Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh yeah, the no bullshit opening has grown on me since i started playing it.

At first, i thought "this doesnt do a good job giving us the exposition, motives, etc just straight out to action, i barely understand anyting"

But since you can screw up, and have to/can do another playtrough, think it is for the best. There arent 30 minutes unskippable dialogue, to explain the mechanics or the story, which is gonna be intolerable for anythin after the first try.

Plus the diary did it well i think, brief and to the point with no bullshit cutscene and other crap. i dont think the diary exist when i played the alpha.

So yeah, great job, i will write a steam review after i played at least 10 hour or so.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Oh yeah, the no bullshit opening has grown on me since i started playing it.

At first, i thought "this doesnt do a good job giving us the exposition, motives, etc just straight out to action, i barely understand anyting"

But since you can screw up, and have to/can do another playtrough, think it is for the best. There arent 30 minutes unskippable dialogue, to explain the mechanics or the story, which is gonna be intolerable for anythin after the first try.

Plus the diary did it well i think, brief and to the point with no bullshit cutscene and other crap. i dont think the diary exist when i played the alpha.

So yeah, great job, i will write a steam review after i played at least 10 hour or so.

The diary just appeared in V29 (I think). Really needed a way to bridge the initial encounter, to Sam actively going after the gangs. I'd expect to add more diary entries in the future, it's vastly less time consuming than adding encounters. Some of the more complex ones took almost a day to add and debug!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Well, you just sold another copy.

Reading the threads here and looking at the Steam forums, I'm amazed you seem to take the time to respond to every single message about this game. Is it one person responding to everything or is it a team?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The diary just appeared in V29 (I think). Really needed a way to bridge the initial encounter, to Sam actively going after the gangs. I'd expect to add more diary entries in the future, it's vastly less time consuming than adding encounters. Some of the more complex ones took almost a day to add and debug!
yeah it does.

It is kinda jarring to have sam having an adrenaline fueled epiphany of saving a mugging victim into a full on crusade against organized crime bosses. Adding more diary entries, elaborating sam's internal toughts would be be awesome.

I mean, anybody can have such epiphany if given the right condition, but most would stop after the adrenaline is gone, and after the pain killer stops working.

could be interesting to read his rotating gears.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Well, you just sold another copy.

Reading the threads here and looking at the Steam forums, I'm amazed you seem to take the time to respond to every single message about this game. Is it one person responding to everything or is it a team?

Thanks for the support, Dickie. It's just me. I decant a clone for busy times, but they never seem to last :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'll be honest, I liked what I saw about Vigilantes when it was first announced here (and then on KS), but I always had a nagging suspicion that it was never going to be more than a semi-tactical game trying to ape XCOM. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Vigilantes doesn't do anything new, but as a sum of it parts, what it does, it does very well (instead of the weird old-school-but-not-quite, AAA-but-not-quite hybrid that is XCOM).

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I'll be honest, I liked what I saw about Vigilantes when it was first announced here (and then on KS), but I always had a nagging suspicion that it was never going to be more than a semi-tactical game trying to ape XCOM. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Vigilantes doesn't do anything new, but as a sum of it parts, what it does, it does very well (instead of the weird old-school-but-not-quite, AAA-but-not-quite hybrid that is XCOM).

Cheers udm. There are enough games trying to copy XCOM out there. World can do without another. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and suspect it was one of the key events in bringing the genre back, but am much more inspired by the older generation.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Sunk a couple of hours in. Mostly liking it so far, only minor gripes like an occasional shot through wall. Combat is satisfying, melee sounds are quite meaty.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Sunk a couple of hours in. Mostly liking it so far, only minor gripes like an occasional shot through wall. Combat is satisfying, melee sounds are quite meaty.

Good to hear you're enjoying it. Yeah, the melee SFX have impact. The shot through a wall can happen when aiming at an enemy in full cover, as it checks LOS to orthagonal tiles from the full cover tile - this prevents the old 1 AP each way movement cost, making cover more valuable. While it might have been possible to get characters to lean into the shot, it just never became a high enough priority in light of other work.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I like how viable melee is compared to other similar games so far, especially with the right perk like AP bank.

The combat is the funnest one out of turn based tacticool rpg played recently.

Compared to hard west, i couldnt really finish it because the combat dont click for me.

Everyone in that game is kinda . . . Samey? dont know if i played the game right, but the combat feels just flat.

Kinda weird because i really love the luck system, and how 1 to 2 shots pretty much can kill you.

Playing vigilantes is kinda the opposite. Tbh the presentation isnt that great, but the gameplay loop and the core mechanics is very engaging. I played almost 3 hours last night, time passed quickly.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I like how viable melee is compared to other similar games so far, especially with the right perk like AP bank.

The combat is the funnest one out of turn based tacticool rpg played recently.

Compared to hard west, i couldnt really finish it because the combat dont click for me.

Everyone in that game is kinda . . . Samey? dont know if i played the game right, but the combat feels just flat.

Kinda weird because i really love the luck system, and how 1 to 2 shots pretty much can kill you.

Playing vigilantes is kinda the opposite. Tbh the presentation isnt that great, but the gameplay loop and the core mechanics is very engaging. I played almost 3 hours last night, time passed quickly.

Glad you're enjoying it - for a melee build, look for the athletic perk - it's not too hard to get is often the difference between making 2 and 1 attacks in a turn.

That's because in Hard West the system is kryptodeterministic. If you repeat the same actions in a given scenario the results would be the same.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
That's because in Hard West the system is kryptodeterministic. If you repeat the same actions in a given scenario the results would be the same.
no, not really like that. It is more of a balance issue that there is only 1 or 2 useful build path and equipment in the game, i ended up having everyone really similar to play, and the enemy variety tjats really samey.

I dunno, i really love the idea, setting and presentation, in the end it failed to suck me in for some reason

ushas

Savant
Think half of the allies start with Fleetness 4. I'm rising it to 7 on everyone in either case, to get one more AP per turn, then it's +1 point more for to get Athletic perk.

" i am not a pyromaniac"
-edgar Kowalski my boi.

Just met him, love him already. This shit is gonna be fucking lit. :lol:

Took him from a short story I wrote around 8 years ago. Never really finished the story to the point was happy with it, but at least he made it into the game.
Even though heard the cutscene intro before, his initial mission and motivation was a kind of unexpected:) He's on my A team now too, with Arcadi.

HoboForEternity how do you build the main character?

Am running Sam MacGyver (heh, there is even a duck tape in the game), high Utility, gonna pile up the gadgets.
Seriously, we have a ton of books and movies, where are all the present day RPGs?

PS: Still on the 'Popular New Releases' list, nice!:cool:

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Think half of the allies start with Fleetness 4. I'm rising it to 7 on everyone in either case, to get one more AP per turn, then it's +1 point more for to get Athletic perk.

PS: Still on the 'Popular New Releases' list, nice!:cool:

I do the exact same thing re fleetness. It may not be worthwhile going much higher in it, especially if you're melee and you want to get the high end prowess and toughness perks.

Yep, still clinging on. Hopefully will get a bit of the weekend out of it.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Newsflash

Today, a person who's sick of turn based games, bought a turn based game so they could communicate to their 2 followers how sick of turn based games they are. More at 8...

Lgt22K3.png

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck off. Another good game to play :negative: you had to release ahead of time. You just had to.

You people want to ruin me.

Thank God it's Friday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom