Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://hogwartslegacy.warnerbrosgames.com

:necro:

Set in the 19th Century (1800's) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power. Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins o brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences. On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny - the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES
- Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types -Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding world.
- Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
- Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time.
- Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
- Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9kmudg/unannounced_harry_potter_rpg_has_killing_and/

Set in the 19th Century (1800's) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power.

Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins o brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny - the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES
  • Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types.
  • Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding World.
  • Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
  • Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time.
  • Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
  • Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...ced_harry_potter_rpg_has_killing_and/e70mmq1/

ITs leaked as in I went into a room for a focus group, took a sneak video, and uploaded it. This isn't some marketing ploy. If you notice the bottom right corner of the video, its censored because it has a serial number identifying me so WB can sue the ever living shit out of me

https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotte...ounced_harry_potter_rpg_has_crafting/e70dmgg/

Ahahahahahaha let me record? Nooooooo they did not let me record. I snuck a video. I have the video and the description of the game but that is it. BUT while they had everyone else sign NDAs I guess I left before they remembered I needed to sign one too

It was one of those mall survey groups. I wasn't allowed to have the camera. The signs in the lobby say no phones but no one checked me. The guys who did all the paperwork looked like they gave zero fucks about their jobs and were getting anyone and everyone who would do the viewing to do it. I got paid to watch it

:avatard:

Ayreos

Augur
It's probably late 19th century, since there aren't any black slaves in the trailer (Or do they only keep superior house elves in the setting?) and you can pick brown for your skin tone.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Some people saying that it might be made by Avalanche in the thread. Solid chance that might be the case, as Avalanche is working for the highest bidder at the moment.

Rumor: Harry Potter open-world action RPG focus test video leaked

In development at Avalanche Software?

Harry-Potter-Leak-Rumor_10-02-18.jpg

A one-minute video of an alleged Harry Potter open-world action RPG currently in development has surfaced online.

The footage was posted on Reddit by user VapeThisBro, who claimed the footage was recorded during a focus test. While cameras and phones were not permitted, the user said he was never checked or given a non-disclosure agreement to sign.

The following fact sheet was provided:

About

Set in the 19th Century (1800s) Wizarding World, this third-person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived fifth year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power.

Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins to brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts, you will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny. The Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

Key Features

• Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types.
  • Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding World.
  • Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
  • Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time.
  • Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
  • Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films.

In April 2017, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment was seeking senior writers “with a deep understanding of British culture and grammatical presentation” for its Avalanche Software studio, suggesting the Disney Infinity developer could be responsible for the alleged Harry Potter title.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/rumor-harry-potter-open-world-action-rpg-focus-test-video-leaked

In April 2017, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment was seeking senior writers “with a deep understanding of British culture and grammatical presentation” for its Avalanche Software studio, suggesting the Disney Infinity developer could be responsible for the alleged Harry Potter title.

Warner Bros. working on mysterious British-themed AAA RPG

Unpopular Opinion: It's a Robin Hood game.

Back in 2016 Warner Bros. acquired Avalanche Software from Disney and since then, Avalanche developed the upcoming Cars 3 game. Warner Bros. is setting their sites on the future now and a new job listing shows that they are going for something 'British.'

Warner Bros. is looking for a Senior Game Writer to work at Avalanche Software (not to be confused with Avalanche Studios, the folks behind Just Cause) who will bring a "deep understanding of British culture" to the Story team.

As part of the writer's responsibilities, Warner Bros. further pushed the must have Britishness on potential writers, detailing that one of the responsibilities, in particular, was to "Provide British authenticity to the tone of the project."

The job listing goes on to detail that the game will be an AAA game, be an RPG with branching storytelling, and use Unreal Engine 4.

Now, this game could be a couple things. Warner Bros. tends to develop games that run in line with their film lineup. Warner Bros.' more British list of films is a bit shorter than their DC lineup but includes King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (unreleased), Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Sherlock Holmes, and Harry Potter.

Of course, the internet is clamoring for a Harry Potter game, but there's one more movie to add to the list… Robin Hood. Back in 2016, Warner Bros. revealed a that they planned on working on a Robin Hood film – so the jury is out on this one.

What is Warner Bros. making?

Explorerbc

Arcane
They should make a Bully game taking place in Hogwarts.

Footage reminds me of that picture where every current-gen game has the same type of brown woods environment. I guess we better be ready to climb some towers and capture outposts.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh boi can't wait for inevitable Waypoint article on how "Harry Potter game is problematic" because these little Slytherin piece of shit would make racist remark towards player if they picked mudblood as origin.

Don't care what others day but I am excited.
Wonder how they balance avada kedavra.
Watch them make all spells have a mana cost and put the AK spell on like a ridiculous cost number.

Cross

Arcane
Something tells me your most powerful ability will not be any kind of spell, but a dodge roll with generous invincibility frames.

Last edited:

Bocian

Arcane
It might be possible that it's the publisher's attempt at creative marketing, and the whole 'leak' thing is fake to give the whole thing more publicity. Pretty nice try, if so.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Warner Bros. is shutting it down. Mirrors can still be easily found though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It might be possible that it's the publisher's attempt at creative marketing, and the whole 'leak' thing is fake to give the whole thing more publicity. Pretty nice try, if so.
Kinda doubt it in this situation. Announcing a game this late into the year is pretty pointless and they would get way more attention if they just announced it as usual in E3.

deuxhero

Arcane
Should have started at 4th or 3rd year instead of 5th. Pairing "sudden magical prodigy" with puberty makes more sense than mid teens. Has any western game ever had a true character creator (more a handful of presets you combine or "you can enter 2 as your age and the game doesn't do anything") that explicitly let you make a child (or even younger teen)? Only things I can think of are The Sims, being The Sims, and City of Heroes with its anything goes character creation.

It's probably late 19th century, since there aren't any black slaves in the trailer (Or do they only keep superior house elves in the setting?) and you can pick brown for your skin tone.

India was under British control by the 19th century. I have absolutely no doubt they're going to use that to force brown people in. Late 19th century has the big problem in that it means the cartridge revolver is in play. Even the presence of percussion revolvers like the Colt Dragoon (1848) and the wildly popular Navy (1851) put "Why don't they just shoot him?" into play. Before then (especially before pepperboxes in the 1930s) it's easy to convince the audience the Brown Bess is too clumbersome for taking down a single man you aren't prepared for. Of course post 1868 you could have fun with the idea that the Meiji era brings the Abe (no Seimei) family out of seclusion and their unwillingness to just submit to the Ministry of Magic.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Thanks to woke mania, it's confirmed that this footage was real: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...me-developers-rattled-by-j-k-rowling-backlash

Some Harry Potter Game Developers Rattled by J.K. Rowling Backlash
Despite rebukes of the author and a possible sale of the game studio, development of the highly anticipated project remains on track.

One of the most anticipated video games is one whose existence has yet to be acknowledged by its publisher, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It’s a big-budget Harry Potter game that will let players role-play as wizards and roam a vast, open-world re-creation of Hogwarts and its surrounding areas.

The long-rumored project is very real, according to two people currently working on it. The game is in development at a Warner Bros.-owned studio, Avalanche Software in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is scheduled for release late next year for platforms including the upcoming Sony Corp. PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Corp. Xbox Series X, said the people, who requested anonymity over fears they would be fired for speaking publicly about an unannounced game.

Harry Potter is among the highest-profile projects within Warner Bros. Interactive, along with a Batman game that is in the works. Footage from a very early version of the untitled game began circulating in 2018. That video was authentic, but most of the rumors that have come out since are not, said one of the people working on it. Despite a series of challenges—a global pandemic, a fierce backlash against the franchise’s creator, a possible sale of the Warner Bros. video game publishing business—the game remains on track for next year, the person said.

Within the team, though, some anxiety surrounds the work. The studio’s management has not addressed recent comments from the author J.K. Rowling that were widely viewed as transphobic, the people said. The situation made some members of the team uncomfortable and sparked private discussions among staff over the pandemic water cooler, the workplace communication app Slack.

Spokespeople for AT&T Inc.’s Warner Bros. Interactive and Rowling declined to comment.

Rowling, 54, is a near-inextricable part of the wizardry franchise she conjured more than two decades ago. She continues to play a role in most projects associated with the Harry Potter brand, and the game is no exception. However, one of the people working on the game stressed that Rowling has very little direct involvement.

Rowling has courted controversy on Twitter in the past, but this month, she made her most inflammatory comments yet. On June 6, Rowling tweeted criticism of an article that used the phrase “people who menstruate” to differentiate between those who were born women and those who transitioned. Later, the author expanded on her thoughts in an essay on her website, writing that “the ‘inclusive’ language that calls female people ‘menstruators’ and ‘people with vulvas’ strikes many women as dehumanising and demeaning.”

The result was that many transgender people felt demeaned, and the comments were denounced by fans and collaborators. Cast members from the Harry Potter series, including Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, said they disagreed with Rowling’s stance, and Warner Bros. responded by touting its “inclusive culture.”

Many fans are attempting to reconcile their love of the fantasy series with its author’s beliefs, which they find repugnant. On Reddit, there’s a 6,000-member community dedicated to the yet-to-be-announced Harry Potter game. The usual exchange of rumors and wish lists that takes place there was derailed this month by debate over Rowling’s statements. The forum’s editors posted a declaration that they “firmly stand in disagreement with the opinions stated in those tweets” and that fans should avoid discussing them.

The Rowling controversy is likely to diminish some anticipation for the game, said Felicia Grady, managing editor of the popular Harry Potter fan site MuggleNet. “Based on what I’ve seen from fans, I do believe that Rowling’s comments have had some effect on the level of excitement they have for the Harry Potter RPG or other upcoming content,” Grady wrote in an email. “We’ve seen comments from fans who no longer wish to support Rowling or the brand financially.”

The potential sale of Warner Bros. Interactive would have an even greater impact on the game’s future, said Matthew Kanterman, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Pricy projects are the most at risk of cancellation in the event of a sale, he said, “especially something like this that has been in the works for years.” CNBC, which reported two weeks ago on talks to sell the AT&T-owned gaming unit, said a deal wasn’t imminent.

Warner Bros. had originally planned to announce the Harry Potter game during a news conference at the trade show E3 in June, according to people familiar with the plans. When E3 was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the publisher’s marketing roadmap shifted.

The new plan is to unveil the Batman game in August at a digital event called DC FanDome, and the Harry Potter game will be revealed later, a person with knowledge of the plans said. The person said those plans were made before Rowling’s comments.

Deleted member 7219

Will be interesting to see if this gets cancelled due to developers caving in to the sudden "fact" that humans aren't a sexually dimorphic species after all, and you can be a man who menstruates and gives birth, women can have penises, and women with vaginas are all TERFs who should shut the fuck up.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Literally a few years ago the preaching was that man and woman were cultural terms and flexible, unlike male and female which were not. Now if you say female is a specific term, you're "widely criticized and repugnant." None of this is true of course, 95% of humanity doesn't give two shits, but gotta get them outrage clicks.

The internet was a mistake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom