Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
THE PATCH won't be out until after Oct 22?

:negative:
Well it seems that i will finish Bard's tale 4 and insomnia before playing kingmaker again....might even finish "Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk".
There's an hotfix right now, ill tell you soon if its still completely fucked.
Looking at their fixes,they are still fixing chapter 2 and 3. There is a long way to go before the game becomes polished mate. I would rather have fun than be frustrated ;).

THE PATCH won't be out until after Oct 22?

:negative:
Well it seems that i will finish Bard's tale 4 and insomnia before playing kingmaker again....might even finish "Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk".
And then you will go back to P:K and realize the game requires at least 3 more "big patches". And that's assuming october 22 will be the date and it won't get postponed. :smug:
I am a four dimensional Großmeister,i do know that it will take at least a month :smug:,even installed Arcanum and Vampire.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Only skills that need activation should show and be selectable. Cleave feat gives an active skill but Cleave Finishing does not. It's automatic and always triggers when the conditions are met so it shouldn't be there. All is (probably) working as intended.

Other thing however is, if the feat itself works, as I've found recently they're wonky as well.

asterix

Educated
Unlike ye'olde classics this game is finishable, I was only able to finish Arcanum after a year. Thanks to lack of internet mostly but still..
Also there is Gothic 3 disaster...
This game is bug free considering older classics.

Together with Planescape: Torment, Arcanum is my favourite RPG ever, and the one time I actually played it the whole way through it hard-crashed right after winning the very last fight. Which took a good few tries to begin with, 'cause my sole gunslinger character was not optimised for it at all. I never got to find out how that playthrough ends...

Web spell is irritating, it needs to disappear when combat stops.

I have Harrim equipped with Dispel Magic purely so he can get rid of all the webs once the fighting's done. One of the precious few spell slots he has available for that level, permanently dedicated just for that.
Totally worth it

Cael

Arcane
archers are hilariously broken, I have no idea if it's a inherent flaw of pathfinder's PnP system or what

[...]
I have no practical experience with PnP PF in itself (sadly), just a lot of exposure and theoretics, but given that it's based on 3.5, I'd say it's actually the opposite. Sure, PF tried to deal with it in a variety of ways, and I'm sure all the feats are pretty much straight from the tabletop, but generally speaking, melee is superior to ranged. Of course, a lot of things that affect ranged effectiveness aren't factors in PF:K. For example, it's hilariously easy to score ranged sneak attacks in PF:K, whereas in PF/3.5, getting consistent ranged sneak attacks is something entire builds are based on. The game also largely favors nuking/focusing and pure damage-dealing, whereas positioning and the exposed nature of the ranged combatants are more of an issue on a tabletop.

It all just sorta adds up to making ranged vastly better than melee, 9 times out of 10, I guess. However, just so we're clear, let's not pretend Baldur's Gate/2 was any better on that point. I think it's just one of those things that are concept-based rather than pure numbers, and when it comes down to it, in order to stay competitive numbers-wise (which they have to in order to function as a viable choice), they end up being generally stronger because killing someone at range is simply inherently better than killing someone as they are stabbing you in the face. I know which I'd choose.
The problem with archers in PnP is quite simple: I cast Melf's Acid Arrow and sunder his wooden +1 flaming frost lightning splitting doom bow of doom.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
archers are hilariously broken, I have no idea if it's a inherent flaw of pathfinder's PnP system or what

[...]
I have no practical experience with PnP PF in itself (sadly), just a lot of exposure and theoretics, but given that it's based on 3.5, I'd say it's actually the opposite. Sure, PF tried to deal with it in a variety of ways, and I'm sure all the feats are pretty much straight from the tabletop, but generally speaking, melee is superior to ranged. Of course, a lot of things that affect ranged effectiveness aren't factors in PF:K. For example, it's hilariously easy to score ranged sneak attacks in PF:K, whereas in PF/3.5, getting consistent ranged sneak attacks is something entire builds are based on. The game also largely favors nuking/focusing and pure damage-dealing, whereas positioning and the exposed nature of the ranged combatants are more of an issue on a tabletop.

It all just sorta adds up to making ranged vastly better than melee, 9 times out of 10, I guess. However, just so we're clear, let's not pretend Baldur's Gate/2 was any better on that point. I think it's just one of those things that are concept-based rather than pure numbers, and when it comes down to it, in order to stay competitive numbers-wise (which they have to in order to function as a viable choice), they end up being generally stronger because killing someone at range is simply inherently better than killing someone as they are stabbing you in the face. I know which I'd choose.

In the original ruleset Sneak with ranged does not equate to flanking *at all*. In fact, I don't think you can flank with a ranged weapon. You must deny dex to the target to sneak them with ranged.
I know, but in PF:K, you don't flank with a ranged weapon either. What happens is that when someone is considered to be flanked, you can sneak attack them. So someone else flanks, and then you go to town.

Or, at least, that's how I've come to understand it.

Thonius

Arcane
8c5f54d78e275f7c4e2355d55cc4d63a.png

I love items like this! It's pretty strong on a barbarian with the Animal Fury rage power. (gives bite attack when Full Attacking)
I use it on DD Sorc with 25 STR I cant trip some serious shit's

Canus

Savant
So TRS, which is basically the podcast of the Irish conservative right, just uploaded an hour long review of Kingmaker, in a segment they do called Low Culture:incline:.
Haven't listened to it yet but they're a good group of lads, and generally know what they're talking about.

If it follows the format of the review they did before it'll be one guy who has played the game, probably fairly extensively, and one guy who hasn't played it at all discussing it.

https://soundcloud.com/therightsideirl/low-culture-02-pathfinder-kingmaker-the-never-ending-story

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Amiri's fixed! if you load an old save before getting the bug that is.. that means before chapter 4 start...

PrettyDeadman

Why haven't I seen suggestions for Eldritch Scion Dragon Disciple?

Shouldn't that be pretty boss?
Lookup nerd commando video on that.
It has euphoric stats at the end.
Not sure how long it takes to get going though...

haderlump

Literate
I feel it's a matter of time before they remove downloadable installers and it will all be done through their DRM platform.
Fixed that for you.
Speaking of DRM - people complain about DRM eating up their resources while they play a game. What about a a client like Galaxy which eats around 400 mb of ram in turn for counting your hours played and listing your unlocked achievements.
At least Galaxy is optional. For now.
That's why no one with half working brain uses Galaxy?
Well, Galaxy is helpful for updates if you have a lot of more recent games installed and don't want to manually download the patches all the time. I fire it up every few days to see if something updates and use the games original executables to bypass it when I want to play.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Lookup nerd commando video on that.
It has euphoric stats at the end.
Not sure how long it takes to get going though...
It should be pretty smooth. Magus works well on it's own, and by the time you qualify for Dragon Disciple, you've already got both the mechanics and the concept rolling well.

asterix

Educated
LoL, started with the same character, dwarven science freak.
It was hell :D

Yeah, mine was a loner human with high aptitude for tech, firearms and.. chemistry, I think? Or maybe electricity. It's been a while. High int and low charisma, mostly because the one thing I did not like about Arcanum was how cumbersome managing your followers' inventory was, so made a build around minimizing it. My sole follower was the dwarf dude, after having replaced Virgil who had to take a hike due to his magical healing being useless for me. Really need to replay that game with a high charisma character and a less-boring race.

fucking game crashes half the time you start it and it takes 5 minutes to start up
:argh:

The hell kind of rig are you playing on? Also, Windows, Mac or Linux?

Thonius

Arcane

I can get level 8 spells with 1 fighter 10 dd 9 Sorc levels. Eldritch scions sucks at 6th level. PASS
Plus I'll get 4 STR bonuses +3 armor +4 CON + 2 INT free breath weapon, form of dragons, claws and bite attack with elementals and magical damage. Transform to dragon use tenzer transformation and just roll over everything with like 40 rolls on atack.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
fucking game crashes half the time you start it and it takes 5 minutes to start up
:argh:
Haven't crashed for me even once in 30h...

It is. Best thing to do with the orc. In fact Dragon Disciple is so goddamn good, I even made Valerie through 4 lv of archeobard to salvage that 16 CHA.

Riel

Arcane
There are probably many even in this thread who do.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about something using 400 MB of my 32 GB RAM.
Tbh, I'd like to be able to get into a pro mode where I can see temp files and all to know wtf happenes when an update gets stuck adn try to fix it manually but for the most part it works decent enough and saves a lot of work to update games. Besides you don't need to start galaxy to play, you can directly start games without it
@Anyone else: Is the INT modifier for skill points working as intended? I'm getting 5 skill points/level with a Ranger of 16 INT? I get 6 points at level 1, then it drops to 5. Surely that's wrong?.
It says 6 https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/PFSRD:Ranger on the reference.
You get the bonus point every odd level. No idea if this is according to the ruleset, or a bug.

Apparently due computer version of the rules having less skills than PnP they halved the INT bonus to skill points, which probably means you get the fraction every odd level.

Turjan

Arcane
There are probably many even in this thread who do.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about something using 400 MB of my 32 GB RAM.
Ooh, 32? You must be one of those guys who disable their system page file :lol:
No. Resource hogs, like some other Unity game I won't mention, still need the page file (37 GB allocated according to sys info). I had to do that once to circumvent some stupid bug introduced by a Win10 update, but fortunately, that's in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom