Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought the legendary armor that gives 10 Armor for 20% recovery time penalty for 25,600 copper pires. I'm not sure, but I think if you have high enough reputation with a faction buying legendary items can be a better deal than buying superb or exceptional and paying for enchanting.

Worth replaying right now or should I wait till DLC?
I beat the game on release patch soloing potd with monk.

2house2fly

Magister
You'll want to wait until the final DLC in November/December, if only because by then the game will be as patched as it's ever going to be

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker tweak Xoti's AI, or just set it to one of the monk defaults. She'll do the routine stuff on her own initiative while leaving the big guns to you. In any case I enjoyed monk-Xoti way more than priest-Xoti.

(Serafen and Maia are deffo the best new companions, and Pallegina was okay also.)

Gotten so used to thinking of the AI as useless I kept it off. Maybe I should tweak it for her and Maia.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Automating tedious buffs that need to be rotated is a good use of the AI scripts. Things like Disciplined Strikes and the Monk's various buffs. I don't think these types of buffs should be in a RtwP RPG, maybe even any RPG. Anything that should be cast immediately on combat start is bad design. I suppose the saving grace is they use class resources, but that's adding shit on top of shit, isn't it. They shouldn't have added mana in the first place.

2house2fly

Magister
They had a hotfix in beta, i's presumably that. Most prominently, the music transitioning from day to night should work better now, and the new character Izzia at Marihi's Metalworks had some broken dialogue options that are now fixed. I think she's still bugged though: she's meant to use the two DLC McGuffins to forge a new item, but I don't have the option to ask her; I have both McGuffins and she just tells me to come back if I find anything interesting. I also have the option to tell her I was attacked by assassins, which hasn't happened. I'm guessing either 1)she's not meant to spawn until the assassin scripted event has played and is accidentally showing before it, or 2)the scripted event is always meant to play when you go to Neketaka after installing the DLC but is bugged so it doesn't play. I look forward to the one bugfixer they have left figuring out which.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Worth replaying right now or should I wait till DLC?
I beat the game on release patch soloing potd with monk.
It's completely safe to play, technically and from bugs perspective
Would you recommend a replay for someone who was quite frustrated to steamroll over fire giants and sahuagins by right-clicking back at release ?
ps : Would you recommend any dlc ?

Itemization continues to get me giddy with excitement like I was a teenager and I gotta say: if the writing is par for the course, I'm not sure I understand those who claim nothing's changed. Yes, highlight-words are annoying, yes, the writing is nowhere near getting me as invested as something like MotB, but the lore dumps are way, waaaaaay less present and people are way less verbose.
Amen. One of the things I couldn't understand at release was the claim that the writing was either on par or worse than the first game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
People have said that BoW and SSS are quite brutal on PotD, soooo probably?

BoW is hard for two reasons. A dragon boss with large HP and stacking Llengraths defense, and teleporting enemies that fuck you up from every direction.

SSS is MUCH harder than Beast of Winter. I've nearly completed it on PoTD, and its been an extremely demanding experience. There were some fights that even made me contemplate turning the difficulty down (e.g The Spiders Web).

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
People have said that BoW and SSS are quite brutal on PotD, soooo probably?

BoW is hard for two reasons. A dragon boss with large HP and stacking Llengraths defense, and teleporting enemies that fuck you up from every direction.

SSS is MUCH harder than Beast of Winter. I've nearly completed it on PoTD, and its been an extremely demanding experience. There were some fights that even made me contemplate turning the difficulty down (e.g The Spiders Web).

That makes me really excited for the DLCs. Seems like it's the White March all over again.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
BoW is only hard because enemies are insufferable HP sponges. So I'm sure people with munchkin builds of 3 con/3 resolve have a great time. All the advantages of playing with no defense whatsoever quickly disappear when half the playfield cannot be cleared with one alpha strike of empowered minoletta's.

SSS is a different story entirely. It's not hard because enemies have 3 million HP and 5 gazillion armor, it's all carefully designed set piece fights that have a lot of surprises in them. I've beaten it with 3 different parties by now, my first and then with 2 with custom dudes that I've made. But I need to do another play from the start because my original one was PoTD with no scaling.

Also I'm pretty sure the mega boss is flat out impossible on PoTD without cheating. Not with generic companions at least.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Would you recommend a replay for someone who was quite frustrated to steamroll over fire giants and sahuagins by right-clicking back at release ?
ps : Would you recommend any dlc ?
Version 1.0 was bugged and was giving the encounters from Normal at every difficulty. PotD probably also added the PotD buffs to enemies but that was all.

This is fixed now, and from looking at old LPs, PotD enemy groups have been additionally beefed up at least once.

BTW, I was listening to this and thought how much better the gullet would have been with this music https://youtu.be/nA8wYkOS_d8?list=PL7E568787B13D27D7 (Elves at the mercy of Man, DA:O)

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, they rebalanced the critical path fights to not be so easy. Either way, they haven't made any balance changes in a while, but is the combat good enough now? I decided to wait for the last DLC before continuing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I find the combat pretty good as far as challenge goes. In Oathbinder's sanctum on PotD you get 11 enemies, rogues, paladins, 3 or so casters...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom