Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Lol, so today I figured I actually *can* heal myself using the mousewheel during stages of boss battles in which the regular Esc menu is unavailable, thus this game is now playable.

:hmmm:

Let me blow your mind even more,just press Del and you also get access to the quick menu so you can use items,change weapons and pods

A horse of course

Finally finished this with the E ending. I kept putting it off because I was afraid it would be one of those bad/janky games with a good story/art style, but I actually enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit and there were enough well-written or interesting sidequests that it didn't feel like a chore. Main complaints were that the final revelations felt a little half-baked and the E ending minigame was a silly gimmick that didn't really touch a chord with me. One of the final story areas with the endless chest hacking also made me lose my temper. Other than that, thumbs up.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Started playing this and man, the controls take getting used to. I gave up on shooting and swording simultaneously, seems like it would be the most optimal way to play but I just can't do it. Used up most of my healing items against the giant buzzsaw boss, the rest against the hordes of enemies before the next boss, which was...two of those things that kicked my ass. Then I died, and still hadn't had the chance to save. I feel like Yoko Taro is trolling me already. I hate to set a game's difficulty to Easy, but I might have to do it this time - who knows how many times I'd have to play the beginning on Normal?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can just hold a button to shoot non-stop, you don't have to worry about accuracy or anything, there's no actual downside to it. The controls do take some getting used to tbh, especially dodging can be kinda tricky and you are probably not doing it right if you struggle so much. The game isn't really that difficult on normal, just take your time to get used to the controls and you will be fine. The prologue is the longest part of the game that you have to go through without saving btw, so after you finish that, you should be alright.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Started playing this and man, the controls take getting used to. I gave up on shooting and swording simultaneously, seems like it would be the most optimal way to play but I just can't do it. Used up most of my healing items against the giant buzzsaw boss, the rest against the hordes of enemies before the next boss, which was...two of those things that kicked my ass. Then I died, and still hadn't had the chance to save. I feel like Yoko Taro is trolling me already. I hate to set a game's difficulty to Easy, but I might have to do it this time - who knows how many times I'd have to play the beginning on Normal?

Keyboard or controller?

Trust me, I played with keyboard and with barely 30 fps and I'm a scrub, so if I managed if everyone can. Remember that you always fire the basic Pod attack and spam Lance against any worthy target. The beginning is the hardest part of the game, truth be told.

Remember that dodging gives you rather lenghty invincibility frames just because. Doesn't matter if you are under a boss, you are still invincible. Spam dodge to avoid damaging attacks.

The buzzsaws are more difficut that the final boss of the beginning chapter, so after them is smooth sailing, 'cause you start a "cinematic" battle afterwards. After you get to the Resistance camp, remember to talk with tutorial gal (the woman with a Machine mask) and to equip chips. Chips make the game impossible to lose (we're talking full heals for every enemy killed, or regeneration after 3-4 secs of not taking damage, or auto-use of healing items).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do it. The beginning is indeed a troll. You can set it to Normal once you're done with the initial stupidity.

Ivan

Arcane
Did you end up dropping this Zombra ? I know you were at some point forcing yourself to enjoy this...

I'm myself hoping for a steep discount during the Xmas sale to pick it up

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did you end up dropping this Zombra ? I know you were at some point forcing yourself to enjoy this...
I did drop it. The ARPG gameplay wasn't enjoyable for me, unlimited bullets gave me a strong incentive to never fight in melee, the 'chip' system (which I guess is super important) was never explained, the open world felt too unfocused, the enemies except for bosses are various sizes of identical robots. The graphics are beautiful and the story is supposed to be mind blowing once you play the game 6 times ... nothing in the first 6 hours indicates this though. "Keep playing, you'll get a nice surprise 80 hours later" was not enough for me.

hexer

I did drop it. The ARPG gameplay wasn't enjoyable for me, unlimited bullets gave me a strong incentive to never fight in melee, the 'chip' system (which I guess is super important) was never explained, the open world felt too unfocused, the enemies except for bosses are various sizes of identical robots. The graphics are beautiful and the story is supposed to be mind blowing once you play the game 6 times ... nothing in the first 6 hours indicates this though. "Keep playing, you'll get a nice surprise 80 hours later" was not enough for me.

Too bad it didn't vibe with you. For me, this game was a godsend after decades of drought.
The best thing for me was the combo story-music-gameplay and the overall quirkiness.
But that could be my involvement with the art in my private life so I view the world in a skewed way and felt right at home here .. literally.

If the gameplay was an issue, maybe you could play it on Easy the first time so it's less of a hassle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

Patron
If the gameplay was an issue, maybe you could play it on Easy the first time so it's less of a hassle?
I wouldn't say the gameplay difficulty was a hassle exactly. After all, I can just stand back and shoot an infinity of bullets with my eyes closed 98% of the time. The problem is that it's all so time-consuming with no motivation and no short-term payoff.

The world, beautiful as it is and abundant side activities (Fishing! Oh good, this game features fishing) notwithstanding, feels empty, boring, and "JRPG-y". Nothing feels worth doing and there's no reason to do it in the first place. I don't even remember why the protagonists are there to begin with - something about "One of our killer robots disappeared, so we'll send more killer robots to kill other robots and wander around and maybe they won't disappear too"? Yes, there was a tearjerking side quest where a robot asked me to find her lost little sister and proved that robots have souls and feelings oh my god - yet if this was a side quest in a normal RPG, where some guy on a street corner asked me to rescue a family member who was a short walk away at a map waypoint, I would have bruised my fingers from hitting the uninstall button so hard.

Maybe I'm just impatient. 6 hours of "am I at the good part yet?" was enough. You know those games where just moving the mouse cursor over the icon to start it makes you feel tired? Yeah.

Last edited:

hexer

The world, beautiful as it is and abundant side activities (Fishing! Oh good, this game features fishing) notwithstanding, feels empty, boring, and "JRPG-y".

Actually, I fully embraced the empty world because it's a post-apocalyptic world.
I found myself on some occasions climbing some of the tallest buildings, listening to the music and thinking... fuck it, everybody's gone. So this is how it feels!

Yes, there was a tearjerking side quest where a robot asked me to find her lost little sister and proved that robots have souls and feelings oh my god

I didn't like that quest much but I found it funny when the little sister started asking those questions only kids ask.
It made me chuckle to see two fighter androids having a hard time with that.

I dunno, it's crazy to think there exists a game that is universally liked but it's cool you gave it a try!
:salute:

Projas

Patron
unlimited bullets gave me a strong incentive to never fight in melee
No wonder you dropped the game, the fights must take forever if all you do is plink enemies with the pod, jesus. Also not sure what needed to be explained about the chip system, it's p. self-explanatory.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
unlimited bullets gave me a strong incentive to never fight in melee,
Christ... no offense Zombra, but this is so dumb. We are talking about a 3rd person hack & slash action game, and you totally ignore the meat of the combat system, because you have unlimited ammo? It's like playing Devil May Cry with Dante only standing in one place and shooting enemies. No wonder you had enough of it.

Zombra

Patron
unlimited bullets gave me a strong incentive to never fight in melee,
Christ... no offense Zombra, but this is so dumb. We are talking about a 3rd person hack & slash action game, and you totally ignore the meat of the combat system, because you have unlimited ammo? It's like playing Devil May Cry with Dante only standing in one place and shooting enemies. No wonder you had enough of it.
Shrug. The punishing intro trained me that standing back, dodging attacks, and steadily shooting enemies was an effective strategy. So it's my fault for doing what the game trained me to do? Okay.

If you check upthread you'll find that others did instruct me that melee makes fights quicker so I did start hitting stuff (at the natural cost of taking much more damage). Oddly the game did not become less tiresome.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Also not sure what needed to be explained about the chip system, it's p. self-explanatory.
Being made aware that it exists without someone on the Codex having to tell me would have been a good start. :)
[S]Projas[/S] D_X said:
koala.png
what? x 1
Having an option that you never really need to use hidden away in a menu isn't a great way to teach a core game feature. I played the game fine for hours without having the slightest inkling I should be equipping some kind of weird upgrades. The game doesn't mention it, no content is gated because of it, I had no reason to suspect it existed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Projas

Patron
Also not sure what needed to be explained about the chip system, it's p. self-explanatory.
Being made aware that it exists without someone on the Codex having to tell me would have been a good start. :)
Projas said:
koala.png
what? x 1
Having an option that you never really need to use hidden away in a menu isn't a great way to advertise a core game feature. I played the game fine for hours without having the slightest inkling I should be equipping some kind of weird upgrades. The game doesn't mention it, no content is gated because of it, I had no reason to suspect it existed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I mean, the plug-in chips and the fact that you can upgrade your body with them are brought up in one of the first quests in the game. The supply trader asks you to bring him some materials so he can start selling chips. While there isn't a big red arrow pointing you to the equipment menu, it's kinda natural to wonder what plug-in chips are after that, which should naturally lead you to discovering it. I really don't think this is insufficient.

(also not my rating for the record)

Silva

Arcane
Oh come on, this shit again? Zombra is right, Automata's gameplay is mediocre at best. Game shines in it's storyfag properties. Just like Silent Hill 2, SOMA, PS:T and the likes, If you're hooked by the faggotry its amazing. If not, there's no point in playing this.

Zombra

Patron
One of the vendors in the resistance camp is a dedicated chip salesman. Another vendor mentions that you should be trying out new chips and pod programs as they become available to you.
Sure, and other JRPGs feature salesmen who sell stuff like Holy Water and Eye Drops. Did you ever freak out because you ran out of Gold Needles? (They cure petrification!) Me either. I stocked up on Potions and Fenix Downs and called it good, and I got through FFVI just fine with Fight, Magic, and Special. My unconscious expectation is that JRPGs will have a lot of extraneous stuff in them, and I was perfectly correct with Automata. In this game I was finding all kinds of Sand Blossoms and Miga Fragments and an absolutely colossal amount of tiny pieces of junk everywhere I went. I ignored them, and never had cause to believe this was a mistake, except what I learned later about chips. At the time, chips were another thing on a list of a thousand things that probably didn't mean anything.

How you could have missed this for several hours is beyond me. Even if it hadn't been mentioned, don't you ever check out the pause menu when you start playing a new game? It's usually the very first thing I do.
I glanced at it. The crappy interface of menus and submenus and subsubmenus didn't exactly invite me in. Weren't the menus animated to take extra long for no reason? I remember the map screen was awful. The equip menu has several sublayers as I recall. I wasn't too worried about which cuff links I had equipped. Remember, I was getting through the game fine without them ... and looking back, I find that early game chips do stuff like give you +2% lightning resistance. Can I really be blamed for not realizing it was a big deal?

I mean, the plug-in chips and the fact that you can upgrade your body with them are brought up in one of the first quests in the game. The supply trader asks you to bring him some materials so he can start selling chips. While there isn't a big red arrow pointing you to the equipment menu, it's kinda natural to wonder what plug-in chips are after that, which should naturally lead you to discovering it. I really don't think this is insufficient.
I'm willing to concede that the game mentioned chips as part of its early game infodump. (It's been over a year since I played the game.) For whatever reason, it failed to make any impression on me. A guy who makes computer chips on a world filled with robots isn't exactly an intriguing figure of mystery. I certainly don't care about what a quest giver is going to do with the garbage-tier macguffin he asks me to find in some pedestrian side quest. "Go find me 8 Scrap Metal" "FASCINATING tell me more"

(also not my rating for the record)
Whoops, sorry for the misquote :oops:

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For someone who has 'fight the decline' in their sig, you're sure doing a good job of embodying it Zombra.

I tend to agree that the combat in Nier:A is not it's strongest point, but criticising it for not holding your hand and spelling out in words of two syllables or less how you can customise your abilities is pretty derp. Comments like this are why so many modern games treat their players like they are mentally challenged and remove any elements of discovery. You can't grumble about corridor zones in RPG's and quest markers if you make a point of moaning about this sort of shit.

Also- you ignored all the stuff that dropped out of enemies when you were fighting them?! /notsureifserious.

:hmmm:

Zombra

Patron
Criticising it for not holding your hand and spelling out in words of two syllables or less how you can customise your abilities is pretty derp.
Long story short, this game is more opaque than games of the past. I've played a hundred JRPGs and all of them communicated better than this.

Also- you ignored all the stuff that dropped out of enemies when you were fighting them?! /notsureifserious.
Of course I ignored it. Again, a hundred JRPGs' worth of training, including this one, has taught me to skim past

You found jar of sand!
You found 5gil!
You found migu cluster!
You found rusty nail!
You found 10gil!
You found sextant!
You found stick of butter!
You found block of wood!
You found migu cluster!
You found skull fragment!
You found 55gil!
You found bug blossom!
You found jar of sand!
You found skull fragment!
You found old tapestry!
You found a60 chip!
You found 35gil!
You found sextant!
You found rusty nail!
You found rusty nail!

I guess I was REALLY SUPPOSED TO PAY ATTENTION when I found the a60 chip when that message flashed up for 1 second. Yeah that's reasonable to expect.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Wait, someone had difficulties in checking the NPCs in first main town hub (where everything is explained quite clearly, and there is even a wall-breaking NPC for further information)? It's difficult to even talk to NPCs now? Do they need a huge sign and non-skippable cutscenes?

You can type, so maybe you can even read!

"WAAAAH THE GAME DIDN'T HANDHOLD ME ENOUGH!"

"FIGHT THE DECLINE!"

:roll:

EDIT: Also, "I got confused by the menus and the animations." Are you friggin' serious?

EDIT2: There's even a joke ending for experimenting with the system on your own (disabling your OS chip). But it's haaaard to read and to try.

Jinn

Arcane
I guess I was REALLY SUPPOSED TO PAY ATTENTION when I found the a60 chip when that message flashed up for 1 second. Yeah that's reasonable to expect.

Jesus, Zombra.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom