Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's why no one with half working brain uses Galaxy?
There are probably many even in this thread who do.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about something using 400 MB of my 32 GB RAM.
Ooh, 32? You must be one of those guys who disable their system page file :lol:
No. Resource hogs, like some other Unity game I won't mention, still need the page file (37 GB allocated according to sys info). I had to do that once to circumvent some stupid bug introduced by a Win10 update, but fortunately, that's in the past.
For the record, I was joking. Disabling your pagefile is a running joke about gamers with little tech knowledge who try to fine-tune their system and end up breaking it. It's a bad thing to do in practice.

hexer

fucking game crashes half the time you start it and it takes 5 minutes to start up
:argh:

I had 2 crashes this morning for the first time.
The culprit was the latest Nvidia driver update which was released yesterday so I had to do a complete driver rollback to the version before it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alright, so I've extracted all the 2d "texture" files of the resources.assets as .png, and it's really interesting to see that they've kept all the old stuff in the files, and you can really see how the game has progressed style-wise, and I think they really settled on a good style for icons and such, only issue being that they've obviously gone through several revisions (most of the older ones prior to the current one being really fucking awful) and as we can see in the game, a lot of the placeholders are still left, which is annoying. It certainly explains why the icon for the Explosive Bomb doesn't fit the style of the regular bomb or the Acid Bomb.

That said, however... why.. why the fuck...

jciGWEw.png

...why the fuck is this in there? :lol: "EmojiOne-resources.assets-7538"

PrettyDeadman

Alright, so I've extracted all the 2d "texture" files of the resources.assets as .png, and it's really interesting to see that they've kept all the old stuff in the files, and you can really see how the game has progressed style-wise, and I think they really settled on a good style for icons and such, only issue being that they've obviously gone through several revisions and as we can see in the game, a lot of the placeholders are still left, which is annoying. It certainly explains why the icon for the Explosive Bomb doesn't fit the style of the regular bomb or the Acid Bomb.

jciGWEw.png

What did you use to estract? I tried what i recommended to you and it barely works.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, so I've extracted all the 2d "texture" files of the resources.assets as .png, and it's really interesting to see that they've kept all the old stuff in the files, and you can really see how the game has progressed style-wise, and I think they really settled on a good style for icons and such, only issue being that they've obviously gone through several revisions and as we can see in the game, a lot of the placeholders are still left, which is annoying. It certainly explains why the icon for the Explosive Bomb doesn't fit the style of the regular bomb or the Acid Bomb.

Lol, probably some default or placeholder asset from the Unity framework.

Sentinel

Arcane
Alright, so I've extracted all the 2d "texture" files of the resources.assets as .png, and it's really interesting to see that they've kept all the old stuff in the files, and you can really see how the game has progressed style-wise, and I think they really settled on a good style for icons and such, only issue being that they've obviously gone through several revisions (most of the older ones prior to the current one being really fucking awful) and as we can see in the game, a lot of the placeholders are still left, which is annoying. It certainly explains why the icon for the Explosive Bomb doesn't fit the style of the regular bomb or the Acid Bomb.

jciGWEw.png

placeholders for status effects?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alright, they don't expect me to actually believe this, do they? No way, José; burn me once, shame on you, etc.

GFlXBqL.png

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't see the other one underneath. Oh wow, they actually ended up splitting it into an installer and a .bin-file. Jesus Christ.

jciGWEw.png

What did you use to extract? I tried what i recommended to you and it barely works.
I used what you suggested and followed the guide, but I followed the link and downloaded the latest version of the extractor, so that might've made a difference, I dunno, but try that.

Do note that it may seem like it hangs at first when you open a file or select a lot of files for extraction, but it's just working. Also, you can select a lot of .assets-files at once and open them all. I first extracted the resources.assets, and I'm now in the process of extracting all the other .assets-files, which had over 11k .png-files. I'm really just flipping through it leisurely; all I really want is the portraits. I was going to share them later.

ArchAngel

Arcane
archers are hilariously broken, I have no idea if it's a inherent flaw of pathfinder's PnP system or what

[...]
I have no practical experience with PnP PF in itself (sadly), just a lot of exposure and theoretics, but given that it's based on 3.5, I'd say it's actually the opposite. Sure, PF tried to deal with it in a variety of ways, and I'm sure all the feats are pretty much straight from the tabletop, but generally speaking, melee is superior to ranged. Of course, a lot of things that affect ranged effectiveness aren't factors in PF:K. For example, it's hilariously easy to score ranged sneak attacks in PF:K, whereas in PF/3.5, getting consistent ranged sneak attacks is something entire builds are based on. The game also largely favors nuking/focusing and pure damage-dealing, whereas positioning and the exposed nature of the ranged combatants are more of an issue on a tabletop.

It all just sorta adds up to making ranged vastly better than melee, 9 times out of 10, I guess. However, just so we're clear, let's not pretend Baldur's Gate/2 was any better on that point. I think it's just one of those things that are concept-based rather than pure numbers, and when it comes down to it, in order to stay competitive numbers-wise (which they have to in order to function as a viable choice), they end up being generally stronger because killing someone at range is simply inherently better than killing someone as they are stabbing you in the face. I know which I'd choose.
The problem with archers in PnP is quite simple: I cast Melf's Acid Arrow and sunder his wooden +1 flaming frost lightning splitting doom bow of doom.
#1 Attacking items in hand with ranged weapon is not allowed by base rules. YOu need a nice GM that allows that.
#2 If you got a nice GM, you need to use that bad wizard BAB to hit a guy that has lots of Dex and deflection and you get an additional penalty on hitting the bow.
#3 Magical weapons don't have a few HP, acid does ignore hardness but you still need to eat through its HP which is increased with each +1 on the bow.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Alright, they don't expect me to actually believe this, do they? No way, José; burn me once, shame on you, etc.

GFlXBqL.png

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't see the other one underneath. Oh wow, they actually ended up splitting it into an installer and a .bin-file. Jesus Christ.
Them hotfixes are coming out faster than some of us are able to download the files.

Thonius

Arcane
Why haven't I seen suggestions for Eldritch Scion Dragon Disciple?

Shouldn't that be pretty boss?
Lookup nerd commando video on that.
It has euphoric stats at the end.
Not sure how long it takes to get going though...
Not sure bout magus but right now my figterf 1 sorc 4 dd 2 attacks with glaive +1 for 30-45 dmg (with power attack) and crits for 70 ez ( also cleave + finishing cleave, enlarge increases range of cleave).
Sawyers muscular wizard in work.

Last edited:

There is no greater feeling than buffing yourself with every single spell to become god then pressing charge on some poor bastard that gets one shot.

saeci

Arcane
Anyone else had a bug in act 3 where one of the cyclops incense burners was not given in the location where it was supposed to be given?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I keep seeing things about "annexing Oleg's" and having to deal with him not paying taxes. I annexed the Outskirts, but I'm not sure what else to do besides just wait for the event to pop up. I'm too paranoid of getting BTFO by trolls to really buckle down on the kingdom-building so far I guess.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but this game is absolutely fantastic, by the way. I'm taking my time with it because of the bugginess, but I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking, or anything a quickload didn't fix. I'd say the writing is on par with BG1/BG2 in that it's a mixed bag, mostly OK but occasionally really good or really shit, but there are a lot of typos in dialogues and menus. I certainly put it above D:OS writing though.
Companion writing and reactivity is really good, too - I just made Bartholomew stop torturing his troll and put it out of its misery (I have enough of them running around to deal with, after all), and Valerie and Octavia both weighed in. The back-and-forth with them did a great job of fleshing them out, reminded me of when my party would butt heads in BG2. :incline: Even the "stronk womyn" stuff isn't bad like I expected going in to the game, I thought Amiri was going to be really annoying but she is clearly insecure and just overcompensating because she has daddy issues with her entire tribe. I do find Octavia pretty annoying though, and Tristian is bland although I admittedly haven't used him very much.

Incidentally, this game got me to finally create an account here after like a decade of lurking (ever since I was trying to get Arcanum patched up for the first time). I really hope it starts to get more mainstream attention, I can't believe it still only has 3 Metacritic reviews compared to the hype train that D:OS and Pillars games generated.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Hideous Laughter requires target intelligence to be higher than 2 for you to be able to cast it. This, combined with penalties for Weak Enemies (default setting for enemy difficulty on Easy Mode and Story Mode), lead to the case that some enemies in this weakened state are too dumb to get the jokes.

:lol:

This game gives me so many nostalgia vibes of playing nwn2 as a little kid but the one good thing is that there aren't any disgusting teiflings like neeshka in this game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Here we go, all the portraits, extracted, plus some minor shit I wanted to keep when I saw it (mostly for personal (a)buse):

https://anonfile.com/705b6ci1b5/Extracted_Shit_Worth_Saving_7z

Be aware that depending on how sensitive you are, there may or may not be minor spoilers in certain portraits or file names of portraits.

That said, I think this really shows how few portraits there actually are in PF:K, and a bunch of those that exist are barely (if ever) seen, such as the animals. It's interesting to see that the full portraits (usually reserved for a character's Biography-page) are available for basically all characters that have portraits, even if we'll never get to see them. Usually you only see the mid-size portraits of NPC:s.

This game gives me so many nostalgia vibes of playing nwn2 as a little kid
But thankfully nowhere near as much cancer, I hope.
but the one good thing is that there aren't any disgusting teiflings like neeshka in this game.
You shut your whore mouth.

Parrots: 45
You're not even worthy of taking her name in your mouth, much less anything else. She was the sole good thing about that fucking abortion of a game.

:negative:

Risewild

Arbiter
There are probably many even in this thread who do.
I do, I do.

I use it to download games and patches while I am not home. Then when I'm back home, I just exit/close the darn thing and can play the game without having to manually install it and waste time while also not using galaxy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom