Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Can't wait for a Larian Baldur's Gate game.

Always wanted to hear Sarevok and Irenicus discuss cats.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cant wait for Mcuck and danger hair squad to manage make even generic fantasy worse, that would be a really epic feat. Just a little dose of current year bullshit can do wonders.

There is a chance they are using the engine for DOS, but butchered TB with popamole rules isnt what I would call incline.

There is a chance Mcuck learned his lesson from NumaNuma and Wizards of the coast force Larian to use 5e rules, especially after Sword Coast Legends debacle but Im a cynic and Humanity isnt a learning animal...

You guise should keep in mind that BG 1 and 2 were rtwp, só there is a big chance for Bg3 to be as well because of popamolers expectations.

Larian arent composed of ruskie grognards but Belgian cucks so the chance of popamole is high on this one.

Dodo1610

Arcane
he documentary clearly said that one of their goals for DOS 2 was to create a canon for the Divinity series. Why would they do that if they want to make Baldurs Gate 3?
How many offices do they have right now in how many countries?

They have four offices in Belgium, Ireland, Russia and Canada, employing "over 150 people" according to their website. Additionally, they currently have job postings for 30 open positions.

How many projects do you need to occupy ~180 workers?

1 big or 2 smaller ones. Makeing only 1 big title is very risky and now that they have the resources to make more then 1 game at a time it's plain stupid. I am pretty sure that larian will announce their next game in 2019

Azarkon

Arcane
The Baldur's Gate story is over, and it ended with relatively few loose ends. A new series set in the city would not be particularly appealing - why Baldur's Gate? why not a different city? - and I don't see how it'd match up with today's Dungeons and Dragons players. The only benefit is the franchise name and potential nostalgia, but once people learn it's a different story with different characters, why would they bother?

A new Dungeons and Dragons game can be very successful. But they should be taking advantage of the recent revival of pen and paper in online contexts, and use settings that have become popular there.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
but once people learn it's a different story with different characters, why would they bother?

Because everybody would complain how the new Baldur's Gate doesn't match up with the older games after they bought it.

Is BG really a big name now or in 2 years?

I think it's big enough. So many cRPGs still name drop BG as reference or inspiration and people flock to it. Beamdog's entire existence can be attributed to their shitty EE remakes of BG and I bet the sales of those games are substantially higher than those of IW or PST EEs. BG2 is still considered to be one of the, if not the best cRPG by many.

Honestly, I could imagine that the brand would carry even more weight in two years than it does now. "Hey, Pillars was cool, but now it's finally time for the reeeel deeeeeel!!!" :shittydog:

Xeon

Augur
It will probably have similar to PoE1's popularity and sales if it comes out I think. Might get more sales if it has multiplayer or DOS kinda things or something maybe but don't think its the kinda thing that will sell millions or something.

Sentinel

Arcane
OMg! A sequel to Baldur's Gate that uses D&D 5E? That's so fucking awesome I can't w-

1538769619734.png
1538770324596.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Pathfinder proves that a new D&D rpg can be successful, it also proves that developers are more than willing to prey on this nostalgia and released fucked up unfinished versions of their games.

I have never played any baldur gate game and I liked the original sin series so I'm pretty happy.

Mustawd

Larian don't have to buy the IP, and "not working on BG3" doesn't rule out a BG game. These sound like strangely worded comments, though that could be on the people reporting it.

Fairfax is right. They can either license the IP, which is not the same as buying IP. They can also be hired to work on the IP with maybe some cool perks/incentives other no name developers moght not get (e.g. Nspace).

Pathfinder proves that a new D&D rpg can be successful

People have been getting a little too excited here. Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales numbers would probably be a BIG FAIL for Larian.

Sure, but it’s a pointless comparison as they don’t have the same production values or marketing sense.

Also, no MP or consoles right?

EDIT: Also, let’s get real here. A proper DnD game would do much better than some offshoot from more than a decade ago.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fuck Baldur's Gate and fuck the Forgotten Realms, they both suck. NPCs asking random strangers for help with their menial chores in a kitchen sink setting, isn't that the worst RPGs have to offer? Can't we get something new in a different setting? A non-generic D&D game?

I guess asking for this is all too fabulously optimistic. All one can say is: may the next BG installment fail spectacularly, so that the franchise remains buried forever. Its death would only be a mercy.

Elex

Arbiter
OMg! A sequel to Baldur's Gate that uses D&D 5E? That's so fucking awesome I can't w-

1538769619734.png
1538770324596.png
in the lore of 5e elf originally have no form and they are basically aliens. If the keep this stuff only for elf i’m fine.
Fuck Baldur's Gate and fuck the Forgotten Realms, they both suck. NPCs asking random strangers for help with their menial chores in a kitchen sink setting, isn't that the worst RPGs have to offer? Can't we get something new in a different setting? A non-generic D&D game?

I guess asking for this is all too fabulously optimistic. All one can say is: may the next BG installment fail spectacularly, so that the franchise remains buried forever. Its death would only be a mercy.
not random stranger: murderhobos. NPC give quest to murderhobo in the hope they get killed and never come back.

It's almost like by namedropping that he gets his name posted on game journo webpages. His name which is likely associated with a recently released game, bringing it exposure. Whatever did he mean by this?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
PCGamer article, nothing new except for a statement from Fargo: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-is-in-the-works-apparently/

As for Fargo, he declined to comment further, saying in an email only that he "really should not say more."

And what to make of this?

Eh? Huh? What?

Is it possible that Obsidian or inXile could do it? Obsidian did Tyranny on the side, so they definitely can do another RTWP under license. inXile looks like it'll be bankrupt soon, unless Wasteland 3 sells or something like BG3, where they ruin another beloved franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom