Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
So I guess Power Torment got fired, laid-off or quit.

He was the only one proclaiming episodic content as the new messiah.

Guess he was wrong. (He was)

Zep--

You wish. I am still alive and kicking and still at IOI. Just busy working on the new game, thats all.

I don't think proclaimed anything. I just explained the rationale for doing what we did for Season 1. It worked, but we just believe it has too many downsides to be worth repeating.

Hines

Savant
The sequel looks fan-fucking-tastic, PowerTorment. The return of the suitcase and the video insert for being spotted by cameras are basically the only improvements I wanted. Hope it's a massive success for IO.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Hitman also got 2 free episodes, so that definitely boosted numbers.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I can't resist that offer, even if my current PC can barely play Hitman 2016. I'll get it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
PowerTorment Hey, I'm curious now. Will you be replacing the tutorial in Hitman 2 or will you just reuse the Hitman 2016 tutorial? The Hitman 2016 tutorial could easily be adapted for some of the new features in Hitman 2.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Also many previews.

"Hitman 2's new levels feel like the series at its peak": https://www.pcgamer.com/hitman-2s-new-levels-feel-like-the-series-at-its-peak/

"HITMAN 2 HANDS-ON: AGENT 47 TAKES HIS TALENTS TO SOUTH...AMERICA": https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/08/hitman-2-hands-on-agent-47-takes-his-talents-to-southamerica

"We Go Hands-On With Hitman 2's Colombia Levels": https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/10/08/the-jungles-of-santa-fortuna

"Hitman 2’s AI wants to help you kill it in the coolest ways" https://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman-2/hitman-2-ai

"Hitman 2 Hands-on Preview: Cruising in Colombia" https://www.shacknews.com/article/107742/hitman-2-hands-on-preview-cruising-in-colombia

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman-2/hitman-2-colombia-santa-fortuna

Hitman 2’s Colombia level lets you take selfies and stab a man with a tattoo pen
Santa Fortuna provides an overgrown, but much less crowded, playground in which to murder bad people

Celebrity tattooist P-Power is so nervous about the prospect of working on cartel boss Rico Delgado’s neck piece that he failed to notice his bartender poisoning his beer. Well, to be fair it wasn’t his bartender per se, it was me. The chap who was originally serving his beers is now sleeping off a concussion in some long grass just outside the window, wearing nothing but his smalls and a couple of fresh bruises.

I hadn’t planned on knocking out the bartender, you understand, but I ran into an unexpected complication. I needed to find a way to get close to Rico, holed up in his heavily fortified mansion, and P-Power’s open invite was perfect. My carefully laid plans rapidly fell apart when the barman recognised me, however.

Well, didn’t recognise me, if we’re being specific – I was dressed as a drummer when I rocked up to his small bar in the Colombian village of Santa Fortuna. How was I to know that the guy serving the drinks was bosom buddies with the sleeping percussionist whose clothes I stole earlier?

The bar was idyllic when I arrived. Located in a picturesque spot at the far end of the village, sat between jungle-covered cliffs and a collection of rickety shops, shacks, and walkways built on the riverbank. If you ignore the cocaine lab 100 feet down the road it’s quite lovely. My presence rapidly destabilised the region, though.

I’d donned the drummer disguise as part of an aborted plan to join a band – one scheduled to play at the unveiling of a new, suspiciously unlevel statue of Rico in the centre of the village. Our aggrieved barman alerted the heavily-armed authorities, however, and a game of cat-and-mouse ensued. Ducked into the long grass, I did my best to stay out of sight while tossing coins at the also-heavily-armed militia guarding the coke lab’s entrance.

I managed to lure one into the elephant grass and throttle him, but I wasn’t slick enough and got spotted in the process. At that point I had two sets of ethically questionable authorities hunting me, and only greenery and guile to get me back on an even keel.

I emerged from my shrubbery sojourn next to the bar again, having somehow eluded every gun looking for me – there, on the wall, was a fuse box. I flipped the switch, naturally, waited for the barman to investigate, clobbered him when he did, nicked his clothes, ran back into the bar while P-Power was on the phone, tipped some rat poison into his beer, and dashed around to the other side of the bar. Now I’m cleaning it while waiting for him to take another sip. Outside, dozens of men are scouring the area, guns drawn. I’m not even sweating, because I’m a professional. A bullet-riddled professional.

P-Power soon heads for the toilet, and I follow. We all know what happens after I close the door (although I can’t be sure whether Agent 47 uses a ballpoint or permanent marker to recreate P-Power’s sleeve tattoo), and after a short walk I knock on the giant wooden gates of Rico’s mansion. Inside, I’m frisked, and then led past dozens of armed guards to meet Rico’s wife – she tells me about her dissatisfaction with his tattoo’s resemblance to her, we pose for a selfie, and then she leads me into his office.

Rico’s overzealous personal bodyguard refuses to leave at first, so I just get on with inking my soon-to-be victim. Asking Rico to stay still prompts him to chide his close protection for making him nervous, and ask the guy to leave the room. Shortly after he pulls the door to, I jam the tattoo pen into his ear and drag the body into his en suite bathroom. Not the kind of cover up Rico was expecting, I’m sure.

My escape is somewhat messy: out the window, Rico’s car keys in hand, down a supporting beam, and over to the garage where I find his sports car. I can’t figure out how to get into it, so I nervously walk out the front gate, instead. This convoluted series of events sees off just one of Santa Fortuna’s targets – fellow cartel bosses Jorge Franco and Andrea Martinez are still at large – and brings an end to my hands-on demo.

Santa Fortuna is a sprawling map, but is much more sparsely populated than the Miami level. It makes you feel more exposed, denied the easy disappearing act large crowds allow, especially given the sheer number of patrolling guards armed with automatic weapons. Your marks will wander significant distances, too – Rico can also be squashed under that perilous statue in the village, for example.

While I have a soft spot for Hitman’s denser urban settings, Santa Fortuna’s flowing geography makes for an enticingly open level that satisfies in its own ways. From this brief look, there certainly appears to be no shortage of emergent possibilities, and the combined presence of revelling tourists and heavy armed forces makes for a uniquely tense atmosphere.

My next opportunity to dip in will be November 13, the Hitman 2 release date, but for now I’m going to practise my jungle stealth tactics in the garden I keep failing to mow.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-progression-and-difficulty/

HITMAN 2 – Progression and Difficulty

HITMAN 2 will launch in just over a month! It’s an incredibly exciting time for everyone at the studio as we gear up to release of a game that we’re very proud of. As part of those preparations, we’ve recently invited media to IOI and we’ve traveled across the world to showcase our game.

As part of their preview coverage, we’ve given them (almost) unrestricted access to Miami and Colombia as well as a new game mode, all of which you’ll hear more about in the coming days and weeks. In fact, a lot of it has already been released.

Alongside all of that coverage, we wanted to give you some info on two of the areas that you’ll see for the first time now that the embargoes have lifted; progression and difficulty.

We’ve already seen lots of discussions about these two areas and so to give you the best insights, we’ve invited HITMAN 2’s Lead Game Designer, Andreas Krogh, to talk about our aims and ambitions for these two areas and what you can expect from them when the game launches.

HITMAN 2 Progression

Andreas: The HITMAN 2 progression system is centred around mastering locations. As you level up the Mastery track for each location, you unlock starting locations, agency pickups and new items that give you new options to take on each mission in new ways. Progress can be achieved by either completing Challenges or earning Performance XP.

Performance XP is a new system and acts as a second avenue to accumulate experience points. The Performance system awards a small amount of XP for doing moment-to-moment actions during a playthrough, like taking someone out silently, hiding a body or killing a target. By default, Performance XP will be displayed as you perform the action in-game, but this can be toggled on or off in Settings.

To visualize your overall progress and time investment into HITMAN 2, we created a Player Profile that levels up according to your total XP earned. There’s also a player badge that is the visual representation of your profile level. Both Mastery and Performance XP are funneled into the Player Profile as well as the Mastery Track, leveling both up as you progress through the game. Outside of those two systems, we’ve also added more items that can be unlocked by completing specific Challenges.

Both XP systems will also work on the Season One locations within HITMAN 2 if you own the Legacy Pack. Because of that, we’ve tweaked the mastery tracks for the Legacy locations so that they give a more directed progression of unlocks and the ambition is to give you something valuable whenever you invest time into the game.

Miami_syringe-1024x576.jpg

HITMAN 2 Difficulty Levels

Andreas: Hitman has historically always been a hard game to pick up and we are taking steps to make the game more approachable while still keeping the core that current players like. We want our difficulty levels to offer something to both new players, experimenting players and veterans, etc.

For HITMAN 2, we will have three difficulty levels; Casual, Professional and Master to try and do just that.
  • Casual is made to give new players an easier way into the game. It will also give all players an easier way to mess around with the world and see what happens without fear of failing.
  • Professional is the default entry point and balanced to give players a feeling of being a true assassin, using all of the game’s intricate mechanics together with their ingenuity to assassinate their targets.
  • Master is for the player that needs an extra challenge. Combat will be extremely hard and the NPCs will be more aware of their surroundings, making stealth gameplay a greater challenge too.
As with the progression system, all of our difficulty levels can be selected on the Legacy locations within HITMAN, 2 if you have them. There’s also some unlocks that can only be earned by completing challenges on specific difficulties to give you ways to show you’re a true Master!

Professional-1024x515.png

There you have it. Three difficulty levels, a new Player Profile and a new progression system for HITMAN 2 at launch. Exciting stuff! You may notice from the screenshot above that we have re-named ‘Opportunities’ to ‘Mission Stories’. They’ve also been added to the above menu so that you can choose one to track before you launch the mission.

Look out for more details about HITMAN 2 coming this week and next! It’s all getting very real and we cannot wait to see the reactions!

/Travis

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Cool that they are giving more difficulty options, the difference between normal and professional in 2016 was really lame because it basically just feels like they watched some Youtube videos of strategies that work well and made it so that you can't use them. I hope that the DLC in the game isn't too crazy, but the standard, silver and gold editions aren't really comforting, especially with how vague it is. I guess that's something people will see when the game launches. I also hope Denuvo won't be in the game, but I have a hunch that it will be since WB Games is publishing it and they will probably push for it, as Square Enix did.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is this Dark Souls of Hitman game?: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ost-mode-hitman-2s-new-1v1-online-multiplayer

Hands on with Ghost Mode, Hitman 2's new 1v1 online multiplayer
Silent Apparition.

Hitman 2 will release with a brand new 1v1 competitive online multiplayer mode called Ghost Mode.

This is the first time that stealthy slaphead Agent 47 has indulged in any kind of competitive multiplayer, although the recent Sniper Assassin mini-game did offer a taste to series fans.

Ghost Mode pits two players against each other in a race to be the first to take out five targets undetected. Whilst players are given the same targets and are able to see each other in-game, they actually exist in separate instances. This means their actions will not affect the other player's world.

As you'll see in my hands-on video above, this added competitive edge really ramps up the tension and forces you to rethink the way you approach your targets. It takes a lot of self restraint to stay stealthy when you can actually see the other player approaching your target ahead of you and, in my experience, this led to a lot of collateral damage.

So why now and why competitive multiplayer? I put that question to Eskil Mohl, Associate Game Director on Hitman 2.

"One of the things we always found is that it's actually extremely competitive, Hitman. But it's a single player game so we have all these people trying to compete and do it the fastest, the most silent and whatnot and we thought 'there's such a big added layer when you're actually competing in real time against someone else.'

"So we really wanted to pursue that, just as we also wanted to bring coop as we showed off in the Sniper Assassin mode. Now we wanted to do the opposite and see what that gives you, but we wanted to do it in a way that was true to the mechanics we have. Sometimes we couldn't or didn't have any intention of saying 'Alright, let's just unleash two people in a map and stuff and have them shoot at each other' because other games probably do it better than what we can do with our systems currently, and you've seen it before.

"So we wanted to take it somewhere else [and] it needed to feel like a new take on a multiplayer experience and that's what makes me really happy when I play. My mind sort of thinks 'what is going on?' but when I'm in it I feel like it's a sensation I haven't tried in any other game and then it's extremely tense."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official post and trailer: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-ghost-mode/

HITMAN 2 – Ghost Mode

Ghost Mode is a brand new game mode for HITMAN 2 that introduces competitive multiplayer for the first time ever in the franchise! It’s a 1v1 online mode that will put all of your assassination skills to the test as you compete against your opponent to eliminate targets quickly and cleanly to take the win. We’re incredibly excited to share the first details with you in the Ghost Mode Gameplay Trailer:

Ghost Mode challenges you to earn 5 points before your opponent by eliminating targets. To earn a point, the kill must be unnoticed and the body cannot be found for a short time afterwards. You’ll also lose a point for eliminating non-targets, so be smart and precise. Once one target has been eliminated, both players will begun the hunt again with a new target. To help you in your mission, you can pick up items, disguises and weapons from Ghost Crates. The items in each one are randomised but they are the same for you and your opponent. You can only take one item from each Ghost Crate and doing so removes that item as a choice for your opponent.

HITMAN2_Ghost_Mode_Subdue-1024x576.jpg

The unique twist with Ghost Mode is that each player is in their own ‘reality’, where youractions only affect your reality – but you’ll always be able to see a ‘Ghost’ version of your opponent. You’ll see exactly what they’re doing, what they’re wearing and any items they’re holding. One key strategic element in Ghost Mode is the use of Ghost Items, as these are the only way to impact your opponents reality. For example, throwing a Ghost Coin will attract attention in your reality, but will also do so in your opponents reality.

You’ll get Picture-in-pictures updates along the way and an announcer will keep you informed about key elements in the match. In the screenshot below, you can see that Player 2 has eliminated their target and Player 1 now has 20 seconds to equalize the score and earn a point. After those 20 seconds, a new target will be selected. Player 1 would be advised not to panic, because if a player is killed at anytime, they will be spawned back into the location but will retain their disguise and combat status. No points are lost upon death.

HITMAN2_Ghost_Mode_Countdown-1024x576.jpg

Ghost Mode is a brand new game mode that we’re excited to hear your feedback on. When we launch HITMAN 2 next month(!), Ghost Mode will be available on Miami and we’ll be adding more locations shortly after launch, including World of Assassination locations through the Legacy Pack. We’ll also be working to improve Ghost Mode post-launch with updates and tweaks.

That’s our part of kick-starting this discussion and we hand it over to you to tell us what you think. Find us on Twitter or we’ll be reading in the Forum and on Reddit.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's cool as hell, I discussed the idea of a multiplayer Hitman mode with a friend and I didn't actually think it would happen.

Ivan

Arcane
Novel idea. What happens if you don't meet the countdown? Auto defeat?

Heh, the more I think about this mode, the more questions I have. Color me excited.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Instead of bringing back everything they removed from Blood Money (body bags, blood and trails of blood that could be followed by the guards, human shields, looking through keyholes, weapon upgrading and other things I can't remember now) they add multiplayer. Whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman-2/hitman-2-multiplayer-ghost-mode

Hitman 2’s Ghost mode feels unlike anything the series has ever done
Io Interactive’s new 1v1 mode introduces competitive multiplayer to Hitman in spectacular style

Hitman_2_ghost_mode_header_1920x1080.png

For Hitman 2, Io Interactive is introducing a brand new 1v1 multiplayer mode called Ghost. Unlike the co-op Sniper Assassin, however, Ghost mode is a competitive game type that pits two deadly killers against each other in a race to reach five kills.

Both players can see each other, but they exist in their own instances of the same level, and appear as a ghost to one another. You can see what your opponent is wearing, and even their actions at any given time, but it won’t correlate with your own targets, crowds, and events, as they’ll be reacting to a different situation.

For a kill to count towards your score it has to go unnoticed. This leads to a panicked game of cat and mouse as you locate and then follow each assigned target, waiting for them to move through an unpopulated area of the map before you strike, all the while knowing that your opponent may have engineered a situation that will land them the point quicker.

And once you execute your target, there’s a 20-second countdown timer to sit out before you get the point – if some hapless innocent walks in on you, it’s all over. And if you accidentally – or, indeed, purposely – execute any non-targets, you’ll lose a point, too. It’s brilliant, stressful stuff.

To aid your killing spree, there are ghost crates dotted about the level that supply you with random items. Unlike targets – where two separate opportunities exist – crates exist in both realities, and their contents are shared between players. As such, if you take something from a crate you deny the other player the opportunity to use that weapon or disguise.

This profoundly changes the feel of the game as you switch from careful planning to reactive instinct, always falling forward and adjusting to whichever situation comes up. Brilliantly, there are also items that can interact with both realities, such as the ghost coin, which will distract targets and other NPCs in your opponent’s world as well as your own. It sets up fantastic opportunities for mischief and misdirection. (Even more so than my recent calamitous hands-on with Hitman 2’s Columbia level, Santa Fortuna.)

I got to play the new mode for a raucous hour, reaching four kills before hubris and ill-considered revenge brought me back down to three, which led to a fist-shaking draw. Afterwards, I spoke to Io senior community manager Travis Barbour about how Ghost mode came about, what high-level play will look like, and why it feels quite unlike anything the Hitman series has done before. (Oh, and don’t forget the Hitman 2 release date is November 13.)

PCGamesN: Ghost mode is a fascinating change of pace.

Travis Barbour: It’s part of a bigger ambition that we have to introduce new ways to play Hitman. We have the single-player mode that was adored generally – what Hitman does is unique. Then we had the online sniper missions with Sniper Assassin, which is actually a game mode in itself, and there will be more maps for that in Hitman 2 – it’s not just a stand alone pre-order thing, it’ll be in the game from the get-go. Then Ghost mode allows us to go a little more competitive.

Where did the idea originate from?

We saw a strong speedrunning community in season one – that was part of the inspiration. Obviously multiplayer is a cool thing. We wanted to try and see how that would work for Hitman. We didn’t just want to add multiplayer into Hitman, but do Hitman multiplayer. There’s a big difference for us that it feels like Hitman with a competitive edge. You still play the game as you normally would, just you want to do it a little bit quicker. But not necessarily – if you want to play a little bit slower you can, it just depends who you’re up against.

We use the analogy of having a buffet: we have the single-player campaign, we have the online co-op missions, and now we have a competitive multiplayer mode as well. So we’re providing lots of different ways to play Hitman – some people might like more than others, some people might like all of them. It’s also based on the Escalation Contracts that we had in the previous game, where things get progressively harder and more difficult. That theme is also in Ghost mode, where the longer you go the higher the risk that you’ll get spotted or caught.

You can’t reset your combat state, so if people are searching for you and you’ve run out of disguises that can be used, it gets increasingly more difficult. If you’re a pro player that might not happen, but for most people the tension ramps up. I think the combination of all those things is what led us towards having Ghost mode.

What does high-level play in this mode look like?

When you play against someone who is kind of the same level as you, and is good on their general Hitman knowledge or map knowledge, the games get really, really tense. We’ve seen some matches in the office that finished 5-4. And we had one insane match that was 4-2, and then it flipped so that the other guy won 5-3. When high-level players are competing it’s really polished and very cool to watch, but even if you’re brand new to the mode it only takes two or three matches, I think, before you fully understand what Ghost mode is.

You start to realise how things can be useful, so you’re never too far away from that next level of understanding, and that next layer of depth. It’s not as unapproachable as some multiplayer modes can be because you are by and large responsible for what you do – it’s just about doing it that little bit quicker, and the stakes can rise as you see what your opponent does. Another cool thing that it adds is that it can go in any direction depending on the items you get in the crates, what your opponent gets, and whatever items they throw into your reality. There’s a dynamism there that single-player doesn’t necessarily have.

Was there ever a point in development where you considered having players compete in the same reality?

No – we ruled that out quite quickly because it just wouldn’t work. It’d be unfair if one person just starts shooting and you’ve got to deal with chaos in the whole level. We thought it’s more interesting that you’re kind of responsible for your own reality, as we call it, even though there’s crossover.

Can you tell me more about Ghost items?

Ghost items interact between both realities: I can throw a coin and my target reacts to it, but your target would react to it as well. But If I’m the first one to eliminate the target, then that 20 second countdown starts for me – my target’s dead, so if I then chuck the coin your target will start moving somewhere you potentially don’t want him to be.

What other Ghost items will there be?

Right now we only have the coin. The mode is in beta so these decisions are still being made – whether there will be two types of coins, whether there will be other ghost items. Those really, really small details are still being decided, but we’re thinking of some cool ideas for what other Ghost things there could be. It’s very exciting.

The ghost crates crate a really interesting dynamic.

Yes! The single-player for most Hitman games is often about planning and preparation. Whereas, in Ghost mode, as you start with no items you rely on either getting up close and personal with all your targets, picking up items that you find on the way, or the useful items in the Ghost Crates.

But it adds this strange element where you open a crate, and there’s a disguise you can pick up, and you kind of have to mentally map out whether that’s a good choice for you. You might take a disguise that’s good for one target, but then when the new target appears you’re trespassing in that disguise and you have to find another disguise that’s somewhere else, or find another Ghost Crate.

There’s a huge amount of depth in the mode that doesn’t really become apparent until you’ve played it a few more times. We’ve obviously played it a lot, and we’ve had tournaments where people are screaming and shouting. I had one moment where we were 4-4, and we both took the target down in the last second, so we were waiting for the final results screen to see who won. I saw it flash up that I had the five and I jumped out of my seat, and the guy opposite me was like, ‘Come on!’.

The more you play it, the more strategies surface. Sometimes you might be in control, and other times you open a crate and there’s just one item left, and you’re like, ‘Ok, how can I use a golf club in this situation?’.

Cadmus

Arcane
fucking shit ghostmode who gives a fucking shit
LOL WE ARE AFRAID THE PLAYERS WOULD KILL EACH OTHER OR "TROLL" SO THE MULTIPLAYER IS ACTUALLY A SINGLEPLAYER WITH A TIMELIMIT
LOL
fuck shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom