Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of RPGs with base management mechanics

nobre

Cipher
Lite: Jagged Alliance 2.

Lite because you can complete the game going straight to Meduna. If you don't do that however, there's some base-building to do in the form of training militia. Also, land mines and preparing remote-triggered explosives. Now in the base game, you probably won't use that a lot, but with 1.13 mod and all counter-attacks enabled, you will get serious attacks on your towns. With difficulty level high enough, preparing your defenses becomes important if you want to hold on to your towns with minimal manpower allocation, because you get constant attacks on your towns, even after the big counterattack. Apparently, there are also tripwires, clay-mores, sandbags and concertina wires, but I have never tried those.

laclongquan

Arcane

Lite because you can complete the game going straight to Meduna. If you don't do that however, there's some base-building to do in the form of training militia. Also, land mines and preparing remote-triggered explosives. Now in the base game, you probably won't use that a lot, but with 1.13 mod and all counter-attacks enabled, you will get serious attacks on your towns. With difficulty level high enough, preparing your defenses becomes important if you want to hold on to your towns with minimal manpower allocation, because you get constant attacks on your towns, even after the big counterattack. Apparently, there are also tripwires, clay-mores, sandbags and concertina wires, but I have never tried those.

At critical paths you can mine them AND flag them, so that enemies can go around the obvious minefield. Waaaaaa, instant fence. If you have sniper with great rifle you can have one or two overlook those fence and deal with that force while the others deal with invaders in the other corner.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good thread. Maybe add a "main feature but not a RPG" category for all the strategy games with character progression? HoMM etc., maybe also add State of Decay to such category.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Main: mount and blade warband

The pirates games from akella should work too if the ship and its crew count as a base.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Main: mount and blade warband

The pirates games from akella should work too if the ship and its crew count as a base.
Once you've completed a nation's questline or a pirate questline, you can take over settlements too.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd maybe consider Divinity Original Sin for Lite. The Shelter Plane was a base which you built up over time where you rendezvoused with some inportant characters, where able to learn skills, buy resources, and it was the scene for an important battle

Good thread idea btw

Yosharian

Arcane
I fucking hate the base building in Fallout 4. Even Sim Settlements isn't that good. The only really good thing that mod does is the automation part that allows you to essentially say fuck off to settlement building.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Core: hinterland (Diablo like where you build your town)
Important:
Din's curse, depths of perils, etc...
Diablo like, mostly about managing factions rather than your settlement.

Not really RPG
Settlements, Thea(2 management RPG where you rebuild civilization with a small group of people)
The guild: hybrid of RPG management and UI torture

laclongquan

Arcane

You can mine THEN mark the mine to block obvious route and channel them into fire zones. Or you can mortar that area to trigger the mines to explode anyway.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Also:
Main: Legends of Elaria (Early Access): ARPG where you manage a kingdom
Important (or main feature?) : Ni No Kuni (action RPG where you have to rebuild your kingdom)

Medium: Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs (tactical RPG where you rebuild your castle. It is mostly through interacting with the staff, though).

Light: Monster's Den: Goldfall: You get a few upgrades in your base iirc.
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming: same as above. You can build some stuff in your base, which gives you a few bonuses.

Not really RPG: King Arthur: The Role Playing wargame (it has RPG in the name, so it must count! It is basically total war with heroes that are more fleshed out than Warhammer TW heroes).

I made a thread on reddit about kingdom management RPG. Some entries might be worth looking (but I am not too sure which ones really count as RPG).

Some space games with RPGish features (Starpoint Gemini 2, Starpoint Gemini Warlords, even the X series) could count too.

There also are a few other rimworld like games:
Survivalist(build a base and protect if from zombies).
judgment(same but with demons).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom