Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

amurath

Educated
it's friday where is the patch
The big (1.1) patch is apparently delayed until next week. There may be another hotfix today, though.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
the rational thing would be wait the patch, since i can t play my ranger ( stuck with double amiras in her quest ).

that said the game is good enough that i made a monk. besides having to be a faggot lawful character i'm having a lot of fun the character gets good a lot faster than in bg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, it's not the playtesters that's the problem. It's his vision. In the end his verdict was "we did well in the time and budget we were allotted".
While I don't have huge disagreements about his system (micromanagement hell and Empower, Pen, class resources and removal of per rest in the sequel notwithstanding), what the competent playtester should've told him is that the UI, tedious micromanagement of abilities and speed of the combat aren't what a normal human being needs to play comfortably. It is absolutely a system designed on paper without practical consideration. And it plays like designed by aliens as a result. We all know nobody at Obs can play the game on PotD and only 2 people can play on hard. If that doesn't raise red flags internally, that is one dysfunctional company, but we also know that's the case, don't we.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
No, it's not the playtesters that's the problem. It's his vision. In the end his verdict was "we did well in the time and budget we were allotted".
While I don't have huge disagreements about his system (micromanagement hell and Empower, Pen, class resources and removal of per rest in the sequel notwithstanding), what the competent playtester should've told him is that the UI, tedious micromanagement of abilities and speed of the combat aren't what a normal human being needs to play comfortably. It is absolutely a system designed on paper without practical consideration. And it plays like designed by aliens as a result. We all know nobody at Obs can play the game on PotD and only 2 people can play on hard. If that doesn't raise red flags internally, that is one dysfunctional company, but we also know that's the case, don't we.
If you need playtesters to tell you that your system plays like designed by aliens, you should have no truck with being a designer. It's not a playtesting issue.

Israfael

Arcane
[QUOTE="AwesomeButton, post: 5822897, member: 19034"And it plays like designed by aliens as a result. We all know nobody at Obs can play the game on PotD and only 2 people can play on hard. If that doesn't raise red flags internally, that is one dysfunctional company, but we also know that's the case, don't we.
Do you really believe that Josh "lol,grognards" Sawyer would pay a single flying duck to any sort of input by Sensuki or someone like him?

Sizzle

Arcane
[QUOTE="AwesomeButton, post: 5822897, member: 19034"And it plays like designed by aliens as a result. We all know nobody at Obs can play the game on PotD and only 2 people can play on hard. If that doesn't raise red flags internally, that is one dysfunctional company, but we also know that's the case, don't we.
Do you really believe that Josh "lol,grognards" Sawyer would pay a single flying duck to any sort of input by Sensuki or someone like him?

Considering he used Sensuki's PoE1 attribute overhaul almost verbatim - yes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I was afraid it's Deadfire all over again with tiny locations, but Old Sycamore is decent sized. And biggest centipede is pretty rapey on unfair. At least my heart full of neutrality allowed me to avoid most of combat here.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I for one like the gameplay of PoE. Don't think much about Empower and was kinda sad to see vancian casting and health/endurance go, but don't have a huge issue with that.
Armor/Pen is not great, but still better then the DnD abstractions for me. In general the system makes much more sense for a computer game then DnD and plays a lot better.
Speed is rather fast... but there is pause for a reason.

Also I have no problems with the UI. I mean, I was annoyed I couldn't see the ability tree apart from character creation and level ups, but guess what? It was fixed. Also the enchantment menu was terrible... well, it's fixed also (well, almost).

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Not sure if this is a good plan:
After considering the upcoming feedback we decided that it will be better to focus on releasing hotfixes with the best possible frequency rather then spending time on testing the next big version. The way we see it now we will keep preparing hotfixes during the next 1-2 weeks. The so called "big patch" with several hundreds improvements and minor fixes will be released after October, 22nd.

I think they should try to get the first bigger patch out by the next weekend at latest, would be a good PR move if they could pull it off, but maybe they want to test it properly so it doesn't break anything big (again).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I can confirm that the Mr. Negro Companion does tons of damage with his bow + rapid shot. :o
Yeah, Happynegro is fucking crazy, especially when fully buffed. I think it's partially because there's so many ranged feats that are no-brainers and easily and near-unconditionally improve damage output, combined with his character being "empty" (for lack of a better word) enough to be better optimized than most others.

I know a lot of people hate it, but I like when characters in games are not optimized, and instead have some mechanical aspects based entirely on their character concept and narrative. It only really becomes a problem when there's a radical difference in quality between the CNPC:s, as is the case here. To be in line with the other CNPC:s, he should probably have "wasted" a level on Sacred Huntsman (of Torag) or something.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I can confirm that the Mr. Negro Companion does tons of damage with his bow + rapid shot. :o

Hargulka is kicking my ass. He hits so hard! And seems to Will save against all my spells. :D
Yeah, he hits really hard, but he is actually pretty easy with a ton of buffs like Bless, Prayer, Haste, Inspire Courage and so on.
archers are hilariously broken, I have no idea if it's a inherent flaw of pathfinder's PnP system or what
my fighter archer does more damage than the rest of my team combined, it's not even close.

OTOH, I do lack any sort of CC or team utility whatsoever so I guess it's a fair tradeoff sort of.

hexer

Here's the copy paste..

Hotfix 1.0.5 – October, 5th 2018
5 October - oleg_sh
Dear Pathfinders,

After considering the upcoming feedback we decided that it will be better to focus on releasing hotfixes with the best possible frequency rather then spending time on testing the next big version. The way we see it now we will keep preparing hotfixes during the next 1-2 weeks. The so called "big patch" with several hundreds improvements and minor fixes will be released after October, 22nd.

Please be aware that there are story spoilers in the descriptions below (at Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections).

Quests
  • Tristian's dialogue may not work correctly during Saving Grace quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • If the player skips the first quest with Bartholomew and then returns with a whip, the incorrect dialogue is triggered. Resolution: fixed.
  • 2nd Valerie romance event may not start and lock the party in the tavern instead. Resolution: fixed. Players already trapped in the tavern need to exit it for the event to start correctly.

Areas
  • Amiri may not appear in the beginning of Flintlock Grassland area and the story events don't start in this case. Resolution: fixed.
  • Amiri returns as not active companion after the events at Flintlock Grassland. If the player takes her into the party she may be not visible and not controllable. Resolution: fixed.
  • There may be infinite loading after entering the portal at Temple of the Elk. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bokken may disappear from Oleg's Tradind Post in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • Chief Sootscale can't be killed if the player returns to the first level of the Old Sycamore Dungeon after the "baronation" event. Resolution: fixed.
  • Tristian may not leave the location after meeting with Raven. Resolution: fixed.
  • Players are unable to reach the Hunting Grounds area - required for Ekun quest - if they decided not to participate in the Noble Safari event earlier. Resolution: fixed.
  • There may be issue with Tristian behavior at Vordakai's Tomb. Resolution: fixed.
  • The certain cutscene may freeze during the final fight at the first level of Vordakai's Tomb. Resolution: fixed.
  • Party may lack camp rations at Vordakai's Tomb. Resolution: camp rations are added at Vordakai's Tomb.
  • Loot can't be picked up at Ruins of the Old Tower area. Resolution: fixed.

Items
  • Description of Cloak of Resistance +2 stated that it gives +1 resistance bonus to saving throws despite it actually giving +2. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
  • The wizard's list of spell includes spells from the previous levels during Level-Up. Resolution: fixed.
  • Missing description for some abilities in class progression table for example for Sage Sorcerer. Resolution: class progression table was improved.
  • On of the Chinese character is missing in ZH localization. Resolution: fixed.
  • There is no option to see the day of the week (required for some quests). Resolution: the day of the week is available in the hourglass tooltip.
  • There are cases when quest's objectives are not visible in the Quest Journal, for example for Twice-Born Warlord quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • A bunch of new unique icons added (mostly for wands and potions).
  • An "Arcane spell failure chance" string are visible in divination casters spellbook. Resolution: the string is removed.
  • Amiri portrait is doubled in party choice interface. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • When the boss of the chapter is overcome on the exact day a kingdom should be defeated, the corresponding event that is destroying your kingdom is removed.
  • Technic League Encampment is inaccessible during artisan's quest to get inubrix. Resolution: fixed.
  • If Kassil was chosen as ambassador and then was killed at Flintlock Grassland he might appear during coronation event at Throne Room. Resolution: fixed.
  • Varnhold and Pitax settlements are not working. Resolution: fixed.

Classes
  • Jaethal is not immune to negative levels. Resolution: fixed.
  • Feyspeaker archetype of druid previously has orisons that wrongly based their DCs on Wisdom, instead of scaling off Charisma like all other Feyspeaker spells. Resolution: Feyspeaker orisons scale their DCs off Charisma.
  • At character creation, the game does not change stat recommendation for Feyspeaker, pointing the Wisdom as recommended and Charisma as not recommended. Resolution: Charisma is a recommended stat for Feyspeaker.
  • Vital Strike feat does not give the appropriate usable ability. Resolution: fixed.
  • Extra Arcane Pool feat does not increase the pool of Eldritch Scions. Resolution: fixed.
  • Weapon Training bonus isn't shown in the tooltips of attack rolls. Resolution: fixed.
  • Hideous Laughter requires target intelligence to be higher than 2 for you to be able to cast it. This, combined with penalties for Weak Enemies (default setting for enemy difficulty on Easy Mode and Story Mode), lead to the case that some enemies in this weakened state are too dumb to get the jokes. Resolution: fixed, the Hideous Laughter now takes only the base intelligence of the target into account.
  • Greater Vital Strike has the same description as normal Vital Strike. Resolution: Greater Vital Strike now has correct description.
  • Duelist Precise Strike has no description and is not visible in the class progression table and in the character ability list. It also works only for characters with a sneak attack. Resolution: both problems are fixed.
  • Players may select Point-Blank Master, Slashing Grace and Fencing Grace while not having Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization with an appropriate weapon. This lead to the case when they see an empty list of available selection. Resolution: Slashing Grace now requires Weapon Focus with a one-handed slashing weapon, Fencing Grace requires Weapon Focus with a one-handed piercing weapon and Point Blank Master requires Weapon Specialization with a ranged weapon.
  • Freedom of Movement is classified as a Necromancy spell. Resolution: Freedom of Movement properly counts as an Abjuration spell now.

Misc
  • FX trails may work not correctly after multiple save/load. Resolution: fixed.
    New pack of localization fixes for FR, DE, ZH.

System
  • There are reports of quits to the main menu when changing scenes on rare occasions. Resolution: more logging is added and a temporary workaround is implemented (there should be no quits but area lighting may not work correctly).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I was afraid it's Deadfire all over again with tiny locations, but Old Sycamore is decent sized. And biggest centipede is pretty rapey on unfair. At least my heart full of neutrality allowed me to avoid most of combat here.
Yeah, the game actually has a lot of decent-sized locations, and make great use of space in a lot of instances. For example, the map "Swamp Witch's Hut" is large, but not large as to bexome sprawling, with interspersed, logically placed encounters.

Really, it's so obvious that they took so much from the original Baldur's Gate. I've seen walk-through videos discussing quest and location design based on Baldur's Gate, and PF:K is almost always spot on.

Also, nice that Owlcat figured out how to have smaller locations within locations, instead of having a loading screen for every fucking hut. Obsidian, I'm looking at you.

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, nice that Owlcat figured out how to have smaller locations within locations, instead of having a loading screen for every fucking hut. Obsidian, I'm looking at you.
They have all the sub-locations on the same map as their parent. You can see it in your savefile where they keep the fog of war masks(it's just a regular image)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They promise there is going to be BIG patch.
I don't give a shit how big it is on the 22nd, the game is fucking broken *now*, and they promised a patch this week. The 22nd is fucking absurd.

If there's no patch in over two weeks, that's two weeks of Owlcat being fucking useless, no matter how big the patch is going to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom