Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG do you have greater expectations for?

Which RPG do you have greater expectations for

• Total voters

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But what do people have against HORSES?
Can't level up athletics on a horse. And really, we oughta be riding boars or summat.
If anything we could use, for a change, a crpg with an implementation of combat on horses, it's almost never done.
It's not without precedent in action rpgs and such but yes, implementing this in a Turn-based rpg is VERY rare.
Sacred 1 & 2, Skrim, Oblolion and M& B definitely had horses.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lotsa people here like it. You going to play it when it's all patched up?

Interesting question.

For the most part, I actually don't play RPGs for enjoyment anymore. As an adult, one puts away childish things. I only enjoy RPGs now in so far as I blog about them. And I only blog about them because I enjoy writing and have an audience and therefore a degree of influence.

When 1 mil people per year read my write-ups, I'm happy. When people learn from me, I'm happy. When people parrot what I say, even going so far as to employ my syntax and vocab, I'm happier still. So many terms I've coined and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm fucking proud as fuck about my influence. "fame" - what little I have - is the last thing I'll put to bed. But I'll walk away at the top of my game, I won't dwindle.

Could I blog about Pathfinder: Kingmaker? Sure. But in terms of SEO, and going up against the big guns/hype, I would be like a Codex shitposter lost in the shuffle of a megathread. I would be unread because my Indexing would be low-ranked. I'd have to fight tooth and nail to get impact on par with Infinity/Aurora. So yeah, I don't want to put in the hard yards again.

I've done it with BG. I've done it with NWN. I've proved my point. I'm untouchable in those spheres. Stick with what you know, polish it to high sheen until it glistens like a diamond. Only turds branch out and dilute themselves. Good luck to competitors going up against me because they get crushed by my King Content.

Fuck, I'm so proud. I am beaming with pride right now as I type this. It's a fun l'il hobby, blogging. Especially when you have ever-steepening viewership incline. I've been called a legend, great, and a hero. But mostly I've been called prolific. In this sphere, "Lilura1" will live for 20 years or more.

tbh, I'm glad the commonfolk get a kick out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Really, I am. There is no accounting for their taste, but I'll leave them be and I won't look down my nose at them and as I adjust my monocle. I refuse to snort in contempt at "the cattle". I'm sure there will be a great blogger like me that comes along in 20 years to write authoritative articles on Pathfinder: Kingmaker and its derivatives. I'm sure they will be read. This game will be as famous as Baldur's Gate. I mean, it's got a wiki full of stubs already.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Lotsa people here like it. You going to play it when it's all patched up?

Interesting question.

For the most part, I actually don't play RPGs for enjoyment anymore. As an adult, one puts away childish things. I only enjoy RPGs now in so far as I blog about them. And I only blog about them because I enjoy writing and have an audience and therefore a degree of influence.

When 1 mil people per year read my write-ups, I'm happy. When people learn from me, I'm happy. When people parrot what I say, even going so far as to employ my syntax and vocab, I'm happier still. So many terms I've coined and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm fucking proud as fuck about my influence. "fame" - what little I have - is the last thing I'll put to bed. But I'll walk away at the top of my game, I won't dwindle.

Could I blog about Pathfinder: Kingmaker? Sure. But in terms of SEO, and going up against the big guns/hype, I would be like a Codex shitposter lost in the shuffle of a megathread. I would be unread because my Indexing would be low-ranked. I'd have to fight tooth and nail to get impact on par with Infinity/Aurora. So yeah, I don't want to put in the hard yards again.

I've done it with BG. I've done it with NWN. I've proved my point. I'm untouchable in those spheres. Stick with what you know, polish it to high sheen until it glistens like a diamond. Only turds branch out and dilute themselves. Good luck to competitors going up against me because they get crushed by my King Content.

Fuck, I'm so proud. I am beaming with pride right now as I type this. It's a fun l'il hobby, blogging. Especially when you have ever-steepening viewership incline. I've been called a legend, great, and a hero. But mostly I've been called prolific. In this sphere, "Lilura1" will live for 20 years or more.

tbh, I'm glad the commonfolk get a kick out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Really, I am. There is no accounting for their taste, but I'll leave them be and I won't look down my nose at them and as I adjust my monocle. I refuse to snort in contempt at "the cattle". I'm sure there will be a great blogger like me that comes along in 20 years to write authoritative articles on Pathfinder: Kingmaker and its derivatives. I'm sure they will be read. This game will be as famous as Baldur's Gate. I mean, it's got a wiki full of stubs already.

How does it feel writing for the inferior gender? Does it reinforce your sense of superiority?

tindrli

Arcane
[...]

Take out the swords, the horses, the Elves, the magic, the DARK LORD, and anything resembling THE CHOSEN ONE.

This always baffle me. When were we the chosen one in any game (besides Skyrim) in the last years? Like the actual chosen one with a heroes journey, a mentor, etc. Without a "twist" or the try to deconstructe anything about it? To be honest, to see this trope played straight woud be refreshing now.
One thing I don't get. I understand (and even share) the dislike for overusing of elements like Elves, the Dark Lord, the Chosen One... etc.
But what do people have against HORSES? If anything we could use, for a change, a crpg with an implementation of combat on horses, it's almost never done. Horses often don't even play any role even in travel. All that despite all those generic fantasy settings including mounted troops, chivalry and so on. But nothing in game mechanics to reflect it. If anything we need more horses.
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
[...]

Take out the swords, the horses, the Elves, the magic, the DARK LORD, and anything resembling THE CHOSEN ONE.

This always baffle me. When were we the chosen one in any game (besides Skyrim) in the last years? Like the actual chosen one with a heroes journey, a mentor, etc. Without a "twist" or the try to deconstructe anything about it? To be honest, to see this trope played straight woud be refreshing now.
One thing I don't get. I understand (and even share) the dislike for overusing of elements like Elves, the Dark Lord, the Chosen One... etc.
But what do people have against HORSES? If anything we could use, for a change, a crpg with an implementation of combat on horses, it's almost never done. Horses often don't even play any role even in travel. All that despite all those generic fantasy settings including mounted troops, chivalry and so on. But nothing in game mechanics to reflect it. If anything we need more horses.
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
Ideally, I would prefer to see horses brought to life into CRPGs, not to beat the dead one. :smug:

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atm, I'm digging through NWN2 mods. I hope to find another one that is worth writing about.

People who played Fallout when it first came out are not the sort of people who purchase a current gen RPG in 2018. Also, I don't see many Fallout fans on the 'Dex. There are a few but not like there used to be. They've moved on, and for good reason.

This Lilura post was deleted before I could rate it, so I'll do it manually: :negative:

Fairfax

Arcane
Atm, I'm digging through NWN2 mods. I hope to find another one that is worth writing about.

People who played Fallout when it first came out are not the sort of people who purchase a current gen RPG in 2018. Also, I don't see many Fallout fans on the 'Dex. There are a few but not like there used to be. They've moved on, and for good reason.

This Lilura post was deleted before I could rate it, so I'll do it manually: :negative:
I saw it too. She also deleted a post telling Theldaran to fuck off.

What's wrong, Lilura? :M

Have you played Mysteries of Westgate? Don't think I've seen you write anything about it.

Judging by old threads, my impression is that the Codex has always favoured BIS games. FO1 is still extremely popular, though I've noticed 2015-2018ers who prefer FO2.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Have you played Mysteries of Westgate? Don't think I've seen you write anything about it.

It's ok. The problem is that it has already received a lot of commentary: the Tree of Knowledge has been plucked, all's known.

Judging by old threads, my impression is that the Codex has always favoured BIS games. FO1 is still extremely popular, though I've noticed 2015-2018ers who prefer FO2.

There used to be a hard core of Fallout vets. It's nothing like that now. Same with NMA. People should get banned for attempting to devalue Fallout's legacy.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just chiming in, but thinking about it now, I think the greatest expectation for an RPG, to me, are for these:
uQblDMX.png
poster_FS.jpg
to be finished, and for this
8628F38E2706AC8C694E95EBABF27E8E8460A131
to be fully translated.

Sadly, it's been a LONG while since Mutants Rising guys updated at all my bad, Mutants Rising guy actually updated few months ago, but I just hoped they regularly keep us updated if only monthly. at least we still have a chance to get our hands on fully translated Olympus 2207 because not too long ago I checked the thread about it on Iron Tower Studio's Russian forum and it seems they're progressing, even though it's been months since they last updated :negative:. Also, Fallout Sonora developer is the exact same as the one who made Fallout of Nevada, and he doesn't show any sign of being tired or burned, so :dance:

There used to be a hard core of Fallout vets. It's nothing like that now. Same with NMA. People should get banned for attempting to devalue Fallout's legacy.
Yeah, it's kinda sad. I just finished Fallout 1 for nth time like over a week ago and I have no trouble going through (in fact, my hunger for anything Fallout has been rekindled after months of vacuum), but with Fallout 2, because of its sheer size I'm already felt like I'm getting burned. I really can't understand those guys who preferred an RPG longer than 70-80 hours or even 100 hours long. Even in NMA there are waves of newfags who preferred New Vegas's 'Fallout experience' to that of Fallout 1&2's.

Anyway, have you guys tried Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada? Their writing might nowhere close to Fallout 1&2's, but damn they took the gameplay and turned it up to eleven.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Disco Elysium, plain and simple.

Also I would warn you putting any hopes on Olimpus 2077 dude, it's not Fallout Nevada.

Black Angel

Arcane
Also I would warn you putting any hopes on Olimpus 2077 dude, it's not Fallout Nevada.
I've heard that it's nowhere near as good experience compared to other TC mod, but I still want to play it anyway. More RPGs that are using Fallout1&2's engine are more than welcome.

Also, any sane person who've been touched by the incline that's Fallout of Nevada will never be the same again, as nearly nothing could ever come close to satisfy their altered palate, so I'm ready to adjust my expectation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom