Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Know any decent gaming podcasts?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I got used to listening to Three Moves Ahead, which was a pretty cool podcast focused on strategy video and board games that talked a lot about game mechanics and what made stuff interesting. But it's gotten steadily more and more shit, and I've got to finally abandon this thing because it's become some sort of shitty SJW sermon thing now where they review baby's first tactics games and go off on tangents about how problematic a TV show they watched is because the black characters aren't all saints. Roguelike Radio was interesting too but they've drifted off into mostly crappy indie shit.

Anyone listen to something good still being produced? It's hard to find the good shit amidst all the garbage ones that are just talking about the latest mario/EA/Bethesda shovelware. Hell, I'd settle for another old one if it was decent.

HansDampf

Arcane
and go off on tangents about how problematic a TV show they watched is because the black characters aren't all saints.
Is that in the "What have we been doing this week" section nobody ever wants to listen to in any podcast?

I've been listening to DevGameClub on and off. Two game devs playing and discussing old games like a book club. As game devs they can sometimes offer an interesting perspective. My main issue with them is that, whenever they are discussing a game I've played, I notice how much they suck at games and often fail to understand basic mechanics. One phrase you'll often hear is, "Maybe the manual explains it, but I didn't read it." Discussing old games in-depth over a four week period without reading the manual... The best thing are the bonus interviews which are worth checking out in any case. They've had Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky on Fallout, Chris Avellone on PST, Julian Gollop on X-Com, and more, all listed in the link above.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thorin does good ESports content and he's a pretty funny bloke. Other than that...

Why the fuck do you want to listen to a gaming podcast?

deama

Prophet
Spoony used to do counter monkey content wherein he reviewed rulesets for tabletop games, anyone know of a channel that does that?

J1M

Arcane
https://archive.org/details/gfwpodcast&tab=collection

I liked the GFW podcasts. Basically some guys who were forced to make a podcast, not some fame seekers.

Petered out when Shawn Elliot left.

I think that for this type of content today you are more likely to find it in the form of youtube monologues. Easier in terms of logistics. Only need one person to produce content.

Here is a great video that saved me from having to play the rest of Nier:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
roguelike radio is really good. It's a no-nonsense Podcast that focuses on the topics that matters, i.e mechanics, design and game / rng theory.

deama

Prophet
Oh yeah, there's that supposed peado that does ruminations and loreruns, basically either making a detailed discussion of the game, or going through the lore of the game extensively. A while back he made a world of warcraft lorerun spanning 100+ episodes each 1+ hour long; I didn't watch all of it, but I watched a couple of episodes, they were pretty good if you care about the lore/story in games, he also went into some detail of the game's inception.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Archengeia/videos

Sadly he doesn't talk much about the mechanics of the games, mostly the stories.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Three Moves Ahead decline is real. I've been listening for years and years. And in the last six to twelve months SJW topics regularly make it on the show somehow. They never even tangentially referred to that nonsense in the almost ten years before. A shame.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't know what planet you guys are on, Three Moves Ahead always fucking blew. Bunch of pretentious, insufferable faggots, the whole lot of them, wanking endlessly about their useless "game design philosophy". I stopped listening to it 7 years ago. It gives me a headache just to think about it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
roguelike radio is really good. It's a no-nonsense Podcast that focuses on the topics that matters, i.e mechanics, design and game / rng theory.
Their older episodes are pretty great, but a lot of the later ones are discussing some forgettable 7drl trash and include like 1 guy that knows a legit roguelike really well and 1 guy that is pretty into FTL but thinks Crawl is just too hardcore. Listening to world record holders and developers discuss foodclock mechanics across a dozen different games and how they influence things is interesting, listening to some random guy talk about how roguelikes would be better if they were more inclusive and didn't have permadeath is not.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DevGameClub has already been mentioned. They play (mostly) older games and discuss them from game devs perspective.

For mainstream games, International podcast is pretty good, but they rarely cover anything outside the most popular AAA stuff.

For more niche and weaboo stuff there is Super Bunnyhop's podcast - Dad and Sons, but it often descends into lulz and madness.

Also, thanks for recommending roguelike radio - I have not heard of that one before, and it looks interesting.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We already had this thread.
Watch out for fireballs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom