Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, no more gogmixes. No more pesky reminders about region locks, missing features or out-of-date builds on the game page!

Your GoGMix is so good I bookmarked it, and the bookmark is still valid, so they're still on the site... just not visible from the relevant game pages. :(

The only change I like is the separate ratings for owners and non-owners. I like it because the scores for actual owners is frequently far lower than the overall score.:smug:

This is the only positive change I've seen so far, though I haven't mucked about much with the new changes.

Dux

Arcane
Not sure how I like the new changes but I'm not too bothered, to be honest. Picked up that bundle with Kingdom Come, Shadow Tactics and Battle Chasers. A very good deal, if you ask me.

Also in the future I would like GOG to expand the capabilities of customising the library, allowing the user to sort and tidy it all up after one's own tastes. For example being able to create easily accessed sections within the library, such as a LucasArts section, Gold Box section etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The new site layout is pure cancer. Why can't they have two site designs, one for desktop and one for mobile versions like all the normal sites have?

Because the "normal" sites are doing the same exact thing: Create a mobile layout and have it apply to everything.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm already beyond the point of hoping that they'll ever improve in their site's design. It's been spiralling since 2012. Deal with it boys. :(

Glad to see SoF 1 and 2 making their way to GOG. Absolute classics, with SoF2 possibly being Raven's last good game (unlike the majority of Codexers, I hated Wolfenstein 2009 with its health regen and popamole level design). In fact, I've always maintained that the only thing that would make SoF2 better is the return of SoF1's gonzo weapons. but eh, OICW will have to do.

lightbane

Arcane
Ugh, they changed the design again, replacing most text in the main page with enormous/awful pictures. Is the average consumer unable to read anymore or what?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
:abyssgazer:

It's like someone on the webdev team said "You know what? Words are stupid! Let's get rid of those! Let's put pictures everywhere instead."

edit: Hovering your cursor over one of those huge-ass pictures will autostart a youtube video. WTF!!!!! Just WTF... who comes up with sick ideas like that? Jesus Christ...

Their "Curated Collections" are the cherry on top. Particularly the one on the bottom right

hahaha2.jpg

Kind of explains it all.

Last edited:

Curratum

It's like someone on the webdev team said "You know what? Words are stupid! Let's get rid of those! Let's put pictures everywhere instead."

edit: Hovering your cursor over a one of those huge-ass pictures will autostart a youtube video. WTF!!!!! Just WTF... who comes up with sick ideas like that? Jesus Christ...
Nothing's auto-starting for me...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is some irony in this mess.

Old games are hard to play these days (for most folks) because they were designed by people who knew jack shit about ergonomy, sense, comfort or " ho to play better and faster without fighting with interface"/

Now history repeats itself, for web designs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, just noticed the listing looks a mess with all the big box pictures. I used to like to hit “on-sale” “popular” “new up n coming”

Now it’s annoying... and not even all on one page. Sigh......

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They improved the reviews at least. Now you can see the newest. They seem to have rejiggered the ranking of the reviews, though, and now we have a four-star review on the Primordia front page. As a data nerd I like being able to see how much ratings are being inflated or pushed down by ratings from reviews people who don’t own the game on GOG. Looks like Primordia and other WEG titles get about a .2 inflation. The recent by-Star Control game is being driven way down by non-owners, by contrast.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
They improved the reviews at least.

And broke a whole bunch of stuff in the process. For example, all the original paragraph breaks are gone, turning reviews into a single, painful to read block of text. Basic functionality such as editing your review is still missing.

Browsing the catalogue also got a massive overhaul, yet they didn't bother implement crucial features like simply hiding the games you already own - a feature that would be even more welcome now, since browsing the catalogue has become major pain in the ass with those huge-ass tiles (and with no option to display the catalogue as a list, which gog had before).

They seem to have rejiggered the ranking of the reviews, though

They didn't rejigger the ranking of the reviews, they simply lost quite a few of them when the redesign went live.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeesh, really? That’s terrible. I always appreciate the work people put into reviews, particularly on GOG.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I always wanted the option to just open up reviews and read the slog on a single page even if there were 50 pages.

I don’t recall if it says “owned” now or just “in library.” There’s also wishlist notation.

Funny it says 331 games but when I hit collection it jumps to 365. No biggie.

I wish when I clicked on my wishlist it would label the “on-sale” and % off. I like quick reference when deciding what to waste my $ on. Guess I’ll mention that to GoG.

Can’t scroll pictures or vids as easy on mobile like before. During search on mobile I had my inquiry keep erasing.

Koschey

Arcane
I wish when I clicked on my wishlist it would label the “on-sale” and % off. I like quick reference when deciding what to waste my $ on. Guess I’ll mention that to GoG.

It already does. You can filter out games not on sale by selecting Price -> Discounted as a filter. The size of the discount is displayed right next to the price. I think it doesn't consider special bundles though.

Clink

Educated

edit: Hovering your cursor over one of those huge-ass pictures will autostart a youtube video. WTF!!!!! Just WTF... who comes up with sick ideas like that? Jesus Christ...

Their "Curated Collections" are the cherry on top. Particularly the one on the bottom right

hahaha2.jpg

Kind of explains it all.

Ugh, they changed the design again, replacing most text in the main page with enormous/awful pictures. Is the average consumer unable to read anymore or what?

Get over it. The new generation of "web designers" has got the power.
Very soon this kind of shit will be everywhere.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
5G in yo brain picture style.

Funny, I bought an MP3 player and it was all pictures. If you’re only able to navigate via pics how the fuck are you even able to choose a playlist?

Latro

Arcane
all GOG needed was to arrange reviews from newest-to-oldest in descending order, instead they paid some chump a few grand and possibly even more to fuck everything up

Clink

Educated
all GOG needed was to arrange reviews from newest-to-oldest in descending order, instead they paid some chump a few grand and possibly even more to fuck everything up

No one cares about improvement of existing things anymore, something new (no matter good or crappy) is where the money flow to. "Innovations" they call it.

More massive decline over on gog : If you bought any of the 10th Anniversary Collections, be aware that duplicate codes will EXPIRE after two weeks. After some users inquired on the forum about whether this is a bug, gog "graciously" extended that expiry date to two months.

If you got any gift codes out of those 10th Anniversary Collections, you should check when yours expire. This sets a baaaaad precedent, I believe this is the first time gog put an expiry date on paid-for codes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom