do we have any reassurance that the russians will make a "3.0" version of Kingmaker, add expansions, etc? From what i know from russian developer history, they tend to abandon their games in a semi broken state. Kingmaker won't be different.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So you will compare a game at its release with one that received a buttload of patches?whos the fanboy now?

This is not a fairness contest. We are not trying to be "fair to the poor developers who tried". We are judging the end products, the stuff we are going to play right now on our PCs.

Also, this comparison makes the assumption that Kingmaker will see the same amount of post launch support that PoE did. We have no guarantees this will happen. We have no guarantees that they will vastly improve their game and alter their game post launch, or include expansions.

When you pass judgement on a game, you do it based on NOW, not on hypothetical improvements a game will make in the future (especially from an unknown developer). If that was the case, why not make the assumption that Obsidian will make a 4.0 version of Deadfire and will make it 10000x times better than Kingmaker?

This is beyond retarded.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's address 2 things in this failed thread:

1) RTwP is a great system, and if done correctly is a vast improvement over turn based. IE games's system was essentially turn based with autopressed "end turn" that you could disable or configure in the options. All the calculations were still turn based under the hood. If you wanted to turn BG into a pure turn based game, you could in the options. Of course it would take centuries to finish a battle because DnD is slow, but you could if you were an autistic mazochist like all those turn based lovers. The fact that they didn't speaks volumes about their intelligence, their lazyness, and their lack of honesty...

2) It is too early to really make a judgement on Kingmaker. RPGs are huge, and you need lots of time so many people can 100% them, try out of the box things, etc. Then and only then the community can pass judgement on a big RPG. All i see now is hype from certain people who are probably secret popamolers judging by how easily they get hyped by something they haven't played, or barely played. Perhaps a guerilla marketing campaign? What profiles support Kingmaker and are Russian? :P
3) 9 times out of 10, you should disregard anything said by obvious tryhards.

This is not a fairness contest. We are not trying to be "fair to the poor developers who tried". We are judging the end products, the stuff we are going to play right now on our PCs.

Also, this comparison makes the assumption that Kingmaker will see the same amount of post launch support that PoE did. We have no guarantees this will happen. We have no guarantees that they will vastly improve their game and alter their game post launch, or include expansions.

When you pass judgement on a game, you do it based on NOW, not on hypothetical improvements a game will make in the future (especially from an unknown developer). If that was the case, why not make the assumption that Obsidian will make a 4.0 version of Deadfire and will make it 10000x times better than Kingmaker?

This is beyond retarded.

I guess you can make a logical reason to be skeptical to the end of time if you want. Whatever floats your boat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haven't played Kingmaker yet. Plan to... eventually. When the game is more stable, has received some patches and I have more time.

Meanwhile I'm having great fun with PoE2, its broken class combos and powerful magics and artifacts.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

As i said before,don't care about system as long a the game is good. I don't have backlog because i have finished everything i was truly interested in:smug:. Still i do find something interesting that i have missed from time to time.

Also i fail to see how the fact that you don't play much rpg is some kind of badge of honour,a brave accomplishment.

As for the notability...well one of the most prized RPGs in my book is "Laxius Power". Doubt that more than 5% of codexers have even heard about the game/s let alone finish it/them. Being such TB fan,have you even played games like "Grotesque Tactics" or "Dwarf run"? :smug:
Why did you play all those not "noticeable" games then? In previous post You argued that I don't have any "noticeable" TB games to play - which assumes I should care about the game being noticed. But now when I pointed how how silly of an argument that is, all of a sudden the same argument doesn't apply to You. How do you call such attitude when one applies some standards to others but not to himself, I wonder.
Won't answer to the other poor troll's trolling attempts because you are getting a bit monotonous. Be careful you might end as oneself one day and you really don't want that, trust me.
I will however answer your question (falsely) assuming that it was made in good faith because I can't wrap my head why would anyone be such a moron to consider such question edgy. Yes, I did play "Dwarf Run". And no, I haven't played "Grotesque Tactics". Is Grotesque Tactics any good? Even the prestigious Codex magazine mostly ignored it (such an un-noticeable game, right?) but I'm willing to hear your opinion about it.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Clearly i was shitposting at you,because you pissed me off with that "Muh TB is thu best,rtwp is shite". No self respecting codexer will say see "noticeable" as serious thing.

And yeah,my questions were half serious. For Grotesque Tactics....well i don't really remember,it was like 10 years ago. The second game was better tho. I remember that i did enjoy the writing,i found it funny,still if i play it now i could be on different opinion.

Also i find it disheartening that the codex cares more about trash like poe and dos than such indi rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom