Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
What's all that? I never said it's not 50%, I said that if a character fails on a 50% chance in 6 straight tries, it's 1 out of 64 which I consider unlucky.

The whole game is based on RNG.

I'm seeing multiple issues in reading comprehension in here.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dora is fight where you go full retard. I tried to play if defensively like in tentacular fight and she raped me hard. She's very squishy, so i just used Rab's pep sleep for breathing window, changed him for Jade, Serena and Sylvando buffs and Hero and Jade start damage race. 3 turns and she's dead.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finally beat the auroral dragons. crafted +3 full moon necklaces and full moon ring (cant +3 it, too hard ) and got lucky. jade and hendrik dealing 700+ damage each/turn with oomphle + multitrhust and unbribled blade while sylv and rab heals and buff.

dora in grey is still the most rage-worthy boss, this fat noodle lizard come second

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just finished Act 2, the 'main' game. Phew, that was a pretty wild ride. Harder Monsters mode, 90 hours taken and MC lvl 70 with the rest mid to high 60's. Thanks god for Electro Light farming, that got me like 8 levels in 90 minutes.

Mordegon phase 1 was a LOT harder than phase 2. I might not have been optimal, but everyone had some form of dark resistance and some form of 'miss turn' resistance. If it wasn't for Hendrik's spell that sacrificed himself to res and full heal everyone I'd not have done it. Had to use that twice and was down to two characters alive at one point. I focused purely on Mord and not his shadow, not sure if that was correct or not but kept hoping the shadow would run out of SP! Never happened though.

Phase two was a cakewalk by comparison. Was never in real danger of losing, even targeted wrong head and had it brought back to life without problem. Everyone chipped in at some point apart from Sylvando who lost a lot of usefulness later on when other chars could do everything he could but better. Epic ending, but it took over an hour which was a bit of a pain when I had shit to do IRL!

Still maintain this is a fantastic game and anyone who pines for classic JRPG TB combat should get it without hesitation. Definitely play with harder monsters though, it's superbly balanced. Even after 90 hours I'm looking forward to firing it up again and exploring the post-game.

Fred

Learned
Just finished Act 2, the 'main' game. Phew, that was a pretty wild ride. Harder Monsters mode, 90 hours taken and MC lvl 70 with the rest mid to high 60's. Thanks god for Electro Light farming, that got me like 8 levels in 90 minutes.

Mordegon phase 1 was a LOT harder than phase 2. I might not have been optimal, but everyone had some form of dark resistance and some form of 'miss turn' resistance. If it wasn't for Hendrik's spell that sacrificed himself to res and full heal everyone I'd not have done it. Had to use that twice and was down to two characters alive at one point. I focused purely on Mord and not his shadow, not sure if that was correct or not but kept hoping the shadow would run out of SP! Never happened though.

Phase two was a cakewalk by comparison. Was never in real danger of losing, even targeted wrong head and had it brought back to life without problem. Everyone chipped in at some point apart from Sylvando who lost a lot of usefulness later on when other chars could do everything he could but better. Epic ending, but it took over an hour which was a bit of a pain when I had shit to do IRL!

Still maintain this is a fantastic game and anyone who pines for classic JRPG TB combat should get it without hesitation. Definitely play with harder monsters though, it's superbly balanced. Even after 90 hours I'm looking forward to firing it up again and exploring the post-game.
Gratz ! I'd say stop leveling right now, when I entered act 3 I used electro light to go to level 95+ and ruined all challenge. I still enjoyed it, but I walked over all bosses except the last one. So my advice is, don't use electrolight leveling again.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just got Rab and Jade. Fun times. I guess it’s time for orb hunting to begin.

How did you guys develop the new guys? I am tempted to make both use claws.

One last thing, I am sad to read about a certain character joining you, but I am not shocked that they do. Still, spoiler tags would have been appreciated. I think I’ll stay away from the thread until I beat the game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Rush Multithrust for Jade.
Rush Zing Stick for Rab.

Vacuum Smash was a good pickup for Jade after Multithrust for groups of 3+, while MT rocks single target and groups of 2. Jade's lategame damaging moves also benefit from high Charm, and high Attack, which puts Claws at a complete disadvantage to Spears.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Guys I'm going with these:

Greatswords for Hero
Knives for Erik
Heavy wands for Veronica and Rab
Claws for Jade
Wands for Serena
Swords for Sylv which seems wrong tbh and I think I'll respec to whips.

Apart from Sylv, any other suggestions? I'm going with difficult monsters.

I tried to beat next boss after Rab and Jade joined me and the motherfucker murdered me in a matter of minutes. It was late and I was very tired but it was way easy for it.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys I'm going with these:

Greatswords for Hero
Knives for Erik
Heavy wands for Veronica and Rab
Claws for Jade
Wands for Serena
Swords for Sylv which seems wrong tbh and I think I'll respec to whips.

Apart from Sylv, any other suggestions? I'm going with difficult monsters.

I tried to beat next boss after Rab and Jade joined me and the motherfucker murdered me in a matter of minutes. It was late and I was very tired but it was way easy for it.

Those weapons look good to me. I respecced out of daggers and into swords for Eric, but he was at daggers where you are now. That's a tough boss tbh, you'll need to go in with most people pepped up and probably use care prayer first off. Out of the early game bosses, that was one of the closest wins I had and I felt I was a bit overleveled just before it.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
90 hours taken and MC lvl 70 with the rest mid to high 60's.

Holy shit where'd you go to farm metals? I've been holding off on hardcore xp until I can get to whatever the equivalent of the slime island is in this game. All my chars were sub-60 for the final fight of act II. And yet somehow I have over 140 hours in the game at this point :D. I credit my autistic devotion to the forge, I must have spent 50+ hours on just forging/reworking alone so far.

Dont open if you havent visit arboria the second time

yes, but you'll feel somewhat better about it once you explore the new and improved Serena's skill tree. Spell Echo as a passive skill instead of a pep power?! YES PLEASE! She also starts getting insane (and I mean like triple what everyone else does) stat and skill gains on level up.

How did you guys develop the new guys? I am tempted to make both use claws.

I chose claws for Jade and backup nuker/debuffer for Rab. I personally find it very useful to have a second reliable sap/dazzle caster for when I REALLY want to pour on the damage asap. And Right as Rain is pretty sweet once Rab's Mending has been developed a little. It heals 30+ per turn for me currently. Super efficient in long fights.

claws sucks, spear for jade and rod for robert

Claws don't suck but they have to be developed a little differently, and there's some trade for survivability. I built Jade as a crit monster, and once she has
Crimson Claws (crit bonus that scales up to 8% at +3), Belle's Bow (+6 MP/turn) and Re-Vamp (self Oomph)
she becomes a machine gun critter that can just spam Hard Claw forever. My Jade can hit 800 dmg/turn with no buffs, and she can break 1k against a debuffed boss while under her skill's effect. And she's healing for 100+ hp/turn, so she's very difficult to kill unless a boss is able to one/two-shot her and chooses to focus her for a full turn (unlikely). She's also imo the best metal killer once she gets fully kitted out for crit with multikick. Only Hendrik can come close with Hatchet Man. YMMV.

I am having such a blast with this game, I haven't had a playtime over 100 hours since Final Fantasy VII/Breath of Fire III. I love forging, I love the skill tress, I love the difficulty (I'm under no flee/no xp for easy fights/super strong monsters), I find the story ridiculously charming in its simplicity and homey-ness (sp?), and I love how the plot has unfolded, taking twists and turns
I just got the Ultimate Key, for those that far along.

Over 140 hours so far and I can easily see myself sinking another 30 for the sake of levelling and crafting the "best of the best" stuff.

:love:

In Sylvando's case, I've rarely used any of his weapon skills. Buffing up others with Oomph or providing backup heals with sobering slap and hustle dance keeps him busy enough, so I've always slapped a shield on him. I'll keep useable equipment like prayer rings and wands in his inventoryHis non-weapon trees are where it's at. Although I did spec into Whips just enough to unlock one of his hidden skills, Wyrm Whip (i think?) which can strip all buffs off an enemy. Pretty useful for bosses that get pepped up at inopportune times.

I also like claws for rab, if only for the +evade chance when claws are equipped. Though that's more of a nice thing to have to be saved for later and not as much of a priority as his spellcasting stuff.

As an aside I hope people continue modding this game and start putting in more Draconian Challenges like no hp/mp recovery on level-up and reduced character inventory size.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
90 hours taken and MC lvl 70 with the rest mid to high 60's.

Holy shit where'd you go to farm metals? I've been holding off on hardcore xp until I can get to whatever the equivalent of the slime island is in this game. All my chars were sub-60 for the final fight of act II. And yet somehow I have over 140 hours in the game at this point :D. I credit my autistic devotion to the forge, I must have spent 50+ hours on just forging/reworking alone so far.

Electro Light farming method, only click if you need to level up before late boss and you're quite far along in the story. Not sure if if it's viable at lower levels without Erik's 'guaranteed crit' move and other chars 'low chance but crit' abilities.

Put MC/Sylv/Jade/Rab in the team and go somewhere near a zone line with mobs that don't do annoying shit like confuse or sleep. I picked the bottom of Heliodor near the Manglegrove zone line and fought those little tiger cubs. Electro Light changes the mobs to metals whatever, so any low level mob works.

Defend constantly until chars start to Pep up. Swap people out as needed until all the above 4 are pepped up. Beat the mobs and finish the combat. Go to zone line, cross over and come back for the autosave. (I tried to fight in Manglegrove but got message 'not enough room for Electro Light.)

Now the fun starts. Start another combat and use Electro Light first go. If you don't get metal mobs, don't waste the pep on the killer robots, ESC out and reload autosave. If you do get metals, use any crit moves like Thunder Thrust until you get to Rab's turn, then use Dirge of Dundrasil. Hopefully all mobs are asleep and you can use the crit moves on Erik/ Jade/ Serena (if Spear)/ No8 to kill the mobs.

If you want to use Haullelujah to get double the XP, you'll need to use a Pep pip on Jade and Focus on MC while Erik is pepped, but it'll get you loads of XP.

Each run took me just over 10 minutes and netted me a level each time all through the 60's. 2 if I used Haullelujah.

Hyperion

Arcane
This strategy doesn't work if you have the No XP from Weaker Monsters Draconian Quest on. When I do it, I need to fight something that gives XP, kill one of them, then proceed to follow the spoilered strategy. Just limits the areas you can do it in, other than that it's the same.

Villagkouras

Arcane
So, about this particular boss around level 24:

I remembered that an old lady fires a cannon, she told me she does it every morning or evening. I figured that I had to wait until that time and go fight then, expecting her to fire the cannon, but I couldn't remember which time of day she mentioned. So, after banging my head on the wall a few times I went there and she actually gave me the cannon! The fight becomes much more manageable with it, I only lost once before killing it. My party was Hero, Erik, Veronica and Rab, some other composition could be better but after seeing that Erik made him sleep fairly easily with Sleeper Hit, I wanted Rab/Hero for Snooze, Veronica for Sap and Erik for Persecutter. The time I killed him he didn't regenerate his tentacles which was the tipping point.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Don't go Knives for Erik once you can do Divide + Falcon Slash: there's too much setup if you do knives + Divide.

When you can use Fatal Slash you can skip knives entirely.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I wish I hadn't used the Awesome Button on final boss. It was over in five turns with MIghty Magic Burst.

Sòren

Arcane
this is my first Dragon Quest game besides Dragon Quest Monsters that i played when i was like eleven or twelve years old. i'm amazed how good it is compared to all the bullshit i'm used to in western rpgs, especially in writing department. gameplay wise it's just challenging on draconian mode, i don't think you have to put too much effort if played on normal (tried that in the first few hours). but those characters and the story, how simply and the same time deeply those things are handled is wonderful, i even like that faq Silvando....i was very much surprised how much background story you get for your pc and companions and other npcs that take a bigger part in the story. the humour is great too. don't have much more to add to that, it's just a great game.

Ivan

Arcane
This will also be my first DQ. What is the proper difficulty for this since I heard normal is baby mode?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom