Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Vigilantes Released

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is happening to gog, for not accepting goodgames?
It's almost like a system based around a small group of people deciding what's worthy and what isn't will inevitably lead to decisions being made by the very personal and arbitrary criteria set by the aforementioned small group of people. Crazy, I know.

This is why I generally dislike curated systems, especially if politics and things start getting involved.

You may have to sift through a lot of shit on Steam, but at least it's the consumer that decides what is relevant.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Newsflash

Today, a person who's sick of turn based games, bought a turn based game so they could communicate to their two followers how sick of turn based games they are. More at 8...

Lgt22K3.png

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Newsflash

Today, a person who's sick of turn based games, bought a turn based game so they could communicate to their two followers how sick of turn based games they are. More at 8...

Lgt22K3.png

Oh please, you got off easy. This guy clearly states that he has shit taste AND uses "le current year" meme unironically. Either one of these things is reason enough for a reasonable person to disregard him. You're not losing a single potential customer over this.

You should've seen the level of disingenuous bullshit levied against AoD at its release. Lots of negative reviews spewing demonstrably false information about the game. Unlike your bad review, the reviews I read stated things that SEEMED to have merit and could only be debunked with actual first hand knowledge of the game. IMO that slimy approach is MUCH more effective at (unfairly) trashing a game's reputation.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Oh please, you got off easy. This guy clearly states that he has shit taste AND uses "le current year" meme unironically. Either one of these things is reason enough for a reasonable person to disregard him. You're not losing a single potential customer over this.

Agreed. Not posting because I'm worried. One of the members of the curator is the owner. I think it's funny.

You should've seen the level of disingenuous bullshit levied against AoD at its release. Lots of negative reviews spewing demonstrably false information about the game. Unlike your bad review, the reviews I read stated things that SEEMED to have merit and could only be debunked with actual first hand knowledge of the game. IMO that slimy approach is MUCH more effective at (unfairly) trashing a game's reputation.

Hadn't heard about that. That must have been incredibly frustrating for Iron Tower to deal with. It's an excellent game.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Since thesheeep was kind enough to gift me with a copy of Pathfinder, I'll pay it forward by buying a few copies of this and passing it on to people who hopefully will have the time to actually play it.

Thanks Haba! That's very good of you.

orcinator

Liturgist
What is happening to gog, for not accepting goodgames?
The slavs make 10 vaguelly nuCom inspired tactics RPGs every month so I guess they're just having a hard time sifting through the muck.
As am I since I watched the first few missions and am having a very hard time figuring out what sets this above other tactical shovelware like Fallen A2P protocol and Wasteland 2.

Last edited:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen games that looked bad, shit, worse, terrible, atrocious, and then is vigilantes creating a new scoring in the scale.

Anyway, I hope at least the tactical design is good, I'll think about picking it up after seeing some gameplay videos.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Not really the type of game I am interested in but hope it does well since it doesn't look like stereotypical indie trash and looks like actual effort was put behind it :salute:

Ainamacar

Educated
Yeah, I think explanation of systems is one of the weaker aspects. I added a help section in the last update, and will extend this in the future. I'll see what I can do on your suggestions - I have to be honest in that I can't devote a huge amount of more full time work to Vigilantes, but I was planning on devoting a set amount of time per week to working on it. Intention has always been to update the game after release, and put out a number of smaller, primarily content focused updates to freshen up the game for players who are looking to play a second time. Content typically brings the most benefit in relation to time spent, but I'll work on improving some of the more clunky aspects of the interface too.

Prioritize as you deem best, of course. If some salutary interface changes don't make it into Vigilantes, I hope they'll inform interface design in a future game!

Jinn

Arcane
This kind of developer and this kind of thread reminds me how actually friendly a place the Codex is. I love it.

:love:

Last edited:

Sundevil96

Educated
Completed Operations window (botton right hand corner) you have to hold down mouse button and move upward to scroll down in the list.

Morkar Left

Bought and downloading but I don't know if I should start a new game for now with so many still unfinished. Maybe waiting for a patch might be a good idea just to be sure. Even if this rpg seems to be one which isn't a bugfest on release as others recently...

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Bought and downloading but I don't know if I should start a new game for now with so many still unfinished. Maybe waiting for a patch might be a good idea just to be sure. Even if this rpg seems to be one which isn't a bugfest on release as others recently...

Cheers for the support Morkar! If you stick to the regular campaign, you should finish in the region of 15-20 hours. It won't take months to finish like a lot of RPGs. I'm having most problems on Mac, unfortunately. No bugs which are both serious and frequent reported so far, but there are a couple of smaller ones I'll look at soon.

Ainamacar

Educated
Finished the campaign at level 13. I'll try to throw together a concise Steam review sometime in the next few days. I'll note that I got nowhere near enough cash for all building upgrades, and even my best weapons were no more than half upgraded. Other than the boss fights, though, I was totally dominant for the last third of the game. I played on "Vigilante" difficulty, but in retrospect I wish I'd started on "Hard Boiled." Couldn't have known that beforehand, though.

Once you get to the point of being able to knock one boss around, you'll probably have the intel to do the other two in short order. It's almost a shame, I was really enjoying the ridiculous SMG the cultist leader drops. I know it would have been out of scope, but it would have been awesome if after taking out the first boss the game threw some kind of curveball showing the other factions' desperation. Events like joining forces, calling upon corrupt cops, or even hiring an on-call hit squad that sometimes shows up during regular missions.

I did notice that the sound for the fountain on the Mafia boss map is bugged. It always plays at full volume, even if sound effects are muted.

For games I've Kickstarted, chalk this one up under "no regrets." :salute:

Sundevil96

Educated
So doing a raid, with rain and lightening and I attacked an enemy at the same time and lightening and now everything on the screen is white.

white_error.PNG

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Finished the campaign at level 13. I'll try to throw together a concise Steam review sometime in the next few days. I'll note that I got nowhere near enough cash for all building upgrades, and even my best weapons were no more than half upgraded. Other than the boss fights, though, I was totally dominant for the last third of the game. I played on "Vigilante" difficulty, but in retrospect I wish I'd started on "Hard Boiled." Couldn't have known that beforehand, though.

Once you get to the point of being able to knock one boss around, you'll probably have the intel to do the other two in short order. It's almost a shame, I was really enjoying the ridiculous SMG the cultist leader drops. I know it would have been out of scope, but it would have been awesome if after taking out the first boss the game threw some kind of curveball showing the other factions' desperation. Events like joining forces, calling upon corrupt cops, or even hiring an on-call hit squad that sometimes shows up during regular missions.

I did notice that the sound for the fountain on the Mafia boss map is bugged. It always plays at full volume, even if sound effects are muted.

For games I've Kickstarted, chalk this one up under "no regrets." :salute:

Level 13's pretty early. It's a hard one to call concerning difficulty. I agree on the bosses, they are in the same area in terms of toughness. Which encounter did you like the most? Yeah, I do see the merit to something like that to scale the difficulty at the end, but as you noted, it would have been another big push on scope. In some ways, in relation to team size, the scope of the game was already too big.

Noted, I'll look at that.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
So doing a raid, with rain and lightening and I attacked an enemy at the same time and lightening and now everything on the screen is white.

white_error.PNG

Did it look like the lighting might have increased and not turned down again? Did ending turn fix it? Was it once off, or does it happen each time you load the level?

PEACH

Arbiter
Picking this up right now, looks great. I appreciate your presence in the thread/forum and I hope the launch has gone well for you so far :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom