Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - now with Heretek expansion

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why should it be necrons? Goddamn...necrons! The sight of some tech priest taking several full gauss discharges in his chest with "ow, that hurts" makes my eyes bleed.
It's almost like that idiotic mission from Dawn of War: Dark Crusade where you had to kill Necrons to gather their souls(!) as Space Marines(!!) to appease local Chaos Idol(!!!).
Devs could just make a story about Mechanicum expedition roaming random planets, gathering precious pieces of archeotech. Attacking orc bases to rescue some looted tech, sabotage traitor forces, attack tau for their technology.
Bt it should be necrons, one of the most resilent and technically advanced races in Warhammer universe. They would rather fit as some Big Boss, rather than Kill Necron Lord in every dungeon delve.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The sight of some tech priest taking several full gauss discharges in his chest with "ow, that hurts" makes my eyes bleed.

considering the toys that explorators, secutors and the like get to play with, and i'd assume these are the folks you get to control here, not run of the mill enginseers, i dont find this that hard to believe at all

It's almost like that idiotic mission from Dawn of War: Dark Crusade where you had to kill Necrons to gather their souls(!) as Space Marines(!!) to appease local Chaos Idol(!!!).

breaking news, man yells at semi-randomly generated missions

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
considering the toys that explorators, secutors and the like get to play with, and i'd assume these are the folks you get to control here, not run of the mill enginseers, i dont find this that hard to believe at all
They wear no void shields, they wear flak armor plus some layers. Their servitors take flayed ones in melee.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gameplay:

e: There's no miss chance in the game. Already better than nu-COM. :lol:
How is removing miss chance a good thing? Should we also remove CTH from the older X-COM?
Having the possiblity to miss forces you to plan for it. Without that, tactical games revert to dumbed down chess puzzles.

Btw, the game still seems potentially good, but where is my Chaos Gate 2?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/warhammer-40000-mechanicus/warhammer-40k-mechanicus-lore

Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus is the first game to do justice to the fiction
You might think you've picked up plenty of Warhammer lore from PC games, but Mechanicus shows us what we've been missing

Warhammer games have been failing you. A couple – Blood Bowl, Space Hulk – have meticulously recreated the rules of their tabletop counterparts. Others, like Dawn of War, have captured the flame, fury, and nihilism that make Space Marines recurrently popular with teenagers the world over.

But none have committed to the satire or sheer strangeness found in the Warhammer universe – where hot-pink noise marines find pleasure in the cacophony of battle, and tribes on backwater worlds offer up raw materials for wars they’ll never hear the outcome of.

Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus is different – a turn-based tactics game built on fiction so weird it could sit in the dialogue boxes of Torment: Tides of Numenera. Playing as a Tech-Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus, you lead a force whose love for machines equals their fondness for Latin, raiding the tombs of the Necrons in a desperate bid for dangerous knowledge.

It’s a premise that has caused Jeremy and Matt to fall totally for the doctrine of the Omnissiah. Hail the god in the machine.

Jeremy: When we were growing up people were fond of claiming that ‘men are from Mars’, but as I understand it that’s literally true of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Who exactly are they, Loremaster Matt?

Matt: [accesses data-codex] They’re basically the engineers of the Imperium of Man, camped out on Mars which, in the 41st millenium, is now a planet-sized factory. All those giant mech walkers and cathedral spaceships you’ve seen elsewhere in the Warhammer 40K universe? Created by the Adeptus Mechanicus. They’re also known as the Cult of the Machine, which gives you a fairly accurate picture of them: a legion of religious zealots who are so obsessed with the ‘purity’ of technology they literally replace their limbs with robotics. They’re mad, but in the best way possible.

Jeremy: I think I love them. They’re definitely that bloke in the office whose eccentricities are tolerated because nobody else knows IT. As I gather they don’t even worship the God-Emperor, which would be considered blasphemy anywhere else, but spend all their time fancying an embodiment of all their sleek machinery instead. They’re not quiet about it, either. One of your advisors in Mechanicus is a Tech-Priest called Lector-Dogmatis Videx, who covers himself in tiny pieces of scripture from the Machine God, as if he’s cut himself shaving. I think he’s my favourite, actually – constantly scolding his comrades for their curiosity and reminding them that ignorance of all things alien is a moral tenet of their faith. Who’s your fave?

Matt: I’m particularly taken by Scaevola, a Dominus who has augmented themselves so much with technology that she now talks in computer code. But it’s difficult to choose when each of the Priests have such powerful personalities. They’re each written akin to the literary characters of the Planescape universe, with unique tones and agendas. For instance, Tiresus thirsts for knowledge of the Imperium’s enemies, a stance that causes frequent arguments with Videx, who blindly believes that anything alien should be obliterated in a hail of galvanic rifle fire.

Jeremy: They’re wonderfully distinct, which is a real achievement for a bunch of talking skulls wrapped in robes and life support equipment. Mechanicus is a low-budget game, so there’s no VO or animation involved, yet writer Ben Counter does a phenomenal job of pumping personality through those tubes. I’m particularly fond of the way he doesn’t shy away from Warhammer specific terminology – every time somebody says ‘noosphere’ I feel like I don’t have a clue where I am and I love it.

Counter has a whole shelf of Black Library novels to his name, so his knowledge of the universe was never in doubt, but gaming is stuffed with scripts from experienced writers whose work didn’t translate to the medium. The fact that his does in Mechanicus can only be testament to the fact that Bulwark Studios made room for it. What do you make of the way the game itself interprets the universe?

Matt: This is where Mechanicus’ actual, erm, mechanics, come into play, and it’s a world away from many Warhammer 40K games. Typically, we’re put in command of Space Marines: ten-feet-tall genetically perfect warriors in armour three-inches thick. They’re the ultimate power fantasy. But this time we’re directing normal humans. Sure, they’ve got metal legs, arms, and sometimes even faces, but they’re far from indestructible. As such they die. A lot. And quickly.

Mechanicus-art.jpg

Mechanicus is punishingly hard. It’s an XCOM-style game without cover, so there’s no opportunity to hide. You have to outmanoeuvre your enemy, there’s literally no other option. And, to make matters worse, you’re fighting the Necrons: hulking robotic skeletons armed with guns that tear targets apart atom from atom. Some of them phase-teleport and pin you down with sniper fire. Others are literal giant metal spiders. Oh, and they can all self-repair, too. This is the relentless grim darkness of eternal war that 40K is all about.

Jeremy: I kept trying to hide behind things out of habit, and once it became clear that wasn’t going to work I cowered behind the squat servitor units the game let me summon each turn instead. Which is a nice, physical demonstration of the nasty hierarchy of the Mechanicus.

There’s tons of evidence that Bulkwark has designed the game with this specific fiction in mind, actually. Cognition Points turn the knowledge you gain from strange pillars into literal brainpower you can spend on extra moves. In fact, unless you take the time to study your enemy during battle you’re not going to know their weaknesses or even how much damage you’re doing to them – a constant reminder that the Imperium has entered a new Dark Age.

This is a game you couldn’t simply reskin with Space Hulk’s terminators and still have work. It’s taken a curious corner of the Warhammer universe and constructed a game around it. Which feels… new?

Matt: Absolutely. Dawn of War is a fantastic RTS, but it doesn’t feel as bespokely designed for its races as Mechanicus does. And it goes beyond punishing combat, too: the longer you spend exploring the Necron tomb world, the more dangerous it gets, which is a great personification of the universe’s looming darkness. There’s also a recognition of fighting an enemy so impossibly strong that you need to do so while they’re in slumber: if you can’t complete Mechanicus within 30 missions – the time duration until the Necrons completely awaken – then it’s game over.

Jeremy: I’d almost forgotten that part. I would have settled for an XCOM-alike that told a decent story in the 40K universe, but this is clearly something else – something I don’t quite yet understand. Which is fitting for a game about the friction between the Imperium’s wilful ignorance and need for knowledge. I’m looking forward to more.

zapotec

Liturgist
Imho they ran out of budget before they could implement a cover system

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Imho they ran out of budget before they could implement a cover system
That would make sense, but they advertised the lack of it from the beginning iirc.
It is strange, because it would make melee more useful. also, they could have had a cover system without copying nuXCOM (the older one had a more organic cover system after all), so they didn't have to purely remove it to stand out.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm glad at least one modern game will let my characters not spend all their time hidden behind walls like cowards.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I'm glad at least one modern game will let my characters not spend all their time hidden behind walls like cowards.
Chaos Gate also had a "cover" system in that if your guys were hiding behind an obstacle, or a friend, there would be a good chance for the shots to land on said obstacle or friends (it also had hilarious friendly fire incidents). It also had bunker.

That actually encouraged you to send loonies charge with a jetpack and a sword when attacking, because it also had the opponent entrenched in most missions, instead of having both side looking for the other for some reason.

opener

Literate
Like for me Warhammer 40k graphics it is just nice to see. This is style I want to see in games.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks cool as hell. Eagerly awaiting codexian impressions.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Will report my first impressions in a few minutes.

Okay, as you can see it took me about an hour from first starting to the end of the tutorial mission. Naturally I haven't seen much of the actual mechanics yet but the game seems to stress that it is not going to pull punches. There is no difficulty option, for example. There very much is an overall time limit so you can't fuck around too much. I assume this also means I can't finish every mission that is offered. I see quite a bit of replay value here.

The presentation is very good. I haven't followed the game closely so it's all new to me. Sounds and looks great, exactly like you would expect the Mechanicum to sound like. The "voices" of your tech-priests are all low droning sounds, although the Necrons speak English. I was kinda wishing for nothing but binary beeps and boops but oh well. The music is this odd mix of organ sounds and electro tunes, very epic and again pretty much what you'd expect hymns on an Ark Mechanicus to sound like. Your magi all have distinct personalities and its fun to hear them bicker. There's a lot of reading involved since as I said there's no voice acting for them. The game takes care to introduce people who know little about 40k to the Mechanicum which was a tad annoying for me but hey, you can always skip over the dialogue. The events I saw in the tutorial - That is, the rooms that don't contain a fight - all offer three options and my instincts tell me someone who understands how 40k works (i.e. DON'T fucking touch that weird alien tech, DON'T stick your data probe in that weird hole, when in doubt DO apply phosphex) will have a slight advantage here.

What I noticed immediately is how clear the UI is. It's by no means a simple game and the UI looks much more complicated than, say, the XCOM one, yet I had little trouble finding the information I needed at the time. The only thing that annoyed me was the zoom and over the top depth of field when you are close to the ground but the latter can be turned off of course. Oh and by the way, the game is in borderless fucking windowed mode from the start.

I can't speak for the strategic or tactical depth after one tutorial mission but I can tell from the amount of unlockable weapons, canticles, backpack items and what else you got that there is a lot of customization possible. The game stresses that there are always multiple ways to victory, too.

e: MechaniCUS! I'm not a heretek, I swear!

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
My impressions so far are roughly the same. The game makes a good job of conveying 40K crazy lore so far.
Note that despite people lumping it with XCOM, this really plays more like a (tactical) RPG, as you have full knowledge of the opponents, and the maps are rather small, and you go from one small encounter to the other.

I really like the way your core heroes are backed by troops you can sacrifice (actually, it was something I wanted to have in my own game).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Some more random thoughts:
The global "necron clock" ticks everytime you explore a room, or spend a turn fighting necrons. I find it really hard to gaughe whether I am doing good or not because of it.

Some of the COYA parts present you with trade-offs (ie: get some loot and activate more necrons in the later battles, or take a cautious approach), but other are straight "try to guess the correct choice", which I dislike.
The global clock encourages you to go through missions quickly.
I like the tactical part of the game so far, but here too, it is hard to know whether you are doing good or not.
I wasted the first necron boss, but it didn't slow the clock at all.

On the management part of the game, once you unlock an item, you can freely reproduce it, however, more powerful items require more "slots", which you get as your guys level up.
Leveling up is done by spending a currency, so you choose who to level up among your guys.
There are no classes, but 6 disciplines : melee, buffing troops, buffing heroes, healing, generating cognition(ie energy), ranged.
So there is an incentive to specialize, but you still can customize your characters the way you want.

Jinn

Arcane
After playing for about an hour and a half, I can safely say I'm getting way into this game. It has me hooked.

The combat is fun and there is a great amount of potential for interesting and varied tactical gameplay. This might be common knowledge, but even though there isn't a cover system, there is indeed still line of sight, and things to use to block that line of sight. For me, that's an excellent "cover system" and it fits the map design well from what I've seen so far. The armor system works well with the distinction of Physical Armor and Energy Armor, which is taken into account per attack, so different builds specializing in one or the other are definitely encouraged. Well-rounded damage builds too, for sure, but I can already see how the specializing is going to be coming in handy the most. Cognition Points (AP) are handled very well, in that there are a multitude of ways to replenish them through environmental and action-based means. Very cool mechanic. Damage isn't static, and there are also critical % chances, so there is still a bit of chance to be found in this "RNG-free" game. No hits miss, but with varying affects based on damage chance and armor type/amount.

What sealed the deal for me is the amount of potential customization that becomes apparent when you get to your ship (base) screen. Tons of weapons, skills, grunt units, canticles, base upgrades, and items to discover and equip throughout the course of a playthrough. I love this amount of customization RPG flare in my tactical game, and I'm very happy to see it implemented so well in the context of the setting. Likewise, the six disciplines have a variety of stat upgrades, and you're not locked to a discipline once you start learning from it, so the combination of potential character builds is quite varied.

Can't say much about exploration yet, but it seems like there will be plenty of branching paths and outcomes involved in it, which is nice.

Also not sure how I feel about the Awakening timer. I'm not sure how fast it accumulates, and how well you can prevent it from accumulating. I hope it give you enough time to enjoy the game without feeling super rushed, but a sense of urgency is nothing new to this type of game.

Aesthetics, atmosphere, writing and sound has been very enjoyable to me so far. Music is good.

For those interested, this seems very worth taking a closer look at. I look forward to diving deeper into it. Developers say they have plans to continue supporting it for awhile, so a lot more could end up getting added to the mix.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom